Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA on the rise....

Started by jschulte, January 27, 2007, 11:58:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefsfan

Quote from: sage_dragoon on January 29, 2007, 12:01:24 pm
Anyone else remeber ASU bailing on playing UCA after they almost got beat by them when UCA was DII? UCA is in the perfect spot to be a major college. Only school who has a better location would be UALR when you think about being centrally located.

I dont remember ASU bailing on that series,  But im not for certain, the last ASU played UCA was 1999, and we joined the Sun Belt in 2001.  When that happened, we couldnt play any D2 schools, because it wouldnt count towards bowl eligibility.

2007 will be the first year UCA can play any D1 school in football, and they are playing Louisianna Tech
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ICEman

CUNY (City University of New York) has in the neighborhood of 400,000 + students.  I haven't much about their athletic programs.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Uncle Tusk

Quote from: donewithdale on January 29, 2007, 10:29:29 am
Quote from: sage_dragoon on January 29, 2007, 10:25:17 am
Quote from: donewithdale on January 29, 2007, 10:18:19 am
Quote from: batesvegashog on January 29, 2007, 10:05:03 am
Let's get one thing straight here.  I work in higher ed. administration at a school that actually has academic standards.  That aside, I have a degree from the U of A and over the years I have worked closely with UCA.  There is NO comparison folks, UCA is a MUCH better school academically than the U of A.  And as hard as it is for me to say that, it's true.  Neither could touch that of a Hendrix or Lyon College but then I digress.  I love the UofA but right now Lou Hardin has things going on and up, at what is now the best public university in the state

I bet it is the best teachers' college in the state.  Since educ majors at the UA are hotties looking for their Mrs degree or band dorks, I bet UCA does put out better teachers. 

Don't post if you dont want to be part of the discussion. Yeah, UCA used to be Arkansas Teachers College or whatever. Big deal. Fact is that they are 5-10 years from being, IMO, the major college in the state. I'll always love my hogs but it's fun to see my alma matter grow up right in front of me.

How are Lu's engineering and architecture schools coming along?

Uncle Tusk

Let's get one thing straight here.  I work in higher ed. administration at a school that actually has academic standards.  That aside, I have a degree from the U of A and over the years I have worked closely with UCA.  There is NO comparison folks, UCA is a MUCH better school academically than the U of A.  And as hard as it is for me to say that, it's true.  Neither could touch that of a Hendrix or Lyon College but then I digress.  I love the UofA but right now Lou Hardin has things going on and up, at what is now the best public university in the state

I bet it is the best teachers' college in the state.  Since educ majors at the UA are hotties looking for their Mrs degree or band dorks, I bet UCA does put out better teachers. 

Don't post if you dont want to be part of the discussion. Yeah, UCA used to be Arkansas Teachers College or whatever. Big deal. Fact is that they are 5-10 years from being, IMO, the major college in the state. I'll always love my hogs but it's fun to see my alma matter grow up right in front of me.

FYI donewithdale.....

Some of us "teachers college" graduates are supporters of the Hogs as well.  Of course, since we're not as educated as you are, we probably can't contribute the "big" money like you!!!!!!!

cosmodrum

Quote from: arkhog9 on January 28, 2007, 09:06:42 pm
Classes are far tougher by all accounts at Arkansas than UCA.  Not to say UCA isn't a good school and the second best university in the state, but they're still a distant second.

And UCA is not gonna catch up to Arkansas any time soon.  UCA built plenty of resident halls the last few years, but not enough other buildings to have destinations for those numerous students.

Arkansas is building and renovating many buildings including a few residence halls.  Arkansas keeps having university record setting freshmen classes, but UCA will probably hit a stall for a couple years.

By ALL accounts? Here's a quick account. I have a BA in History from UCA, and did a year of graduate studies at Arkansas. I took the "hardest history professor in Old Main," in a 4000/5000 level class. I aced it, and without any more effort put forth than at UCA. In fact, some classes I tried harder at UCA and received lower marks. Maybe I was dumber then, who knows.
Go away, batin'

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 29, 2007, 01:54:04 pm
Quote from: arkhog9 on January 28, 2007, 09:06:42 pm
Classes are far tougher by all accounts at Arkansas than UCA.  Not to say UCA isn't a good school and the second best university in the state, but they're still a distant second.

And UCA is not gonna catch up to Arkansas any time soon.  UCA built plenty of resident halls the last few years, but not enough other buildings to have destinations for those numerous students.

Arkansas is building and renovating many buildings including a few residence halls.  Arkansas keeps having university record setting freshmen classes, but UCA will probably hit a stall for a couple years.

By ALL accounts? Here's a quick account. I have a BA in History from UCA, and did a year of graduate studies at Arkansas. I took the "hardest history professor in Old Main," in a 4000/5000 level class. I aced it, and without any more effort put forth than at UCA. In fact, some classes I tried harder at UCA and received lower marks. Maybe I was dumber then, who knows.
The classes at Fayetteville were incredibly hard.
I mainly had GAs for instructors and most of those couldn't speak English. It's tough to learn when you can't understand your teacher.

jschulte

That is most def a down side to U of A - tons of grad teachers.  I assure you, some of the classes if not tough, are very time consuming.  I am taking a 4000 level Psych class (my major), Psychology of Learning... and it takes up quite abit of time reading through this book (quizes before we actually discuss it... and the book, which isn't even a text book of sorts, was 100 bucks, goodness!). 

I have plenty of friends at UCA, vast majority in the honors program and it is probably better.  It is alot more interactive (which can be both good and bad).  I personally don't like it, because it is extremely left/liberal.  Many of my christian friends are pressured to write essays on the basis that their beliefs aren't true, etc etc.  I know that is done in alot of philosophy classes and so forth, but this is mandatory to stay in the honors program.  They are also alot more closer, and the honors at U of A are more mixed in with the rest of the crowd. 

Another thing to take note --  girls at U of A > girls at UCA                This must be taken into account.  Not to say there aren't any attractive females at UCA, but the percentile is at large at UA.   :D

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: jschulte on January 27, 2007, 11:58:45 pm
I am sorry, I know there are talks of UCA getting close to being the size of U of A eventually.  Truth is, I just have a huge bias against rooting for a purple bear.  I don't see much pride behind that, but part of it could because I go to U of A.
Apologize to Douglas for that bear comment.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

MCheisman

Quote from: jschulte on January 28, 2007, 09:41:22 pm
Another thing, Central Arkansas hasn't had anywhere near the growth that NWA is experiencing (sixth in the nation).  WNBA coming soon... I only hope for some men sports (perhaps NBA, or MLB... NFL is way too far a long shot).
Wow, you guys must be getting some incredible smoke up there in NWA.You will be lucky to get a NBADL team like LR and if thats a success than you will get a NBA team if the growth continues but thats years away. Conway is the 2nd fastest growing city in the state and UCA is growing fast. It will never be to the level of the Hogs but it will be competitive in the near future if not already.

razorsharphawg

Quote from: Hogtropolis on January 28, 2007, 09:30:34 pm
Quote from: wkb on January 28, 2007, 09:27:53 pm
It is hard for me to believe UCA will every be better than the University of Arkansas.  First, we are the Razorbacks.  Next, we are the Razorbacks. Last, they are the sugar bears.
I'll have to agree.  I'm sorry if I offend any UCA alumni, but Arkansas HAS BEEN "THE" team in Arkansas, IS "THE" team in Arkansas, and always WILL BE "THE" team in Arkansas.

Yep, guess that's why they won't ever play the lowly ASU Indians.  At least that's what Frank thinks...or is he afraid they might get beat?  What would that do to the fanbase?

razorbackdan

Quote from: jschulte on January 29, 2007, 03:31:51 pm
That is most def a down side to U of A - tons of grad teachers.  I assure you, some of the classes if not tough, are very time consuming.  I am taking a 4000 level Psych class (my major), Psychology of Learning... and it takes up quite abit of time reading through this book (quizes before we actually discuss it... and the book, which isn't even a text book of sorts, was 100 bucks, goodness!). 

I have plenty of friends at UCA, vast majority in the honors program and it is probably better.  It is alot more interactive (which can be both good and bad).  I personally don't like it, because it is extremely left/liberal.  Many of my christian friends are pressured to write essays on the basis that their beliefs aren't true, etc etc.  I know that is done in alot of philosophy classes and so forth, but this is mandatory to stay in the honors program.  They are also alot more closer, and the honors at U of A are more mixed in with the rest of the crowd. 

Another thing to take note --  girls at U of A > girls at UCA                This must be taken into account.  Not to say there aren't any attractive females at UCA, but the percentile is at large at UA.   :D

I've attended school at both UCA (1 year) and UA (3 years) and the girls are primo at both places. Difference is, the hottie in Conway is driving an Accord while the hottie in Fayetteville is driving a BMW.
UCA is a good place to go if you are a momma's baby and need to go home every other weekend or more. Partying at UCA isn't even close to as wild as in Fayetteville. Hell, Hendrix Warehouse parties were always much more fun than UCA's Greenhouse parties.  Dickson St. itself should end the discussion.

oldbear

I graduated from UCA in 1988 and attended football games for four years (actually wore the uniform all four years).  I think you are right that Mr. Hardin is not truly trying to compete with UA in what he is doing, but is building his own niche in Central Arkansas in both academics and athletics.  Last time I heard, the school was growing at a phenomenal rate.  When I left it was just over 6000, and now has, I think, reached 12000.  It is not and probably will never be the UA, and that is okay.  But for you to say that there was nothing to do had more to do with you not being involved.  I promise even during the days when the campus got deserted, we found plenty to do.  It was a great experience, both academically and athletically.  I know I was not talented enough to play division I ball, but won 42 games in four years and have two national championship rings.  I now have  a terminal degree from Memphis State and was more than prepared for grad school.

Arkansas Student

UCA and UA don't want to compete directly, or be the same school. Auburn doesn't want to be Alabama. GA Tech doesn't want to be UGA. Cal doesn't want to be USC. Vanderbilt doesn't want to be Tennessee. This is a relationship that we in Arkansas, having gone nearly our entire existence without 2 relatively well-know universities, are going to have to accept. They compete in different confrences, so athletics really isn't part of the discussion. They are not the same size, they don't cost the same, they don't offer the same emphasis on certain majors (business vs. education, etc). People are creating competitions that don't exist for the sheer sake of arguement.

UA will always be the graduate/research institution, I think. They have the $$$ and a sizeable lead in that category.

UCA is making strides to be a high quality, competitive undergraduate institution. Considering only about 4% of Arkansas' population has a post-graduate degree, I'd say that UCA is playing in the right market.

The girls are equally hot. UA simply has more girls, thus more hottness.

The campuses are unique in their own way. IMO, take away Old Main and the rest of the UA is kind of boring. UCA doesn't have that singular building that embodies the school, so it's hard to compare. Both places have their attractive and disgusting buildings.

Just because NWA is growing doesn't discount UCA as a school. NWA as a region still has a way to go to just catch up with Little Rock (read: two counties vs. one city, a ridiculous comparison).

UA is looking to the Southeastern schools as competitiors.  UCA is looking to the southwest, as well as the smaller in-state schools.

The UCA population may catch up to Arkansas, if the UA doesn't start having the larger entering classes. UCA's entering freshman class has been larger than the UA's for 2 years now. The new dorms @ the UA should help. But remember that the UA & UCA are getting the same cut of that bond money -- a smaller school can do more with less.

The schools serve different purposes. They have different boards of discussion. There's no need to compare them, really. What does it prove?

And, for what it's worth, there are plenty of people who think a red pig & a purple bear are equally ridiculous mascots  ;)  Not me, though.

'05 UCA BSPA
'08 UA   MPA
"Go-Hogs-Go-Hogs-Halt-Kick-Swtich-WHOOP-Boom!" no longer truly exists.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: hogdave on January 29, 2007, 09:07:52 am
Something that nobody had mentioned here, UCA and the U of A are mutually exclusive.  UCA does not pretend to try and compete with the U of A.  What has happened is that UCA is stealing students in the Central Arkansas area from ASU.  ASU is the school that needs to be worried both athletically and academically.

One other thing, I graduated from UCA in '98 and have people I work with that graduated from the UofA.  Besides master degree levels the education is pretty equal.  Also UCA does not use many graduate assistants to teach classes, all are taught by professors.
They're not stealing students from ASU.  ASU saw a near record freshman class this year and doesn't draw just a ton from central AR except for people interest in communications.  I would worry most if I were UALR, UAPB, Henderson and only slightly UA (which did have poor numbers this year and has pushed legislatively to limit advertising by UCA.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 29, 2007, 01:33:53 pm
Anyone else remeber ASU bailing on playing UCA after they almost got beat by them when UCA was DII? UCA is in the perfect spot to be a major college. Only school who has a better location would be UALR when you think about being centrally located.
You are correct.  The only "bailing" was the team that left us with open spots which we filled with UCA.  After that, the rules changed and ASU joined a conference and playing D2 schools was no longer an option.  ASU has already talked to UCA about playing in football and they are playing in other sports.

If you want to talk about "bailing" ask Frank Broyles why he won't schedule Memphis anymore.

I dont remember ASU bailing on that series,  But im not for certain, the last ASU played UCA was 1999, and we joined the Sun Belt in 2001.  When that happened, we couldnt play any D2 schools, because it wouldnt count towards bowl eligibility.

2007 will be the first year UCA can play any D1 school in football, and they are playing Louisianna Tech

hogfan30

UCA was on the rise....until tomorrow night, when they play the dreaded Eagles from University of the Ozarks!!!  :P

HogDart

I attended UCA for four and a half years. I absolutely loved every second of it! I live in Fayetteville now, and I really enjoy the collegiate atmosphere of the U of A. Growing up I always wanted to attend the U of A, but when it came down to money UCA was free and the U of A definitely wasn't. As far as sports, I never got involved in UCA athletics, frankly I could've cared less. I spent my time sweltering in a band uniform wondering if the Hogs were beating Bama, Tennessee, Ole Miss..etc.
     I was in the band at UCA (hated the band, but full tuition scholarships are hard to pass up) and missed a lot of good Hog football because of it. I spent my time sweltering in a band uniform wondering if the Hogs were beating Bama, Tennessee, Ole Miss..etc.
The greek system at UCA isn't anything near what the U of A has to offer, but we had a blast nonetheless. For the old UCA grads on here, they are now allowing tailgating with kegs! That may have changed my entire college experience, if that was done while I was a student.
     As far as academics some departments at UCA are very strong. I got my BS in General Science, and although I basically scrapped my degree to go into business, many of my fellow science nerds are now enjoying UAMS pursuing either medical or pharmacy degrees. Talking with students who attended both schools, I always got the vibe that UCA had a stronger natural science program than the U of A. Personally I never attended the U of A so I have no frame of reference.
     Looking back I wouldn't change my decision for the world. I had some of the best times, and met some of the best people in Arkansas while at UCA. UCA has a lot to offer, and i've enjoyed watching it grow from 8,500 students when I was a freshman in Fall '99 to 12,000+ today. It is becoming a popular destination and I have no doubts it will continue to grow each and every year.

jtgreer

I am in the business school and honors college at the UofA.  I don't know much about the other departments at the UofA(ie: eng./arch./etc) but what I do know is that the honors classes at the Walton College of Business are very very challenging.  I also know that the business school has moved in to the top 25 in the country and keeps moving up each year.  One benifit of a BA from fayetteville is the fact that each year it keeps looking better and better.  I had the oppurtunity to attend UCA as well and realized that UofA was the best fit for me based on the fact that our Honors college (atleast in the business school) is by far the best in the state.  It is the only school in-state I would ever attend.  The reason the UofA business honors college is the best is probably because of the 300 million dollar donation by the walton family.  I have a theory as to the reason why UofA classes may seem less challenging or students from UCA recieve higher scores in them... maybe it is because we have superior professors at the UofA.  One of the reasons I have done well at the UofA is b/c the professors I have had were very helpful when students have questions and are always available to speak to them.  The few classes I have had where the professors were hard to reach and/or did not answer questions in class or seemingly did not have a full understanding of the subject, I did find more challenging.  I have noticed many people have posted on this board that UCA offers more full-rides or that they qualified for a full-scholarship at UCA.  The reason for that is because far more students at the UofA have much much higher gpa's and ACT scores coming in to their freshman year of college.  Academically, they hold the bar higher, atleast when it comes to scholarships.  Also, most of my high school went to UCA and anytime they want to have fun they come up to fayetteville for the weekend.  Most of them want to go to the UofA... but that is just the 60 or so that I know. 

wkb

I think the better academic school has everything to do with which college within the school.  I'm at the U of A and have never had a grad student teach any of my classes.  I would say that the UCA never appealed to me when choosing colleges even though I could have had a scholarship at UCA.  Ill take my debt just to attend the University of Arkansas any day.

cosmodrum

Another thing to take note --  girls at U of A > girls at UCA                This must be taken into account.  Not to say there aren't any attractive females at UCA, but the percentile is at large at UA.   :D

In my experience at both schools, I saw more sweet honeys at UCA.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

You must find it difficult to type while wiping drool off your chin...dumb@$$.
Go away, batin'

MaconBacon

Man...some of you guys will argue over anything. C'mon....both great schools with a very good and long history.  UCA is where some of you greenies will be begging mom and dad let you go after you flunk out your first sem. at UA... its just a fact! Its gonna happen to more than one person that reads this :) 

cosmodrum

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 29, 2007, 12:53:02 pm
Quote from: Hogtropolis on January 28, 2007, 09:30:34 pm
Quote from: wkb on January 28, 2007, 09:27:53 pm
It is hard for me to believe UCA will every be better than the University of Arkansas.  First, we are the Razorbacks.  Next, we are the Razorbacks. Last, they are the sugar bears.
I'll have to agree.  I'm sorry if I offend any UCA alumni, but Arkansas HAS BEEN "THE" team in Arkansas, IS "THE" team in Arkansas, and always WILL BE "THE" team in Arkansas.
Not if Frank and Nutt say here 10 more years!  The UASSNuttitanic is sinking FAST!

Exactly! We were talking about athletics! Mmm...nachos. I hate it when I puke in my own mouth,
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 29, 2007, 01:33:53 pm

a) they just became Div I, so don't knock them for laying LA Tech...

b) the last time we played them (in football at least) was 1997.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Haight Ashbury on January 29, 2007, 04:01:38 pm

I've attended school at both UCA (1 year) and UA (3 years) and the girls are primo at both places. Difference is, the hottie in Conway is driving an Accord while the hottie in Fayetteville is driving a BMW.
UCA is a good place to go if you are a momma's baby and need to go home every other weekend or more. Partying at UCA isn't even close to as wild as in Fayetteville. Hell, Hendrix Warehouse parties were always much more fun than UCA's Greenhouse parties.  Dickson St. itself should end the discussion.

As a student of both Universties, I agree with all comments regarding partying. George's, The Gypsy, and Brewskis are all evidence to back that claim.

Those that are bashing UCA are doing so because they are desperately wanting to feel superior to someone...anyone. They are focusing on this "trivial pursuit" rather than concentrating thier energy on the most significant task at hand...making JFB and HDN go byebye.
Go away, batin'

spe450

Quote from: HogDart on January 29, 2007, 07:53:40 pm
     I attended UCA for four and a half years. I absolutely loved every second of it! I live in Fayetteville now, and I really enjoy the collegiate atmosphere of the U of A. Growing up I always wanted to attend the U of A, but when it came down to money UCA was free and the U of A definitely wasn't. As far as sports, I never got involved in UCA athletics, frankly I could've cared less. I spent my time sweltering in a band uniform wondering if the Hogs were beating Bama, Tennessee, Ole Miss..etc.
     I was in the band at UCA (hated the band, but full tuition scholarships are hard to pass up) and missed a lot of good Hog football because of it. I spent my time sweltering in a band uniform wondering if the Hogs were beating Bama, Tennessee, Ole Miss..etc.
The greek system at UCA isn't anything near what the U of A has to offer, but we had a blast nonetheless. For the old UCA grads on here, they are now allowing tailgating with kegs! That may have changed my entire college experience, if that was done while I was a student.
     As far as academics some departments at UCA are very strong. I got my BS in General Science, and although I basically scrapped my degree to go into business, many of my fellow science nerds are now enjoying UAMS pursuing either medical or pharmacy degrees. Talking with students who attended both schools, I always got the vibe that UCA had a stronger natural science program than the U of A. Personally I never attended the U of A so I have no frame of reference.
     Looking back I wouldn't change my decision for the world. I had some of the best times, and met some of the best people in Arkansas while at UCA. UCA has a lot to offer, and i've enjoyed watching it grow from 8,500 students when I was a freshman in Fall '99 to 12,000+ today. It is becoming a popular destination and I have no doubts it will continue to grow each and every year.
Yard Dart? Is that you?