Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

COULD HOGS PULL OFF A MAJOR UPSET THIS YEAR

Started by OLEJACKETFAN, March 29, 2018, 11:30:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 29, 2018, 07:42:13 pm
do you believe that because you are a pessimist, because you don't like morris, or because you think CBB recruited poorly (aka you think our players suck)
Your last cause.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

USChog

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

MuskogeeHogFan

March 30, 2018, 07:36:51 pm #53 Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:22:50 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: bphi11ips on March 30, 2018, 08:07:52 am
This is interesting stuff.

After re-checking some numbers and recalculating, there is little or no change in the order of teams or points, except that Alabama was better than I first calculated. Here's the 2013-2017 class point totals from 24/7 Sports for each West and East team divided by the number of wins each team had from 2014-2017. Obviously, the fewer class points needed for each win is better. This really illustrates the productivity gap between the West and the East for the 2014-2017 seasons.

Teams          2013-17 Class Points       2014-2017 Wins        2014-2017 Class Pts/Win
ALA                      1576.2                          53                              29.7
MSU                     1083.5                          34                              31.9
AUB                      1354.0                          33                              41.0
OLM                      1251.7                          30                              41.7
ARK                       1086.7                          26                              41.8
A&M                      1304.0                          31                              42.1
LSU                       1447.4                          34                              42.6

GEO                       1399.2                          41                              34.1
MIZ                        982.5                           27                              36.4
KEN                       1025.9                          24                               42.7
FLA                        1298.9                         30                               43.3
TEN                        1266.6                         29                               43.7
USC                        1138.2                         25                               45.5
VAN                         914.6                          18                               50.8

Who got more out of the talent that they had recruited, signed and developed? There is a pretty good indication. What could Mullen have done with more talent? Or Missouri?   
Go Hogs Go!

rtr

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 30, 2018, 07:36:51 pm
After re-checking some numbers and recalculating, there is little or no change in the order of teams or points, except that Alabama was better than I first calculated. Here's the 2013-2017 class point totals from 24/7 Sports for each West and East team divided by the number of wins each team had from 2014-2017. Obviously, the fewer class points needed for each win is better. This really illustrates the productivity gap between the West and the East for the 2014-2017 seasons.

Teams          2013-17 Class Points       2014-2017 Wins        2014-2017 Class Pts/Win
ALA                      1576.2                          53                              29.7
MSU                     1083.5                          34                              31.9
AUB                      1354.0                          33                              41.0
OLM                      1251.7                          30                              41.7
ARK                       1086.7                          26                              41.8
A&M                      1304.0                          31                              42.1
LSU                       1447.4                          34                              42.6

GEO                       1399.2                          41                              34.1
MIZ                        982.5                           27                              36.4
KEN                       1025.9                          24                               42.7
FLA                        1298.9                         30                               43.3
TEN                        1266.6                         29                               43.7
USC                        1138.2                         25                               45.5
VAN                         914.6                          18                               50.8

Who got more out of the talent that they had recruited, signed and developed? There is a pretty good indication. What could Mullen have done with more talent? Or Missouri?   
Mullen got a lot of out of Mississippi State and they came that close to knocking off Bama.  Mizzou has overachieved since joining the conference.  They were so close to playing in the BCSNCG in 2013
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 31, 2018, 05:39:08 am #55 Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 07:04:02 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: rtr on March 30, 2018, 09:43:11 pm
Mullen got a lot of out of Mississippi State and they came that close to knocking off Bama.  Mizzou has overachieved since joining the conference.  They were so close to playing in the BCSNCG in 2013

And looking at LSU's productivity with all the talent that they had over that period of time, you can see how greatly they underachieved as well. It is definitely a two part equation. Not just having great talent, but having better coaching as well. Speaking of Mullen, now he has a chance to move Florida back to higher levels of recruiting (top 10) and he might just bring them back to greater prominence in the East.

As for Missouri, Pinkel took some heat at Missouri after their first season in the SEC (2012: 5-7) but responded nicely with 12-2 and 11-3 seasons and then more heat with a 5-7 record in 2015. You could say that they have overachieved but what the numbers show is that the coaching they had was just able to get more production out of the talent that they had recruited, signed and developed.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcards

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 29, 2018, 12:05:53 pm
We'll be the underdog in every game this year except the non-conf games (and may be in one of those). So yes, we will upset someone.

Hogs will be the favorites in games against Ole Miss, Vandy and Miss St.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

HeathWimp

Not this year.  Maybe in a couple of years if the recruiting improves.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 29, 2018, 07:40:16 pm
Hogs will do well to win 4 again this year. None of their wins will be "major upset". The PTB let the Bret put the program into the John T. We are the worst program in the SEC. Hope Morris will change that in 2 or 3 seasons.
We will have a year similar to 1998 with the Bama game giving us a shot at #1 like Tennessee did that year.

Morris is probably already drawing up plays for aTm and will beat them by 21+.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 31, 2018, 10:40:35 am
We will have a year similar to 1998 with the Bama game giving us a shot at #1 like Tennessee did that year.

Morris is probably already drawing up plays for aTm and will beat them by 21+.

I like the way Morris talks and the energy that he infuses into the team and that he projects to the media and fan base, but I'm not ready to crown him as the next great thing at this point. The ultimate judge will be the outcome of the seasons that lay ahead.

There are some who have cited how he rebuilt the SMU program and he did indeed move them from 5-7 in 2013 and 1-11 in 2014 to 2-10, 5-7 and 7-6 in 2015-2017. And while he did produce better recruiting classes, they weren't substantially better, going from 128.33 class points (2014) to 142.99 (2015), 152.27 (2016) and 140.4 (2017). As far as getting "more from less" he ranked 9th out of 12 teams in the AAC in terms of cumulative class points divided by wins. Over that time Navy was #1 in getting the most out of talent that they had to work with, Temple second, Houston third, S. Florida fourth, Memphis fifth, Tulsa sixth and UCF at 7th and U Conn at 8th.

So while I am hoping that with better talent at his disposal and being back on a competitive level similar to his time at Clemson, that he will in time rebuild this program to the point that we are far more competitive. I don't expect it in year 1, but who knows? He might just be the right coach at the right time and in the right place, to make it happen sooner. I certainly hope so.
Go Hogs Go!

kp72204

Remember the movie major league? Let's say before the season we all think we're trash, win a couple and think these guys aren't so bad, and then.................

JONAS

Right now I just want to beat the Aggies. Sick of losing to them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JONAS on March 31, 2018, 01:24:19 pm
Right now I just want to beat the Aggies. Sick of losing to them.

Don't expect A&M to improve their average record by very much under Jimbo Fisher. His better chance was in the ACC and he underachieved at Florida State.
Go Hogs Go!

Lady Razorback

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 29, 2018, 07:21:17 pm
Anyone in the stands when unranked Arkansas clobbered No.1 Texas 42-11 knows that anything can happen when the ball bounces your way.

The only major upsets on our 2018 schedule would be Auburn or Alabama. It would take a bunch of turnovers and good breaks, but we're due. It could happen.

Arkansas should be favored in at least six games.  They'll probably be underdogs in the other six but could win 4 of those. Alabama or Auburn would take a perfect storm.

OMG, I was there with my Dad, and I will never forget it.  EVER!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LJHOG

We lose to Alabama by less than 4 touchdowns and they'll be upset.  That count?

PorkSoda

Quote from: LJHOG on April 02, 2018, 05:18:48 pm
We lose to Alabama by less than 4 touchdowns and they'll be upset.  That count?
lol, saban will be pissed
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.