Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I’ll say it. PITIFUL

Started by Mr. Porkleone, January 30, 2018, 10:57:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

Typical Anderson coached road team.

Pitiful from the Free Throw Line

Pitiful from the Three Point Line

FIRE Anderson.  7 years in and we aren't any better. We suck on the road with no sign of getting better.  There are still many beat downs left on road. There is no defending this coaches ability.

tkclark

Go back and look at his road record every year he has been here.  Brutal.  Abandon all hope ye who enters here type stuff.  We are hosed

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: tkclark on January 30, 2018, 11:38:05 pm
Go back and look at his road record every year he has been here.  Brutal.  Abandon all hope ye who enters here type stuff.  We are hosed
all years but 2
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

tkclark

January 31, 2018, 12:02:16 am #3 Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 01:22:43 am by tkclark
Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 30, 2018, 11:47:54 pm
all years but 2

And if you include those 2 years you get around a 34% winning percentage for his time here.  As I said we are screwed.  How's his road record look this year?  3-6 this year with a senior-laden team. 33%

Nickle-Pig

Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

mbgrulz

Quote from: tkclark on January 31, 2018, 12:02:16 am
And if you include those 2 years you get around a 34% winning percentage for his time here.  As I said we are screwed.  How's his road record look this year?  3-6 this year with a senior-laden team. 33%
If you can win 33% of your conference rod games, that's not bad.

20gauge

We have won 1 true road game this year. This others are considered neutral site.

hamsam

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 30, 2018, 10:57:24 pm
Typical Anderson coached road team.

Pitiful from the Free Throw Line

Pitiful from the Three Point Line

FIRE Anderson.  7 years in and we aren't any better. We suck on the road with no sign of getting better.  There are still many beat downs left on road. There is no defending this coaches ability.

I'm getting really close to agreeing with the firing part... I just don't see any improvement as the seasons have progressed except maybe last year.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

RagingHawgOn

It is what it is. This is a typical MA team.

If we want to be stuck in mediocrity, keep his ass. We will win a few big games, feel good about the program, gain momentum, have a few sellouts then...........we lay a turd.  He will never get us where we rightfully should be, where we HAVE BEEN.

I'm sick of this sh!tshow.

Inhogswetrust

The bigger question is where is FCJ?

He's the first on here after a win but after a loss normally comes on here shouting  "haters".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

stan the man

His coaching competion in the SEC has passed him by. He'll never change how he coaches. If we are content on keeping him and based upon many on Hogville they are satisfied then the rest of us will have to be content to be a mediocre program

Dirty

Mike is not getting fired, but keep on wishing!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Dirty on January 31, 2018, 08:14:09 am

Definitely not this year.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Boardon Hamsay

How does anyone in their right mind actually expect more than 2 or 3 road wins a year?  I would argue the 6-3 road year was an outlier and the prevailing trends indicate 2 or 3 road wins a year are a fair expectation. Are we banking on the comparable uptick in recruting from the up cycle in in-state talent?  That's great and all until you notice the league as a whole appears to be benefiting from an up cycle as well.  Seems to me that the rational thought is our upcycle in our recruiting will probable be cancelled out by the strengthening of the league as a whole.

In stock market terms, what catalyst is there to expect more than a couple road wins a year?  What catalyst is there to expect more than an 8/9 type seed, round of 32 tourney exit most years? Hard to find one just as it's hard to be upset about another road loss.  I expect road losses in part because MA is not exactly going to draw up a play to eek out a last second road win. Look at the OSU win. Beard took the ball and pulled up for a shot that missed and Gafford happened to be there for the put back. Otherwise, no Hog was in position to try to extend the possession and nothing about that resembled a plan.  Just got a fortunate bounce on a disorganized, ad hoc play. Hard to expect much from more than what we've already seen without a massive overhaul. It simply is what it is. 
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 31, 2018, 08:15:30 am

Nope. I suspect MA will do just enough to stay around for as long as he wants to.  Won't have many/any horrible years but won't have many/any great (i.e. sweet 16 or better) years either.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChicoHog

Quote from: stan the man on January 31, 2018, 07:51:08 am
His coaching competion in the SEC has passed him by. He'll never change how he coaches. If we are content on keeping him and based upon many on Hogville they are satisfied then the rest of us will have to be content to be a mediocre program
John Nabors on SEC Country asked on his podcast a few days ago who in the SEC would we rather have as a coach?  Maybe 3 other guys?  I totally disagree with him.  I would take anyone but Bruce Pearl over Anderson.  Definitely Calipari, Barnes, White, Kennedy, Howland, both Martins, Fox, Johnson and probably Drew and Will Wade even though they are not very experienced.  Wade has been pretty impressive so far at LSU in his first year.  Drew not so much this year. 

riccoar

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 31, 2018, 08:15:30 am
If we fail to make the NCAAT, his seat will be very warm to start next season.

AirWarren

hobhog

Quote from: Dirty on January 31, 2018, 08:14:09 am

Explain why this is the case. Is it because we just care about football and not basketball anymore? SEC mentality for sure.

AirWarren

Quote from: hobhog on January 31, 2018, 01:32:36 pm
Explain why this is the case. Is it because we just care about football and not basketball anymore? SEC mentality for sure.

15-7

Coming off a big season last year.

Not a chance.

Plus...who the hell wants the next Dana Altman?

hobhog

Quote from: AP85 on January 31, 2018, 01:33:31 pm
15-7

Not a chance.

WHat if it ends with 18-19 wins and no marchmadness? The whole picture is pretty bleak.

AirWarren

Quote from: hobhog on January 31, 2018, 01:41:30 pm
WHat if it ends with 18-19 wins and no marchmadness? The whole picture is pretty bleak.

If it does so what. My life won't end.

hogsanity

15-7

Not a chance.

Yea, why would we want a coach that's been to the 3rd rnd or better in the last 5 ncaat's. A sweet 16 two 3rd rnds a elite 8 and a final 4.

Why would we want a coach that has been to the posts season every season since 97-98 ( either ncaat, nit or cbi )?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jim Harris

Quote from: tkclark on January 30, 2018, 11:38:05 pm

He was 6-3 on the road last year in the SEC. Boy, that's brutal.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

99toLife

15-7

Not a chance.

You can't be serious! If CMA had Dana's record we would be in Hogville Heaven!

Mr. Porkleone

Palm just said on radio for Razorbacks to feel good about NCAA they need to win 7 of last 9. Also a loss Sat to LSU on road would be really bad.

LumberBacks

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 31, 2018, 11:23:14 am
John Nabors on SEC Country asked on his podcast a few days ago who in the SEC would we rather have as a coach?  Maybe 3 other guys?  I totally disagree with him.  I would take anyone but Bruce Pearl over Anderson.  Definitely Calipari, Barnes, White, Kennedy, Howland, both Martins, Fox, Johnson and probably Drew and Will Wade even though they are not very experienced.  Wade has been pretty impressive so far at LSU in his first year.  Drew not so much this year.
Drew signed 3 of the top 64 players for '18.  'bout to turn that around.  Gave KY a run to OT on KY's floor last night. 

There are coaches in the SEC who I just can't stand (Cal, Pearl, Martin), but would learn to like them if they delivered W's for the Hogs.  I don't think much of Howland or Kennedy.  But Anderson is easily in the bottom 3 in the SEC.  Pearl is an NCAA ex-con.  And like most ex-cons, once one always one.  NCAA and IRS have already busted Pearsons but he keeps coaching b/c NCAA has no cajones.   When you turn a have-not into a top 10 team overnight ... dirty.  See Freeze.  Everyone knows and he doesn't care. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: LumberBacks on January 31, 2018, 03:49:26 pm
Drew signed 3 of the top 64 players for '18.  'bout to turn that around.  Gave KY a run to OT on KY's floor last night. 

There are coaches in the SEC who I just can't stand (Cal, Pearl, Martin), but would learn to like them if they delivered W's for the Hogs.  I don't think much of Howland or Kennedy.  But Anderson is easily in the bottom 3 in the SEC.  Pearl is an NCAA ex-con.  And like most ex-cons, once one always one.  NCAA and IRS have already busted Pearsons but he keeps coaching b/c NCAA has no cajones.   When you turn a have-not into a top 10 team overnight ... dirty.  See Freeze.  Everyone knows and he doesn't care. 
Pearl to me is the slimiest of them all.  Plus I hate the way his teams play.  Totally out of control.  4 guys standing around while one guy plays one on one and then they go for the offensive rebound (they are good at that).  Ugly basketball.  I never root for that guy.  He is so much a used car salesman or ambulance chasing lawyer in my book.

Razorpigg

Quote from: riccoar on January 31, 2018, 11:25:33 am
If we fail to make the NCAAT, his seat will be very warm to start next season.

Bull butter. You are talking out your backside....

longtimeHogfan

I've been a lukewarm fan of MA for the past couple of years.  Record on the road is dismal.  Seven years in with six seniors on the squad and we can't say for certain we're a lock for the tourney?   I think, and this is just my humble opinion, but I seriously wonder if perhaps this might have been his swan-song season had the Razorback Foundation not taken some pretty tough hits.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

texas tush hog

tkclark

Quote from: Jim Harris on January 31, 2018, 01:57:40 pm
He was 6-3 on the road last year in the SEC. Boy, that's brutal.

You stick with that argument.  Pick the one year that fits your point best.  How does this year look?  See we all can play that game.  Anderson wins at around 33% clip for all games not played in Arkansas.  How does that bode for ever having NCAA tourney success or even being a top 4 seed so we don't have a tough schedule the first weekend on the rare occasion we make the post-season?  Feel free to answer that.

userpick

15-7

Not a chance.

Our standards are so low that winning one game in the NCAAT is considered a big year?

Obviously if we make the dance this year you can't fire him, but if they miss the tourney how can you keep a guy who has publicly said this is his best team yet?

raz1965

Guys , recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, Mike has not recruited well enough to have a complete team on any given year to this point. In my opinion he has overachieved with the teams he has had at Arkansas, with the exception of this team which is likely about on pace of where the talent he has should be to this point. Too say Mike can't coach is silly, ask the dozens of coaches that have went down in defeat to his team's, that would be the expert opinions. Mike now is recruiting well, lets see what happens in the future when he has real talent inside an out. Look at Rick at Tennesee, he was fired at Texas because fans said he couldn't coach, you can not make the top 25 if you can't coach, Arkansas defeated Tennesee , I don't think you can beat a top 25 team if you can't coach. I fully understand the frustrations , however just a bit more patience could be the difference in having a great program an beginning another rebuild that may take a turn for the worst.  That my friends is the truth.  Players win games, this team may well overachieve once again with the lack of talent on hand in areas, which they did early on this year. I have hope an not because of who the coach is but because of what I think he can achieve with a complete team. Why Mike was slow to recruit well is a question, but I can assume it had something to do with the stigma of Razorback basketball's past 2 decades, which don't change suddenly regardless of what fans think should happen.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: raz1965 on January 31, 2018, 06:12:24 pm
Guys , recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, Mike has not recruited well enough to have a complete team on any given year to this point. In my opinion he has overachieved with the teams he has had at Arkansas, with the exception of this team which is likely about on pace of where the talent he has should be to this point. Too say Mike can't coach is silly, ask the dozens of coaches that have went down in defeat to his team's, that would be the expert opinions. Mike now is recruiting well, lets see what happens in the future when he has real talent inside an out. Look at Rick at Tennesee, he was fired at Texas because fans said he couldn't coach, you can not make the top 25 if you can't coach, Arkansas defeated Tennesee , I don't think you can beat a top 25 team if you can't coach. I fully understand the frustrations , however just a bit more patience could be the difference in having a great program an beginning another rebuild that may take a turn for the worst.  That my friends is the truth.  Players win games, this team may well overachieve once again with the lack of talent on hand in areas, which they did early on this year. I have hope an not because of who the coach is but because of what I think he can achieve with a complete team. Why Mike was slow to recruit well is a question, but I can assume it had something to do with the stigma of Razorback basketball's past 2 decades, which don't change suddenly regardless of what fans think should happen.

I managed to read this, but dude....how about a paragraph break or two, please! 

Setting that criticism aside, this post has some good content.  While I don't think it speaks well at all for MA that our two best players are JC transfers, it is worth considering that up until recently, our program was not on an even playing field recruiting wise.  He gets credit for identifying Macon and Barford and getting them in, but we have to do better at getting HS kids into the program.  I think we're closer to getting some top talent in now, and like it or not, MA isn't going anywhere unless he really blows it. 

He's got a challenge ahead next year, because while we'll have an influx of better ball handling, and hopefully, finally a TRUE point guard, we're going to be breaking in some new players that will have to score to make up for the loss of Barford and Macon.  IMO, no one on the team currently, is prepared to do that next season, so we better have some clutch Fr. coming in to pick up the slack. 

So...while I continue to hear that we will be improved next year with the players coming in, I'm far from convinced.  The year after next seems to be the target year if Gafford develops and stays that long, but I don't think next season will be anything special. 

No one really wants to concede it, but Nolan's teams were successful WHEN WE HAD BETTER PLAYERS.  Yes, they could play the press and helter skelter style and beat a few teams we probably shouldn't have, but we couldn't beat the good teams consistently until we had some of the best elite talent.  Until that point, a LOT of the same criticism of MA is going to be like a memorex copy of Nolan's. 

The challenge is...the "run them ragged, and go on spurts" approach is infinitely harder now with all the additional TV timeouts, reviews, and particularly changes in the rules.  REMEMBER....hand checking was a HUGE part of our defensive strategy, and if thise "cylinder" rule where you have to give guy space on the traps would have been in effect...it would have limited effectiveness too.  So...he has a stacked deck, and to be blunt, I don't think that style can win a NC again without a MASSIVE force like Corliss Williamson who can just take over games and create all sorts of problems for defenses.  We'll see....because I don't think Mike is going anywhere unless we aren't competitive at all, and we miss the NCAA tournament 3 years in a row.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hawgball40

Quote from: raz1965 on January 31, 2018, 06:12:24 pm
Pretty much where I'm at. he's a good enough coach for me to like him. but he recruits so poorly and his teams look so bad because of it, that i'm pissed off and don't think he'll ever make it here. Also to the dumbass who said he'd take Kennedy over Anderson LOL, what a dumbass.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 31, 2018, 08:55:48 pm
Pretty much where I'm at. he's a good enough coach for me to like him. but he recruits so poorly and his teams look so bad because of it, that i'm pissed off and don't think he'll ever make it here. Also to the dumbass who said he'd take Kennedy over Anderson LOL, what a dumbass.

If you believe the pundits, the recruiting is improving, and we're supposed to have some really talented teams in the next few seasons.  I will have seen enough for me to feel like we've seen Mike's best if they can't get anything like last year accomplished by the 2019-20 season.  I believe enough in continuity that even if I had a magic hammer and could make the decision myself, I wouldn't can him before that...unless we prove out to be non-competitive at all next year and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. 

Why?  Because...one simple reason.  I do NOT believe those who say it can't get worse.  It can.  Remember...this program still had a ton of pride and reputation when Stan Heath took over, and it didn't work.  Then Pelphrey came along, and I think the thought was...still a sleeping giant, just one bad coaching move.  Boom...another dud.   Enter the dark days.  I'm giving MA some credit for turning it around somewhat, and recruiting is improving. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 31, 2018, 02:55:52 pm
Palm just said on radio for Razorbacks to feel good about NCAA they need to win 7 of last 9. Also a loss Sat to LSU on road would be really bad.

He's clueless

3of5-2

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 10:12:16 pm
He's clueless

Actually he said to feel really comfortable gong into the SECT they would need to go 7-2. He went on to say they may very well get in at 9-9 in the sec, so much depends on who they beat who they lose to and what other teams do.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jim Harris

Quote from: tkclark on January 31, 2018, 05:48:55 pm
You stick with that argument.  Pick the one year that fits your point best.  How does this year look?  See we all can play that game.  Anderson wins at around 33% clip for all games not played in Arkansas.  How does that bode for ever having NCAA tourney success or even being a top 4 seed so we don't have a tough schedule the first weekend on the rare occasion we make the post-season?  Feel free to answer that.

The point is, you said "Go back and look at his road record every year he has been here.  Brutal." Which obviously is bull. Yes, while he was building to both Madden and Harris' senior year rebuilding after Portis and Qualls left early, they struggled to win on the road. So did Pelphrey, so did Heath. So do most teams that are mediocre. The two teams Mike has had here that advanced to the NCAA Tournament both went 6-3 on the road. So, in this case, I'll pick TWO years that fit my argument, the two that were NCAA Tournament teams.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on January 31, 2018, 10:44:28 pm
Actually he said to feel really comfortable gong into the SECT they would need to go 7-2. He went on to say they may very well get in at 9-9 in the sec, so much depends on who they beat who they lose to and what other teams do.

So many variables.  As Houston and Oklahoma do well, it helps us.  There's no way we should lose to a depleted LSU team Saturday.  If we lose that...we'll have a MOUNTAIN to climb with the upcoming schedule. 

With the way it lines up, winning all of our remaining home games will be challenging, because SC is no slouch, TAMU may find their stride, and KY is athletic and will match up well with us with our absent front court.  I think it's doubtful we will "hold serve" at home, so we will have to win a few games on the road or I fear we will be on the outside looking in.  Ole Miss, Bama, and Mizzou are not easy outs, and really...there aren't any "easy outs" in the SEC this season.  Even Vandy may give us fits, because they can typically shoot the 3, and we can't defend that worth a poop. 

I could foresee a complete meltdown coming after the LSU and Vandy games.  It can go one of two ways.  We can use those games against opponents we should beat handily to get back to playing sound basketball and defending tenaciously....or they will play lazy and "just well enough to win," and it will just mean a bigger slap in the face when SC comes in not messing around and manhandles us.  With this team...who knows?   ::)

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 01, 2018, 10:37:27 am
So many variables.  As Houston and Oklahoma do well, it helps us.  There's no way we should lose to a depleted LSU team Saturday.  If we lose that...we'll have a MOUNTAIN to climb with the upcoming schedule. 

With the way it lines up, winning all of our remaining home games will be challenging, because SC is no slouch, TAMU may find their stride, and KY is athletic and will match up well with us with our absent front court.  I think it's doubtful we will "hold serve" at home, so we will have to win a few games on the road or I fear we will be on the outside looking in.  Ole Miss, Bama, and Mizzou are not easy outs, and really...there aren't any "easy outs" in the SEC this season.  Even Vandy may give us fits, because they can typically shoot the 3, and we can't defend that worth a poop. 

I could foresee a complete meltdown coming after the LSU and Vandy games.  It can go one of two ways.  We can use those games against opponents we should beat handily to get back to playing sound basketball and defending tenaciously....or they will play lazy and "just well enough to win," and it will just mean a bigger slap in the face when SC comes in not messing around and manhandles us.  With this team...who knows?   ::)

The one thing I keep looking at is how well the Hogs had to play to win the 4 sec games they have won so far, yet only won them by 11 pts total. In 3 of those games they shot the ball very well, far better than their season percentages, yet had to survive last second endings to win.

If they lose to LSU, a lsu team that was not that good when they ran the Hogs out of BWA, and has since lost players, it definitely does not bode well. Palm said they have to beat the teams in the sec that are not likely going to the ncaat and lsu is one of those.

Kevin

did lsu lose their point guard?

if not, it will be tough for the hogs
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

Our 6-3 road records happened in seasons when the conference as a whole saw an abnormal amount of road wins in conference. 

This season through the first half, it's back to normal in the conference:
AU 4-1   
FLORIDA 3-2
TENN 2-2
UK   2-2
MIZZOU 2-3   
SC    2-2   
LSU   2-3   
BAMA 1-3   
UGA   1-3
MSU   1-4   
HOGS 1-4   
OM   0-4   
A&M    0-4   
VANDY 0-5   

21-42   33.3%

AU's 4-1 stands out so far whereas it wouldn't so much if the conference teams as a whole had a road win% of 50%+. 

Positive for us is we are one of the 7 who has only 4 road games left and 5 home games in the back half of the schedule.  LSU has lost 5 of their last 6 and they are 1-3 in SEC home games. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on February 01, 2018, 10:41:15 am
The one thing I keep looking at is how well the Hogs had to play to win the 4 sec games they have won so far, yet only won them by 11 pts total. In 3 of those games they shot the ball very well, far better than their season percentages, yet had to survive last second endings to win.

If they lose to LSU, a lsu team that was not that good when they ran the Hogs out of BWA, and has since lost players, it definitely does not bode well. Palm said they have to beat the teams in the sec that are not likely going to the ncaat and lsu is one of those.

Yeah, and we struggle mightily with teams that have a true PG, which makes explaining the OU win difficult, when we saw what LSU's PG did to us in BWA. 

As unpopular as it was, early on, several posters identified the fact that as Macon and Barford go on the offensive end, so goes the Hog team.  That's a lot to ask for us for them to be hot every night to reach any level of consistency. 

As fans, we've analyzed MA's teams ad nauseum.  We get frustrated, because we see what appears to be the same reasons for losing over, and over again.  But...by contrast, when we win, we see the same reasons for winning, which are the nights we play solid defense, and make shots from the 3.  It helps a lot when the opponents misses them as well.  Right now with virtually no post game, it's difficult to see us finishing that well, and certainly not doing great in the NCAA tournament where we KNOW there will be solid point guards awaiting. 

We just can't seem to get all of the pieces of the puzzle on campus at the same time.  Adding a Portis at the 4 to complement Gafford, and a true PG like Beck to this team...and we would look completely different.  Right now...defenses don't really have to play that honest, and when we face teams with a strong center and/or 4, and a PG...we don't have answers.     

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 01, 2018, 11:11:49 am
Our 6-3 road records happened in seasons when the conference as a whole saw an abnormal amount of road wins in conference. 

This season through the first half, it's back to normal in the conference:
AU 4-1   
FLORIDA 3-2
TENN 2-2
UK   2-2
MIZZOU 2-3   
SC    2-2   
LSU   2-3   
BAMA 1-3   
UGA   1-3
MSU   1-4   
HOGS 1-4   
OM   0-4   
A&M    0-4   
VANDY 0-5   

21-42   33.3%

AU's 4-1 stands out so far whereas it wouldn't so much if the conference teams as a whole had a road win% of 50%+. 

Positive for us is we are one of the 7 who has only 4 road games left and 5 home games in the back half of the schedule.  LSU has lost 5 of their last 6 and they are 1-3 in SEC home games.

The amount of road and home games looks good on paper, but when you look WHO we play at home...it's kinda scary.  Auburn...see above, SC...physical, tough out for us, and KY are three of the five.  I'll be stunned if we pull it together enough to win all three. 

I think it could very easily come down to us managing to beat Auburn with how it lays out with the road and home schedule.  It could make up for a stumble along the way that we otherwise might not be able to endure, and still get in.  We'll see...I just don't see them playing with the energy and desire to win enough with the caliber of teams we face ahead.  LSU and Vandy are really the only two that we SHOULD win, and the rest are going to be battles.  Maybe sneak a road win against Ole Miss or Bama...but man, tough row to hoe.     

Cargill A. BullHog

Mike will be fine next year.  This year is just tough becuase there's a lot of selfishness on the floor.  Tough to get guys who are auditioning for their jobs to work together instead of working for themselves.  Next years younger team should be much better.
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

99toLife

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 01, 2018, 11:26:57 am
Mike will be fine next year.  This year is just tough becuase there's a lot of selfishness on the floor. Tough to get guys who are auditioning for their jobs to work together instead of working for themselves.  Next years younger team should be much better.

That's why Kentucky and Kansas struggle from time to time, just at a higher level.