Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State Comes back from 31-6 halftime deficit to win!

Started by WilsonHog, September 27, 2007, 07:28:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ark30inf

Quote from: bradleywright89 on September 28, 2007, 08:13:15 am
Quote from: MountieDawg on September 28, 2007, 07:49:09 am
GO INDIANS!!!   Which Division one team in the state has the best record in the state?  ASU!!!  Plus they have played Texas, Tenneessee, SMU and Memphis....  Not a bad schedule...

I went to ASU, but grew up a Hogs fan, so i root for them both.  But this schedule you speak of...........they lost to Texas, Tenn and SMU and Memphis are horrible.  I think ASU's real test will be against Troy.

ASU has always had Troy's number....but they are tough.  On the reverse...you can't judge by Middle Tennessee's record because Middle Tennessee has a habit of beating the crap out of ASU no matter what their records are or where they are.  ASU cannot have a letdown in conference play like they did last night in the first half and expect to go anywhere in the Sun Belt.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 28, 2007, 08:26:45 am
ASU football is becoming the feel-good sports story in the state this fall. If the Indians play as well in the Sun Belt as they have non-conference, they could be looking at 9 or 10 wins.

Good for them. I bet they are loving life in Jonesboro.

Oh, and the fact that last night's miracle comeback was over Memphis...say goodnight, Tommy West.

I wonder with all the jobs that may open up at the end of the season if Roberts might get a look from some bigger programs.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 27, 2007, 09:30:52 pm
I thought this was an Arkansas Razorbacks message board.  Shouldn't this be in the General Sports forum.

Good call Dwight. You take the names down of the naughty people so we can tell the teacher when she gets back. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

ark30inf

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 28, 2007, 08:40:15 am
I wonder with all the jobs that may open up at the end of the season if Roberts might get a look from some bigger programs.

That's the horror of being a minor-major.  You finally get something going and get raided and are back to square one.  It depends on how important the money is and how much of it is thrown out there.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on September 28, 2007, 08:50:21 am
I thought this was an Arkansas Razorbacks message board.  Shouldn't this be in the General Sports forum.

Good call Dwight. You take the names down of the naughty people so we can tell the teacher when she gets back. :'( :'( :'( :'(

As stated earlier I was just trying to help the Huggers out since they haven't been around much.  It is usually their job to chime in with an assinine comment like that but since they are MIA, I picked up the mantle.  It was an upopular move, but I made the sacrifice. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogginuplittlerock

i dunno if anyone saw the highlights, but WOW memphis was really stickin it to them! they had like all these trick plays and reversals and ASTATE just couldn't stop it. but then they totally pulled an arkansas and went all conservative and did they pay for it

that 89 yard punt return for a touchdown by their WR Kevin jones was probably the sweetest thing i've ever seen. but fear not hog fans, we're about ready to go 2-0 in sunbelt play when we take on the lean-mean-greens of north tex@$$  ;D

Flatfoot

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 28, 2007, 08:26:45 am
ASU football is becoming the feel-good sports story in the state this fall. If the Indians play as well in the Sun Belt as they have non-conference, they could be looking at 9 or 10 wins.

Good for them. I bet they are loving life in Jonesboro.

Oh, and the fact that last night's miracle comeback was over Memphis...say goodnight, Tommy West.

ASU may have helped Memphis decide they need a Nutt to run their football program.  Maybe State just did us the biggest favor of all.  Helping us get rid of Dale to Memphis.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 28, 2007, 09:06:03 am
Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on September 28, 2007, 08:50:21 am

As stated earlier I was just trying to help the Huggers out since they haven't been around much.  It is usually their job to chime in with an assinine comment like that but since they are MIA, I picked up the mantle.  It was an upopular move, but I made the sacrifice. 

LOL  All in good fun.

I agree; at this point in the Razorback season, we need some levity to brighten the mood. Thanks.

dougieritch

Quote from: razorhead69 on September 27, 2007, 07:29:15 pm
Good. State sucks!

At least they have a QB and the ability to pass downfield.

We can all be proud of one Arkansas school...Great Comback ASU!

Dwight_K_Shrute

ASU winning just helps the cause as far as I am concerned.  Maybe Steve Roberts would get hired away and Houston would just need to move a few hours to the East.  It would be one big Nutt family reunion.  He wouldn't even need to build a new fence.

Scarlet n Black

Hog Fans, we appreciate the kind words about our football team and coach.  I have to admit that when we were down 31-6, I was dog cussing everybody--the team, the coaches, my friends, brother, wife, kids, Houston Nutt, I mean everybody.  For some reason though I felt we could at least make a game of it.  I thought we had a decent football team and they proved me right. 

Coach Roberts will hopefully someday get a shot at a coaching job in a major conference, which is bittersweet for ASU fans.  This means we're having success but we lose a good coach and great guy.  What's great about we've got at ASU is that our whole coaching staff is FIRST CLASS from top to bottom.  You guys remember David Gunn, former Razorback that's now our running backs coach.  One of the nicest and most genuine guys you'll ever meet. And he can coach. Our whole staff is this way.  Their focus is recruiting Character.  We can't compete with you guys and the other SEC schools for talent.  But we can get decent talent with a lot of character.  It's paying off for us. 

I doubt we'll ever be on a SEC level, but if we can beat the CUSA schools and maybe sneak up on bigger school, win our conference and go bowling... with the budget we work with, we're definitely getting our money's worth.

I know this is a Hog board, but we do appreciate your support.  As far as HDN goes, probably a great guy, but as an outsider looking in, it's probably time for a change on the Hill.  You have WAY too much support, facilities, $$$, talent, etc... to be 1-2.  Hope you win out.

hogbalz

Quote from: mhogs on September 28, 2007, 02:24:18 am
Quote from: RoyalHog on September 28, 2007, 01:11:58 am
I was at the game tonight. Here's my thoughts:

1) Reggie Arnold went out early with a leg injury. After Memphis got out front early, I didn't see ASu coming back.

2) Watching the D-lineman from Memphis run that fumble back 80+ yards was high comedy. It was like it was in slow motion.

3) I almost left at halftime. Glad I decided to stick around.

4) Corey Leonard is the best QB in the state of Arkansas this year. Dick isn't close.

5) The ASU offense is about 10 times as sophisticated as the pure crap we witness for the Razorbacks. Steve Roberts would be able to win McFadden the Heisman AND be 3-0 right now. That's right, Steve Roberts > Houston Nutt. More with less? Roberts is doing it, not Nutt.

6) There was probably close to 20,000 there tonight, less than the 26,000 or so announced but more than what you normally see for an ASU game. Talked to one guy wearing a Hog hat that said he's given up on the Hogs until Nutt is gone. I seconded the notion.

7) I'm not so sure the Hogs would beat ASU this year. The Hogs have a definite advantage in overall talent but they ASU has a decisive advantage at QB, possibly WR, and definitely coaching.

I'll be going back to more ASU games this year and I'm going to encourage anyone I can to bail on the Hogs this season in favor of going to see ASU this year. A coach with a shred of integrity and an offense that is balanced. A QB that can (or is allowed to) throw the ball down the field further than 10 yards. A fan base that has become unified behind a common goal (instead of being tore apart because our coach won't do his damn job).

I didn't realize how pathetic things had got for the Razorbacks until tonight. ASU isn't far off from being on Arkansas's level as long as Houston Nutt is there.

That d-lineman tried to commit to the hogs a couple of times...

That was Freddie Barnett for Memphis that ran it back. I think he had some grade problems that kept him from being a Hog. Looked like a freaking army tank going down the field. ;D
In doing your work in the great world, it is a safe plan to follow a rule I once heard on the football field: Don't flinch, don't fall; hit the line hard.
--Theodore Roosevelt

If you don't make a total commitment to whatever you're doing, then you start looking to bail out the first time the boat starts leaking. It's tough enough getting that boat to shore with everybody rowing, let alone when a guy stands up and starts putting his jacket on.
--Lou Holtz

Boothog

Decided at the last minute to go to this game....boy am I glad I did!!  Like some of the others I was almost ready to pack it in at the half, but we said if State came out and scored pretty quick we would tough it out. 

I would give anything to see Leonard at QB for the Hogs.  This kid has an absolute cannon for an arm!!  Although he needs to learn to take some off of it at times, he is young and that can be corrected.  The only thing that worries me is how much he runs.  He was the leading rusher last night (although the starting RB did go out early) but he is not a big kid and you have to consider the injury issue.  Not saying he is in the same class yet, but he did look alot like a certain number 9 that ran the offense for the Hogs a couple of years ago.  He never seemed to get rattled ever being down 25 pts so early and I think thats what impressed me the most.

I will definitely try to get back over for another game as soon as I can.  Nice win ASU!!

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Boothog on September 28, 2007, 10:42:52 am
Decided at the last minute to go to this game....boy am I glad I did!!  Like some of the others I was almost ready to pack it in at the half, but we said if State came out and scored pretty quick we would tough it out. 

I would give anything to see Leonard at QB for the Hogs.  This kid has an absolute cannon for an arm!!  Although he needs to learn to take some off of it at times, he is young and that can be corrected.  The only thing that worries me is how much he runs.  He was the leading rusher last night (although the starting RB did go out early) but he is not a big kid and you have to consider the injury issue.  Not saying he is in the same class yet, but he did look alot like a certain number 9 that ran the offense for the Hogs a couple of years ago.  He never seemed to get rattled ever being down 25 pts so early and I think thats what impressed me the most.

I will definitely try to get back over for another game as soon as I can.  Nice win ASU!!
Corey had ofers from Ole Miss and South Carolina, but it was to play DB and he wanted to be a QB.  Worked out well for us.  He doesn't normally run THAT much and most of the runs were after we were in a big hole and it was a product of using the spread offense and taking what they give you.  When Reggie comes back and we aren't down 25 I imagine ASU will utilize the RBs once again.  Whatever the reason, he did what it took to win.

Glad you came out. 

Boothog

Quote from: Kicking Wing on September 28, 2007, 12:40:50 pm
Quote from: Boothog on September 28, 2007, 10:42:52 am

Corey had ofers from Ole Miss and South Carolina, but it was to play DB and he wanted to be a QB.  Worked out well for us.  He doesn't normally run THAT much and most of the runs were after we were in a big hole and it was a product of using the spread offense and taking what they give you.  When Reggie comes back and we aren't down 25 I imagine ASU will utilize the RBs once again.  Whatever the reason, he did what it took to win.

Glad you came out. 

Oh, I agree it was definitely working...every time Memphis expected the pass, it was Leonard up the middle for a nice gain.  I just started to worry a little after he started carrying it so much. 

MountieDawg

SEC!

Tone

Off the subject, but Memphis has to turn around and play Marshall on Tuesday according to the schedule.  Is this correct? 

Porkahontas

Quote from: hogbalz on September 28, 2007, 09:56:57 am
That was Freddie Barnett for Memphis that ran it back. I think he had some grade problems that kept him from being a Hog. Looked like a freaking army tank going down the field. ;D

That was Freddie Barnett?!

Holy smokes. Watching him rumble down the field being pursued by the ASU offensive lineman was like watching two senior citizens run the mile. Two huge fellas rumbling the length of the field. I could hear 'em weezing all the way up on the east bleachers.

That was a hell of a game. I'll be attending the rest of 'em this year hopefully unless I'm out of town.

Oh, and I had the chance to get 6 Razorback tickets given to me for the North Texas game today and decided to pass on them. After last night, there's no way in hell I can stomach watching Houston Nutt's mediocre play-calling and personnel moves after a 5 hour drive to and from RRS.

I'm honestly a bigger Injun fan right now than a Hog fan, thanks to Houston Nutt.

Go Tribe ivory billed woodpeckers hellbenders ASU!

DeltaBoy

September 28, 2007, 01:53:04 pm #119 Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:06:32 pm by DeltaBoy
Quote from: mclyte on September 27, 2007, 09:23:37 pm
Memphis Coach Tommy West gets the Houston nutt award... Blows a lead getting conservative!  Go stAte!

ROFL +1

Well A-State put Tommy West Career at UM to rest . Way to go Indians!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

5 little pigs

I attended ASU as well and they have had some good teams over the years.  Been down a long time but Roberts is doing a great job.  Congrats on a good season thus far.  They have performed alot better than Arkansas, but Ark has Houston Nutt around it's neck.

greatwhitehope

I advise you guys to drop the "we" and "them" stuff.  Be "we" for both or "we" for ASU and be glad Roberts and Leonard are Indians.  You will have a team to be proud of.

Really though, I encrouage everyone to come out and see the Indians this season, maybe we can pull out something special.

jrfan

I watched the 10 news on channel 5 and Mike made no mention that AR State was even playing.  This was after the game was over and the come back complete.  Our local media would rather AR State go away!!!

chiefsfan

Quote from: bradleywright89 on September 28, 2007, 08:06:47 am
Yeah their offense is great, i bet you wouldnt say that when i went to schoo,there in 05-06 and watched a 3-0 OVERTIME GAME. Also, someone was giving ASU credit for almost beating Texas?  When the hell does almost beating someone count? Ark almost beat Bama, Ark almost had the best QB in its history last year.  With all that being said, ASU has really inproved under Roberts, no more 1-10 seasons.  But i think for ASU to be taken seriously they should move to Conference USA.

you sir, are a moron...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

slopinhogs

sounds like the hogs games don't it ,ahead  for a while and lose in the end.  hats off to state on a well played 2nd half. that came from the coaching at half time . :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

As mentioned, Roberts is all class.  In his radio post game he was asked what in the world he said at halftime.  His reply was (1) the asst. coaches made some good adjustment and (2) everything else will stay behind that door.

Some coaches coming from that far behind might have been a little more self-promoting.

ark30inf

Quote from: greatwhitehope on September 28, 2007, 03:56:16 pm
I advise you guys to drop the "we" and "them" stuff.  Be "we" for both or "we" for ASU and be glad Roberts and Leonard are Indians.  You will have a team to be proud of.

Really though, I encrouage everyone to come out and see the Indians this season, maybe we can pull out something special.

Nothing would please me more than to see SEC, Sun Belt, and Southland conf champs all Arkansas one year.

Boarcephus

I have no problem at all pulling for ASU and enjoy doing so.  Couldn't help but slip over to Wilson's Pickem's thinking since I picked ASU to win I might make up some ground.  Wrong. 

It's getting very easy to root for Roberts club.  Hope they win out because the hogs are not going to.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.