Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas is a sleeping Giant

Started by GolfHog, January 08, 2018, 09:30:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfHog

Rebut to Wally and all those Vandy of the West supporters.

Arkansas never hired a good coach after Hatfield until Petrino. To blame the program for all those years of poor hires is just lazy. Look at Clemson. They were in the wilderness for years before Dabo. Look at Alabama between Bryant and Saban. Coaching makes all the difference. But, at Arkansas we are not ready to win because we are more concerned with money, access, and evangelism. This is only about two things, education and winning. The rest is a personality disorder.

flagstaffhog

Some truth to this. Good post.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: GolfHog on January 08, 2018, 09:30:11 am

Arkansas never hired a good coach after Hatfield until Petrino. To blame the program for all those years of poor hires is just lazy. Look at Clemson. They were in the wilderness for years before Dabo. Look at Alabama between Bryant and Saban. Coaching makes all the difference. But, at Arkansas we are not ready to win because we are more concerned with money, access, and evangelism. This is only about two things, education and winning. The rest is a personality disorder.

Bama won a NC under Stallings.

DoctorSusscrofa

It's not really about education. Fans don't want grade point averages. At all. Period. They want 5 star studs and 7 million dollar football coaches. Stop pretending it's about education.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 08, 2018, 09:40:06 am

He probably meant Stallings to Saban. After Stallings, Bama was in no-man's land for sure.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

GuvHog

Only 1. They were no longer what they were under Bear Bryant though. Stallings had to coach in Bear's shadow and got tired of it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

onebadrubi

Can someone tell me what actions the U of A has taken to show that Evangelism is taken into consideration?

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 08, 2018, 09:48:01 am
He probably meant Stallings to Saban. After Stallings, Bama was in no-man's land for sure.

Yep, got off in the weeds with the Flop from Opp and Shula.

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 08, 2018, 09:48:36 am
Can someone tell me what actions the U of A has taken to show that Evangelism is taken into consideration?

between that and the comment about education I was laughing too hard to reply.

Bama was a sleeping giant due to all the talent close to Tuscaloosa and all that really knocked them down was probation and the fallout from those times.

Arkansas is not close to any talent, and out of state difference makers are not going to come here, not out of state players OR coaches.

CM may end up being a good coach here, but is he going to be the difference maker that turns the program into an awake giant? Doubtful, but I doubt anyone is going to do that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 08, 2018, 09:49:36 am
Yep, got off in the weeds with the Flop from Opp and Shula.

And they almost hired Rich Rod.   Nothing about sports is absolute- Wally should know better.

Razorbackers

Eh, Arkansas doesn't make enough kids in state to be a "giant". We can and should be a consistent 8 win team that makes moves every 2-3 years as our roster gets deeper and a system gets put in place. Morris could be that guy, I suppose. He's definitely a better fit for the kids we make in state year in and year out than Bielema was. We don't make lineman, we make pass catchers, some dbs, and a QB or two every couple of years.

bphi11ips

They also failed to finish in the Top 25 in 13 of the almost 30 years between Bryant and Saban.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 08, 2018, 10:02:04 am
Eh, Arkansas doesn't make enough kids in state to be a "giant". We can and should be a consistent 8 win team that makes moves every 2-3 years as our roster gets deeper and a system gets put in place. Morris could be that guy, I suppose. He's definitely a better fit for the kids we make in state year in and year out than Bielema was. We don't make lineman, we make pass catchers, some dbs, and a QB or two every couple of years.

Eh. Are you old enough to remember when Arkansas was a giant?  Chad Morris and Bob Stoops are. They both called us a sleeping giant recently.

EastexHawg

There was nothing to see on TV last night so I watched the 2011 Auburn game.  It's the first time I have watched it since we saw it in the stadium that night.  We were ranked #10 coming in and Auburn was #15.  Of course we blew them out, 38-14, for our fifth win in six years against the War Tiger Plainsmen Eagles.

While I enjoyed the game, it was also really sad for my wife and me...seeing what we used to be, remembering what it felt like to be in the stadium amidst that excitement and electricity borne of knowing how good we were.  Can Arkansas be a giant?  Yes, but we haven't been for six years.  Instead, we have been awful with occasional mediocrity sprinkled in.  We have to have not only a good coach, we have to have a great one...at least great for our program.  Will we get back to that level?  If so, will it happen in the next ten years?  Twenty years?  That's about how long we floundered in the SEC wilderness before it happened the last time.

Tarheelhawg

I remember a  comment by Lou Holtz, "there are enough players in Texas for everyone."  He also recruited nation wide.  So waking the sleeping giant doesn't mean just in-state players, clearly.  This is exactly why Chad Morris appears to be such a good fit.   

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 08, 2018, 10:16:13 am
There was nothing to see on TV last night so I watched the 2011 Auburn game.  It's the first time I have watched it since we saw it in the stadium that night.  We were ranked #10 coming in and Auburn was #15.  Of course we blew them out, 38-14, for our fifth win in six years against the War Tiger Plainsmen Eagles.

While I enjoyed the game, it was also really sad for my wife and me...seeing what we used to be, remembering what it felt like to be in the stadium amidst that excitement and electricity borne of knowing how good we were.  Can Arkansas be a giant?  Yes, but we haven't been for six years.  Instead, we have been awful with occasional mediocrity sprinkled in.  We have to have not only a good coach, we have to have a great one...at least great for our program.  Will we get back to that level?  If so, will it happen in the next ten years?  Twenty years?  That's about how long we floundered in the SEC wilderness before it happened the last time.

It is funny how people want to pick one point in time and act as if that is the norm. I could pick 50 games from the last 25 years that looked exactly like many of the Hog games this past season. That seems much more like the norm than the Aub game of 2011.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

We aren't a sleeping giant.  We will not be a sleeping giant.  We can and will have great seasons again.

Bama declined when NCAA probation caught up to them in the mid 90s and again in the early 2000s.  Still won an SEC Ch in 99.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 10:19:27 am
It is funny how people want to pick one point in time and act as if that is the norm. I could pick 50 games from the last 25 years that looked exactly like many of the Hog games this past season. That seems much more like the norm than the Aub game of 2011.

You've been spinning the same broken record since Petrino was fired.  So have I.  One of us has been proven correct.

But you're right, it's probably pure coincidence that we went from an average season of 10-3 between 2009 and 2011 to 5-7 over the last six years. 

HoggyCat

Except every coach since Bryant at Alabama has had a 10 win season.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 08, 2018, 10:28:23 am
You've been spinning the same broken record since Petrino was fired.  So have I.  One of us has been proven correct.

But you're right, it's probably pure coincidence that we went from an average season of 10-3 between 2009 and 2011 to 5-7 over the last six years.

We had two really good seasons.  Better team in 2010 and better record and ranking in 2011.  2012 was heading back to normal and beyond that we don't know.  Maybe it would have went back up again. 

We have a chance to be a giant again in another sport but that is a conversation for another board I'm not going to touch right now. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dropkick

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 09:53:48 am
between that and the comment about education I was laughing too hard to reply.

Bama was a sleeping giant due to all the talent close to Tuscaloosa and all that really knocked them down was probation and the fallout from those times.

Arkansas is not close to any talent, and out of state difference makers are not going to come here, not out of state players OR coaches.

CM may end up being a good coach here, but is he going to be the difference maker that turns the program into an awake giant? Doubtful, but I doubt anyone is going to do that.
Maybe not enough but some do......................

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 08, 2018, 10:32:43 am
We had two really good seasons.  Better team in 2010 and better record and ranking in 2011.  2012 was heading back to normal and beyond that we don't know.  Maybe it would have went back up again. 

We have a chance to be a giant again in another sport but that is a conversation for another board I'm not going to touch right now. 

It would have been fun to watch Lamar Jackson on the Hill. 

Bash

Arkansas never hired a good coach after Hatfield until Petrino. To blame the program for all those years of poor hires is just lazy. Look at Clemson. They were in the wilderness for years before Dabo Morris. Look at Alabama between Bryant and Saban. Coaching makes all the difference. But, at Arkansas we are not ready to win because we are more concerned with money, access, and evangelism. This is only about two things, education and winning. The rest is a personality disorder.

FIFY
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

hawginbigd1

CCM may be the guy to get it done, but our successful seasons the past 18 years plus was on the backs of Arkansas studs, and losing 3 of the top 4 recruits this season does not portend well!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 08, 2018, 10:49:54 am
It would have been fun to watch Lamar Jackson on the Hill.

Sure. If Lamar Thomas had joined Petrino's staff here to have sold him on Jackson.

Inhogswetrust

January 08, 2018, 11:07:50 am #26 Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:20:56 am by Inhogswetrust

They hired THREE coaches that looked like great hires at the time. Ford, Petrino and Bret. Just because it didn't work out for them doesn't mean they weren't all considered good hires at the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

January 08, 2018, 11:09:15 am #27 Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:22:20 am by Inhogswetrust

But they also had some coaches NOT do a good job.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawganatic

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 08, 2018, 09:59:20 am

And they almost hired Rich Rod.   Nothing about sports is absolute- Wally should know better.

If Rich Rod hadn't backed out, Bama would be just another average SEC program right now.  Probably up and down like Auburn has been the last 20 years.

There's nothing inherent about Bama that makes them a winning program.  They have to have the right person running the ship. 

We get the right person running our ship and we can be a top SEC program.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on January 08, 2018, 09:48:28 am
Only 1. They were no longer what they were under Bear Bryant though. Stallings had to coach in Bear's shadow and got tired of it.

Oh good grief Guv. Stallings did NOT coach under the Bears shadow. He wasn't worried about any shadow. He got tired of all the crap their boosters pulled and the NCAA investigation.

bphi11ips

You have to go back to 1948-1953 to find a six year stretch as bad as the last 6 years.  Why everyone thinks the last six years is now the status quo is beyond me. 

Bobby Petrino was 17-15 in SEC games in 4 years, but he was 6-2 his last two.  Houston Nutt was 42-38. 

One thing we know is that Bret Bielema was a disaster.  There is simply no reason why his teams should have underperformed the way they did for as long as they did. 

All it takes is ONE coach to make a difference. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 08, 2018, 11:18:00 am
You have to go back to 1948-1953 to find a six year stretch as bad as the last 6 years.  Why everyone thinks the last six years is now the status quo is beyond me. 

Bobby Petrino was 17-15 in SEC games in 4 years, but he was 6-2 his last two.  Houston Nutt was 42-38. 

One thing we know is that Bret Bielema was a disaster.  There is simply no reason why his teams should have underperformed the way they did for as long as they did. 

Well done. One of your best posts ever.

hogsanity

No one is saying the last 2 years or 4 years or 6 years is the norm. But 10 & 11 were not the norm either, and neither was 2006 or 1998 or 1989 or 1988 or 1977. If you just have to pull out one season and try to say it was the norm for the program, look at 14 or 09. Both seasons saw games against "big time" teams that the Hogs had great shots to win, but fell just short, had at least 1 head scratching loss, and one pretty bad loss.

Dropkick

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 08, 2018, 10:05:47 am
Eh. Are you old enough to remember when Arkansas was a giant?  Chad Morris and Bob Stoops are. They both called us a sleeping giant recently.
Are you saying Morris and Stoops know more than Wally?.........

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 08, 2018, 10:20:08 am
We aren't a sleeping giant.  We will not be a sleeping giant.  We can and will have great seasons again.

Bama declined when NCAA probation caught up to them in the mid 90s and again in the early 2000s.  Still won an SEC Ch in 99.

With a different coach than we had....................and under a BIG cloud called the NCAA.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 08, 2018, 11:25:09 am
With a different coach than we had....................and under a BIG cloud called the NCAA.

Yes we wouldn't have had the same coach. ?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 08, 2018, 11:26:50 am
Yes we wouldn't have had the same coach. ?

Thus my point. MAYBE they had a much better coach than us then. They sure a$ heck knew how to recruit more highly rated player$.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 11:22:15 am
No one is saying the last 2 years or 4 years or 6 years is the norm. But 10 & 11 were not the norm either, and neither was 2006 or 1998 or 1989 or 1988 or 1977. If you just have to pull out one season and try to say it was the norm for the program, look at 14 or 09. Both seasons saw games against "big time" teams that the Hogs had great shots to win, but fell just short, had at least 1 head scratching loss, and one pretty bad loss.

I believe that is basically what EastEx said.  He is the poster I replied to.  He referred to "what we used to be", and further said that we had wandered in the wilderness for 20 years before 2010-11 and speculated that it might be that long again.  What a bunch of horse manure!  Arkansas went to three SEC championship games from 1995 to 2006!  Jeez.

All it takes is a coach.  Hide and watch.

Peter Porker

I remember the 2011 Vandy game...
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 08, 2018, 11:29:21 am
Thus my point. MAYBE they had a much better coach than us then. They sure a$ heck knew how to recruit more highly rated player$.

Mike Dubose.

They had players including a great RB. 

Nutt also choked that season when he got Stoerner hurt in the rent a win blowout.

Peter Porker

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 08, 2018, 11:31:19 am
I believe that is basically what EastEx said.  He is the poster I replied to.  He referred to "what we used to be", and further said that we had wandered in the wilderness for 20 years before 2010-11 and speculated that it might be that long again.  What a bunch of horse manure!  Arkansas went to three SEC championship games from 1995 to 2006!  Jeez.

And a down Bama.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 08, 2018, 11:31:19 am

So you think Ford and HDn were great coaches? Kind of odd that two coaches who people here still revile were the only two to go to the SECCG.

elviscat

Arkansas, will never be a factor in the SEC West, too little talent with poor recruiting will be our downfall.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2018, 11:32:45 am
I remember the 2011 Vandy game...

You remember a close win?  Well, that certainly makes blowing out ranked Auburn, South Carolina, and Kansas State teams on the way to a final #5 ranking stink. 

HF#1

A sleeping giant that won't wake up.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hogwild

The reason- talent, either he didn't recruit it or couldn't develop it

2015, 2016, and 2017 drafts, Arkansas only had one player drafted in the top 3 rounds- Hunter Henry.

I don't think the next draft will include a lot of Hogs.  When you opponents(A&M, LSU, Bama, Auburn) are seeing multiple players drafted in the 1st round, and we only have 1 player drafted in the first 3 rounds over multiple drafts.  That is one of reasons I cringe when I see people posting, "this team has talent to win 8 or 9 games."   I think CCM is going to do great here, but he will need time to get his players.

hawganatic

Quote from: elviscat on January 08, 2018, 11:37:44 am
Arkansas, will never be a factor in the SEC West, too little talent with poor recruiting will be our downfall.

So you don't think we can get back to where we were in 2010-11?  I'm sure you never thought we'd be a factor then either.

Dropkick

I think we are just sleeping....................

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogwild on January 08, 2018, 11:47:46 am
The reason- talent, either he didn't recruit it or couldn't develop it

2015, 2016, and 2017 drafts, Arkansas only had one player drafted in the top 3 rounds- Hunter Henry.

I don't think the next draft will include a lot of Hogs.  When you opponents(A&M, LSU, Bama, Auburn) are seeing multiple players drafted in the 1st round, and we only have 1 player drafted in the first 3 rounds over multiple drafts.  That is one of reasons I cringe when I see people posting, "this team has talent to win 8 or 9 games."   I think CCM is going to do great here, but he will need time to get his players.

NAh, we just need to get a bunch of 2 stars from 2a Arkansas high school football  " that just want it more "

Peter Porker

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 08, 2018, 11:39:03 am
You remember a close win?  Well, that certainly makes blowing out ranked Auburn, South Carolina, and Kansas State teams on the way to a final #5 ranking stink.

I remember a miracle 93 yard fumble recovery and a pray that a FG isn't good. Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt.

But I also remember an offense that couldn't do squat vs Bama. A Bama team that many hog fans later on cheered on to win a national title.