Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How long before UCA is a major football program in Arkansas.

Started by lockmaster, May 09, 2007, 12:56:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

docpoco

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 09, 2007, 10:51:30 pm
Quote from: Conway4Hogs on May 09, 2007, 10:32:29 pm
UCA is going to get all the D1AA recruits they want from AR and they will get the players that would have been stars for AR Tech.  They will rarely get a recruit that has an offer from ASU or any other D1 school.  They will get guys who had "interest" from d1 schools, transfers from d1 schools and players who couldn't qualify academically for D1.  The transfers in particular will help them a lot.{/quote}

They already get recruits that have offers from ASU...UCA doesnt aspire to be the Uof A but they want to field a competitive sports program in sports other than football as well.
They will never be stronger than the Razorbacks but I would be willing to wager they pass ASU within 5 years

Pass ASU in 5 years?  Now THAT is funny.  UCA wont even be eligible for D1AA playoff berths for 3 more years, and they'll have passed a Division 1 program by then?

They could pass ASU, eventually, it is possible.  But UCA is hardly stealing recruits away from ASU at this point, they may take 1 or 2 guys away, that we MIGHT offer a scholly...  but they may be more interested in the honors program at UCA or something

UCA doesnt have the facilities to pass anyone in D1 at this time.  Their baseball field doesnt have lights

UCA stealing ASU recruits? Maybe a few, but lets be realistic.

There were more players signed by ASU in 2007 with offers from SEC schools than there were UCA players signed with offers from ASU.

Are you guys serious, that you think UCA could pass us in 5 years?

No offense, but anyone who believes that has absolutely no perception of the world of college football, thats just a fact. Nothing against the Sugar Bears, but give me a freakin break.

As an ASU fan, I know our place in the state as a distant #2. But the #3 is even farther back.

Hogtropolis™

NEVER!  The whole state of Arkansas LOVES and LIVES FOR the HOGS!

HogHeaded™

Screw louCA.

UAF.....that's funny. As if to suggest there is any other UofA.
Why sometimes Y ?

lockmaster

At least UCA doesn't have a NUTT on the coaching staff in any sport!!!

taoteching

Hawg_Heaven

It will be a long time from now, but it can happen. One thing that will be a huge help for UCA is if the UofA stops playing games in Little Rock. Alot of people will get upset in Central Arkansas and will likely start throwing money more towards UCA instead of UofA. And whoever said that LR isn't a good place to recruit, you may want to go back and look at where most of our instate recruits come from. If I am not mistaken, our whole front defensive line last year was from Little Rock last year. Plus, where is our Heisman candidate from? Hmmm. Seems some people's hatred for Little Rock runs so deep it blinds them.

okiehawg

Quote from: Kicking Wing on May 09, 2007, 09:43:54 pm
Major in D1AA?  Probably 10 years.  Major in D1?  Not likely ever.  A low D1 with more exposure than they get at D1AA and better facilities and fan interest?  Hard to say, but some day.

You can tell it's the offseason by this thread.

A few facts about this subject:

1.  UCA drew around 7500 in its first year of D1AA.  There is room for growth.  ASU draws 17K per game and for decent opponents (Memphis, OSU, Army, Tulsa) they will draw 23-30K.  So, as someone asked earlier, they aren't equal in attendance or even close at this point.

2.  A lot of people seem to forget that ASU had great success at the small college level (a national title) and the D1AA (played in the championship) before moving to D1 without much of a conference affiliation in 1992.  The thing about all that D1AA success is that the crowds were smaller for playoff games at that level than an average regular season game at the D1 level.  The facilities are light years ahead since Coach Roberts has come on board as well.

3.  UCA is going to get all the D1AA recruits they want from AR and they will get the players that would have been stars for AR Tech.  They will rarely get a recruit that has an offer from ASU or any other D1 school.  They will get guys who had "interest" from d1 schools, transfers from d1 schools and players who couldn't qualify academically for D1.  The transfers in particular will help them a lot.

4.  Little Rock is vital for recruiting students and Hardin realized that asset.  However, this isn't high school and enrollment has almost nothing to do with athletic success.  In many ways, central AR is a stronger base for the hogs than even NW AR.  If being in central AR were so beneficial, when is UALR going to become a basktball power?  The real truth is that there are lots of twons smaller than Little Rock that have great programs and lots of places much larger than LR or Fayetteville that have horrible programs. 

5.  UCA had a nice first year last year with 21 of the best seniors from their d2 team the year before.  They beat 4 D2 teams, 1 D1AA team with a 6-5 record and 3 D1AA teams with losing records.   It was a nice transition, but with no D2 teams on the schedule, going to La Tech and replacing 9 defensive starters, they are likely to take a step back this year.

I think UCA will develop into a good D1AA program and hopefully even join the Sunbelt eventually.  Either way I can't wait for ASU to start playing them.  I remember all too well the hubris that comes with success at a lower level (i.e. the "How long will the hogs run" fiasco) and I see some of that right now by the "UCA is going to be a major power in D1" crowd.  Granted, most of the people saying such are hog fans and not the hardcore UCA folks.  

I believe in order to be a D-1 football team, you have to average 10,000 fans per home game.  So they still have a little ways to go.

40YrHogFan

To be a D-1 team, you have to average 15,000 per home game. ASU has had to give away tickets to get that number in the past.

That's why we allow a LA school to play us in LR and call it a home game for them. They get to add 52,000 attendence to the total.

UCA would have a very difficult time meeting that.

cal34

We live in Conway and plan on going to some of the games this season, probably some Basketball games too.

bearcathog

I go to a couple UCA (class of '88)games every year.  Its a fun atmosphere, but it will not reach the level of UA. 

It will pass UA enrollment, eventually, it might rival ASU in athletics in my lifetime, who knows.  They have come a long way since being in the NAIA.  They also rank quite well in D-1AA attendance(9814 average), in the top 40 in their first year(were in top ten in D-II in 2005).
"Never Trust a Bunny" Wolf to Twitchy

football-writer

Quote from: HogHeaded? on May 13, 2007, 10:58:53 pm
UAF.....that's funny. As if to suggest there is any other UofA.
UAF, UALR, UAPB, UAM, UAFS, UACCB, UACCM, PCCUA...do I REALLY need to go on?  The University of Arkansas is most commonly known for being at Fayeteville, but it is just ONE part of a larger beast.
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

LXXIII

Major in D1AA?  Probably 10 years.  Major in D1?  Not likely ever.  A low D1 with more exposure than they get at D1AA and better facilities and fan interest?  Hard to say, but some day.

1.  UCA drew around 7500 in its first year of D1AA.  There is room for growth.  ASU draws 17K per game and for decent opponents (Memphis, OSU, Army, Tulsa) they will draw 23-30K.  So, as someone asked earlier, they aren't equal in attendance or even close at this point.

2.  A lot of people seem to forget that ASU had great success at the small college level (a national title) and the D1AA (played in the championship) before moving to D1 without much of a conference affiliation in 1992.  The thing about all that D1AA success is that the crowds were smaller for playoff games at that level than an average regular season game at the D1 level.  The facilities are light years ahead since Coach Roberts has come on board as well.

3.  UCA is going to get all the D1AA recruits they want from AR and they will get the players that would have been stars for AR Tech.  They will rarely get a recruit that has an offer from ASU or any other D1 school.  They will get guys who had "interest" from d1 schools, transfers from d1 schools and players who couldn't qualify academically for D1.  The transfers in particular will help them a lot.

4.  Little Rock is vital for recruiting students and Hardin realized that asset.  However, this isn't high school and enrollment has almost nothing to do with athletic success.  In many ways, central AR is a stronger base for the hogs than even NW AR.  If being in central AR were so beneficial, when is UALR going to become a basktball power?  The real truth is that there are lots of twons smaller than Little Rock that have great programs and lots of places much larger than LR or Fayetteville that have horrible programs. 

5.  UCA had a nice first year last year with 21 of the best seniors from their d2 team the year before.  They beat 4 D2 teams, 1 D1AA team with a 6-5 record and 3 D1AA teams with losing records.   It was a nice transition, but with no D2 teams on the schedule, going to La Tech and replacing 9 defensive starters, they are likely to take a step back this year.

I think UCA will develop into a good D1AA program and hopefully even join the Sunbelt eventually.  Either way I can't wait for ASU to start playing them.  I remember all too well the hubris that comes with success at a lower level (i.e. the "How long will the hogs run" fiasco) and I see some of that right now by the "UCA is going to be a major power in D1" crowd.  Granted, most of the people saying such are hog fans and not the hardcore UCA folks.   

The attendance average was more along the lines of 10,000, and UCA did beat the team that finished first in the SLC, plus their three losses where against highly ranked D1AA opponents Illinois State was 3rd, South Dakota State 8th, and UC Davis was 14th.  Your "facts", as you call them, are a little off the mark.  On the other hand I think that UCA will have some football dominance in about 10 to 15 years in D1AA; however, all the other sports are far behind the football program and the only way UCA will be able to be dominate in any aspect of D1 all the rest of the programs will have to catch up because no one in their right mind will allow a school to move up for just one sport.  My estimation is that it will be a good 50 years if it ever happens, and even then it will be a long time before they are ever dominate at that level.

dowils

Quote from: okiehawg on May 09, 2007, 01:04:40 pm
Quote from: Box Swine on May 09, 2007, 01:00:34 pm
Another 20.

I would say at least 20 before they are D 1A.  Do they currently have more people in attendance at their football games than Arkansas State? 

Avg 15,000-20,000 per game...

Mr. Hog

Quote from: razorpimp on May 09, 2007, 01:08:58 pm
Don't count out ol' Lou Harden....that guy is a shrewd businessman.......

Lou is a quality individual, but i can't see it happening for a long time if ever!  Good luck to UCA regardless.
Go Hogs Go!

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

lovethosehogs

Lanlord

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: docpoco on May 13, 2007, 10:39:44 pm
Quote from: chiefsfan on May 09, 2007, 10:51:30 pm
Quote from: Conway4Hogs on May 09, 2007, 10:32:29 pm
UCA is going to get all the D1AA recruits they want from AR and they will get the players that would have been stars for AR Tech.  They will rarely get a recruit that has an offer from ASU or any other D1 school.  They will get guys who had "interest" from d1 schools, transfers from d1 schools and players who couldn't qualify academically for D1.  The transfers in particular will help them a lot.{/quote}

They already get recruits that have offers from ASU...UCA doesnt aspire to be the Uof A but they want to field a competitive sports program in sports other than football as well.
They will never be stronger than the Razorbacks but I would be willing to wager they pass ASU within 5 years

Pass ASU in 5 years?  Now THAT is funny.  UCA wont even be eligible for D1AA playoff berths for 3 more years, and they'll have passed a Division 1 program by then?

They could pass ASU, eventually, it is possible.  But UCA is hardly stealing recruits away from ASU at this point, they may take 1 or 2 guys away, that we MIGHT offer a scholly...  but they may be more interested in the honors program at UCA or something

UCA doesnt have the facilities to pass anyone in D1 at this time.  Their baseball field doesnt have lights

UCA stealing ASU recruits? Maybe a few, but lets be realistic.

There were more players signed by ASU in 2007 with offers from SEC schools than there were UCA players signed with offers from ASU.

Are you guys serious, that you think UCA could pass us in 5 years?

No offense, but anyone who believes that has absolutely no perception of the world of college football, thats just a fact. Nothing against the Sugar Bears, but give me a freakin break.

As an ASU fan, I know our place in the state as a distant #2. But the #3 is even farther back.

Look at the ASU avg attendance figures vs UCA's. Now look at the population base of Central Arkansas.
There is great potential in UCA if thiigs fall out right. ASU has hit their peak.
If I were ASU I would be concerned.

I do like Roberts, but do you feel he will continue to coach ASU when bigger opportunities come along?

Be afraid, be very afraid................

hoghart

"It is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."
Abraham Lincoln

ad22001

GBPackerFan

Quote from: locknuts_up on May 09, 2007, 12:56:22 pm
I thought I would ask this question. I think with the location and the fast growth it won't be that long. ;D
GO BEARS
hahahahaha...man, thanks for that one.  I needed a good pick me up.

mollie

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on May 09, 2007, 11:50:50 pm

A.S.T.C. a major D-1 football program?

Never.

:razorback:

Florida State used to be an all girls school, want to compare football success with them?

hogfan064

Let's not kid ourselves guys.  UCA will never become a major program.  I'm sure many 1-AA programs think they too can become 1-A powers one day and they have far more to offer than UCA ever will.  When thinking of UCA's chances, just look at these schools with far more advantages than UCA and realize these schools are still a long ways from 1-A ball/

Montana-Huge fan support, lots of 1-AA tradition, big stadium, State's top school

Coastal Carolina-Just started football 4 years ago and has already made 1-AA playoffs.  They are averaging near 10 wins a season.  Coastal is located in Myrtle Beach, so getting recruits will never be a problem.  Growth in that area is tremendous and facilites are new and very nice

Georgia Southern-Tons of tradition, big fanbase, big 1-AA stadium.  Plays in probably the best 1-AA conference. The same can be said for Furman and App State as well.

Deleware-State's top school, good football tradition

Youngstown State-Tons of tradition, great recruiting area

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 15, 2007, 11:29:03 am
Let's not kid ourselves guys.  UCA will never become a major program.  I'm sure many 1-AA programs think they too can become 1-A powers one day and they have far more to offer than UCA ever will.  When thinking of UCA's chances, just look at these schools with far more advantages than UCA and realize these schools are still a long ways from 1-A ball/

Montana-Huge fan support, lots of 1-AA tradition, big stadium, State's top school

Coastal Carolina-Just started football 4 years ago and has already made 1-AA playoffs.  They are averaging near 10 wins a season.  Coastal is located in Myrtle Beach, so getting recruits will never be a problem.  Growth in that area is tremendous and facilites are new and very nice

Georgia Southern-Tons of tradition, big fanbase, big 1-AA stadium.  Plays in probably the best 1-AA conference. The same can be said for Furman and App State as well.

I think what we are comparing here is a potential for a really good D-1AA vs a very bad D1 school.
I just don't see ASU going anywhere that UCA can't catch, no matter what classification.

What gives ASU the big advantage? They are struggling to keep their status. I think they average around 15k per game if they are lucky. UCA is nipping at their heels at 10K per game and growing.

bearcathog

KATV is also giving UCA a big boost with the UCA Bear report/Clint Conque show.

"Never Trust a Bunny" Wolf to Twitchy

kimjongsqUeAl

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

lateshow

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on May 15, 2007, 11:43:03 am

I think what we are comparing here is a potential for a really good D-1AA vs a very bad D1 school.
I just don't see ASU going anywhere that UCA can't catch, no matter what classification.

What gives ASU the big advantage? They are struggling to keep their status. I think they average around 15k per game if they are lucky. UCA is nipping at their heels at 10K per game and growing.

You are so full of sh#t its unbelievable. ASU in no way is in danger of losing our status. We have averaged around 20k the last couple of years.

UCA did not average 10k, their stadium holds that many and you are telling me they sold out every single home game? Jackass, maybe 7500. So they averaged 1/3 of ASU in a population area more than 5 times of Jonesboro!

ASU is only going upward, live with it.

Porkem

"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

DOCHog21

Quote from: lateshow on July 13, 2007, 12:25:17 pm

You are so full of sh#t its unbelievable. ASU in no way is in danger of losing our status. We have averaged around 20k the last couple of years.

UCA did not average 10k, their stadium holds that many and you are telling me they sold out every single home game? Jackass, maybe 7500. So they averaged 1/3 of ASU in a population area more than 5 times of Jonesboro!

Gotta love the token ASU fan!It is also pretty easy to go upward when your at the bottom. My brother went to ASU and I went to U of A (not UAF, when you say U of A people know what your talking about) and regretted not going to U of A. Granted Jonesboro is a nice little town, but there is no way they will ever be dominent in anything important. UCA wont be able to catch ASU and will always be light years away from the U of A in anything athletic.

ALSO, HOW CAN YOU HAVE A COLLEGE IN A DRY TOWN?

Jerk Pork

I thought I would ask this question. I think with the location and the fast growth it won't be that long. ;D
GO BEARS
They have a better chance than ASU...but it could be a while..

lateshow

Quote from: Jerk Pork on July 13, 2007, 12:47:04 pm
GO BEARS
They have a better chance than ASU...but it could be a while..

You're a freakin moron too.

lateshow

Quote from: DOCHog21 on July 13, 2007, 12:46:37 pm

Gotta love the token ASU fan!It is also pretty easy to go upward when your at the bottom. My brother went to ASU and I went to U of A (not UAF, when you say U of A people know what your talking about) and regretted not going to U of A. Granted Jonesboro is a nice little town, but there is no way they will ever be dominent in anything important. UCA wont be able to catch ASU and will always be light years away from the U of A in anything athletic.

First of all, I'm a fan of both and i don't refer to UofA as UAF. I think that is moronic and immature. Second, I never said ASU was ever going to catch UA. That'll never happen, UA will always own the state of Arkansas. But, all of these people that think UCA is nipping at ASU are ignorant and are just looking for a reason to bash ASU.

DickSonstreetDFW

How long before Sam Houston State, UT Arlington, or NW Louisiana become major powers in their states?

I'd say if UCA reaches UABirmingham status anytime during the next 25 years, it will be an accomplishment.

charleyhog

Quote from: DOCHog21 on July 13, 2007, 12:46:37 pm

I don't know, but they are the second largest college in Arkansas.

I beleive over 12,000, UofA, what around 19,000? UCA must be doing something right

Only time will tell, UofA has nothing to be afraid of in athletics or fan support, ASU on the other hand.............???

As you can tell by the feed back from Indian "or whatver they now are" fans they've been in the UofA's shadow for so long they have an inferiorty complex

Good luck BEARS, and whoever that other team is, but as always

GO HOGS :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

HoopHog

Quote from: BubbaHawg on May 09, 2007, 12:57:32 pm
never

I'm sure you would have said the same thing about Boise State a few years back there BUBBA!  Your opinion is so validly researched...BRAVO!!!  Hey, aren't you late for an afternoon dip?

Anyway, for those who ask this question and realize that there can be a serious anser to the question...here is a noteable comparrison.  This was a piece I did for our sister site - http://www.purplebears.net/  :

No one can deny that Boise State's presence in this year's BCS made a lot of people scratch their heads and wonder...'what if?'  So many larger programs (including the University of Oklahoma) had to step aside to see Boise State claim the Fiesta Bowl Championship and finish it's Cinderella season ranked #5 in the nation. 

Yes Virginia, small programs can grow up and play with the big boys.  Not only has Boise State made this resoundingly clear, but so did several other smaller schools who filled the ranks of bowl teams in 2006 and 2007.  Mind you, not all of these schools are necessarily "small."  But, the word helps convey the David status of many of these 'not-yet-established' programs to that of the big, big boys like Michigan, Oklahoma, Penn State, Alabama, USC or even the big boys North Carolina, Northwestern, Oklahoma State or say...Arizona.

When a fan stops and takes a closer, there are many comparisons that can be drawn between Boise State University and the University of Central Arkansas.  For one, Boise State has an overall student body of 18,600 students.  It was not until 1974 when Boise State was recognized as a university.  Ironically, I think this same status came to UCA (from SCA) in 1975-1976.

The Broncos were competing in the junior college ranks as recently as 1967.  In 1968 they made the jump to Division II and competed on this level until 1995.  In 1996 Boise State joined the Big West Conference, which marked their transition into the top division of college football...where they transitioned to the WAC in 2001.  So, the Boise State Broncos are not veterans of division I athletics by any sense of the definition.  But...nothing blinded their vision of moving forward.

Can UCA take the same path as Boise State?  WHY NOT??? 

If UCA continues to work at building fan support and growing the ranks of active boosters...the sky is really the limit.  Other 'up and comers' are showing that this can be done.  With the Central Arkansas area so ripe for the pickens, UCA can see it's athletic programs mirror the phenomenal growth of the school itself.  Upward and onward, UCA!

http://news.boisestate.edu/facts/facts&figures.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_State_Broncos_football

Just something for Bear fans to ponder.

GO BEARS!!!

bacchusrider

"If UCA continues to work at building fan support and growing the ranks of active boosters...the sky is really the limit."

The Key words in the sentance are IF and SUPPORT.  Depending on just when the U of A pulls the remaining 2 games out of Little Rock and just how many ppl get Pi$$ed of at the program heads IE Frank and Dale, will have as big an impact to UCA as winning will.

Combine those issues with a growing student body and a fan base with the potential for big boosters and backers, anything is possible.

The drawbacks are certainly there also, the game day atmosphere is non existant. The small stadium will have to be addressed also, as well as recruiting to this area.

The Skies the limit and if all the key plays fall into place UCA could become a serious threat to A State, but they will never compeate with the likes of the Hogs. IMHO
go Hogs go

BartIV

HoopHog

Quote from: bacchusrider on July 13, 2007, 03:02:05 pm
"If UCA continues to work at building fan support and growing the ranks of active boosters...the sky is really the limit."

The Key words in the sentance are IF and SUPPORT.  Depending on just when the U of A pulls the remaining 2 games out of Little Rock and just how many ppl get Pi$$ed of at the program heads IE Frank and Dale, will have as big an impact to UCA as winning will.

Combine those issues with a growing student body and a fan base with the potential for big boosters and backers, anything is possible.

The drawbacks are certainly there also, the game day atmosphere is non existant. The small stadium will have to be addressed also, as well as recruiting to this area.

The Skies the limit and if all the key plays fall into place UCA could become a serious threat to A State, but they will never compeate with the likes of the Hogs. IMHO

You make good pints.  One quesiton...did you attend a UCA game last year?  I suspect you didn't...cause the game day atmosphere was more than existant...it was electric.  I'll tell you this, the type of atmosphere that was on campus last year is something ASU has never had -- for any Indians game I ever attended.

lateshow

Quote from: HoopHog on July 13, 2007, 03:08:47 pm

You make good pints.  One quesiton...did you attend a UCA game last year?  I suspect you didn't...cause the game day atmosphere was more than existant...it was electric.  I'll tell you this, the type of atmosphere that was on campus last year is something ASU has never had -- for any Indians game I ever attended.

When was the last time you went to an ASU game? Game day festivities are awesome at A-State. Not like UA or SEC caliber, but as good as any mid-major program. Trust me, the program has made huge strides since Coach Roberts has taken over. I'll bet it beats the hell out of UCA and there 7,000 fans, if they even really had that many.

HoopHog

Quote from: lateshow on July 13, 2007, 03:13:28 pm

When was the last time you went to an ASU game? Game day festivities are awesome at A-State. Not like UA or SEC caliber, but as good as any mid-major program. Trust me, the program has made huge strides since Coach Roberts has taken over. I'll bet it beats the hell out of UCA and there 7,000 fans, if they even really had that many.

It has been about 4-5 years for me.  I'll get up there and check it out.

Several on this board can tell you how the tailgating at a couple of the UCA games last season was -- although not on the magnitude of crowds at Hog games...was on the same magnitude of energy and excitment.

Kicking Wing

I attended games at both and while I was surprised at the atmosphere at the UCA game, it isn't close to ASU, especially in the area of tailgating.  The amenities aren't close either.

UCA has a nice fan base for their division, but 7000 a game leaves a lot of room to grow. 

People throw up enrollment becaue UCA has 1000 more students, but enrollment has almost nothing to do with athletic success, especially in a state like AR where we spend virtually nothing to support our athletic progams from the state and we hamstring them with rules stricter than our competitors out of state financially.

I enjoyed the game at UCA and was impressed, but anyone claiming that there gameday or faciltities are on par or even close to ASU simply hasn't been to an ASU game in a LONG time.

bacchusrider

I didnt attend any pre game parties, I am old and a native Conway resident.  I show up about 10 mins before kick off because it is just easier than sitting out there all day.  For the hog games it is a different story for me.

SO are you saying that at UCA there is drinking and jovialness??? I mean DRINKING?
go Hogs go

cosmodrum

Quote from: bacchusrider on July 13, 2007, 03:46:01 pm
I didnt attend any pre game parties, I am old and a native Conway resident.  I show up about 10 mins before kick off because it is just easier than sitting out there all day.  For the hog games it is a different story for me.

SO are you saying that at UCA there is drinking and jovialness??? I mean DRINKING?

Yes, they changed the rules. They block off Bruce Street. As long as it's in a cup, you're good to go. I went to Homecoming last year and had a blast.
Go away, batin'

bacchusrider

well I may have to venture out there then before the game with a tall cup!

Anything to the Rumor of a stadium expansion?  I had heard something about maybe maiking it a horseshoe by enclosing the one end zone.

Also for all the naysayers, Channel 7 had a picture of the new scoreboard and jumbotron and it is said to the largest in the division.
go Hogs go

cosmodrum

Quote from: bacchusrider on July 13, 2007, 03:51:03 pm
well I may have to venture out there then before the game with a tall cup!

Anything to the Rumor of a stadium expansion?  I had heard something about maybe maiking it a horseshoe by enclosing the one end zone.

Also for all the naysayers, Channel 7 had a picture of the new scoreboard and jumbotron and it is said to the largest in the division.

Yeah, I saw that on FOX last night. It looks great!

And I don't know about the stadium expansion, although I've heard since the remodeled in 98 (I think) that the plan was to wrap the stadium around. I hope so, I think the brick is pretty.

Definitely check out some games this season, I know I am. PM me before whatever game you go to, and we could have a barley pop or two!
Go away, batin'

NWAFellows

It's funny how worked up ASU fans get whenever someone starts to compare UCA to them.

Mark my words, UCA will overtake ASU in just a few years or less, if they already haven't, but UCA will never overtake the UofA simply because how hog-wild this state is.

Not to turn this into a UCA vs. ASU thread, but UCA has some distinct recent advantages over ASU. The growth of the region and the enrollment explosions only help UCA and directly hurt ASU - D1 vs. D1AA classifications don't matter in this region. Given the recent growth figures of the central Arkansas region (Maumelle 42%, Bryant 32%, Conway 26%, Benton 18%) compared to Jonesboro (8%), it only stands to reason that UCA's enrollment and campus stands to keep growing.

I've been to UofA games, UCA and ASU games all within the previous two years. UCA trumps over ASU by leaps and bounds simply because of the growth, progress and 'newness' of what's happening down there in Conway. I'm not a Bear fan, but if you haven't been to a UCA game in the past two years and you live in central Arkansas, you really owe yourself to go. It's getting to be a prime-time atmosphere there.

The students, city and area are extremely excited with all the recent changes, both athletically and academically, and that keeps enthusiasm and student support at all time highs on campus and in the area, which includes Little Rock. Directly compared to ASU, which has been fighting stagnant growth (with the exception of this past year), both enrollment- and area-wise, and it's no wonder the true-and-loyal Indian fans will be on board, but they're having a hard time grabbing and maintaining a new fan base.

If Lu can keep up UCA's growth, they will move leaps and bounds ahead of ASU. In fact, many already consider UCA to be ahead of ASU academically.

But overtake the hogs? Forget it. It would take A) Arkansas losing to the likes of Troy multiple years in a row and B) UCA being ranked #1 in D1AA multiple years in a row with upsets over D1 ranked rent-a-wins - neither of which are likely to happen any time soon.

Even then, I doubt it. There are just too many life-long hog fans in this state. Arkansas does indeed bleed Razorback red.

jabber

Quote from: NWAFellows on July 13, 2007, 04:44:19 pm
It's funny how worked up ASU fans get whenever someone starts to compare UCA to them.

Mark my words, UCA will overtake ASU in just a few years or less, if they already haven't, but UCA will never overtake the UofA simply because how hog-wild this state is.

Not to turn this into a UCA vs. ASU thread, but UCA has some distinct recent advantages over ASU. The growth of the region and the enrollment explosions only help UCA and directly hurt ASU - D1 vs. D1AA classifications don't matter in this region. Given the recent growth figures of the central Arkansas region (Maumelle 42%, Bryant 32%, Conway 26%, Benton 18%) compared to Jonesboro (8%), it only stands to reason that UCA's enrollment and campus stands to keep growing.

I've been to UofA games, UCA and ASU games all within the previous two years. UCA trumps over ASU by leaps and bounds simply because of the growth, progress and 'newness' of what's happening down there in Conway. I'm not a Bear fan, but if you haven't been to a UCA game in the past two years and you live in central Arkansas, you really owe yourself to go. It's getting to be a prime-time atmosphere there.

The students, city and area are extremely excited with all the recent changes, both athletically and academically, and that keeps enthusiasm and student support at all time highs on campus and in the area, which includes Little Rock. Directly compared to ASU, which has been fighting stagnant growth (with the exception of this past year), both enrollment- and area-wise, and it's no wonder the true-and-loyal Indian fans will be on board, but they're having a hard time grabbing and maintaining a new fan base.

If Lu can keep up UCA's growth, they will move leaps and bounds ahead of ASU. In fact, many already consider UCA to be ahead of ASU academically.

But overtake the hogs? Forget it. It would take A) Arkansas losing to the likes of Troy multiple years in a row and B) UCA being ranked #1 in D1AA multiple years in a row with upsets over D1 ranked rent-a-wins - neither of which are likely to happen any time soon.

Even then, I doubt it. There are just too many life-long hog fans in this state. Arkansas does indeed bleed Razorback red.

I completely agree with this post .... UCA is a class act and will continue to improve and is evolving into a well respected program regionally and hopefully nationally someday, but hogs will always be top priority to most fans in the state of Arkansas.

Gaskinswitch

Kickingleg, if asu drew 17k for its November games the past few years, I 'll kiss your..........wing.  You could have shot off 10 UZIS in your stadium for ASU's late season games and nobody would have had a scratch from the crossfire.  

ExArky

UCA will not be a major football program in our lifetimes. It'll be 10 years or more before it makes Div. I-A and then will be bottom of the barrel. ASU will not be a major football program, either. The ex-Indians might pull out a decent 8-4 or 9-3 bowl season some year, but probably not long-term I-A success. I'm an ASU grad saying this. East Arkansas demographics are not favorable: Jonesboro/Paragould grows steadily, but most of the rest of east Arkansas is either stagnant or declining outside of Memphis' suburbs like Marion, and it's in the middle of SEC country geographically with lot of Hog fans and Rebels and Vols not far away.

It's easier for I-AA/low-rung I-A/mid-major schools to make a run at the big boys in basketball: See Gonzaga, George Mason, Kent State under Stan Heath, Larry Bird-era Indiana State in 1979, mid-1980s UALR when it beat Notre Dame, etc. If UCA could get another Scottie Pippen, a point guard like Derek Fisher was coming out of LR Parkview (the lowest D-I recruit among the starters on his high school team at the time), a strong post player, two role players, two decent subs and a special up-and-comer coach, it could make a run in the NCAA tournament some time. String a few seasons like that together, and you can get something rolling like Gonzaga. It can happen, but it's not likely.