Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I know good and well I'm going to regret this...

Started by Overtheroadtruckdriver, May 08, 2014, 07:51:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Overtheroadtruckdriver

May 08, 2014, 07:51:42 pm Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:19:56 pm by Notshavin
Trying to book a trip to Hawaii for late July.  Torn between Maui and kaanapali shores, which looks fantastic and has condos to accommodate my brood, or Waikiki, where most hotels are not right on the beach and condos are all but non existent...would have to spring for three hotel rooms.

I hate to even ask if anyone knows anything about either place.  I don't know nothing about neither one because I am a hillbilly who hasn't been nowhere in my life. 

BPsTheMan

just find a place with good rental prices on bass boats and good BBQ

Dr. Starcs

PorkSoda

Just don't come to the big island.  we don't need this place poluted with methane gas considering we already have an active volcano
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

I hear molokai is nice this time of year.  you can even tour the leper colonies
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 08, 2014, 08:33:36 pm
I hear molokai is nice this time of year.  you can even tour the leper colonies
Odell would blend right in, considering his missing appendages.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Just what the hell is wrong with a vacation in Mena?
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Odell might want to learn how to talk dirty in Hawaiian, so he can impress the chicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siuxtvEndLE
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

snoblind

kaanapali shores, of course.  I figured you of all people would know that Sonny opened another barbecue joint there.

Rev. Jerry Falwell

Hawaiian currency is tricky to learn.....they can't seem to make a decision over there...hell, aloha means hey and adios....now how the hell you gonna tell which direction you're headed with words like that?

Rev
Goats are handy...milk, cheese, mower, fertilizer, sex toy, BBQ.  They're like the swiss army knife of animals.......you can quote me on this....

DLUXHOG

Kanapali...., or for a real treat hit up Kuaui....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

sowmonella

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 09, 2014, 11:34:46 am
Kanapali...., or for a real treat hit up Kuaui....

Kuaui gets my vote as well. I hope you don't leave a ring around the beach.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Rev. Jerry Falwell

Quote from: sowmonella on May 09, 2014, 01:28:03 pm
Kuaui gets my vote as well. I hope you don't leave a ring around the beach.

stfu

No Offense

REv
Goats are handy...milk, cheese, mower, fertilizer, sex toy, BBQ.  They're like the swiss army knife of animals.......you can quote me on this....

BallHog1

Lots of Asians there, and that's fine, just saying they hunt whales...so watch yourself if you get in the water. Last thing you and Odell need is an accidental harpoon stuck in one of you.

TeufelHog

Go in October NOT July (not as hot/humid).  Weather is better, not as many people/tourists and the rates are better.  Much more enjoyable!

PorkSoda

Quote from: TeufelHog on May 09, 2014, 09:37:11 pm
Go in October NOT July (not as hot/humid).  Weather is better, not as many people/tourists and the rates are better.  Much more enjoyable!
wrong.  aug-oct is one of the hottest times of year out here. 

DLUXHOG

Best time to go to Maui is December thru February.   Whales come into Lahaina bay to mate........    Like seeing semi trucks in the water.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

sowmonella

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 10, 2014, 03:01:34 pm
Best time to go to Maui is December thru February.   Whales come into Lahaina bay to mate........    Like seeing semi trucks in the water.......

I've seen some women in the gulf that look like semi trucks.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

TeufelHog

Been there three times all in (October) and the weather was great.  Mid-80s and no huge crowds of tourists.  Was fantastic!  Lower airline and accommodation fees.

"Boar"

Go in Feb and ride the humpbacks...rent a convertible ride around in circles. Don't step on the little Japanese people.

Boog41

Honolulu is just aother big city. Go to Maui if you are choosing just between the two. I have been to both multiple times and it's a no-brainer.....IMHO

I have made several trips where I split time between Kauai and Maui.... four nights on each....even did six nights on each once... That might be a consideration as well.

redbarn

June 29, 2015, 09:03:38 am #21 Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:17:51 am by redbarn
.nm
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

BR

Hey Brudda, you got any of da kine?  You need some of da kine??? 

I lived on Oahu for 4 years in the 80's.... Kauai is awesome, Maui is expensive, Big Island is really nice, The Kaneohe Bay side of Oahu is pretty nice... Turtle Bay Hilton on North Shore is nice, downtown Honolulu the Hilton Hawaiian Village is really nice... Right on the Beach...     I always use Trip Advisor to sort things out on our trips...     Good Luck and have a great time...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

Basics

lua – bathroom. After flying for hours over the Pacific Ocean, one of your first stops will proably be the lua. Kane is for the men and wahine is for the ladies.

howzit – the all around Hawaiian-style greeting asking in easy going short form, "How is everything going?"

shaka – the universal hand gesture of Hawaii that can be used as a form of thanks, a greeting, or a good bye.

haole – a white person but not necessarily derogatory or demeaning, just a fact

da kine – the ultimate catch phrase that can mean just about anything. A smart haole coworker told me "da kine" is an idiomatic expression.

talk story – to chat, chew the fat, shoot the breeze, converse

brah – Hawaii's variation of bro/brother and the informal, local-style way of calling someone. A typical Hawaii welcome, "Howzit, brah!" But tourists should not say brah since it just doesn't sound right. "Brah" is not the women's undergarment that Victoria's Secret will soon be supporting the sun-kissed bossoms of the wahine of Hawaii
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"