Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why doesn't Arkansas play ASU?? POLL

Started by Mark Lericos, July 03, 2007, 05:28:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Didn't vote because none applied.  Nothing to lose, just nothing to gain.  At least we can get some recruiting exposure in SE Alabama by playing Troy.

SandeHog

ESPN is already joking about us having such a weak schedule. ASU wouldn't make it any better.

THROWITDEEP

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 03, 2007, 10:04:18 pm
Quote from: PorkOpine on July 03, 2007, 05:52:28 pm
Quote from: BigDeal on July 03, 2007, 05:46:59 pm
Arkansas should play Arkansas State. However, the games should always be played on Arkansas' home field just like the other Sun Belt schools.

Arkansas plays ULM in War Memorial.  I would expect them to play ASU there as well.

And isn't ULM the designated home team in WMS, so they'll get to count the 50k fans there toward retaining Division I status?

I was told that happened because of what Dean Lee did to Frank Broyles.  He basically set up a meeting with Frank (Not to talk about a game with the Indians or whoever their mascot is) and then went into the meeting and actually talked about a game with him.  It made Frank so mad that he made ULM a home game for ULM.

VenturaHog

This is one of the few things I agree with Broyles on these days. We have nothing to gain from this, there is no need to give them a hand up and sacrifice our in state recruiting. It wouldn't be an issue immediately but it could certainly become one over say the next 10-15 years.

Seminole-Indian

I'm an ASU fan and while it is an absolute fact that the majority of Razorback fans favor a game, if people charged with running the U of A do not want to play then no one should force them to.

As for me, the NIT games in men's and women's basketball cured me of the "how log will they run" mentality I had previously had. They could have said no and they did not and it showed neither school is afraid to play the other and that is a fact.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: VenturaHog on July 04, 2007, 03:54:00 am
This is one of the few things I agree with Broyles on these days. We have nothing to gain from this, there is no need to give them a hand up and sacrifice our in state recruiting. It wouldn't be an issue immediately but it could certainly become one over say the next 10-15 years.

If you can't recruit against a Sun Belt team in your state, you don't belong in the SEC.  Sorry.   ;D

CORZRBACKFAN

Quote from: TexasHogfan on July 03, 2007, 06:17:15 pm
Ask Colorado how that series with Colorado State has "helped" in solidifing in-state recuits?

Don't cut off your nose folks!

You are absolutely correct. Same scenario would exist with Arkansas-ASU, but with much less hatred involved. Can you imagine the fallout of losing to ASU? If we win, we're supposed to, and we get no credit. And why would we potentially want to cut off part of our fanbase? If UA-ASU played every year, people that went to ASU would probably not take as well to the Hogs. Arkansas has statewide support that is very unique in college athletics-let's keep it that way. Playing ASU? Not a good idea at all!
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

John Futrall

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on July 03, 2007, 05:44:31 pm
Both Michigan and Michigan State play Mid American teams, Western Michigan - Central Michigan - Eastern Michigan, and the Big Ten doesn't always win.

Central Michigan has beaten MSU twice since 1991....The other teams haven't beaten UM or MSU since 1917

SouthpawSensation

OK, here's another view of this situation ...
When I find a recipe I find enticing, I give it a shot and fix that meal. My kids may snarl their noses at first, but what do I tell them? "Don't knock it until you try it."
Sometimes the kids like it and want it again. Sometimes they don't like it, and even I get disgusted with it and vow to never try it again.
Let's put this same spin on an Arkansas-ASU game. We've never seen this before, except in one men's and one women's NIT basketball games.
Let's at least give it a shot for two, three or four years and see at least how it pans out. It could prove to be a great rivalry. It could become disastrous. But at least give it a taste before we render total judgement on it.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: mikeyg31 on July 04, 2007, 01:57:22 pm
Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on July 03, 2007, 05:44:31 pm
Both Michigan and Michigan State play Mid American teams, Western Michigan - Central Michigan - Eastern Michigan, and the Big Ten doesn't always win.

Central Michigan has beaten MSU twice since 1991....The other teams haven't beaten UM or MSU since 1917

And a week after the games nobody really cared who won and who lost.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

hogvan

The Razorbacks have nothing whatsoever to gain from playing ASU.  We do not need to be in competition with them at this time or anytime in the future.  This is the ONLY time I probably agree with JFB. I live in NE Arkansas and I personally would hate to see this happen.  It would only help ASU no matter what the outcome would be.  If you watch any of their games, you don't want our hogs to play at their level and that could very well happen.  We already have broken fences in recruiting and this would help sway a few more probably!

Choctaw Hog

July 04, 2007, 03:55:02 pm #61 Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 04:20:58 pm by Choctaw Hog
Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 03, 2007, 05:28:11 pm

Been a hot topic over the years... and one I don't quite understand.  All the criticism over Arkansas's schedule this year and the cupcake opponents. Now while Troy isn't a cupcake, they are out of the Sun Belt (just like ASU) and no one in this state knows them.  why not schedule the Indians and spice up the non-conference slate!?

I understand the fear of losing to your smaller in-state teams... but it doesn't stop FSU, Auburn, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, etc from doing it.  It's good for the state, and it certainly is more interesting than Florida International.

I've got a poll on the website...  www.4029tv.com     just click on sports and cast your vote about the topic, curious to see what Hogville thinks.

THANKS.  By the way, I will run something tonight at 6:00 about it as well.  It may be taboo... but I don't mind, it's summer.  Everyone is golfing or swimming right now anyway.

Mark, what benefit would the U of A get out of playing ASU?  Yes, I'm aware of the "paychecks staying in state" argument but is it the U of A's responsibility to help fund a potential adversary?  That makes no sense whatsoever. 

If that's the only compelling argument then why doesn't ASU play Henderson State instead of Texas?  UCA instead of SMU? Arkansas Tech instead of Tennessee? Southern Arkansas instead of Southern Miss?  That way all the money can stay in the state.  ASU playing these teams makes as much sense as the Razorbacks playing the Indians (or whatever they are going to be).

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Seminole-Indian on July 04, 2007, 09:15:05 am
I’m an ASU fan and while it is an absolute fact that the majority of Razorback fans favor a game, if people charged with running the U of A do not want to play then no one should force them to.

As for me, the NIT games in men’s and women’s basketball cured me of the "how log will they run" mentality I had previously had. They could have said no and they did not and it showed neither school is afraid to play the other and that is a fact.

I challenge your premise that the majority of Razorback fans favor a game with ASU.  I know a lot of Razorback fans and not one of them favor a game with ASU.  Where are you getting your information that you can make such definitive statements?   

while it is an absolute fact that the majority of Razorback fans favor a game ...

chiefsfan

Quote from: TexasHogfan on July 03, 2007, 06:13:40 pm
Would playing ASU improve our Strength of Schedule?
Any more than playing Troy?
Why not play Henderson and Harding while we're at it?

Seriously, I don't see a point in playing ASU unless you're talking the one from Arizona!

Playing ASU serves no purpose to anyone other than ASU.

ASU and Troy will help your schedule about the same SOS wise.   compare that too North Texas, FIU or UT Chatanooga  and ASU would actually improve it, if played over any one of those schools

ASU hasnt lost to Troy FIU or UNT in 3 years
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 04, 2007, 03:55:02 pm

Been a hot topic over the years... and one I don't quite understand.  All the criticism over Arkansas's schedule this year and the cupcake opponents. Now while Troy isn't a cupcake, they are out of the Sun Belt (just like ASU) and no one in this state knows them.  why not schedule the Indians and spice up the non-conference slate!?

I understand the fear of losing to your smaller in-state teams... but it doesn't stop FSU, Auburn, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, etc from doing it.  It's good for the state, and it certainly is more interesting than Florida International.

I've got a poll on the website...  www.4029tv.com     just click on sports and cast your vote about the topic, curious to see what Hogville thinks.

THANKS.  By the way, I will run something tonight at 6:00 about it as well.  It may be taboo... but I don't mind, it's summer.  Everyone is golfing or swimming right now anyway.

Mark, what benefit would the U of A get out of playing ASU?  Yes, I'm aware of the "paychecks staying in state" argument but is it the U of A's responsibility to help fund a potential adversary?  That makes no sense whatsoever. 

If that's the only compelling argument then why doesn't ASU play Henderson State instead of Texas?  UCA instead of SMU? Arkansas Tech instead of Tennessee? Southern Arkansas instead of Southern Miss?  That way all the money can stay in the state.  ASU playing these teams makes as much sense as the Razorbacks playing the Indians (or whatever they are going to be).

Your argument is sound, but lacks logic.

ASU cannot play Henderson Harding SAU or any of those because they are D2 schools, and would not count towards bowl eligibility.   Heck this is the first year that even UCA can count as a 1AA

In football, ASU and Arkansas are the only D1 schools in the state.   comparing us to any of the others is not smart, because its not comparable.  Just look at athletic budgets and facilities
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 04, 2007, 04:18:52 pm
Quote from: Seminole-Indian on July 04, 2007, 09:15:05 am
I’m an ASU fan and while it is an absolute fact that the majority of Razorback fans favor a game, if people charged with running the U of A do not want to play then no one should force them to.

As for me, the NIT games in men’s and women’s basketball cured me of the "how log will they run" mentality I had previously had. They could have said no and they did not and it showed neither school is afraid to play the other and that is a fact.

I challenge your premise that the majority of Razorback fans favor a game with ASU.  I know a lot of Razorback fans and not one of them favor a game with ASU.  Where are you getting your information that you can make such definitive statements?  

while it is an absolute fact that the majority of Razorback fans favor a game ...

I have 2 opinions on this.  If given the choice between a Major conference school and ASU, all razorback fans would chose that major conference team.   But between FIU, UNT or ASU...I dont know, I think the majority would say ASU, because it attracts more interest

Mark Lericos

Not to be a smart alec, but how many times has this question been answered in the thread?  I outlined about 4 or 5 reasons why the Hogs SHOULD be scheduling ASU, and it's NOT to help the Indians. it's good for the state, and while someone claims that they know of no one who wants to see UA play ASU, ask yourself if you want to see UA play UT-Chattanooga.  If your answer is that ASu provided more intrigue and more excitement because it's an in-state battle... then you understand my point.

Agent S

Why is Houston still the coach? Why is Frank still the A.D.? Why is Chuck Barrett "the voice"? Why didn't Gus get to run his offense? Why wouldn't Houston hand over his sim card? Why is Houston's wife still with him? Why did Houston text Bragg minutes before capital one bowl kickoff? Why did Mitch leave? Why did Damien leave? Why didn't Ryan Mallett come to Arkansas? Why did Houston get Easter Seals person of the year? After the Hogs second game everybody will be wondering why did Arkansas lose to Alabama?

hog.goblin

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 04, 2007, 05:33:49 pm

Not to be a smart alec, but how many times has this question been answered in the thread?  I outlined about 4 or 5 reasons why the Hogs SHOULD be scheduling ASU, and it's NOT to help the Indians. it's good for the state, and while someone claims that they know of no one who wants to see UA play ASU, ask yourself if you want to see UA play UT-Chattanooga.  If your answer is that ASu provided more intrigue and more excitement because it's an in-state battle... then you understand my point.

Mark, I do understand your point...as I would enjoy the ASU game itself much more than Troy, FIU, or UT Chatt.  However, I am more interested in gaining recruiting exposure to the UT Chatt area (TN, NE Alabama, and N Georgia) than any of those actual game match-ups.

We are not competing against those schools per se, but the high school players in the area will get more exposure to Arkansas.  We don't need that exposure within the state of Arkansas.  If a local recruit goes to ASU or some other school it's not an exposure problem.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 04, 2007, 05:48:22 pm

Mark, I do understand your point...as I would enjoy the ASU game itself much more than Troy, FIU, or UT Chatt.  However, I am more interested in gaining recruiting exposure to the UT Chatt area (TN, NE Alabama, and N Georgia) than any of those actual game match-ups.

We are not competing against those schools per se, but the high school players in the area will get more exposure to Arkansas.  We don't need that exposure within the state of Arkansas.  If a local recruit goes to ASU or some other school it's not an exposure problem.

I understand where you are coming from. I don't necessarily agree that beating the Mocs 65-0 in FAYETTEVILLE, improves your standing with people in that area, or the recruits.
   In my mind, fans could use a non-conference game that provides some spark. You won't always have Texas or USC on the slate... and in a season like this one, it would be nice to have that in-state matchup to at least make it interesting and not be forced to schedule a patsy from Podunk, Anywhere. 
   I could be wrong. There's a lot of factors involved here, and some shuffling behind closed doors (or closed minds).  I speak as a spectator... if I were a Hog ticket holder, I'd be asking this question, and not sitting for a half as the Hogs plunder Fla International.

Theolesnort

Arkansas would gain nothing but it would be a jihad for Ark St, a year around endeavor to win that one game while Ark would be like aw we got to go play them again. Now who in their right minds want to put their team (ARK) in such a spot?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

booogaga

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 03, 2007, 05:32:23 pm
Shanklin, Broyles...behind closed doors they'll all tell you it's because they have nothing to gain, and everything to lose.

They like it that they feel that they're the only show in town. And since they don't play ASU or UALR, they don't ever have to let them out from under their thumb.
pegged it
GO HOGS!

jkstock04

Instead of "too much to lose" the option should said "nothing to gain" in my opinion...that would have got more votes...I would've fallen into the nothing to gain crowd.  It would be great for Arkansas St.  But nothing good for the University of Arkansas.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Arkfan

With the cupcakes we have scheduled this year there is no legitimate excuse not to play ASU.

They should play every year in War Memorial Stadium in LR.

Sellout crowds and all the money stays in state.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: chiefsfan on July 04, 2007, 04:28:45 pm

Your argument is sound, but lacks logic.

ASU cannot play Henderson Harding SAU or any of those because they are D2 schools, and would not count towards bowl eligibility.   Heck this is the first year that even UCA can count as a 1AA

In football, ASU and Arkansas are the only D1 schools in the state.   comparing us to any of the others is not smart, because its not comparable.  Just look at athletic budgets and facilities

That's the point, it would be absurd for the U of A to play ASU because the Razorbacks would get ZERO benefit from that game.  As far as ASU playing the schools I mentioned, it matters not that they are 1AA schools because ASU isn't going to a bowl game anyway, so what's the downside?

Choctaw Hog

July 05, 2007, 12:17:09 am #75 Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:20:58 am by Choctaw Hog

Not to be a smart alec, but how many times has this question been answered in the thread?  I outlined about 4 or 5 reasons why the Hogs SHOULD be scheduling ASU, and it's NOT to help the Indians. it's good for the state, and while someone claims that they know of no one who wants to see UA play ASU, ask yourself if you want to see UA play Outshouting.  If your answer is that ASu provided more intrigue and more excitement because it's an in-state battle... then you understand my point.

Well Mark, not to be a smart a$$ but all I've read from you is a bunch of opinions and none of them explain exactly how the Razorbacks benefit from such a game.  And just for the record, I don't consider playing ASU intriguing at all.  Again, my question was what benefit would the U of A get out of playing ASU?

Here are your "reasons" and my responses to each.

1. to improve the national view of Arkansas, a good start would be to improve the perception that this state is a divided mess and couldn't care less about each other. 

Improve the National view of Arkansas?  What a crock of $hit!.  Nobody except ASU fans give a rats a$$ about their football program especially from a national viewpoint.

2. Auburn may not like Troy, but they'll play them every couple years to show.

And your point is what?  Do you think Arkansas fans care who Auburn plays in non conference games?  I don't. 

3.  Alabama schools can play each other and share the wealth without jealousy and bickering.

And you know that Alabama schools want to "share the wealth" how?  Are you in tight with the powers to be in Alabama and they share with you their reasons for scheduling in-state non-conference games? Sure thing Mark.

4. It's interesting and makes the usually boring non-conference beating more intriguing for the fans.

Being an interesting and intriguing game benefits the U of A how? 

So, to summarize...

5. THE FANS BENEFIT
That's your opinion and it doesn't make it so.
6. THE SCHOOLS BENEFIT
Exactly how does the U of A Benefit? The only school that benefits is ASU.
7. THE STATE BENEFITS, EVERY.....ONE.... BENEFITS........
Again, that's your opinion and I couldn't disagree with you more.

Mark, you asked for opinions and I gave you mine regarding this issue.  However, for some reason you want to be a smart a$$ with your little comment "I can write it in Mandarin if you like".  If you want to be such a smart a$$ I'll give you that opportunity to tell me in Mandarin to my face.  Just PM me and let's set up a time.

The bottom line is that you didn't answer my question because there is no benefit for the Hogs. Period!  This is a old, tired argument that has no merit an I'm not wasting any more time discussing it.

VenturaHog

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 04, 2007, 09:36:57 am
Quote from: VenturaHog on July 04, 2007, 03:54:00 am

If you can't recruit against a Sun Belt team in your state, you don't belong in the SEC.  Sorry.   ;D

1. Notice i said YEARS down the road.
2. HDN is our head recruiter and coach for life. ANY sort of competition scares me with him at the wheel.

hair of the hog

Well well well , everyone disagrees on this I'm amazed...............lol.........Look its like this you can say it isn't but it is , If Arkansas played ASU it would be good for football and football fans in Arkansas. Arkansas wont play them because FB is the FRANK Almighty and leading his people across the Mississippi River to get sucked in by waves of what ever color. I live in Jonesboro , No I don't care about ASU or what they do , A good instate game though is always good and entertaining , I would rather see Arkansas Play ASU than Southwest eastern Mid north Louisiana State or who ever they play.

So to sum it up it would be good for entertainment , help ASU on recruiting a little and be better than the other scrub teams they play.........If you are going to play a scrub team it might as be a scrub team from Arkansas
Go sell crazy somewhere else , we are all stocked up around here

Dugann

The because they have everything to loose just stinks as a reason boils down to one word.
         "Frank"
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 05, 2007, 12:17:09 am

Not to be a smart alec, but how many times has this question been answered in the thread?  I outlined about 4 or 5 reasons why the Hogs SHOULD be scheduling ASU, and it's NOT to help the Indians. it's good for the state, and while someone claims that they know of no one who wants to see UA play ASU, ask yourself if you want to see UA play Outshouting.  If your answer is that ASu provided more intrigue and more excitement because it's an in-state battle... then you understand my point.

Well Mark, not to be a smart a$$ but all I've read from you is a bunch of opinions and none of them explain exactly how the Razorbacks benefit from such a game.  And just for the record, I don't consider playing ASU intriguing at all.  Again, my question was what benefit would the U of A get out of playing ASU?

1. to improve the national view of Arkansas, a good start would be to improve the perception that this state is a divided mess and couldn't care less about each other. 

Improve the National view of Arkansas?  What a crock of $hit!.  Nobody except ASU fans give a rats a$$ about their football program especially from a national viewpoint.

And your point is what?  Do you think Arkansas fans care who Auburn plays in non conference games?  I don't. 

3.  Alabama schools can play each other and share the wealth without jealousy and bickering.

And you know that Alabama schools want to "share the wealth" how?  Are you in tight with the powers to be in Alabama and they share with you their reasons for scheduling in-state non-conference games? Sure thing Mark.

4. It's interesting and makes the usually boring non-conference beating more intriguing for the fans.

So, to summarize...

5. THE FANS BENEFIT
6. THE SCHOOLS BENEFIT

Mark, you asked for opinions and I gave you mine regarding this issue.  However, for some reason you want to be a smart a$$ with your little comment "I can write it in Mandarin if you like".  If you want to be such a smart a$$ I'll give you that opportunity to tell me in Mandarin to my face.  Just PM me and let's set up a time.

The bottom line is that you didn't answer my question because there is no benefit for the Hogs. Period!  This is a old, tired argument that has no merit an I'm not wasting any more time discussing it.

Well, I respect the fact you don't find a game against ASU intriguing at all. My basic tenet of the argument is that it IS more intriguing than any of the other non-conference games this season. If you can honestly say playing them over an ASU benefits the Hogs and it's fan base, who pay good money to sit in the seats for 4 quarters, then we'll agree to disagree. There are no hard facts or numbers I can provide, just an opinion rooted in experience covering a lot of football over the years, and seeing the positive effect playing regional schools has on interest, excitement, and fan support.
  Just about everyone I spoke to since I brought up this topic has at least agreed that it would provide more interest than a no-name cupcake. If you don't, that's ok too... but I think you are in the minority. Just my opinion.
  As for the Mandarin comment, I added a smiley icon afterwards to show it's tongue and cheek,and just having fun over the debate. If I had a dollar for every snide comment about the local media being U-A puppets, I'd double my salary.

Mark Lericos

Hong Kong posted this on another board, and it's a great take. Hope he doesn't mind me bringing it over:

HKS:

What is it everyone is scared of?

ASU becoming the dominate program in the state?

The UofA is more able to safely play ASU now than at any time in it's history.  The growth of NWA means it doesn't matter if the NE part of the state decides to back ASU wholeheartedly.  The money and recruits will still choose UofA by a huge margin.

IMHO, this debate shows exactly the shortsightedness that keeps Arkansas mired in the bottom 3-5 in almost every category from economics to education to basically anything but chickens.  A second REAL university in the state would go a long way towards gaining a modicum of respect from the rest of the nation, and the last time I checked competition is a good thing (isn't that why we want a tougher non-conference schedule?). 

We should embrace playing ASU.  It's good for the state, the economy, and both universities in the long run.  Stop being scared.

Albert Einswine

Why is Mark Lericos, a Hogville moderator for the "Hogville.net > Razorback Discussion > Monday Morning Quarterback" forum pushing ASU's agenda?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

I would love to see Arkansas play ASU for one reason and one reason only - to shut up the Indian fans who think ASU deserves the right to play the U of A.

If I had my choice, Arkansas would play ASU in Jonesboro.  Imagine the shock for the Indian faithful when their stadium is filled to the bream with Razorback fans.  Imagine how horrible it would be for them when the Razorbacks marched in and proceeded to beat the soup out of the Indians on their own turf.  If I were coaching the Razorbacks, I would purposely try to run up the score and remind the ASU faithful just who is in charge. As a matter of fact, I would add a stipulation that if Arkansas wins, ASU agrees to NEVER schedule the Hogs again, while if ASU wins, Arkansas will agree to schedule ASU in all sports.  Put some of the pressure back on the Indians.  Make it cost them dearly to play their dream game against the Razorbacks

I say all that to say this, if ASU wants to play Arkansas, ASU needs to step up to the plate and prove they are worthy of playing the Razorbacks.  Instead of being a rent-a-win for big D-I programs, ASU needs to become a program that can go to Texas, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Tennessee and Syracuse and compete.  When they start playing those teams within 7 points, or even better, win a game or two, then they can beat their chest about playing the Razorbacks.

Become a legitimate program, and then complain about the Razorbacks dodging you.  Make it impossible for the Razorbacks to ignore you by becoming a program that none of the big schools want to schedule for non-conference games.  Until them, keep the "How Long Will the Hogs Run" thoughts out of your head.  You might find out it was a lot better when the Hogs were "running away" from you instead of over you.
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

gohawgsgo

July 05, 2007, 08:23:35 am #83 Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 08:33:19 am by gohawgsgo
Quote from: rampage72501 on July 05, 2007, 08:18:20 am
I would love to see Arkansas play ASU for one reason and one reason only - to shut up the Indian fans who think ASU deserves the right to play the U of A.

If I had my choice, Arkansas would play ASU in Jonesboro.  Imagine the shock for the Indian faithful when their stadium is filled to the bream with Razorback fans.  Imagine how horrible it would be for them when the Razorbacks marched in and proceeded to beat the soup out of the Indians on their own turf.  If I were coaching the Razorbacks, I would purposely try to run up the score and remind the ASU faithful just who is in charge. As a matter of fact, I would add a stipulation that if Arkansas wins, ASU agrees to NEVER schedule the Hogs again, while if ASU wins, Arkansas will agree to schedule ASU in all sports.  Put some of the pressure back on the Indians.  Make it cost them dearly to play their dream game against the Razorbacks

I say all that to say this, if ASU wants to play Arkansas, ASU needs to step up to the plate and prove they are worthy of playing the Razorbacks.  Instead of being a rent-a-win for big D-I programs, ASU needs to become a program that can go to Texas, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Tennessee and Syracuse and compete.  When they start playing those teams within 7 points, or even better, win a game or two, then they can beat their chest about playing the Razorbacks.

Become a legitimate program, and then complain about the Razorbacks dodging you.  Make it impossible for the Razorbacks to ignore you by becoming a program that none of the big schools want to schedule for non-conference games.  Until them, keep the "How Long Will the Hogs Run" thoughts out of your head.  You might find out it was a lot better when the Hogs were "running away" from you instead of over you.

ASU is used to getting blown out by most decent opponents.  I agree that Arkansas gains nothing from the game.  Why should they create a Wellfare Program for ASU.  Let Ole Miss and Oklahoma St. continue to throttle them and give them money.  However, I would go to the game if it happens.  I would be no more excited about it than if it was La-Monroe. 

Choctaw Hog

July 05, 2007, 08:36:34 am #84 Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 08:38:40 am by Choctaw Hog
Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 06:28:01 am
Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 05, 2007, 12:17:09 am

So, to summarize...

5. THE FANS BENEFIT
6. THE SCHOOLS BENEFIT

Well, I respect the fact you don't find a game against ASU intriguing at all. My basic tenet of the argument is that it IS more intriguing than any of the other non-conference games this season. If you can honestly say playing them over an ASU benefits the Hogs and it's fan base, who pay good money to sit in the seats for 4 quarters, then we'll agree to disagree. There are no hard facts or numbers I can provide, just an opinion rooted in experience covering a lot of football over the years, and seeing the positive effect playing regional schools has on interest, excitement, and fan support.
  Just about everyone I spoke to since I brought up this topic has at least agreed that it would provide more interest than a no-name cupcake. If you don't, that's ok too... but I think you are in the minority. Just my opinion.
  As for the Mandarin comment, I added a smiley icon afterwards to show it's tongue and cheek,and just having fun over the debate. If I had a dollar for every snide comment about the local media being U-A puppets, I'd double my salary.

Mark, did you graduate from THE University of Arkansas or from ASU?  I'm a U of A grad that is originally from Choctaw, OK.  Also, I'm sorry but what does your comment about the local media being puppets for the U of A mean and what does it have to do with this discussion?  You lost me on that one.

Moonshine Pond

Count me in the crowd that doesn't find ASU to be any more appealing than any of the other non-conference nobodies we play each year.  Arkansas would not gain anything from playing ASU.  ASU would gain exposure and prominence from playing Arkansas that they do not enjoy currently. 
The people of Arkansas, as a whole, wouldn't gain anything except an in-state match-up that would be more entertaining for some people (not me).  The issue about the money staying in state is just bogus.  Like someone mentioned earlier, what's the difference between Texas paying ASU and Arkansas paying ASU?  The only difference is Arkansas isn't paying their potential future competition for in-state recruits and fans.
I don't see a point in Arkansas giving in to play ASU annually.  I hope it doesn't change now that Broyles is on his way out.  I hope our new AD sees that there is no benefit from playing ASU EVER and continues to refuse to play them.  I would honestly much rather see Arkansas play Troy than I would see them play ASU.

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Quote from: Moonshine Pond on July 05, 2007, 09:12:22 am
Like someone mentioned earlier, what's the difference between Texas paying ASU and Arkansas paying ASU?

The difference is the dozen or so ASU fans that attend the game are spending their money in Austin, Texas rather than Fayetteville.
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

Moonshine Pond

July 05, 2007, 09:19:03 am #87 Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:22:18 am by Moonshine Pond
Quote from: rampage72501 on July 05, 2007, 09:17:19 am
Quote from: Moonshine Pond on July 05, 2007, 09:12:22 am
Like someone mentioned earlier, what's the difference between Texas paying ASU and Arkansas paying ASU?

The difference is the dozen or so ASU fans that attend the game are spending their money in Austin Texas, rather than Fayetteville.

Most are spending their money in Jonesboro (after listening to the game on the radio) instead of Little Rock on gamedays (I guarantee they don't travel over 500 fans to the road football games), so the money is still staying in the state.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 05, 2007, 08:00:08 am
Why is Mark Lericos, a Hogville moderator for the "Hogville.net > Razorback Discussion > Monday Morning Quarterback" forum pushing ASU's agenda?

It has nothing to do with ASU agenda, this discussion is in regards to Arkansas, it's scheduling, and how it plays out with fans.

Jerk Pork

I used to be against playing ASU but have changed my mind recently...I would like to play them 4 or 5 times a season...Some say it would split up the recruits in Arkansas but all I have to say to that is "Have you ever been to Jonesboro"? That is the Arkansas Starkville....So what if the Lady Razorbacks went opver there and got spanked...Nolan spotted them 22 points in the first half and they blew it big time...I say play them every other Saturday and make up for all the losses they wish the had....

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 05, 2007, 08:36:34 am

Mark, did you graduate from THE University of Arkansas or from ASU?  I'm a U of A grad that is originally from Choctaw, OK.  Also, I'm sorry but what does your comment about the local media being puppets for the U of A mean and what does it have to do with this discussion?  You lost me on that one.
[/quote]

You lost me, how does you graduating from the U of A and me not graduating from either school have any bearing on the discussion, I attend the games just like a lot of fans, and I'm making the obvious comment that with all these ridiculous opponents, why haven't the Hogs made an attempt to play a similiarly sized school within in the state?

as for the media comment, it's in response to your statement about my "smart alec" comment, when many posters on here have made similar comments about the media.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on July 05, 2007, 08:31:55 am
Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 05, 2007, 08:00:08 am

Or quoting from other boards?

HKS posts here as well, so do you.  And your comments on that board Albert are very similar to the ones you post there. Strange?    ???

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 09:29:32 am

You lost me, how does you graduating from the U of A and me not graduating from either school have any bearing on the discussion, I attend the games just like a lot of fans, and I'm making the obvious comment that with all these ridiculous opponents, why haven't the Hogs made an attempt to play a similiarly sized school within in the state?

as for the media comment, it's in response to your statement about my "smart alec" comment, when many posters on here have made similar comments about the media.

[/quote]

I asked because you sound like a typical ASU grad begging for Arkansas to play ASU.  Are you an ASU grad?  Also, why do comments from posters about the local media upset you?  Are you a local media person?  If so, what do you do?

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 05, 2007, 09:39:59 am

I asked because you sound like a typical ASU grad begging for Arkansas to play ASU.  Are you an ASU grad?  Also, why do comments from posters about the local media upset you?  Are you a local media person?  If so, what do you do?
[/quote]

I'm not begging the Hogs, nor am I supporting ASU. It's just a neutral obversation, I've heard nothing but negative comments on this board and from fans in person about this schedule. So my first question is, how can Arkansas spice it up? The easy answer is an in-state matchup.  Not EVERY year, every so often, maybe in years when you don't have a top caliber OOC scheduled. 

That's all.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 05, 2007, 09:45:54 am

I'm not begging the Hogs, nor am I supporting ASU. It's just a neutral obversation, I've heard nothing but negative comments on this board and from fans in person about this schedule. So my first question is, how can Arkansas spice it up? The easy answer is an in-state matchup.  Not EVERY year, every so often, maybe in years when you don't have a top caliber OOC scheduled. 

That's all.
[/quote]

Are you an ASU grad?  Why don't you answer?

Jerk Pork

I've got a poll on the website...  www.4029tv.com     just click on sports and cast your vote about the topic, curious to see what Hogville thinks.

Houston we have a problem...did you have the resident polster come up with the poll...i went to take the poll and there is no correct answer...
1.) No way, too much to lose
2.) Once every couple of years
3.) sure Why not...

Why not just yes or no...I really am not interested in playing them but don't see that we have too much to lose...How do yo vote NO with out agreeing with your slanted poll......The point is we have NOTHING TO GAIN...it is not the same...

kimjongsqUeAl

We should go ahead, get it over with and play AS-WHO already.  1 game every 4 years would be cool.  Just think of what all the hype and frenzy would be like between games.  Of course we should wait until Franky is gone before we discuss this further.
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Jerk Pork on July 05, 2007, 09:47:50 am

I've got a poll on the website...  www.4029tv.com     just click on sports and cast your vote about the topic, curious to see what Hogville thinks.

Houston we have a problem...did you have the resident polster come up with the poll...i went to take the poll and there is no correct answer...
1.) No way, too much to lose
2.) Once every couple of years
3.) sure Why not...

Why not just yes or no...I really am not interested in playing them but don't see that we have too much to lose...How do yo vote NO with out agreeing with your slanted poll......The point is we have NOTHING TO GAIN...it is not the same...

because some people might not want to play ASU every single year, so we needed a middle ground. If you don't... say NO. If you do but not all the time... select the middle. If you say YES...choose the last.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 05, 2007, 09:47:27 am

That's all.

Are you an ASU grad?  Why don't you answer?
[/quote]

I already did.. a few posts ago. Read more, post less.   NEUTRAL. I graduated from Troy.

Moonshine Pond

That's all.
[/quote]