Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will the Hogs schedule ASU??

Started by TNRazorbacker, September 19, 2007, 04:02:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TNRazorbacker

With Frank leaving at the end of the year what do you think the chances of the Hogs scheduling ASU in the future are?

I've always been a little torn on this myself. Frank may be a controlling, meddling, dictator but he's also a been one heck of a business man, and has generally made the right decisions when it comes to whats best for the University. I'm sure from a business standpoint he's had his reasons for this policy. I'd love to see a real in-state rivalry develop, but I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice the Hogs for it. Just curious as to what everyone else's takes are in regard.

Bomis Hawg

HogSophist

If you mean appalachian state, then NO ;)
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

BigDeal

We should definitely play. Frank's argument holds no water from a recruiting standpoint and playing the game would be good economically for the state of Arkansas as well as Arkansas State.

The only thing I am torn between is whether the game should be played in Little Rock or Fayetteville. Definitely not Jonesboro, as stAte doesn't have the type of program to command an home and home series. However, a Little Rock game could be great for the state and city of Little Rock.

biggiepiggie

They should, in Little Rock.  Heck, everybody else plays them.  It would help
us and them both.  I'm not sure we could beat them this year.

Kendall

Make them come to Fayetteville to play, if they can beat us at our place then we will go to Jonesboro to play the next year.

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

arkjay19

I doubt it.  But it would be nice for Long to come in and shake things up to encourage the fan base.  Adding more seats to the football stadium, scheduling ASU, putting a Razorback in the middle of the football field, etc.

Kendall

Quote from: arkhog9 on September 19, 2007, 04:46:36 pm
I doubt it.  But it would be nice for Long to come in and shake things up to encourage the fan base.  Adding more seats to the football stadium, scheduling ASU, putting a Razorback in the middle of the football field, etc.

Dont forget moving all games to the hill.

King Smack

Why would the Razorbacks play little brother? It is a no win situation for the UofA. We beat them.... we are suppose too. There is nothing to gain in playing them.
Practice doesn't make perfect......Perfect practice makes perfect- Vince Lombardi

PigPusher

It's time we did. Bunches of other schools do it.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

hogzirra

Quote from: Kendall on September 19, 2007, 04:39:55 pm
Make them come to Fayetteville to play, if they can beat us at our place then we will go to Jonesboro to play the next year.

You sir, have just had a moment of genius!  A challenge of sorts laid out for the ASU faithful.  You call us chickensh&@t for not playing then why don't you boys come up to Fayetteville, you win we'll even come to your place next year.  But not until then....

"The smell of fat chicks throws my spine out of place"

-David Bowie

mj4president

Why in world do people want this game? Don't say peole would rather see this game over Auburn or Tennessee etc because they dont. You think they would pay 100 a ticket like some fool said earlier this year then your wrong. They are a crappy school that we should not play. If we win so what, but if we lose then we are a laughing stock.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Jim

As long as there's merit in playing every other team in the SBC, we look foolish for NOT playing ASU.

Scratch that...

Scared may be a much better word.

If the PTB want to end this debate, quit scheduling SBC teams.  Very simple.  Pick up some Big 12 or Pac 10 or ACC games for your OOC schedule.  Otherwise, you keep the TN-Chatts and any directional LA schools and this question keeps coming up.

We gain ZILCH-O by playing the Sunbelt to begin with.  If all they are are "rent a wins" then ASU should just line up and take their lumps with the rest of them.

claycohog

This topic goes a little further than many of you think.  Meaning this goes a little deeper than our new A.D.  Our Govener is an A-STATE grad. and is pushing for this hard behind the scenes.  There is even a rumor that it was agreed that the new BOT member (which the GOV. appointed) is for the match-up also and that was the final issue that allowed him to be placed on the BOT.  CHICKENS!  Of course, Broyles being forced to retire doesn't hurt the plan one little bit.  This will be an interesting topic in the months to come.  This becoming reality may be a little closer than many people think.

COWPOKENHAWG

Heck no... hogs have nothing to gain from doing that...
"This your bush, you king of the forest"

Boog41

Quote from: COWPOKENHAWG on September 19, 2007, 05:48:41 pm
Heck no... hogs have nothing to gain from doing that...

You beat me to it Cowpike...... Can anyone list some some of the gains the HOGS would get by playing ASU? It won't help economically because all our games are sold out anyway. It sure can't help recruiting in any way. I honestly can't think of any upside for the HOGS.

One Bad Boy

Spiral_cut

Feel free to smack this dead horse again..

//No, we will never play asu

1texashogfan

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on September 19, 2007, 04:02:14 pm
With Frank leaving at the end of the year what do you think the chances of the Hogs scheduling ASU in the future are?

I've always been a little torn on this myself. Frank may be a controlling, meddling, dictator but he's also a been one heck of a business man, and has generally made the right decisions when it comes to whats best for the University. I'm sure from a business standpoint he's had his reasons for this policy. I'd love to see a real in-state rivalry develop, but I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice the Hogs for it. Just curious as to what everyone else's takes are in regard.

I would prefer to see a real out-of-state rivaly develop.  Commanding year in and year out respect from LSU, Bama, TN.  There is no upside to playing ASU, UAPB, UCA, etc.
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.  Winston Churchill

WHITEPW

Is there any upside to playing the other sunbelt teams we play this year.  They play an SEC school every year.  What difference would it make.   

HeathWimp

We will never play Arkansas State until Frank's ghost is dead.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

WBChogfan

Quote from: King Smack on September 19, 2007, 04:56:43 pm
Why would the Razorbacks play little brotherTroy, Tenn-Chat., FIU, etc. ? It is a no win situation for the UofA. We beat them.... we are suppose too. There is nothing to gain in playing them.

Fixed it!

football-writer

Why would the Razorbacks play little brother? It is a no win situation for the UofA. We beat them.... we are suppose too. There is nothing to gain in playing them.

Yet we'll play Troy, ULM, UL-La, North Texas...four universities IN THE SAME CONFERENCE as ASU but we won't play ASU....sad.  If we're not gonna play ASU, let's drop the other FOUR Sunbelt teams and pick up some Conference USA teams or Big XII teams...

PLUS, the last time a UA team played a team from ASU was a couple of years ago in the Women's NIT...ASU won by 30 points.
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

WBChogfan

ASU-Ark would be a GOOD game this year.

Maybe we can just kidnap Corey Leonard and put him in Casey Dick's jersey this Saturday!

Jellohawg

I say lets do it! Maybe the ASU fans will finally get some sleep!

Powerbacker

All you need for an example of what could take place if Arkansas played ASU is the state of Mississippi. Small state with a population base similar to our state. You might think that fan support would never dwindle at the U of A, but over a period of time, the monopoly Arkansas has could very well be drained substantially.

Boog41

I've yet to see anyone list any items that are on the upside for the HOGS in this match-up. It sure isn't recruiting or finances.

RazorsEdge

Quote from: Boog41 on September 19, 2007, 08:45:58 pm
I've yet to see anyone list any items that are on the upside for the HOGS in this match-up. It sure isn't recruiting or finances.
The upside for the Hogs is they would get to play a SunBelt team every year and not get grief over it since it is an instate rival.
  The money wouldn't be any different.  For example:  Texas pays ASU $750,000 to play (+750,000 for the state) and Arkansas pays North Texas $750,000 to play (-750,000 for the state and a net of zero)

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: Kendall on September 19, 2007, 04:51:20 pm
Quote from: arkhog9 on September 19, 2007, 04:46:36 pm

Dont forget moving all games to the hill.

Great, I look forward to that day with much anticipation.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

Texman

Quote from: Powerbacker on September 19, 2007, 08:39:34 pm
  All you need for an example of what could take place if Arkansas played ASU is the state of Mississippi. Small state with a population base similar to our state. You might think that fan support would never dwindle at the U of A, but over a period of time, the monopoly Arkansas has could very well be drained substantially.

It sounds like this falls under the "scared" category.

orvillesghost

Arkansas would have nothing to gain from playing ASU. We should never play them period.

dafe1

Quote from: NolanForAD on September 19, 2007, 09:20:19 pm
It would be a terrible mistake.  What could Arkansas gain?   Nothing.   What could we lose?   If we played them next year, we would probably lose.   Think about that.

What's the difference between playing ASU and Troy? Other than keeping money in-state of course... Durr!

dafe1

Quote from: orvillesghost on September 19, 2007, 09:11:02 pm
Arkansas would have nothing to gain from playing ASU. We should never play them period.

You're right.  We should also probably stop playing the other 23 sun belt teams we scheduled this year.
Logic -1

naturalbornpigger

RazorsEdge

Tulane beat LSU in '81 & '82, now they are....wait.
Memphis beat Tennessee in '96 and now Memphis is a ....

Losing wouldn't be the end of the world like everyone thinks it would be.  We have four common opponents this year, so they will be sizing themselves up anyway.

Nolan came extremely close to losing to ASU and it wasn't the end of the world.

I don't care if we play them or not.  It's like the rest of the SunBelt games, not much to get excited about. 

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: biggiepiggie on September 19, 2007, 04:35:35 pm
They should, in Little Rock.  Heck, everybody else plays them.  It would help
us and them both.  I'm not sure we could beat them this year.
Heeeeeeeeeeere we go........

riccoar

Quote from: RazorsEdge on September 19, 2007, 09:53:36 pm
Nolan came extremely close to losing to ASU and it wasn't the end of the world.

It would have been the end of the road had he lost.  I think Nolan would tell you that himself.

riccoar

I say let them play.  I'd be willing to bet that Arkansas State would agree to alternate between playing in Little Rock and Fayetteville just to get a game.  Arkansas will always be the flagship university, but this game would be astronomically huge.  Just imagine every time this has come up the number of times people have said it would never happen.  I can still remember the anticipation of when we met in the NIT.

RazorsEdge

Quote from: riccoar on September 19, 2007, 10:20:24 pm
I say let them play.  I'd be willing to bet that Arkansas State would agree to alternate between playing in Little Rock and Fayetteville just to get a game.  Arkansas will always be the flagship university, but this game would be astronomically huge.  Just imagine every time this has come up the number of times people have said it would never happen.  I can still remember the anticipation of when we met in the NIT.
stAte played their home half of a series with OkState at War Memorial.

bkofkells

If Arkansas State beats Tennessee this Saturday (not outside the realm of possibility there will be enormous pressure from East Arkansas (cotton, rice, soy beans and wild duck country) to play Arkansas. I think the time has come to make this like Iowa-Iowa State, Kansas-Kansas State, Michigan-Michigan State, WVa-Marshall. Play it in LR every year and dump a La Directional game.

HatfieldHog

There is no good reason for Arkansas and Arkansas State to play a football game.  The U of A could not benefit from the game, and that is reason enough to not play it.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

MountieDawg

Nothing to gain by beating all the directional Louisanna schools either or any of the Sun Belt teams...  Other than a easy victory the fans dont want to watch.... the fans would rather watch an in state game that at least their would be some antimosity.... Not a single fan is pumped up saying I cant wait to play troy
SEC!

CusefaninAR

Quote from: mj4president on September 19, 2007, 05:20:44 pm
They are a crappy school that we should not play.

As opposed to all the other crappy Sun Belt schools that Arkansas should not, but does, play

Hogginitall

I hope not.  There's nothing to gain for Arkansas. 

CusefaninAR

Quote from: bkofkells on September 20, 2007, 08:04:01 am
If Arkansas State beats Tennessee this Saturday (not outside the realm of possibility there will be enormous pressure from East Arkansas (cotton, rice, soy beans and wild duck country) to play Arkansas. I think the time has come to make this like Iowa-Iowa State, Kansas-Kansas State, Michigan-Michigan State, WVa-Marshall. Play it in LR every year and dump a La Directional game.

A good example except for the fact that Kansas has to play Kansas State, and Michigan has to play Michigan State.  Other good examples of in-state non-conference rivalries (which are a heck of a lot tougher than ASU-UA would be):  Clemson-South Carolina, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Fla. St-Miami-Florida.  You don't see any of those schools using 50-year old cheesy excuses to duck in-state opponents.  Oh, yeah...don't they all, except for South Carolina, have national championships under their belts?

Hogginitall

Quote from: MountieDawg on September 20, 2007, 08:07:33 am
Nothing to gain by beating all the directional Louisanna schools either or any of the Sun Belt teams...  Other than a easy victory the fans dont want to watch.... the fans would rather watch an in state game that at least their would be some antimosity.... Not a single fan is pumped up saying I cant wait to play troy

The deal is, Arkansas State has everything to gain.  If they beat Arkansas, it would be the talk of the nation.  If Arkansas beats them by 20 pts like the should, nobody talks about it.  Arkansas wouldn't get any credit for beating them, but would take a huge blow nationally and statewide if they lost to them.  It would be stupid to play them, in my opinion.

1texashogfan

I would only support THE UNIVERSITY playing A-State if Houston Nutt was coaching A-state.   
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.  Winston Churchill

Dr Swineglove

September 20, 2007, 09:10:35 am #48 Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 09:12:52 am by Dr Swineglove
Quote from: BigDeal on September 19, 2007, 04:07:21 pm
We should definitely play. Frank's argument holds no water from a recruiting standpoint and playing the game would be good economically for the state of Arkansas as well as Arkansas State.

The only thing I am torn between is whether the game should be played in Little Rock or Fayetteville. Definitely not Jonesboro, as stAte doesn't have the type of program to command an home and home series. However, a Little Rock game could be great for the state and city of Little Rock.

I noticed you mentioned a lot about this match up being good for the state of Arkansas, and being good for Arkansas State, but I don't see anything about this being good for the University of Arkansas.  If it's not good for the UofA, why do it?  IMO, our Hogs shouldn't be used as a charity helping to underwrite ASU football and Waste Management Stadium.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

John Futrall

September 20, 2007, 09:13:14 am #49 Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 09:14:45 am by mikeyg31
Quote from: orvillesghost on September 19, 2007, 09:11:02 pm

What do we gain from playing UT Chattanooga? (I really don't know)

OR....

What does S. Carolina gain by playing SC State?