Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DWR Stadium Expansion

Started by longpig, February 02, 2017, 02:12:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FraggleHog

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on July 21, 2017, 01:26:29 pm
By the way, the 'gap' looks much better now that they've almost finished connecting the two sides of the stadium. Once the elevator towers are up and the seats are in it's going to look amazing.  Gap and all.

Nothing wrong with a gap.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

ICEman

The North End Zone PigScreen appears to be curved.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: ICEman on July 21, 2017, 02:30:58 pm
The North End Zone PigScreen appears to be curved.

Yes what's up with that? One screen is curved one is not? I guess that isn't terrible if the new screen is an upgrade. My natural desire for symmetry nags at me.

Stadium looking fantastic, love to see the standing room only on steel area going up.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 21, 2017, 02:52:50 pm
Yes what's up with that? One screen is curved one is not? I guess that isn't terrible if the new screen is an upgrade. My natural desire for symmetry nags at me.

Stadium looking fantastic, love to see the standing room only on steel area going up.

If you're looking for symmetry, you've come to the wrong place.  As it is, the east and west sides don't match.  If I were bothered by asymmetry--which I tend to be--I would be much more bothered by the fact that the southern end of the stadium is shaped like a half hexagon and the northern end zone is half an elipse than by the fact that the scoreboards don't match.  According to which drawing you look at, it doesn't appear that the elevator towers are going to match either.

But somehow, it all works.  And I think this is going to look great, including the gap.  It should be a visual focal point from outside the stadium but I don't think it is going to look weird from the inside once the whole thing is tied together.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on July 21, 2017, 05:18:14 pm
If you're looking for symmetry, you've come to the wrong place.  As it is, the east and west sides don't match.  If I were bothered by asymmetry--which I tend to be--I would be much more bothered by the fact that the southern end of the stadium is shaped like a half hexagon and the northern end zone is half an elipse than by the fact that the scoreboards don't match.  According to which drawing you look at, it doesn't appear that the elevator towers are going to match either.

But somehow, it all works.  And I think this is going to look great, including the gap.  It should be a visual focal point from outside the stadium but I don't think it is going to look weird from the inside once the whole thing is tied together.
Symmetry? How about brick & dryvit 3/4 of the way around and a 1950's erector set exterior on the home side. I told Jeff Long a few years ago that it would be like a guy who updates the exterior of his home to brick on the back and aides but leaves mobile home siding on the front.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 21, 2017, 05:31:59 pm
Symmetry? How about brick & dryvit 3/4 of the way around and a 1950's erector set exterior on the home side. I told Jeff Long a few years ago that it would be like a guy who updates the exterior of his home to brick on the back and aides but leaves mobile home siding on the front.

Well, when I said the east and west stands don't match, that's partly what I meant.  And you're right, that's the most egregious thing.  But I don't think of it too often since it's only really visible from Razorback Road, and I don't approach or inhabit the stadium from that side too often.  I half accept the explanation that the road limits what they can do over there, but you're right.  I wish they would finish that side somehow.

Either way, it makes asymmetrical scoreboards seem like small beer.

ricepig

I'm sure Jeff appreciated that comment.

GuvHog

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on July 21, 2017, 05:49:05 pm
Well, when I said the east and west stands don't match, that's partly what I meant.  And you're right, that's the most egregious thing.  But I don't think of it too often since it's only really visible from Razorback Road, and I don't approach or inhabit the stadium from that side too often.  I half accept the explanation that the road limits what they can do over there, but you're right.  I wish they would finish that side somehow.

Try going to the concession stand or to the restrooms on the West side second level concourse during halftime. That concourse is horrible. Getting out of there after a game is even worse.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on July 21, 2017, 05:18:14 pm

I do agree it will look fantastic. But darn it you just added to the things that will bother me! Lol. Did not know about the hexagon versus eclipse thing. Whatever, it all goes for sure, will easily be one of the best looking in the conference.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

7-24 Update: Theres a truck dropping off what appears to be bricks between the endzone and the BAC. I believe that means they'll begin working on the exterior of the building very soon.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 21, 2017, 02:52:50 pm

If that bothers you, the uneven LED ribbons in A&M's stadium would be unbearable for you
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawgsalot

I thought the N. endzone scoreboard was going to be up and running by the season?  If so they better get going we're not far off now.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgsalot on July 24, 2017, 08:29:13 am
I thought the N. endzone scoreboard was going to be up and running by the season?  If so they better get going we're not far off now.

They've still got over a month. the first game of the season is in WMS.

spe450

Quote from: hawgsalot on July 24, 2017, 08:29:13 am

I've been kind of anxiously watching that too.  They do have an extra week into the season to get there at least.

FraggleHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 24, 2017, 07:50:05 am
7-24 Update: Theres a truck dropping off what appears to be bricks between the endzone and the BAC. I believe that means they'll begin working on the exterior of the building very soon.

It would be nice if they could get the exterior facade somewhat complete before the season begins...

FraggleHog

Quote from: spe450 on July 24, 2017, 08:31:48 am
I've been kind of anxiously watching that too.  They do have an extra week into the season to get there at least.

The SEZ screen took just a few days to complete. I'm sure they are just waiting on the panels to deliver and have everything else staged and ready to go.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

They have plenty of time. A month ago the frame for the SEZ wasn't complete and the NEZ structure hadn't even begun. These guys work very quickly/efficiently. I expect the NEZ scoreboard to be complete in about 2 weeks EDIT maybe 3, but either way the scoreboards will be fully operational vs TCU

GoHogzzGo

So when do we think the NEZ bleacher seats start going up? I hope it is before or during the season. But I would understand if they are quite a bit later to allow for room to work in the main structure.

spe450

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 24, 2017, 09:04:47 am
The SEZ screen took just a few days to complete. I'm sure they are just waiting on the panels to deliver and have everything else staged and ready to go.

It only took that long to put up, but they still have to connect everything and get it going electrically and visually.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 25, 2017, 07:16:54 am
So when do we think the NEZ bleacher seats start going up? I hope it is before or during the season. But I would understand if they are quite a bit later to allow for room to work in the main structure.
The bleachers aren't gonna be up before the season, theres just no way lol. They haven't poured cement for the base of the NEZ scoreboard or finished working on the scoreboard itself.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 25, 2017, 07:16:54 am

There are no bleachers

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 25, 2017, 07:43:27 am
The bleachers aren't gonna be up before the season, theres just no way lol. They haven't poured cement for the base of the NEZ scoreboard or finished working on the scoreboard itself.

Agreed so I'll rephrase. We think they'll go up during season or after? And certainly I mean that seating that goes below the skyboxes to the field. Whatever it is called.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Well you said you hope they went up before or during the season, which is why I made that comment. We have no way of knowing when the NEZ bleachers will go up because they are nowhere near that part of the construction. Too many other things being worked on right now that have to be completed first

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 25, 2017, 08:01:13 am
Well you said you hope they went up before or during the season, which is why I made that comment. We have no way of knowing when the NEZ bleachers will go up because they are nowhere near that part of the construction. Too many other things being worked on right now that have to be completed first

You're right fair enough.  :D Just curious. Perhaps the construction Forman is lurking online here, one can dream.

GuvHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 25, 2017, 08:01:13 am

I believe it's going to be Outdoor Club seating rather than bleachers.

VirginiaHog

North video board screens are going up today

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

7-25 Update
1st panel of the NEZ scoreboard is going up

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GuvHog on July 25, 2017, 08:28:11 am
I believe it's going to be Outdoor Club seating rather than bleachers.

There will be bleachers as well as outdoor club seating

GuvHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 25, 2017, 09:11:52 am

Where do you see bleachers in that drawing?? All I see is outdoor club seats. The Red indicates chair back club seating.

HogHolio

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 25, 2017, 09:11:52 am

Bleachers are considered bench seating. I believe the North end zone will be all seat backs right?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GuvHog on July 25, 2017, 09:19:43 am
Where do you see bleachers in that drawing?? All I see is outdoor club seats. The Red indicates chair back club seating.
I thought they were red bench seats  ;D

Jackrabbit Hog

I told Jeff Long a few years ago that it would be like a guy who updates the exterior of his home to brick on the back and aides but leaves mobile home siding on the front.

And all this time I thought my remodel job on my house was adored by all...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

JOKERHOG

Drove by again this week just to see the progress for myself.  This will be an incredible looking stadium.  Will look bigger than it actually is and will look at good as any in the SEC.  Can't wait to see it completed. 
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 25, 2017, 11:56:46 am
And all this time I thought my remodel job on my house was adored by all...

You should have put in heated toilets...................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike Irwin

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on July 21, 2017, 05:49:05 pm

They need to flatten Razorback Road starting down by the practice fields moving north to create a tunnel behind the west stands. Build a plaza where the street is now with the road running under it. Put up some statues with benches and trees, a place for fans to sit and visit. Add a brick exterior to the back of the stands. Get rid of the erector set look.

The home side of the stadium needs a proper entrance. 

ArkansasI

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 25, 2017, 09:47:09 pm
They need to flatten Razorback Road starting down by the practice fields moving north to create a tunnel behind the west stands. Build a plaza where the street is now with the road running under it. Put up some statues with benches and trees, a place for fans to sit and visit. Add a brick exterior to the back of the stands. Get rid of the erector set look.

Exactly!  The west interior is narrow and dangerous. I'm shocked we haven't experienced a horrifying event in the narrows between concessions and the first floor.

All this could be cured with what you've described or, rather than tunnel, just build the plaza above the existing road.

I cannot believe this issue with the stadium continues to be ignored. It would measurably improve the fans' game day.

sowmonella

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 25, 2017, 09:47:09 pm

Write em a big ole check to cover that Mike.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 25, 2017, 10:09:30 pm
Exactly!  The west interior is narrow and dangerous. I'm shocked we haven't experienced a horrifying event in the narrows between concessions and the first floor.

All this could be cured with what you've described or, rather than tunnel, just build the plaza above the existing road.

I cannot believe this issue with the stadium continues to be ignored. It would measurably improve the fans' game day.
It honestly wouldnt take much to enhance the game day experience lol

hobhog

The whole west side is a bad concessions and entry nightmare. Definitely needs improvements....

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 25, 2017, 10:09:30 pm

What I'm suggesting would not really be a tunnel. They'd just flatten Razorback Road so that when it reached the west stands it would beat 15-20 feet below the entrances/exits to the west side. Then they'd build a plaza over it. If they really wanted to spend some money they could take out the parking lot to the west and create a two level parking deck with the lower level below the plaza at the new level of Razorback Road. They could also create lower level parking where the north endzone lot is and put a tailgating area above it with grass & trees.

I can tell them how to spend their money as fast as they can come up with it.  ;D

ArkansasI

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 25, 2017, 10:24:25 pm
What I'm suggesting would not really be a tunnel. They'd just flatten Razorback Road so that when it reached the west stands it would beat 15-20 feet below the entrances/exits to the west side. Then they'd build a plaza over it. If they really wanted to spend some money they could take out the parking lot to the west and create a two level parking deck with the lower level below the plaza at the new level of Razorback Road. They could also create lower level parking where the north endzone lot is and put a tailgating area above it with grass & trees.

I can tell them how to spend their money as fast as they can come up with it.  ;D
As I posted above, I completely agree with you - no matter how it gets done!

Inhogswetrust

The road then would be very steep coming out from under that plaza before it connects to Maple. It is fairly steep entering along and just before that side of the stadium. IIRC it is also a US highway and not owned by the state or locally. Think that has been one of the holdups all along. Something can and should be done though. I think rerouting and closing that short portion of the hwy. Then use the old right of way for entrance and expansion of concourses.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GoHogzzGo

Looks like the video screen is starting to go in on the NEZ framework.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 26, 2017, 08:01:52 am
Looks like the video screen is starting to go in on the NEZ framework.
you're a little late on that one bud lol

Cinco de Hogo

Ha that's a great idea, glad I suggested it!!   But you just as well call it a tunnel for practical purposes, it ain't gonna get any daylight if they built a plaza over it.

go hogues

What's being built on the west side of Razorback road, north of the stadium?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

KC_archHOG

Best thing we could do right now to enhance the gameday experience and cost NO MONEY to do, would be to expand the hogwalk through victory village. Drop the players off at the top of the hill and let them walk down to the stadium through the fans. Currently we have the second shortest "player walk" in the SEC to Vandy (who doesn't really have one). Expand it through Victory Village and we'd be top 5, just shorter than Georgia and equal with Tennessee (both of which are INCREDIBLE experiences).

ricepig

Quote from: go hogues on July 26, 2017, 09:01:44 am
What's being built on the west side of Razorback road, north of the stadium?

"They paved paradise, put up a parking lot." That would be my guess.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: KC_archHOG on July 26, 2017, 09:10:59 am
Best thing we could do right now to enhance the gameday experience and cost NO MONEY to do, would be to expand the hogwalk through victory village. Drop the players off at the top of the hill and let them walk down to the stadium through the fans. Currently we have the second shortest "player walk" in the SEC to Vandy (who doesn't really have one). Expand it through Victory Village and we'd be top 5, just shorter than Georgia and equal with Tennessee (both of which are INCREDIBLE experiences).
Agreed. Even the hog walk in little rock is longer than the ones in Fayetteville. That should be an easy fix  ::)

jst01

Anyone know what they are doing with the lot just south of the Alumni House, just across Razorback Rd. from the pit?