Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harbaugh on Cowherd

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, July 01, 2015, 09:58:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Did anyone hear the brutal interview Cowherd had with Jim Harbaugh this morning?  Harbaugh was a total Ahole, gave all 1 word answers.  Cowherd said he felt like the B10 was a buy meaning on the upswing, and Harbaugh got offended thinking he meant weak and had to have Collin explain it.  It's like if you don't feel like talking don't go on the show.  Collin wasn't being a smart a** or trying to provoke him just doing a straight interview.  Great opportunity to sell Michigan and himself and Harbaugh blew it.  Once he was off Collin said if I'm a kid and I'm listening to this or Urban Meyer I'm going to Ohio State.  He talked about other coaches he has had on and basically said even Nick Saban was better.  Collin just said it's the worst interview he has ever done and didn't want to put in on the podcast but overwhelming twitter response include Michigan people said put it on.  I give him 4 years tops at Michigan.

I'm so glad we have Bielema. He is a great interview and the media for the most part like him.  Nothing bad comes from coming off as a good, likable yet knowledgeable guy.  He's funny a bit self deprecating but also sincere and smart. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

WardamnHOGGLE

I didn't.  I find Cowherd hard to listen to.  Harbaugh does come across as a jerk though.
I, too, am glad we have CBB.

The Kig

Two douches in the same place... Must smell rosy.
Poker Porker

azhog10

That was absolutely brutal! I do understand the trouble with the "buy" "bye" question. I could see where he was confused by the question. That said he was extremely short and almost seemed like he was still in bed and half asleep. No personalilty whatsoever.

SONofHAM

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 01, 2015, 09:58:49 am
Did anyone hear the brutal interview Cowherd had with Jim Harbaugh this morning?  Harbaugh was a total Ahole, gave all 1 word answers.  Cowherd said he felt like the B10 was a buy meaning on the upswing, and Harbaugh got offended thinking he meant weak and had to have Collin explain it.  It's like if you don't feel like talking don't go on the show.  Collin wasn't being a smart a** or trying to provoke him just doing a straight interview.  Great opportunity to sell Michigan and himself and Harbaugh blew it.  Once he was off Collin said if I'm a kid and I'm listening to this or Urban Meyer I'm going to Ohio State.  He talked about other coaches he has had on and basically said even Nick Saban was better.  Collin just said it's the worst interview he has ever done and didn't want to put in on the podcast but overwhelming twitter response include Michigan people said put it on.  I give him 4 years tops at Michigan.

I'm so glad we have Bielema. He is a great interview and the media for the most part like him.  Nothing bad comes from coming off as a good, likable yet knowledgeable guy.  He's funny a bit self deprecating but also sincere and smart. 
Yep I heard it.  As it was happening I kept think how bad of an interview it was.  I respect Colin for ending it.  He told Harbaugh he wasn't giving him anything to work with and said goodbye. 

I love that we have what is basically the opposite of that in Bielema.  Harbaugh either doesn't quite get the recruiting aspect or thinks he's above it.  Selling your program to the media and listening recruits is part of the battle...especially for a struggling program like UM. 
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Bacon_Bitz

Harbaugh seems like a narcissist with antisocial personality disorder. 

Razordiddy

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on July 01, 2015, 10:30:27 am

Hmmm...that should sound familiar to Hog fans.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: azhog10 on July 01, 2015, 10:15:01 am
That was absolutely brutal! I do understand the trouble with the "buy" "bye" question. I could see where he was confused by the question. That said he was extremely short and almost seemed like he was still in bed and half asleep. No personalilty whatsoever.

He should fit right in in the Midwest.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogcard1964

He's always been an a-hole.

Biggus Piggus

Preparing interview subjects to go on air is a good idea. Don't surprise them with oddly worded questions, or you will get unnecessary confusion. Have to wonder, though, where Harbaugh's head is at. He sounds like a guy in a situation he does not want to be in. The way he took the Michigan job -- it was as though he was under duress. Unwilling to humiliate his alma mater by turning down a ridiculous salary offer, which inherently would make Michigan look bad. Harbaugh wanted to stay on the West Coast for his family. Probably regrets the decision.
[CENSORED]!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 01, 2015, 10:41:19 am
Preparing interview subjects to go on air is a good idea. Don't surprise them with oddly worded questions, or you will get unnecessary confusion. Have to wonder, though, where Harbaugh's head is at. He sounds like a guy in a situation he does not want to be in. The way he took the Michigan job -- it was as though he was under duress. Unwilling to humiliate his alma mater by turning down a ridiculous salary offer, which inherently would make Michigan look bad. Harbaugh wanted to stay on the West Coast for his family. Probably regrets the decision.

I think it was going to be easier for him to go from NFL to College then back to NFL compared to leaving San Fran for another NFL team.

Also his college major college coaching experience was Stanford.  Although he did very well there and left them in very good shape the pressure/demands/expectations at Michigan are much different than Stanford.  Heck even recruiting.  Even though he recruited nationally the pool of players/families you are drawing from is much different
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hoggish1

Harbaugh plays the 'indifference card' (at best) when an interviewer asks him a question he doesn't like, thinks is below him or that JH feels is stupid.

I'm sure he has a lot of disdain for Colin to begin with and so he played it the way he did. He's a "Michigan Man..."

TDHawgs

Although I'm not a huge Cowherd fan.. geezz Harbaugh is a total jerk!

Mike Irwin

Most fans I know could not care less if a coach or player is rude or uncooperative with the media. The media is not exactly held in high esteem these days. However, if Harbaugh didn't have anything to say he should have declined the interview.

On the other hand Cowherd made too much out of it. Just because a coach acts like a butt in an interview with you doesn't mean athletes shouldn't play for him.

If Harbaugh had done that to me my only reaction would be, he clearly doesn't like to do live radio so I'm not interviewing him again. I wouldn't announce it. I would just cross him off the list of coaches I had live on the show.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 01, 2015, 12:33:26 pm
Most fans I know could not care less if a coach or player is rude or uncooperative with the media. The media is not exactly held in high esteem these days. However, if Harbaugh didn't have anything to say he should have declined the interview.

On the other hand Cowherd made too much out of it. Just because a coach acts like a butt in an interview with you doesn't mean athletes shouldn't play for him.

If Harbaugh had done that to me my only reaction would be, he clearly doesn't like to do live radio so I'm not interviewing him again. I wouldn't announce it. I would just cross him off the list of coaches I had live on the show.

+1000

Cowherd should have ended the interview after the 2nd answer.

TDHawgs

Yeah I agree, that would have been the right way to do things, I commend you for that. The only problem was it was Cowherd doing the interview and he's pretty much a jerk as well. lol

Mike Irwin

I'm pretty certain the two never talked before the interview. Somebody on Cowherd's staff calls Michigan's SID who talks to Harbaugh's secretary and at some point Harbaugh agrees to it.

If the two had actually spoken beforehand Harbaugh could have asked, What do you want to talk about?

Cowherd tells him and Harbugh says, Nah, that sounds boring to me.

Problem solved.

But of course everybody will be talking about this today and debating whether Harbaugh is a jerk, Cowherd is a jerk or they both are jerks. It's something to talk about in the dog days of summer and something that announcers will bring up when they get bored during Michigan telecasts this coming season.

Razor6

I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Razor6

Well either way... The video is now an artifact, and it can be spun either way.

To each their own.

1st year at a top tier college... you gotta play the game.  Even if a former NFL coach.
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

RyeHogFan

Quote from: The Kig on July 01, 2015, 10:12:27 am
Two douches in the same place... Must smell rosy.

It was actually strawberry scented

Hoggish1

JH has never been a good interview in all the years I've seen him come before a mic. 

Upon further review, after listening to the link provided, I think Cowherd got what JH thought he deserved, especially when the curmudgeon-like JH was asked an ambiguous question like "Michigan feeling like a bye/buy to me...

JH, not wanting to do CC's work for him, and being the arrogant "Michigan Man," that he is, fell right into CC's trap.

As usual, Colin Cowherd, stirred the pot for ESPiN's and his ratings.  In effect, during the slowest part of the summer, Cowherd got the Michigan/OSU rivalry going. 

Swine-as-wine

Harbaugh has been on Cowturd's "spitlist" for a while now, and he loves, Loves, LOVES
trying to put the smackdown on someone he doesn't care for. That being said, when he
actually likes someone, he has the ability to insert his entire cranium into the rectum
of the interviewee, so as to make sure his nose gets the right shade of brown on it.

I'm not necessarily a Harbaugh fan, but Cowherd is about nothing but the money.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Razor6 on July 01, 2015, 12:55:03 pm
Thank you! 

Not good for his recruiting!

Go Hogs!

That was kind of my thought. Probably won't hurt recruiting but it also didn't add any value to UofM. I get that Harbaugh is an intense guy but he was given a couple chances to give Cowherd his "Michigan pitch" and he had nothing. I wouldn't have expected him to bring it like an Ann Arbor Chamber of Commerce president but he had nothing to say. It was a painfully funny listen and Cowherd cut both of their losses by ending it.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Cinco de Hogo

Seem people just can't figure out why people they perceive as jerks win the most.  Who is the last truly well liked and respected coach to win a NC.

A very few like Saban, a very few think he's not a jerk, a lot respect him.  But only because he has four rings.

Spurrier is a jerk and alway has something he can say to get a dig in at somebody.

Who has any respect for Urban once you see what he allows players in his program to do.

Chees-it...nuff said!

Come on guys, who's not a jerk?

So whether or not Bielema is a jerk how does that help his odds?  He can get all the uncommon three star men he wants but does thst trump the jerks with four and five star players that also happen to be great coaches.

And there is no reason at this point to think Harbaugh is anything but a great coach.

I suspect UM will be on the rise very quickly.

razorbacker3

It was a horrible interview by Cowherd. His questions were stupid, and he spent way too much asking them because he would try to explain his question and get away from the subject. The last couple of minutes , CC yapped so much that Harbaugh couldn't even answer.

hogcard1964

I just listened to it again and I thought Cowherd came off as the bigger dousche nozzle.

bennyl08

Harbaugh took two teams that before nobody even gave a thought to and made then into perennial contenders. I don't think an interview with Cowherd is going to hurt his recruiting at all. This certainly didn't improve it, but Michigan recruits pretty well even in down years.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: razorbacker3 on July 01, 2015, 02:24:56 pm
It was a horrible interview by Cowherd. His questions were stupid, and he spent way too much asking them because he would try to explain his question and get away from the subject. The last couple of minutes , CC yapped so much that Harbaugh couldn't even answer.

This is chronic in the media. Too many people want to hear themselves talk instead of asking a question and getting out of the way.
[CENSORED]!

Razorback_Mack

Harbaugh is always an awkward interview.

majestic

CC can be abrasive, for sure. I didn't hear anything in that interview that made me understand why Harbaugh acted like such a petulant [CENSORED], though. He was thrown some softballs and didn't even swing.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Porked Tongue

It's a blown opportunity for JH.

Listen next time you have a chance and see how coaches that promote themselves, school and team will take a terse question and expand it to a promotional interview.

This was set up to do so.  Listen to the words.  CC wanted  JH to talk about how he has adjusted and taken the job to his style.

There were plenty of opportunities for JH to give some substance.  There was no choice but to give him softballs as it went along.

The bye/buy thing came from JH being detached from the opening question.  Even when he got the difference, he didn't care much.

It was interesting.  It won't be the last.

You can compare him to CBP a bit except BP knew the media was of some value even if it was Fayetteville, AR.    I just see JH as a poor man's Belicheck.

twistitup

JH didn't help himself or his program with that interview. He should have refused the interview if he wasn't in the mood. I'm betting the AD is scratching his head on dealing with this one. He hired a A Hole Meechigan man and you get what you paid for.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

mhsbc59

To me JH did not want to be there and CC was giving him every opprotuninity to sell himself, his school, his conference.  JH was like i work hard coaching is coaching, it takes to to have a conversation and JH was having non of it.  JH would not elaborate or give anymore information, or not even answer the question.  Then JH was like why you just keep asking me questions.   I know most don't like CC but i do because of all the talking heads he is the only one that admits ESPN panders to the big markets and the big teams because that's what gets them paid. I respect his honesty
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

WilsonHog

Tim Brando probably got it pretty close to accurate on Twitter:

"@TimBrando: Harbaugh didn't feel the need nor did he care to manipulate the Forum to his benefit. Truth be known, He probably simply didn't care."

BPsTheMan

Not sure what any of you are talking about.

Harbaugh was fine, he was friendly, he was joking a bit, laid back a bit, okay, and Cowherd seems like he got his feelings hurt after throwing bi-polar questions.

Cowherd is a pretentious dick.

King TUSKankahamun

JH sounded just like I do when I'm trying to read hogville and talk to my girlfriend at the same time.
Self proclaimed dead King of Hogville

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: mhsbc59 on July 01, 2015, 05:16:53 pm
To me JH did not want to be there and CC was giving him every opprotuninity to sell himself, his school, his conference.  JH was like i work hard coaching is coaching, it takes to to have a conversation and JH was having non of it.  JH would not elaborate or give anymore information, or not even answer the question.  Then JH was like why you just keep asking me questions.   I know most don't like CC but i do because of all the talking heads he is the only one that admits ESPN panders to the big markets and the big teams because that's what gets them paid. I respect his honesty

This.   I don't always agree with CC, but he does bring a little more actual intelligence to the show even when he gets it wrong.   Occasionally, he can make me rethink my position or make me change my mind.

I don't think many other talk show guys have enough intellect and savvy to challenge a sports fan's position into doing that.

Like CC or not, he does tend to tell it like he "thinks" it is without always protecting the big boys.   The others, just play stupid ego games and giggle like pre-pubescent school girls at their own antics.  They then cram a smidgeon of something resembling sports in between their panties being changed (and that's you, Mike & Mike as the world's worst at this).
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: SONofHAM on July 01, 2015, 10:16:42 am
Yep I heard it.  As it was happening I kept think how bad of an interview it was.  I respect Colin for ending it.  He told Harbaugh he wasn't giving him anything to work with and said goodbye. 

I love that we have what is basically the opposite of that in Bielema.  Harbaugh either doesn't quite get the recruiting aspect or thinks he's above it.  Selling your program to the media and listening recruits is part of the battle...especially for a struggling program like UM.

Yeah I'm sure a lot of recruits listen to Colin Cowherd /s

This will only be a story for people over the age of 35

majestic

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on July 01, 2015, 05:58:44 pm

It's a good thing those parents are all under 35.

twistitup

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on July 01, 2015, 05:58:44 pm

The parents of those recruits do listen......would you want your kid playing for that a hole? What if the parents scheduled a meeting and were treated with the same attitude he had today in the interview?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Sivad

That interview sure makes you appreciate Coach Bielema's willingness and ability to turn every public appearance into a positive advertisement for the Hogs and his program.

Ugly Uncle

JH cared enough to tweet about CC calling the interview a clunker.

This from JH:
In my experience of participating in interviews, I've found it takes 2 to produce a clunker! I'll take 50% responsibility 4 this clunker.

Cowherd gave him every opportunity to have a good interview.  It sucked and I thought it was funny that Cowherd pulled the plug.

I have been a big fan of JH, but man, he makes it hard to like him.  I think I'm out on him...until he plays Urban.
Retired Radio Host

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on July 01, 2015, 10:30:27 am

As opposed to a narcissist with an overly social personality disorder?

Hog N Bama

End result being.....who wants to be a part of his program?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

July 01, 2015, 06:54:58 pm #45 Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:09:07 pm by SooiecidetillNuttgone
Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 01, 2015, 05:43:54 pm
Not sure what any of you are talking about.

Harbaugh was fine, he was friendly, he was joking a bit, laid back a bit, okay, and Cowherd seems like he got his feelings hurt after throwing bi-polar questions.

Cowherd is a pretentious dick.

I'm not a courthouse stenogapher.   This is close if not accurate, and I am certainly not trying to mislead.
Questions:

1.   "When AREN'T you an intense guy?"

JH:  "Uhhhhh.......I don't know.  Maybe you could ask my wife."

2.   "You go/get to Michigan.   You have a notepad of things you want to do.   What was the first thing you changed at UM?"

<<Fumbled around a lot.>>

JH:  "We, uhm altered some things.  Not sure we changed anything exactly, just went to meetings.  Talked.  Recruited.  Recruited players already on the roster.  One conversation at a time.   That's how you get to know people."

3.  "You're very much into the community.  You've been involved in other communities but at UM, especially with your history there, you seem all in."

JH:  "Yeah.   I'd agree.  Can't disagree with that."

4.  "I didn't think you'd go to UM.   What was the day like that you decided?"

JH:  "I don't know if there was a day, place, or time.  I just did what I felt in my heart.  I love UM.  I love football.  I love coaching football.   I feel blessed.  I have an attitude, (of) gratitude......That I am able to be a part of this game, and a part of this university."

5.  "What are your realistic expectations?"

JH:  "Realistic expectations are that we'll be better today than yesterday.  Be better tomorrow than today.  That's our plan for success.   So simple it might just work."

6.  "College coaches, NFL coaches, I don't know the difference hours-wise.  Is your day that much different college to pro?"

JH:  "Yeah.  Well.  I don't know how much different.  There's more similarities than there are differences, actually Colin."

Follow-Up:  "Well like how?  You basically come in early and leave late.  It's...

(Interrupted with a genuine chuckle from JH)
JH:  "Yeah, that'd be one similarity.  Coaching football.   Building a team.   More similarities than differences I would say."

7.  "Future of the Big 10.   You're at UM.  Urban Meyer's at Ohio State.   James Franklin.  I look at these coaches and say, elite recruiters.  Elite coaches.   I said this yesterday.  The Big 10 feels like it's a buy for me.  Do you have a sense of this and a feel for the conference overall?"

JH:  "A bye?  What do you mean?"

<<Back and forth a little with explanation and question.>>

JH:  "Oh.  A buy."
CC:  "It feels that way to me.  Does it to you?"
JH:  "It feels very competitive to me.  At the highest level of college football."

8.  "Season opener Sep 8 at Utah.   Coach, when do you put in the game plan?  How does it work?"

JH:  "It's a process.  It's been going on for months and it will continue over the next two months."

9.  "You're not a rearview mirror guy.  Just kinda forge your way...Go.  Get stuff...."

JH:  "It feels like one of those...you ask....like 50 questions...."

CC:  "Well, you're not giving me a ton to work with, and I'm just trying to find out a little about Jim Harbaugh the human being."
JH:  "Ok."
CC:  "I just want to find out about.....I'm a player right now, and I want to play for a bunch of schools, and I want to play for JH.  I want to play for Jim."

<<Moderate chit chat back and forth....Nothing provocative other than CC trying to convince JH to open up and give him some answers worth working with.>>
<<Awkward silence.>
<<CC gives up.>>

CC:  "This seems awfully difficult for you.  I love you to death, but this seems....This is going nowhere, and I love you.  I'm a huge Harbaugh fan."
JH:  "What can I do to make this better?"
CC:  "I'm just asking open ended questions, and you don't have much to say.  I just want you to sell your program.  That's why I bring Urban on, and Steve Sark.  I love you guys.  I want you to sell your program."
<<CC waits for a response.  Awkward silence.>>

CC:  "<<Stammering noises of frustration.>>  Listen, I love ya, this is not working.  <<Farewell tone initiated here.>>  I appreciate you stopping by, Jim Harbaugh." 

"I've been at this for over 10 years folks, and that was a clunker.  Not much I could do about it."

CC:  <<Gives some flattering-type excuses about how JH is an intense guy, he's a guy he loves, etc.>>  "Urban, Saban, Sark, Stoops, these guys come onto the show and know how to sell their program.  They are tremendous interviews.  JH is an intense guy.  I've been doing this sort of thing for 25 years.  This was a clunker."

For you to say that CC was a genitalia part makes me really question your agenda.  The above is almost verbatim except where I paraphrased or gave explanation rather than an exact recounting.

For those wondering about anything said between the last part of JH's responses to CC's next question.  Don't wonder.  There's nothing there.  The back and forth was that bare and uninteresting.  I tried to get everything pertinent and then some.

You man....Wow.  <<Chuckles of complete derision.>>
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

BPsTheMan

You're Jim Harbaugh, and Ichabod Crane "wants you to sell your program."

Really?

Cowherd was choking on his own panties. Harbaugh wanted to be somewhere else, for good reason. He didn't feel like being interviewed by a hack.

majestic

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 01, 2015, 07:00:37 pm

Really?

Cowherd was choking on his own panties. Harbaugh wanted to be somewhere else, for good reason. He didn't feel like being interviewed by a hack.
Then why did he take the interview?

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 01, 2015, 07:00:37 pm

Really?

Your work here has really fallen off.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on July 01, 2015, 06:40:51 pm

I have been a big fan of JH, but man, he makes it hard to like him.  I think I'm out on him...until he plays Urban.

Yep. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15