Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mallett

Started by Dmacattack, August 04, 2017, 09:28:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacons Rebellion

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-marty-mornhinweg-ravens-have-yet-to-craft-plan-for-joe-flaccos-return-20170804-story.html

Flacco's backup Ryan Mallett regressed from Thursday's practice, throwing a screen pass that was intercepted by defensive tackle Carl Davis on Friday. Mallett also overthrew tight end Ryan Malleck and wide receiver Jeremy Maclin and failed to spot tight end Benjamin Watson wide open in the end zone during a red zone exercise before finding Watson later in that same drill.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 05, 2017, 10:08:36 pm
Disney's agenda is money.  They happen to believe liberal inclusiveness is the best method to money.

Connect the dots,

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 06, 2017, 04:55:51 am
Both. Their fiscal stance IS to take a political stance. The next generation isn't watching sports (in general) and isn't signing up for cable. That's the future market they have to stroke. It's the same market that Disney has to cultivate. Thirty year olds are the demographic that buys princess movie DVDs and clothes and movie tickets -- aging baby boomers do not except for the grand kids (and with the 30 year olds' permission). Disney and ESPN don't have political beliefs. They have political stances that they take to drive profit.

Short term, the media will all try to stir up the Kaepernick angle, but most of them aren't thinking about more than generating ad clicks. Disney is the long term planner.

It's not even a conspiracy theory. It's just business.

You pretty much have the whole picture.  Been a lot of change at ESPN since Disney took over.

bennyl08

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 06, 2017, 02:28:08 am
Kansas City Chiefs of Kansas City, Missouri

Yes. Pretty well known they are a missouri team officially.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 05, 2017, 09:53:46 pm
Romo could have still retired if Jerry had released him.  Every report at the time said Jerry and Tony had agreed the Cowboys would cut him.  Every report indicated Romo wanted to play and that Houston was especially attractive because it was right down the road from his home.

Then, Houston traded Osweiler...leaving them without a starting QB and opening a spot for Tony.  Jerry saw that and suddenly decided there would be no release.  He was going to work a trade for Romo.

You don't have to be the Amazing Kreskin to see what really happened.  Jerry didn't want Romo, who according to media reports looked amazingly good not only on his final drive against the Eagles but during the final weeks of the season in practice, going to the other Texas team and having a great season or two.

So Jerry, being the selfish and manipulative old you know what that he is, had his cake and ate it, too.  He got the QB he chose and he ended the career of the other QB by holding onto his contract and rights long enough to force other teams to make alternative plans.  He also forced Romo to either take the TV gig or spend another year sitting the bench in Dallas.

Why should Jerry release him?  He was still under contract. You are so butt hurt. Romo's moved on. You really should too.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: cosmodrum on August 06, 2017, 03:34:04 am
Thank you.

Also, loved having Montana those two years. Some really good teams.

Me too, my earliest childhood memories of watching football with my dad and uncles were the Montana years.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 06, 2017, 12:28:01 pm
Yes. Pretty well known they are a missouri team officially.

Well then say it the right way then.

ShadowHawg

August 08, 2017, 01:30:37 pm #57 Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:05:17 pm by ShadowHawg
Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 06, 2017, 04:55:51 am
Disney and ESPN don't have political beliefs. They have political stances that they take to drive profit.

Short term, the media will all try to stir up the Kaepernick angle, but most of them aren't thinking about more than generating ad clicks. Disney is the long term planner.

It's not even a conspiracy theory. It's just business.

Hardly conspiracy when nearly 90% of media types vote for liberal Democrats.

ESPN has produced Robin Roberts and Keith Olberman over the years. Flaming liberals.

It's also fact that liberals are a political minority in this country so claiming being liberal is a business decision is just not accurate.

http://fortune.com/2015/11/02/liberal-media/

hogsanity

If you guys do not think that the media, in general, has an agenda when it comes to Kaep then you are not paying attention. Every time a team has signed a QB since he got cut we have to see a comparison of his career #'s vs the guy who just signed. Last night they were incredulous that the Dolphins would hire Cutler over Kaep.

Of course, it is a false narrative that he is being kept out of the league due to his stance and politics or his race. He is being kept out because he fell off a cliff after his rookie season, when defense figured out the best way to play him was just let him stand in the pocket and make bad throws and bad decisions.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

It is starting to leak out, but it doesn't fit narratives and agenda's as the race baiters start to take seats in front microphones, that Kaep actually has turned down offers. 

-Kaep wants starters money and will not accept bench pay or even being told he's being brought in to be a back up. 
-Kaep was told by his management company that he if he wants to play he is going to have to work his way back up and showcase his talents, by doing so he may have to sign a short term contract at back up money 1-3 m a year, he fired that company. 
-He has tremendsous amount of noise around him, teams don't need that.
-Dudes GF does a lot more talking than him, and she is a lit match looking for a gas can half empty and full of fumes.
-He isn't talking.  he could do himself a lot of good by coming out and putting some rumors to rest
-He ruined a chance in Miami by his dumb Castro incidence, no way miami can touch him now.
-His GF ruining his Baltimore chance when she called the owner a black save owner.  (I personally think blacks should be severely angry at that)

-Lets not forget, Kaep is the one that opted out of his last contract which would have paid him handsomely I believe.  He opted out of his contract with the 49'ers which was to pay him 17.5 million. 

-Kaep is doing this to try and be looked at like a marytr, he thinks this is putting him on the level of MLK or Nelson Mandela, it is not.  But I have seen it the past two days though, there are race baiters being given a microphone to allow this.  Call it for what it freaking is at this point.  This guy is making this a publicity stunt. 

RazorWest

Quote from: hogsanity on August 08, 2017, 02:26:41 pm
If you guys do not think that the media, in general, has an agenda when it comes to Kaep then you are not paying attention. Every time a team has signed a QB since he got cut we have to see a comparison of his career #'s vs the guy who just signed. Last night they were incredulous that the Dolphins would hire Cutler over Kaep.

Of course, it is a false narrative that he is being kept out of the league due to his stance and politics or his race. He is being kept out because he fell off a cliff after his rookie season, when defense figured out the best way to play him was just let him stand in the pocket and make bad throws and bad decisions.

I think the media is just saying that he is probably a better option, at least athletically, than a lot of these other backups.  I personally believe that he would be a backup somewhere if it wasn't for his refusal to stand during the star spangled banner.  The reality is the guy is not a starter so why do you bring a backup into a situation when he has baggage and might anger the fan base.  Lots of different types of NFL fans out there, but there's a reason MNF always has a country singer intro and lots of Budweiser and truck commercials.  That's their primary demographic, and that demographic generally views refusal to stand as a slight against Vets and the Country.   Kaep is bad for business.   

RazorWest

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 06, 2017, 05:00:25 am
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-marty-mornhinweg-ravens-have-yet-to-craft-plan-for-joe-flaccos-return-20170804-story.html

Flacco's backup Ryan Mallett regressed from Thursday's practice, throwing a screen pass that was intercepted by defensive tackle Carl Davis on Friday. Mallett also overthrew tight end Ryan Malleck and wide receiver Jeremy Maclin and failed to spot tight end Benjamin Watson wide open in the end zone during a red zone exercise before finding Watson later in that same drill.

I appreciate all Mallett did for the Hogs.  He was an excellent QB in a system that really showcased him.  That 2010 team was good enough to possibly be a title contender if the ball bounces a little differently in a couple games, but he has been given a number of opportunities in the NFL to grab starting jobs.  He was even given the starting job in Houston for a time, but he just hasn't performed.  People only get so many chances so he better dance.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: RazorWest on August 08, 2017, 02:58:46 pm
I appreciate all Mallett did for the Hogs.  He was an excellent QB in a system that really showcased him.  That 2010 team was good enough to possibly be a title contender if the ball bounces a little differently in a couple games, but he has been given a number of opportunities in the NFL to grab starting jobs.  He was even given the starting job in Houston for a time, but he just hasn't performed.  People only get so many chances so he better dance.

Houston was the only place he's been that he was given a shot to start. A number of chances?

Secondly, O'Brien brought his man in during that off season. Mallet was doing a better job as the starter but a hail mary was all it took for O'Brian to remove him as starter.

I don't understand how O'Brien has dodged the reputation as a coach that can't manage the QB position. He's been a joke in that regard even if you take Mallet completely out of the picture.

RazorWest

Quote from: ShadowHawg on August 08, 2017, 03:17:19 pm
Houston was the only place he's been that he was given a shot to start. A number of chances?

Secondly, O'Brien brought his man in during that off season. Mallet was doing a better job as the starter but a hail mary was all it took for O'Brian to remove him as starter.

I don't understand how O'Brien has dodged the reputation as a coach that can't manage the QB position. He's been a joke in that regard even if you take Mallet completely out of the picture.

yeah O'Brien sucks with QBs.  Not arguing that, just suggesting that Mallett eventually has to show something when he gets his chances. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorWest on August 08, 2017, 03:24:16 pm
yeah O'Brien sucks with QBs.  Not arguing that, just suggesting that Mallett eventually has to show something when he gets his chances.

Anyone that wants to say Obrien is good with QB's, just look at his Qb he molded at Penn st, he got kicked out of NFL practice this week because he did not know how to break a huddle. 

ShadowHawg

Absolutely. He has a chance to impress teams looking for a QB. If he is vanilla come game time that won't happen.

seasonhog

You are reading to much print........Ryan has done a pretty good job.....when giving the chance.

If someone would say you have the job......many would be surprised.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: seasonhog on August 08, 2017, 03:43:48 pm

You are reading to much print........Ryan has done a pretty good job.....when giving the chance.

If someone would say you have the job......many would be surprised.

While it's not a huge sample, his career qbr is higher than 18 of the NFL's starters from last season.

KlubhouseKonnected

from the perspective of an NFL franchise one of the last things you want to see is headlines about your backup QB.

If he was one of the best 15-20 QB's in the league he'd be under contract somewhere but he is not so he isn't.

bennyl08

He's shown enough to stick around the league for this long.

Tyler Wilson lasted mere months.

Houston saw enough from Mallett to trade for him. Baltimore signed him and he came in and beat the Steelers. Having seen him practice everyday, the raven's gave him an extension.

He hasn't shown enough to be anybody's long term starter and it's very doubtful he ever will be that. However, he's certainly shown "something".
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ShadowHawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 08, 2017, 03:56:28 pm
If he was one of the best 15-20 QB's in the league he'd be under contract somewhere but he is not so he isn't.

That's not historically accurate. There have been plenty of backups who weren't considered top 20 types in the league who shined after given a chance.

Until a guy has been given game time experience, no one can actually tell what he has. Like I pointed out, his lifetime qbr was higher than 18 NFL starters just last season.

DLUXHOG

from the perspective of an NFL franchise one of the last things you want to see is headlines about your backup QB.

Kurt Warner says "hi"
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

oldhawg

Quote from: RazorWest on August 08, 2017, 02:58:46 pm

As I recall Mallett had a season ending injury one of the years he was at Houston.

Gonzo

Quote from: ShadowHawg on August 08, 2017, 04:14:46 pm
That's not historically accurate. There have been plenty of backups who weren't considered top 20 types in the league who shined after given a chance.

Until a guy has been given game time experience, no one can actually tell what he has. Like I pointed out, his lifetime qbr was higher than 18 NFL starters just last season.

I think y'all are talking about different players.

Go Hogs!

Birminghog

Man, I wish I had the tin foil hat concession for this thread.

HamSammich

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 08, 2017, 03:29:38 pm
Anyone that wants to say Obrien is good with QB's, just look at his Qb he molded at Penn st, he got kicked out of NFL practice this week because he did not know how to break a huddle.

You are proving that your own stance is wrong.

We see how crappy Hackenturd is now... look at his stats with CBoB.

Look at the stats of hoyer and Fitzpatrick with CBoB... both career years.

Look at the games friggin weeden has played under CBoB... career games.

I hate CBoB. I think his offense is pure crap. I think his ability to get along with anyone is non existent. I think is a jerk and a phoney.

But I'm not sure if you are right about his qb coaching.

bennyl08

Sometimes you want a different thing out of a backup than you would a starter. Namely, ceilings and floors. Two qb's with equal qb's, but one is a boom/bust guy with a really high ceiling and a really low floor. The other doesn't have nearly the potential, but is consistent. If you are looking for a potential starting qb, you might lean towards the first player hoping you can coach them up so t hat they boom and don't bust while ignoring the latter because you know they'll never get you over the hump. However, if you are looking for a backup, you are going to much prefer the 2nd guy for that role.

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on August 08, 2017, 05:47:35 pm

I hate CBoB. I think his offense is pure crap. I think his ability to get along with anyone is non existent. I think is a jerk and a phoney.

Hackenberg had his best year at PSU his freshmen year and wasn't as prolific his sophomore or junior years. So, check one for CBoB at least at college.

Hoyer: Had better seasons in Cleveland and Chicago the years before and after.

Weeden: The only thing high about his season was qbr, but that was out of two games. If we are going just based on that, then that would be one of Hoyer's worst seasons. (in your defense, I see you wrote "games" instead of years).

Fitzpatrick: Definitely his most efficient year, but hard to argue that his very next season with the jets wasn't his career year where his production nearly doubled.

HamSammich

And he failed with Oswieller who we call trash-wieller....

I just personally think his offense sucks mightily and not so much his qb coaching. I don't think mallett had a chance in hell here with this offense.

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on August 08, 2017, 06:34:38 pm
And he failed with Oswieller who we call trash-wieller....

I just personally think his offense sucks mightily and not so much his qb coaching. I don't think mallett had a chance in hell here with this offense.

Looking at the offensive seasons his qb's have had, it seems apparent he runs a low risk, low reward type of offense. Haven't watched many texans games up here in the PNW so hard to say, but his qb's don't throw a lot, and they don't throw it deep based on the stats.

That's basically the worst case scenario type offense for Mallett, where you need to throw the ball deep plenty and often with him and you can't worry about a few interceptions with him. He's a bit like a Cutler in that regard.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HamSammich on August 08, 2017, 05:47:35 pm

My comment had absolute no knowledge or research, it was merely a joke about Hackenburg who I thought was a complete bust coming out where talking heads thought he was the next coming of a major QB.  So you may be right though, Obrien might have done him some good. 

KlubhouseKonnected

I think you are missing my point. I am saying if Kap were a guy that is a legit franchise quarterback instead of a guy who in his last few seasons has waivered between a middling-to-poor starter and a Blaine Gabbart (sp?) backup, he would have a job somewhere despite hia "politics"/activism.

He's certainly talented enough to be on a roster but obviously not talented enough for that to outweigh, in the minds of 32 NFL GMs, the negative attention and/or distraction that comes with him (at least for now).

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 08, 2017, 05:05:54 pm
Kurt Warner says "hi"

And the reincarnation of Joe Namath is toiling away in some grocery store just waiting to get into arena ball and explode into the sports surprise of the decade.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Gonzo on August 08, 2017, 05:09:04 pm
I think y'all are talking about different players.

Go Hogs!

Upon re-reading I think you are right. Not sure how that happened though. Mallet is u see contract so I was not talking about him. Mallett is in the headlines and that is still not something Baltimore is happy about (because it means Flacco is injured), but I meant Kap as a potential backup being in the headlines for things not related to football.

Gonzo

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 09, 2017, 11:50:17 am
I think you are missing my point. I am saying if Kap were a guy that is a legit franchise quarterback instead of a guy who in his last few seasons has waivered between a middling-to-poor starter and a Blaine Gabbart (sp?) backup, he would have a job somewhere despite hia "politics"/activism.

He's certainly talented enough to be on a roster but obviously not talented enough for that to outweigh, in the minds of 32 NFL GMs, the negative attention and/or distraction that comes with him (at least for now).

Precisely my thinking the entire time about CK, if the positives outweighed the negatives, he would have a job.

Go Hogs!

hog.goblin

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 09, 2017, 11:50:17 am

If the radio was right at least one team offered Kap.  It was just a low offer that he rejected.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 06, 2017, 12:34:58 pm
Why should Jerry release him?  He was still under contract. You are so butt hurt. Romo's moved on. You really should too.

Jerry had no intention of carrying Romo's enormous salary as a backup QB in 2017.  He had already agreed with Romo that he would be released.  Then, Houston traded Osweiler and Jerry reneged on his word because he didn't want Tony to play for the "other" Texas team.  That's not a matter of me being "butt hurt".  That's a matter of acknowledging that Jerry Jones is a manipulative, conniving, vindictive old man who would rather end the career of a guy who had taken a beating for him for a decade than let him go elsewhere once Jerry had decided he was no longer useful to his team.

Apparently that's okay with you.  You can call it "strictly business" if you want, and I suppose you are correct.  That doesn't make it right or him any less of a...well, I won't say it on this board.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 09, 2017, 01:28:05 pm
If the radio was right at least one team offered Kap.  It was just a low offer that he rejected.

He also fired his management team that was begging him to take a short 1 year contract for $900,000, go sit and get a few reps and work his back in to the game. 

He did come out last night to real quickly shut down the leak that he has turned down a contract with one team, but that is all he said and made it through channels that fully support his race baiting.  If he was serious about actually signing with a team and not wanting this to be more of a stunt, he would come out and clear this up by talking. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 09, 2017, 01:35:01 pm
Jerry had no intention of carrying Romo's enormous salary as a backup QB in 2017.  He had already agreed with Romo that he would be released.  Then, Houston traded Osweiler and Jerry reneged on his word because he didn't want Tony to play for the "other" Texas team.  That's not a matter of me being "butt hurt".  That's a matter of acknowledging that Jerry Jones is a manipulative, conniving, vindictive old man who would rather end the career of a guy who had taken a beating for him for a decade than let him go elsewhere once Jerry had decided he was no longer useful to his team.

Apparently that's okay with you.  You can call it "strictly business" if you want, and I suppose you are correct.  That doesn't make it right or him any less of a...well, I won't say it on this board.

Sheesh.... gotta ask, did Jerry steal your girl?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hogsanity

ESPN analyst drilled RM this morning on SC. Said RM proved last night what he has proven every chance he has had in the NFL, he is a mediocre QB because he can't make touch passes and makes poor decisions. After seeing a couple of his throws last night, hard to argue with either point.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bacons Rebellion

Mallet vs Washington:
9-18, 58 yards, 0 TDs, 0 int. QBR = 57.2

RM played the first half. None in the second.
Not a good showing, but he looked better as he played more.

hogsanity

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on August 11, 2017, 02:18:55 pm
Being unceremoniously cut is far from out of the equation.  Ryan Mallett = Dan McGwire, except McGwire had leadership qualities.

There is an argument that last night was not a true test of Ryan's skill and ability.  I don't buy it simply because last night looked like every other night he's handed the keys: the car either never starts or he drives it into a wall.

I guess, in theory, he'd perform given:

1.  Excellent protection.
2.  A sound running game.
3.  A significant deep threat receiver.
4.  Quality defense limiting his exposure.

Of course, a sixty-five-year old Ron Jaworski could likely suit up and succeed in that environment.

Frankly,  I think Mallett gets one more start to prove/show ANYTHING in Baltimore and -- failing that -- the slow motion flameout of his NFL career might be complete.

He just can't play.

If I count correctly, this is his 8th season in the nfl. Not many guys turn it on suddenly after that point.

seasonhog

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on August 11, 2017, 02:18:55 pm
Being unceremoniously cut is far from out of the equation.  Ryan Mallett = Dan McGwire, except McGwire had leadership qualities.

There is an argument that last night was not a true test of Ryan's skill and ability.  I don't buy it simply because last night looked like every other night he's handed the keys: the car either never starts or he drives it into a wall.

I guess, in theory, he'd perform given:

1.  Excellent protection.
2.  A sound running game.
3.  A significant deep threat receiver.
4.  Quality defense limiting his exposure.

Of course, a sixty-five-year old Ron Jaworski could likely suit up and succeed in that environment.

Frankly,  I think Mallett gets one more start to prove/show ANYTHING in Baltimore and -- failing that -- the slow motion flameout of his NFL career might be complete.

He just can't play.

Just saw NFL video of Mallett passing game last night......anyone that say this guy can't play in the NFL......need to quit talking football......they are just making a fool of their selves.

longpig

August 11, 2017, 05:54:21 pm #93 Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:05:52 pm by longpig
Quote from: ShadowHawg on August 08, 2017, 03:17:19 pm

Yep, what QB's career hasn't taken a step back while with O'brien and the Texans?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Hoggiedawg

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on August 11, 2017, 07:03:49 pm
Does that include Bill Belichick?  Who traded Mallet for a lukewarm six-pack of Pabst and handed his job to Jimmy Garoppolo?  Yes, let's start with him.  (sigh)

Ok, we get it.  Mallett wasn't into boys and you hate him for it because he wouldn't go for you.  Find another man and move on.

longpig

Quote from: seasonhog on August 11, 2017, 05:50:39 pm

Just saw NFL video of Mallett passing game last night......anyone that say this guy can't play in the NFL......need to quit talking football......they are just making a fool of their selves.

Can't take a hit, doesn't matter.  He'll never be 'the guy' anywhere because of it.
Don't be scared, be smart.

bennyl08

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on August 11, 2017, 07:03:49 pm
Does that include Bill Belichick?  Who traded Mallet for a lukewarm six-pack of Pabst and handed his job to Jimmy Garoppolo?  Yes, let's start with him.  (sigh)

The same coach who drafted Mallett in the third round?

The same coach who decided that Mallett was a better move for their backup spot than Cassell who has done decently?

The same coach that knew that Mallett was going to become too expensive to stay on as a backup qb when his contract finished and wanted to get something back in return rather than just lose him for nothing?

Is that the same Bill Belichick you are referring to? Indeed, by all means, start with him on whether Mallett can play in the NFL or not.

Razor girl

Dang Zeke . Are you sure that you're a Razorback fan. No one is saying that Mallett is a superstar .I do think he is a solid back up. Wish nothing but the best for him.

hoglady

Quote from: Razor girl on August 11, 2017, 11:30:54 pm
Dang Zeke . Are you sure that you're a Razorback fan. No one is saying that Mallett is a superstar .I do think he is a solid back up. Wish nothing but the best for him.

Whenever you see a thread about Mallett - you can bet a negative post from Zeke isn't too far behind.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality