Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA on the rise....

Started by jschulte, January 27, 2007, 11:58:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jschulte

I am sorry, I know there are talks of UCA getting close to being the size of U of A eventually.  Truth is, I just have a huge bias against rooting for a purple bear.  I don't see much pride behind that, but part of it could because I go to U of A.

Doug

Big difference in athetic programs, though.  UCA has a commitment to excellence and winning.  UCA is also extremely fan friendly.  UCA's ticket prices are far cheaper.  :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

moley_russells_wart_hog

well my son is a freshman in college, last year when deciding where to go ,
due to his act he could have got a full ride to uca the u of a offerred $500 a
semester

Shocktheman

Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on January 28, 2007, 08:14:30 pm
semester

IMO, a degree from UCA is not much different than a degree from the U of A.  Take the full ride.

arkjay19

Classes are far tougher by all accounts at Arkansas than UCA.  Not to say UCA isn't a good school and the second best university in the state, but they're still a distant second.

And UCA is not gonna catch up to Arkansas any time soon.  UCA built plenty of resident halls the last few years, but not enough other buildings to have destinations for those numerous students.

Arkansas is building and renovating many buildings including a few residence halls.  Arkansas keeps having university record setting freshmen classes, but UCA will probably hit a stall for a couple years.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: ET Hog Fan on January 28, 2007, 08:26:01 pm
semester

IMO, a degree from UCA is not much different than a degree from the U of A.  Take the full ride.
That's what I did.  No sense in paying out the wazoo for the same degree.

HamShank

And Conway is still in a dry county.  Three colleges and a damn dry county.

hogninja

semester

Same with my daughter, Tuition and fees along with a Choir Scholie that pays for books.  Beats the $500 by UofA even with my State discount.
The center of learning is growing, the "U" better be looking over its shoulder. :razorback:

hogs25

I went to UCA for one year in the early 90's and hated it.  No offense to the ones that go there now and like it but back then it was a suitcase college.  People in Arkansas Hall couldn't wait until Friday to get the hell out of there.  Some left on Thursday and came back on Tuesday's.  Dry county.  Everyone had to drive to Morgan to get beer.  No bars with zero entertainment for college students.  That's when I packed up and went to UA to get my degree.  Fact is, UCA might be catching up with UA in attendance but at the end of the day they are still UCfreakingA.  It was one of the worst year's of my entire life in Conway and I remember going to the bathroom in the dormroom and marking another day off the calender in my checkbook to the number of days I had left there.  UA is the gateway to God!

wkb

It is hard for me to believe UCA will every be better than the University of Arkansas.  First, we are the Razorbacks.  Next, we are the Razorbacks. Last, they are the sugar bears.

hogninja

Quote from: hogs25 on January 28, 2007, 09:20:21 pm
I went to UCA for one year in the early 90's and hated it.  No offense to the ones that go there now and like it but back then it was a suitcase college.  People in Arkansas Hall couldn't wait until Friday to get the hell out of there.  Some left on Thursday and came back on Tuesday's.  Dry county.  Everyone had to drive to Morgan to get beer.  No bars with zero entertainment for college students.  That's when I packed up and went to UA to get my degree.  Fact is, UCA might be catching up with UA in attendance but at the end of the day they are still UCfreakingA.  It was one of the worst year's of my entire life in Conway and I remember going to the bathroom in the dormroom and marking another day off the calender in my checkbook to the number of days I had left there.  UA is the gateway to God!

"Early 90's" is not today, 15 years later.  Hardin has really pumped up the University and it's perception.  With the population in central AR as it is and with the improvements by the administration, UCA could very well be a player in the very near future.  BTW, I went to Hendrix in the 70's so I know what the previous view of UCA was and now with my daughter going there, I see the vast improvement in the last 7 years under Lu Hardin as administrator. :razorback:

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: wkb on January 28, 2007, 09:27:53 pm
It is hard for me to believe UCA will every be better than the University of Arkansas.  First, we are the Razorbacks.  Next, we are the Razorbacks. Last, they are the sugar bears.
I'll have to agree.  I'm sorry if I offend any UCA alumni, but Arkansas HAS BEEN "THE" team in Arkansas, IS "THE" team in Arkansas, and always WILL BE "THE" team in Arkansas.

Table Rocker

moley_russells_wart_hog

semester

for the record my son didnt go to ither school but that was what was on the table for him

jschulte

Another thing, Central Arkansas hasn't had anywhere near the growth that NWA is experiencing (sixth in the nation).  WNBA coming soon... I only hope for some men sports (perhaps NBA, or MLB... NFL is way too far a long shot).

hogs25

Don't get me wrong.  Conway is booming like a mf now but it just wasn't for me.  I love the Hogs and I wanted to move north to be around them everyday.  Maybe one day when White's get thru shining JFB shoe's everyday we could get a Lu Hardin to run the UA.  He's doing a good job there.  We had more fun playing the original Nintendo than anything else.  Hitting Wal-Mart about 2 in the morning was always fun too.  But then again I partied so much in Fayetteville to last a lifetime.  Now when I have to attend some function it just sucks because it's not like it used to be...

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: hogs25 on January 28, 2007, 09:41:31 pm
Don't get me wrong.  Conway is booming like a mf now but it just wasn't for me.  I love the Hogs and I wanted to move north to be around them everyday.  Maybe one day when White's get thru shining JFB shoe's everyday we could get a Lu Hardin to run the UA.  He's doing a good job there.  We had more fun playing the original Nintendo than anything else.  Hitting Wal-Mart about 2 in the morning was always fun too.  But then again I partied so much in Fayetteville to last a lifetime.  Now when I have to attend some function it just sucks because it's not like it used to be...

you must have never got lemonaid at frank o's

ThunderHog

Quote from: jschulte on January 28, 2007, 09:41:22 pm
Another thing, Central Arkansas hasn't had anywhere near the growth that NWA is experiencing (sixth in the nation).  WNBA coming soon... I only hope for some men sports (perhaps NBA, or MLB... NFL is way too far a long shot).

You gotta be kiddin'.  The Memphis metro is 1.2 million and is one of the smallest NBA markets.  The NBA and MLB ain't happenin' anytime soon.

jschulte

Quote from: ThunderHog on January 28, 2007, 09:49:25 pm

You gotta be kiddin'.  The Memphis metro is 1.2 million and is one of the smallest NBA markets.  The NBA and MLB ain't happenin' anytime soon.

Goodness, way to shoot down a dream...

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: hogapalooza on January 28, 2007, 09:54:11 pm
Find out more at

www.purplebears.net

well, is that trafalgar square in the back ground of your avitar

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: hogapalooza on January 28, 2007, 10:02:26 pm
Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on January 28, 2007, 09:58:49 pm
Find out more at

www.purplebears.net

Yep, if that is where the American soldiers have memorials at in London?

theres an american memorial at st pauls

semester

I graduated from both, and the U of A is an entirely different experience than is UCA. Not better or worse, but tour both and decide which is best for your child.

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: Karma on January 28, 2007, 10:07:55 pm
semester

I graduated from both, and the U of A is an entirely different experience than is UCA. Not better or worse, but tour both and decide which is best for your child.

my wife attended both , 4 years at the u of a and finished up at uca as it had the only program in the state that had her major, if you were to ask her which one  she would choose it would be uca hands down

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: hogapalooza on January 28, 2007, 10:10:42 pm
Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on January 28, 2007, 10:07:27 pm
Quote from: hogapalooza on January 28, 2007, 10:02:26 pm
Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on January 28, 2007, 09:58:49 pm
Find out more at

www.purplebears.net

Yep, if that is where the American soldiers have memorials at in London?

theres an american memorial at st pauls
hmmm...  That name sure sounds familiar.  He took us all over the cool spots that day, I know we were there.  Do you like London?

yep, the back ground looks familiar,

who was it that said if your grow tired of london you grow tired of life

Squealsonwheels

Hey   NO ONE said that UCA would ever be the number 1 program in the state or better than Arkansas...The fact is UCA is doing a much better job of building a program along with the academics than most had thought. The Hogs have nothing to worry about and never will as far as recruits go but ASU better watch out

cityhog

I have a BA from UCA and an MA from UA. Both schools served their purpose.  College is what you make it.  I partied like it was 1999 for 4 years in Conway (the beer run to Morgan was half the fun), and I partied for 4 in fayetteville.  Good times all the way around. 

BUT, I never attended a sporting event at UCA.  Hogs all the way baby.

cityhog

Quote from: Fresh Legs? on January 28, 2007, 10:30:56 pm
Quote from: Hogtropolis on January 28, 2007, 09:30:34 pm
I'll have to agree.  I'm sorry if I offend any UCA alumni, but Arkansas HAS BEEN "THE" team in Arkansas, IS "THE" team in Arkansas, and always WILL BE "THE" team in Arkansas.

No one (or at least very few) are debating Arkansas is not THE TEAM.  That's how it was for me at UCA and many others. 

However, when it comes to choosing an education, UCA was a much better alternative financially.  My employer certainly did not hold it against me that I didn't attend the University of Arkansas.  It probably depends on the program but they were satisfied with the classes I took and the faculty that taught me.  In fact, I know a couple of folks who attended the UofA and said they thought UCA was better in the particular area that I graduated in.  Take it for what its worth.  It was only two people. 

The point is academically they are a lot closer than they are athletically.   

word.

I was repeating classes on the Masters level at the UofA that I had at the BA level at UCA.  I was well prepared.

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: arkhog9 on January 28, 2007, 09:06:42 pm
Classes are far tougher by all accounts at Arkansas than UCA.  Not to say UCA isn't a good school and the second best university in the state, but they're still a distant second.

And UCA is not gonna catch up to Arkansas any time soon.  UCA built plenty of resident halls the last few years, but not enough other buildings to have destinations for those numerous students.

Arkansas is building and renovating many buildings including a few residence halls.  Arkansas keeps having university record setting freshmen classes, but UCA will probably hit a stall for a couple years.

thats the only reason my son didnt chose uca is cause lack of student housing

but look what the u of a offers a kid who gets a 30 on his act and what uca offers

jschulte

U of A hardly gives any money.  I'm here mostly based on loans myself, but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.  I have friends at UCA, and I just dread visiting... I am also from Cabot, and wanted to get away - and 40 minutes just didn't do it.  They are putting alot of money into renovating the housing here... as well as a brand new one will be up next year for first and second year, should be pretty nice.

spe450

Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on January 28, 2007, 10:41:25 pm

but look what the u of a offers a kid who gets a 30 on his act and what uca offers

UCA's honor's college is second to none.  Those students have the best of everything.

arkhog9 - you obviously haven't been to UCA's campus anytime recently.  I believe they have only built two dorms and those are suite style for upperclassmen.  I don't believe anymore old style two to a tiny room dorms will ever be built again on that campus.  To remedy overflow, they have to put students in off campus apartments (don't hear too many students complaining).  They have also built several new academic buildings within the past 10 years. 

One thing many don't understand is that UCA doesn't want to compete with UofA.  From the faculty I have spoken with, they want to keep it primarily an undergraduate institution with the exception of a few departments.  Look for a cap on the number of students admitted soon as well.

Kinghog1

well If I recall there are several coaches that were at The U of A that ended up at UCA..........One of them is still there coaching their Baseball team, and he is a very good coach I might add

Tough Titty said The Kitty but the milk is still good

rangehog

January 28, 2007, 11:29:54 pm #31 Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:50:53 pm by rangehog
Quote from: spe450 on January 28, 2007, 11:05:57 pm

UCA's honor's college is second to none.  Those students have the best of everything.

arkhog9 - you obviously haven't been to UCA's campus anytime recently.  I believe they have only built two dorms and those are suite style for upperclassmen.  I don't believe anymore old style two to a tiny room dorms will ever be built again on that campus.  To remedy overflow, they have to put students in off campus apartments (don't hear too many students complaining).  They have also built several new academic buildings within the past 10 years. 

One thing many don't understand is that UCA doesn't want to compete with UofA.  From the faculty I have spoken with, they want to keep it primarily an undergraduate institution with the exception of a few departments.  Look for a cap on the number of students admitted soon as well.

You are dead on with your post.

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: rangehog on January 28, 2007, 11:29:54 pm
Quote from: spe450 on January 28, 2007, 11:05:57 pm

You are dead on with your post.

i think uca along with tech are quietly giving our young quality undergraduate educations

Dugann

I tell ya normally 2-3 games for the hogs I go to this year.... will be 1-2 games for Tulsa and 1 game for UCA.  I am a Bear fan for sure really always liked them since I went to B-ball camp there with scotty pippen after his first year pro was a great experience.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Conway Cool Daddy

UCA is growing faster than most realize. I went to both schools and I preferred UCA academically.
Of course the UA has the Hogs and there is no competition in athletics. I plan to pull for both.

UA - 14,353 undergrad
UCA- 9,969 undergrad

They are not as far behind as some would imagine.

http://www.uca.edu/research/QFFall2006.php

sage_dragoon

UCA grad here....already 2nd largest college in the state. Yes its a dry county, but so is ASU's county. Also, getting drunk was never a problem when I was there. Only 20 min from the box store.  With it's proximity to LR, if UCA goes D-1A(currently D-1AA), UA will have to worry more about losing recruits to UCA than to outside schools.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

hogdave

Something that nobody had mentioned here, UCA and the U of A are mutually exclusive.  UCA does not pretend to try and compete with the U of A.  What has happened is that UCA is stealing students in the Central Arkansas area from ASU.  ASU is the school that needs to be worried both athletically and academically.

One other thing, I graduated from UCA in '98 and have people I work with that graduated from the UofA.  Besides master degree levels the education is pretty equal.  Also UCA does not use many graduate assistants to teach classes, all are taught by professors.

STRILE

"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

Purple Pride

UCA sets fourth consecutive enrollment record
The University of Central Arkansas has set another record enrollment this fall of 12,400 students, making UCA the second largest college in Arkansas.

Since Lu Hardin assumed the presidency in September 2002, UCA has added nearly 4,000 students, increasing from 8,500 students to 12,400 students. This represents a 46 percent increase in four years.
"I am very pleased at where UCA's enrollment stands at the present time," Hardin said. "Not only have we increased our enrollment by 4,000 students, but we are getting better students. The average ACT of entering freshmen has improved from 23.1 to 23.5 and our graduation rate has increased from 48 percent to 52 percent in that time period. Our Honors College, established in 1983, has grown to 600 students with an average ACT of 31, ensuring not only an increase in quantity but an increase in quality."

U.S. News & World Report recently ranked UCA 61st in the South in academic excellence, marking the first year that UCA has been ranked. UCA was the only public Arkansas university in that category.

"I attribute our growth to our marketing campaign and simply making people aware that one of the most beautiful universities in the South exists within a 25 minute drive of Little Rock. UCA has always been an outstanding university; we simply have told the story," Hardin said.

UCA will spend at least one year in the 12,000 student range in order to catch-up with infrastructure needs and then re-evaluate the long-term enrollment goal.

Frankenswine

I attended 4 years at UCA, summer school in Fayetteville, and 4 years at UAMS, so I feel qualified to post on this subject.  The classes I took at Fayetteville were not subpar, but they were not as challenging as the classes at UCA (I can only speak to the science classes).  I think arkhog9 is misinformed.  At UAMS, I spoke to professors in the College of Medicine and College of Pharmacy, and they all said that the best prepared students came from UCA.  You can also check the percentages of enrollees at UAMS, and you will see that UCA leads the pack. 

Just had to throw a defense for UCA out there :)

(By the way, I had a lot more fun in Fayetteville.)

batesvegashog

Let's get one thing straight here.  I work in higher ed. administration at a school that actually has academic standards.  That aside, I have a degree from the U of A and over the years I have worked closely with UCA.  There is NO comparison folks, UCA is a MUCH better school academically than the U of A.  And as hard as it is for me to say that, it's true.  Neither could touch that of a Hendrix or Lyon College but then I digress.  I love the UofA but right now Lou Hardin has things going on and up, at what is now the best public university in the state

sage_dragoon

Quote from: donewithdale on January 29, 2007, 10:18:19 am
Quote from: batesvegashog on January 29, 2007, 10:05:03 am
Let's get one thing straight here.  I work in higher ed. administration at a school that actually has academic standards.  That aside, I have a degree from the U of A and over the years I have worked closely with UCA.  There is NO comparison folks, UCA is a MUCH better school academically than the U of A.  And as hard as it is for me to say that, it's true.  Neither could touch that of a Hendrix or Lyon College but then I digress.  I love the UofA but right now Lou Hardin has things going on and up, at what is now the best public university in the state

I bet it is the best teachers' college in the state.  Since educ majors at the UA are hotties looking for their Mrs degree or band dorks, I bet UCA does put out better teachers. 

Don't post if you dont want to be part of the discussion. Yeah, UCA used to be Arkansas Teachers College or whatever. Big deal. Fact is that they are 5-10 years from being, IMO, the major college in the state. I'll always love my hogs but it's fun to see my alma matter grow up right in front of me.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

chiefsfan

UCA is growing in academics,   and its location helps its numbers there.   2nd in the state in enrollment.

Problem is that UCA is still a distant third in the state when it comes to athletics, and maybe fourth, if you want to rank a footballless UALR in front of them

UCA will never grow to the level of the University of Arkansas.   Its a good 10 years or so away before even being able to consider going D1 in all sports in athletics

If UCA wants to be #1 in the state it has alot of work to do.   It needs a larger, better looking campus, and it needs to seriously upgrade all of its athletic facilities
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

spe450

Quote from: donewithdale on January 29, 2007, 10:29:29 am
Quote from: sage_dragoon on January 29, 2007, 10:25:17 am
Quote from: donewithdale on January 29, 2007, 10:18:19 am
Quote from: batesvegashog on January 29, 2007, 10:05:03 am

I bet it is the best teachers' college in the state.  Since educ majors at the UA are hotties looking for their Mrs degree or band dorks, I bet UCA does put out better teachers. 

Don't post if you dont want to be part of the discussion. Yeah, UCA used to be Arkansas Teachers College or whatever. Big deal. Fact is that they are 5-10 years from being, IMO, the major college in the state. I'll always love my hogs but it's fun to see my alma matter grow up right in front of me.

How are Lu's engineering and architecture schools coming along?
UCA is not an engineering school and nobody said it was.  If you want engineering, go 3 hours south of Conway and you have one of the best engineering schools in the nation.  Go 3 hours north and you have an excellent engineering/architecture school. 

Once again, UCA wants to cater to undergrads.  In order to be a great engineering school, you need a great graduate program in that department.

humphrey

This is a pretty interesting thread.  Many have said that they are comparing academics and quality of life issues, not athletics (though it is always difficult to keep athletics to the side, considering how long some people on this board have rooted for their respective teams).  We all have different ideas of what makes a good school, but I think the guy who said "college is what you make of it" had it right.

I chose UA over UCA because UCA didn't have the program I wanted.  Nevertheless, each has its purpose and each student must decide what is best for himself.  UCA is a small liberal arts college that serves primarily undergrads.  UA is a land-grant school that also serves undergrads, but is internationally recognized as a research institution.  UCA seeks to serve the local population.  UA has a legal obligation to serve the entire state (think agriculture here -- extension, etc.)  They have different missions -- they will never be the same because they do different things.  Its like saying that John Deere and Textron are the same becaue they both make outdoor power equipment.

As far as classes being harder or easier at one place or the other, that's all relative anyhow.  If the student doesn't study, anything can be hard.  But a hard class does not necessarily mean it is better.  Either way you slice it, a college degree is a college degree.  Its not the piece of paper that matters -- it is the knowledge you have and are able to use that matters.

sage_dragoon

Anyone else remeber ASU bailing on playing UCA after they almost got beat by them when UCA was DII? UCA is in the perfect spot to be a major college. Only school who has a better location would be UALR when you think about being centrally located.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

Shocktheman

Quote from: humphrey on January 29, 2007, 11:46:38 am
This is a pretty interesting thread.  Many have said that they are comparing academics and quality of life issues, not athletics (though it is always difficult to keep athletics to the side, considering how long some people on this board have rooted for their respective teams).  We all have different ideas of what makes a good school, but I think the guy who said "college is what you make of it" had it right.

I chose UA over UCA because UCA didn't have the program I wanted.  Nevertheless, each has its purpose and each student must decide what is best for himself.  UCA is a small liberal arts college that serves primarily undergrads.  UA is a land-grant school that also serves undergrads, but is internationally recognized as a research institution.  UCA seeks to serve the local population.  UA has a legal obligation to serve the entire state (think agriculture here -- extension, etc.)  They have different missions -- they will never be the same because they do different things.  Its like saying that John Deere and Textron are the same becaue they both make outdoor power equipment.

As far as classes being harder or easier at one place or the other, that's all relative anyhow.  If the student doesn't study, anything can be hard.  But a hard class does not necessarily mean it is better.  Either way you slice it, a college degree is a college degree.  Its not the piece of paper that matters -- it is the knowledge you have and are able to use that matters.

As above, athletics aside, I believe UCA a great option.  For that matter, the other 4 year state institutions are good options as well. A college education is what you make it!  I went to UA Monticello and have no complaints. . . I am right where I want to be in my career thanks to a good start at UAM.  With regards to sports, I will always be a HOG fan!

DriveByHogger

semester

Not much different as long as you aren't leaving Arkansas.
She ain't revved 'till the rods are thrown!

Sowabunga

January 29, 2007, 12:48:51 pm #48 Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 12:55:46 pm by Sowabunga
Your degree helps you get the first job but after that it is really insignificant. 

I attended UofA my freshman year, went to a junior college in Colorado my sophomore year, completed my bachelors and first masters at ASU, and finally got my second masters at UofA.  I even picked up a couple of classes at Hendrix.  In all honesty, the most academically challenging school was the junior college in Colorado.  ASU and UofA were about the same academically, minimal effort required to have A's in all my classes.  If had to choose between ASU and UofA I would probably give the nod to ASU for quality because all my instructors were professors, never had a graduate assistant. 

We have a lot of borderline high school graduates that go off each year to the various colleges and they manage to come back in 4-6 years with a degree.  Knowing some of these kids the way I do, I can only surmise that our state colleges aren't as challenging as they should be.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hogtropolis on January 28, 2007, 09:30:34 pm
Not if Frank and Nutt say here 10 more years!  The UASSNuttitanic is sinking FAST!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.