Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

POLL: Are You Boycotting the NFL?

Started by BigBrandonAllenFan, September 25, 2017, 04:42:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you participating in the national boycott of the NFL?

YES, I am participating in the national boycott of the NFL
48 (52.7%)
NO, I will not boycott the NFL
43 (47.3%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Voting closed: October 16, 2017, 04:42:13 pm

bennyl08

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 26, 2017, 01:28:03 pm
I was just playing around in the first part of my post.  I meant that I think your opinion is wrong, but I was joking about my opinion being right.  Again, opinions are what they are.

I personally don't feel like we have been sitting on the couch doing nothing.  Race relations have been much better in my generation than they are currently.  Why is that?  We began to focus on our differences again rather than on the things that bring us together.

I disagree that race relations were better in the past than they are now. Go back 20-30 years ago and discussions on race were much lower, but that's because they largely ignored each other. White flight was in full force leading to a pretty large scale self-segregation. Heck, even 10 years ago, Cabot HS hardly had any black kids.

Today, you are more likely to find diverse groups of friends rather than segregated groups of friends than you would have just a decade ago, and way more so than several decades ago. It's becoming much more mainstream to not just have white dominated media. TV shows that focus on minorities, media that reflects the demographics of the region, all much more prevalent today than a generation ago.

A large part of the racial upset that is undeniably going on today is a response and a side effect of much better race relations. It seems counter-intuitive, but it's true. White supremacists are scared and lashing out more. No longer are they just an endangered species, they are now backed into a corner and fighting back much harder than were before. Further, with the decrease of self-segregation, there's an increase in dialogue. It's like two cousins spending a lot more time together who didn't spend a lot of time growing up. No doubt, the number of fights and disagreements they have will be higher today, but that's because their familiar relationship is stronger than it was when they didn't see each other.

QuoteAre there still issues?  You bet.  We need to talk about those.  Have the riots and the protest helped race relations or damaged them?  That is an honest question.  Has disrespecting each other, disrespecting national symbols, disrespecting property helped or hurt the cohesiveness of this country?  Are we moving forward or backward in race relations right now?  You can't JUST blame our current president for this, it started under our last one. 

Strawman and possible victim complex that anybody is JUST blaming the current president. The only people I see even talking about that are republicans. Democrats and liberals are making it a key point and aspect that these problems started to come back into the foreground under Obama.

To your first question, I don't think they've had much impact. I mean, stupid people are going to stupid. The riots, street blocking, etc... have represented such a tiny portion of all this that people who don't already have a negative view point of minorities haven't been swayed to thinking worse. Those who have focused on that small portion and ignored the other 99% already had a negative view. Those in the middle are pretty much still in the middle. They are tired of hearing about all the complaints from the protestors and tired of the racism from supremacists and such.

Dis-respecting each other IMO has nothing to do with race here. There's been a pretty much universal increase in disrespecting others resulting from people surrounding themselves in echo chambers, dehumanizing those that disagree with them, and then hiding behind the internet rather than actually discussing things face to face. As for disrespecting national symbols, I mean, we have a bunch of people waving flags whose origin is rooted in racism as was the resurgence in popularity. Waving that is pretty disrespectful of the country. As for the kneeling during the anthem, you'll have to take up that presumption of disrespect with the military as they kneel to honor the fallen and still show respect to the flag. It was an army green beret who suggested the kneeling at the anthem in the first place as a way for Kaep to still show respect. So, if you think doing that is disrespectful, again, you'd have to take that up with the military and veterans. I do agree that disrespecting property doesn't help. I mean, when a group of terrorists take over a federal building, that isn't going to endear people to their cause. The rioters who destroy their own neighborhoods and businesses and all of that isn't helping anybody either. However, those people aren't BLM supporters anymore than the terrorist who shot up the planned parenthood in colorado springs is a supporter of christianity. Him doing that certainly isn't helping champion christianity, but anybody thinking of becoming a christian but turning away certainly isn't doing so just because of tiny fraction of bad eggs like him. Same thing with the rioters.

QuoteThere are those that profit from fear and keeping America divided.  Both political parties want to keep us separated.  News has to continue to sell sensationalism. 

America's race relations are still better than most of the worlds.  We just have more races that we are trying to integrate.

Central and South America are extremely racist.
African countries are fighting and killing each other in civil wars based on ethnic backgrounds.
Europe has constantly been at war with itself over genocide and ethnic cleansing as late as the 90's.  That severe racism still exist there today, much more than here.

Very true. Not sure the relevance.

I mean, as you admit above, we still have issues to face. We can't, or at least we shouldn't be the police to the entire world. However, we can change and fix the problems that we have to hopefully inspire others to improve as well. I mean, if I'm sitting here, punching you repeatedly in the face, it's not going to be terribly comforting or productive for me to be telling you, sure, there's a problem with violence here, but I mean, in other players, instead of some punches, people are getting stabbed, shot, and even blown up, so you know, you could have it worse. You're probably going to want to solve the issue of you getting punched first before trying to solve any of those other problems.

QuoteIs there another country that has gone to war with itself, willing to have massive casualties and possibly  cripple its own economy to liberate an enslaved minority in its own borders?  America did that.  We saw that sin and the inhumanity of slavery and were willing to die to liberate an entire people group that did not have the ability to do it themselves nor could they repay the sacrifice made for that liberation.

See above. Isn't great that I'm only slapping you right now when I used to punch you? You shouldn't complain that you're being slapped when I've improved so much from my past where I punched you...

QuoteAmerica is a great country.

Wait, I thought it had to be made great again? If it has to be made great again, then it can't be great right now? Or has Trump already made us great again?

QuoteAmerica isn't great because we won our liberty from England in a war.

America is great because we consolidated our people through dialogue and compromise in forming this country.

Compromise is a dirty word in politics right now. Further, people on the right have seen the gradual and steady shift to the left over the centuries and is more likely to view a compromise as a loss. Ironically, 100 years ago, it was the republicans pushing this country further left while the democrats were the conservative party and standing in the way of equality.

I'd argue america is a great country because we were isolated from the world powers at the time, had a rich abundance of untapped resources, and was able to utilize both of those to our advantage. That isolation made stretched players like spain and france allowing us to leverage our fur, tobacco, cotton, etc... resources into relatively easy expansion. Our people remain highly segregated. Irish people didn't have dialogue and compromise, they lived in their own communities and kept to themselves. Same with Germans and scandinavians and so on. As for the government, it didn't give us advantages over other countries. By the time we became a player on the world stage, everybody else was democratic in the governance as well. Even if we started with a monarchy, by the 20th century, we'd have been like britain where the monarchy is all for show and parliment runs things.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that we chose the style of government that we did. I just don't think that made us great.

QuoteWhenever one side or the other grandstands and tries to shout down the other side we have gridlock.

When we continue to push a false narrative to keep people scared, then we are the problem. 

Check out this video.  It might help to understand the false narrative that is out there.  America isn't as bad as you are trying to make it out to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phPXTWJhnYM

False narratives like how immigrants are rapists and drug dealers? False narratives like immigrants are a drain on taxes? False narratives like muslims are dangerous? False narratives like climate change is a hoax? False narratives like if we raise taxes on the wealthy, we'll lose jobs? I could go on and on.

I agree that it is a false narrative that white cops killing black men is a large systematic problem. However, it is also a false narrative that killings are the narrative that people are concerned about. The government killing any innocent person is a problem for sure, but the vast majority of the problem isn't people getting killed, it's the smaller things like longer sentences for the same crimes even after accounting for past criminal history. It's things like being more likely to have the threat of or actual force on a per stop basis. As I was discussing with Casken, it isn't a cop problem. It isn't even a racism problem. Most people don't think cops are thinking "ooh, this person is black, I am going to treat them differently". That would be racism, and while there are some racists cops, most people agree that they are comparatively rare. The much bigger issue is implicit bias. You aren't consciously thinking about the person's race, but your subconscious does. It isn't "here's a black person, let's shoot them" It's being in two identical situations but you feeling more threatened when the person is a minority and you feeling like you can de-escalate the situation and not use lethal force if the person is white. This is an issue in academia, in sales, in the medical field, in casual conversation. In academia, you aren't thinking, man this person is black, I bet they are dumb. It's the subtlety of subconsciously having lower expectations. In sales, it's subconsciously assuming they can't afford as much as a white person. In the medical field, it's been shown that nurses assume a higher pain tolerance for blacks than whites. In casual conversation, you ask a pregnant black woman if she knows who the father is while you ask a white pregnant woman if they know the sex of the baby yet. However, there's two reasons why police and the judicial system as a whole are the brunt of the focus and not everybody else despite the issues being the same. First, the consequences are higher. Physical violence, increased jail time, possibly even death are much worse consequences than being offended by a sales associate at best buy. Secondly, you have the power dynamic. It's the same reason why it's a lot worse for a teacher to sexually harass a student than it would be for one student to harass another. Even if it is no more prevalent in the government than it is in any other field, when a position of authority is biased, it becomes a bigger issue. Even though the conservative organizations weren't audited unless they actually did do something wrong, the idea that a few individuals in the government were looking harder for mistakes in conservative tax filings became a big issue.

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RebelliousHog

My team stayed on their feet and locked arms. As did the Bears. I voted no.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Biggus Piggus

Many people take their right wing marching orders like the good butt boys they are.
[CENSORED]!

pigture perfect

I am boycotting because
1. I don't believe the false narrative of wholesale police brutality towards black America.

2. I believe that these kind of protests the players are doing only add to division instead of equality.

3. I believe that a better way to make a situation known is through verbal communication. Speaking as a man, I hate when the wife is acting a little surly and I ask what's wrong and she either say, "nothing" or gives me the look.

4. Because it makes Bennie and VA mad when I'm right.

5. And I agree with what UU said. And to argue with him makes you look silly. I should know. I've lost arguments with him before.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Not boycotting. I won't allow some kneeling to deprive me of football on Sundays.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

pigz

It is shocking the amount of butthurt over some players kneeling, and it is mostly from the people that usually call others "snowflakes".
You guys have a good time frig dancing

bennyl08

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 29, 2017, 12:53:34 am
I am boycotting because
1. I don't believe the false narrative of wholesale police brutality towards black America.

2. I believe that these kind of protests the players are doing only add to division instead of equality.

3. I believe that a better way to make a situation known is through verbal communication. Speaking as a man, I hate when the wife is acting a little surly and I ask what's wrong and she either say, "nothing" or gives me the look.

4. Because it makes Bennie and VA mad when I'm right.

5. And I agree with what UU said. And to argue with him makes you look silly. I should know. I've lost arguments with him before.

1. What a strange reason to boycott. Boycotting for something that has nothing to do with the protests? Don't get me wrong, I also disagree with the false narrative of wholesale police brutality against blacks. As does virtually every player protesting seeing as they aren't protesting based on that false narrative whatsoever. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

2. I agree that it is in part adding to the division, but disagree that it is "only" doing that. And the reason for the division is a stupid one. I mean, I'd like to see the people complaining that it is disrespectful to kneel go up to a marine at a funeral and tell them how disrespectful it is. The whole situation reminds me of the time a bunch of white PC police got mad at FSU for their use of the seminoles and complained but then the seminoles came out and said, we're cool with it. We have an agreement with the university.

You now have a bunch of conservatives acting as PC police trying to protect the military from such a disrespectful showing when it was a green beret himself who suggested the kneeling as a way to be respectful.

3. Well, people are talking more about the issues now than they did before when more words were used.

4. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. First, you not watching the NFL proves absolutely nothing. So now, all you are doing is avoiding something you used to do because you think by depriving yourself of something you otherwise enjoy, you will get to remove joyness from strangers you don't even know? Think about that for a bit.

5. No, arguing with UU doesn't make anybody look silly. His expertise in the field of politics and patriotism is about on par with Kaepernick's expertise of politics. He used to provide entertaining practice reports back in the day. However, he is largely just the right wing version of whosiskid. Spews a bunch words that don't say much of anything at all.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 30, 2017, 02:40:44 pm
Spews a bunch words that don't say much of anything at all.

You would know. Have you read your posts?

bennyl08

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 30, 2017, 04:31:41 pm
You would know. Have you read your posts?

I have read my posts. Sometimes I'm repetitive because the audience here has demonstrated incredibly poor reading comprehension.

cosmodrum

No, I am not giving up Chiefs season tickets that have been in my family before Arrowhead stadium was built because of current foolishness.

I'm not getting into the debate because both sides are dug in and will not change their minds.

Also, it's not breaking news that Roger Goodell sucks. We've known this for a good decade now.
Go away, batin'

kp72204

Why do we not sing the full version of the National Anthem? Lets try to stand through the whole version of the national anthem and and see how patriotic everyone remains. Also, I will be retiring from the military in a year and a half, so because I know what point he's trying to get across does that make me less patriotic? Also, this is the year KC has a really good squad and of course something has to derail it!!! I'm a Chiefs fan not trying to make fun at the guy above by the way.

bennyl08

Quote from: kp72204 on September 30, 2017, 07:07:18 pm
Why do we not sing the full version of the National Anthem? Lets try to stand through the whole version of the national anthem and and see how patriotic everyone remains. Also, I will be retiring from the military in a year and a half, so because I know what point he's trying to get across does that make me less patriotic? Also, this is the year KC has a really good squad and of course something has to derail it!!! I'm a Chiefs fan not trying to make fun at the guy above by the way.

A bunch of PC people trying to speak for how offended the military must be by the kneeling while ignoring what military members actually have to say on the matter...

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 30, 2017, 07:22:34 pm
A bunch of PC people trying to speak for how offended the military must be by the kneeling while ignoring what military members actually have to say on the matter...

Nope.  Not me.  I did mention the military, but it represents all of us.  I said as much.  Not speaking for any military that I don't know.  All that I know and have talked to have told me that they fought for those fools as much as anyone.  However, I have not talked to one that agreed with disrespecting the flag.  I guess there are some out there though.
Retired Radio Host

kp72204

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 30, 2017, 07:41:30 pm
Nope.  Not me.  I did mention the military, but it represents all of us.  I said as much.  Not speaking for any military that I don't know.  All that I know and have talked to have told me that they fought for those fools as much as anyone.  However, I have not talked to one that agreed with disrespecting the flag.  I guess there are some out there though.
My question is still...Why don't we stand for the full version of the Star Spangled Banner? Not the quick 1 minute version but the ENTIRE thing. The verses that come after home of the brave. I enjoy the dialogue in this post, mostly everyone has been respectful and not the name calling as in other sites. Wish MMQB was like this. LOL

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: kp72204 on September 30, 2017, 08:12:19 pm
My question is still...Why don't we stand for the full version of the Star Spangled Banner? Not the quick 1 minute version but the ENTIRE thing. The verses that come after home of the brave. I enjoy the dialogue in this post, mostly everyone has been respectful and not the name calling as in other sites. Wish MMQB was like this. LOL

I don't know.  I guess because someone decided that the version we do stand for is enough.

Why don't we stand and sing all of the words to "Take me out to the ball game" instead of only the chorus?  Someone decided that was enough.

Retired Radio Host

grayhawg

Looks like we have their attention, let all the overpaid protesters pound sand, I have not watched an NFL game since the NFL management took the side of the protesting players. Hope they do something about it or go broke.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/team-america-owners-scrambled-wake-protests-report-131824119.html

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 28, 2017, 04:16:24 pm
I disagree that race relations were better in the past than they are now. Go back 20-30 years ago and discussions on race were much lower, but that's because they largely ignored each other. White flight was in full force leading to a pretty large scale self-segregation. Heck, even 10 years ago, Cabot HS hardly had any black kids.

Today, you are more likely to find diverse groups of friends rather than segregated groups of friends than you would have just a decade ago, and way more so than several decades ago. It's becoming much more mainstream to not just have white dominated media. TV shows that focus on minorities, media that reflects the demographics of the region, all much more prevalent today than a generation ago.

A large part of the racial upset that is undeniably going on today is a response and a side effect of much better race relations. It seems counter-intuitive, but it's true. White supremacists are scared and lashing out more. No longer are they just an endangered species, they are now backed into a corner and fighting back much harder than were before. Further, with the decrease of self-segregation, there's an increase in dialogue. It's like two cousins spending a lot more time together who didn't spend a lot of time growing up. No doubt, the number of fights and disagreements they have will be higher today, but that's because their familiar relationship is stronger than it was when they didn't see each other.

Strawman and possible victim complex that anybody is JUST blaming the current president. The only people I see even talking about that are republicans. Democrats and liberals are making it a key point and aspect that these problems started to come back into the foreground under Obama.

To your first question, I don't think they've had much impact. I mean, stupid people are going to stupid. The riots, street blocking, etc... have represented such a tiny portion of all this that people who don't already have a negative view point of minorities haven't been swayed to thinking worse. Those who have focused on that small portion and ignored the other 99% already had a negative view. Those in the middle are pretty much still in the middle. They are tired of hearing about all the complaints from the protestors and tired of the racism from supremacists and such.

Dis-respecting each other IMO has nothing to do with race here. There's been a pretty much universal increase in disrespecting others resulting from people surrounding themselves in echo chambers, dehumanizing those that disagree with them, and then hiding behind the internet rather than actually discussing things face to face. As for disrespecting national symbols, I mean, we have a bunch of people waving flags whose origin is rooted in racism as was the resurgence in popularity. Waving that is pretty disrespectful of the country. As for the kneeling during the anthem, you'll have to take up that presumption of disrespect with the military as they kneel to honor the fallen and still show respect to the flag. It was an army green beret who suggested the kneeling at the anthem in the first place as a way for Kaep to still show respect. So, if you think doing that is disrespectful, again, you'd have to take that up with the military and veterans. I do agree that disrespecting property doesn't help. I mean, when a group of terrorists take over a federal building, that isn't going to endear people to their cause. The rioters who destroy their own neighborhoods and businesses and all of that isn't helping anybody either. However, those people aren't BLM supporters anymore than the terrorist who shot up the planned parenthood in colorado springs is a supporter of christianity. Him doing that certainly isn't helping champion christianity, but anybody thinking of becoming a christian but turning away certainly isn't doing so just because of tiny fraction of bad eggs like him. Same thing with the rioters.

Very true. Not sure the relevance.

I mean, as you admit above, we still have issues to face. We can't, or at least we shouldn't be the police to the entire world. However, we can change and fix the problems that we have to hopefully inspire others to improve as well. I mean, if I'm sitting here, punching you repeatedly in the face, it's not going to be terribly comforting or productive for me to be telling you, sure, there's a problem with violence here, but I mean, in other players, instead of some punches, people are getting stabbed, shot, and even blown up, so you know, you could have it worse. You're probably going to want to solve the issue of you getting punched first before trying to solve any of those other problems.

See above. Isn't great that I'm only slapping you right now when I used to punch you? You shouldn't complain that you're being slapped when I've improved so much from my past where I punched you...

Wait, I thought it had to be made great again? If it has to be made great again, then it can't be great right now? Or has Trump already made us great again?

Compromise is a dirty word in politics right now. Further, people on the right have seen the gradual and steady shift to the left over the centuries and is more likely to view a compromise as a loss. Ironically, 100 years ago, it was the republicans pushing this country further left while the democrats were the conservative party and standing in the way of equality.

I'd argue america is a great country because we were isolated from the world powers at the time, had a rich abundance of untapped resources, and was able to utilize both of those to our advantage. That isolation made stretched players like spain and france allowing us to leverage our fur, tobacco, cotton, etc... resources into relatively easy expansion. Our people remain highly segregated. Irish people didn't have dialogue and compromise, they lived in their own communities and kept to themselves. Same with Germans and scandinavians and so on. As for the government, it didn't give us advantages over other countries. By the time we became a player on the world stage, everybody else was democratic in the governance as well. Even if we started with a monarchy, by the 20th century, we'd have been like britain where the monarchy is all for show and parliment runs things.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that we chose the style of government that we did. I just don't think that made us great.

False narratives like how immigrants are rapists and drug dealers? False narratives like immigrants are a drain on taxes? False narratives like muslims are dangerous? False narratives like climate change is a hoax? False narratives like if we raise taxes on the wealthy, we'll lose jobs? I could go on and on.

I agree that it is a false narrative that white cops killing black men is a large systematic problem. However, it is also a false narrative that killings are the narrative that people are concerned about. The government killing any innocent person is a problem for sure, but the vast majority of the problem isn't people getting killed, it's the smaller things like longer sentences for the same crimes even after accounting for past criminal history. It's things like being more likely to have the threat of or actual force on a per stop basis. As I was discussing with Casken, it isn't a cop problem. It isn't even a racism problem. Most people don't think cops are thinking "ooh, this person is black, I am going to treat them differently". That would be racism, and while there are some racists cops, most people agree that they are comparatively rare. The much bigger issue is implicit bias. You aren't consciously thinking about the person's race, but your subconscious does. It isn't "here's a black person, let's shoot them" It's being in two identical situations but you feeling more threatened when the person is a minority and you feeling like you can de-escalate the situation and not use lethal force if the person is white. This is an issue in academia, in sales, in the medical field, in casual conversation. In academia, you aren't thinking, man this person is black, I bet they are dumb. It's the subtlety of subconsciously having lower expectations. In sales, it's subconsciously assuming they can't afford as much as a white person. In the medical field, it's been shown that nurses assume a higher pain tolerance for blacks than whites. In casual conversation, you ask a pregnant black woman if she knows who the father is while you ask a white pregnant woman if they know the sex of the baby yet. However, there's two reasons why police and the judicial system as a whole are the brunt of the focus and not everybody else despite the issues being the same. First, the consequences are higher. Physical violence, increased jail time, possibly even death are much worse consequences than being offended by a sales associate at best buy. Secondly, you have the power dynamic. It's the same reason why it's a lot worse for a teacher to sexually harass a student than it would be for one student to harass another. Even if it is no more prevalent in the government than it is in any other field, when a position of authority is biased, it becomes a bigger issue. Even though the conservative organizations weren't audited unless they actually did do something wrong, the idea that a few individuals in the government were looking harder for mistakes in conservative tax filings became a big issue.

One helluva good post.  Gets plus 1 for the time taken to give the input.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: kp72204 on September 30, 2017, 07:07:18 pm
Why do we not sing the full version of the National Anthem? Lets try to stand through the whole version of the national anthem and and see how patriotic everyone remains.

Maybe this is why>>>  God bless his good American heart.

Albert Einswine

Not boycotting. While I don't like to see politics inserted into entertainment, I'm not all torn up about players protesting the anthem or the flag. I think it's not in their financial self interest, but that's their decision to make.

I don't at all agree with the position that their protest is disrespectful to veterans or current military members. I'm a veteran and it doesn't touch me at all.

I believe in the fullest measure of liberty possible for all citizens, even if it's something I would never do myself. As long as your liberty does no harm to others knock yourself out. Afford me the same liberty to exercise mine.

While you or I may feel that their display is a bad look, and while it may be bothersome to look upon because of our societal conditioning around the anthem and flag, to borrow a phrase from Jefferson..., "It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

tophawg19

October 01, 2017, 04:17:57 pm #69 Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:28:53 pm by tophawg19
Quote from: bennyl08 on September 26, 2017, 02:30:25 am
I get it. Snowflakes are all unique and individual.

People who thinks that everybody has to assign the same significance to the flag and anthem are group thinkers. So, while they do melt down over insignificant things, abiding by groupthink means they can't be a snowflake.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hoglady

I don't like players protesting DURING the National Anthem or presentation of the Flag.
Don't care one bit if they kneel prior to or after.

Although I sure preferred when politics weren't in every aspect of our lives - just this constant noise.

I love football.
Will not allow the few (and it really is a few) spoil my enjoyment of the game.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

holeinthewall

The Lynch tshirt did it for me yesterday.  Trump and anyone who voted for him are racist but so is anyone who was against Obama.  Even though voting for one and against the other had nothing to do with skin color.

Besides they make it easy for me living in Little Rock and seeing the same teams on the TV each week. CBS is always going to be the Chiefs and Fox is either Dallas or New Orleans.   So I will watch NASCAR or something else on Sundays or get more things done around the house.

grayhawg

Quote from: holeinthewall on October 02, 2017, 02:16:40 am
The Lynch tshirt did it for me yesterday.  Trump and anyone who voted for him are racist but so is anyone who was against Obama.  Even though voting for one and against the other had nothing to do with skin color.

Besides they make it easy for me living in Little Rock and seeing the same teams on the TV each week. CBS is always going to be the Chiefs and Fox is either Dallas or New Orleans.   So I will watch NASCAR or something else on Sundays or get more things done around the house.
There are a lot of people who say the Obama's are racist. (Just google obama racist). So they could say anybody who voted for Obama was racist, opinions are like feet everybody has a couple.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hoglady on October 01, 2017, 07:41:04 pm
I don't like players protesting DURING the National Anthem or presentation of the Flag.
Don't care one bit if they kneel prior to or after.

Although I sure preferred when politics weren't in every aspect of our lives - just this constant noise.

I love football.
Will not allow the few (and it really is a few) spoil my enjoyment of the game.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: 1highhog on September 25, 2017, 11:33:15 pm
While tonight the whole Dallas Cowboys team, coaches, and even Ole Jerry Jones himself took a knee during the anthem, priceless.
No they didn't.  They knelt before the anthem, to pray.  They stood for the anthem with arms linked to demonstrate unity.

It's disingenuous to complain about players kneeling during the anthem, then attack the ones who find an alternative way to make their point while stopping the behavior that was offensive.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

No, I'm not participating in the counter-protest. 

I have fantasy football games to win.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

BigBrandonAllenFan

Herschel Walker on the NFL and the National Anthem>

pigz

Don't protest at work!!

Kim Davis is my hero!!

Which is it?

cosmodrum

We can't handle knees and asscheeks and people think we can do something to prevent mass murder. What a country.
Go away, batin'

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 26, 2017, 02:30:25 am
I get it. Snowflakes are all unique and individual.

Could you define what a snowflake is?  You lose me with the slang. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 03, 2017, 10:18:00 am
Herschel Walker on the NFL and the National Anthem>

That's actually a pretty good video. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hoglady

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 03, 2017, 05:27:13 pm
That’s actually a pretty good video. 

It sure is.
He's a businessman and he wouldn't allow his employees to offend his customers.
Protest on your own time.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: hoglady on October 04, 2017, 07:51:40 am
It sure is.
He's a businessman and he wouldn't allow his employees to offend his customers.
Protest on your own time.

You said it, Hoglady.

I seriously think NFL commissioner, Roger Goddell, is living on a short rope right now.

Wildhog

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 04, 2017, 01:04:04 pm
You said it, Hoglady.

I seriously think NFL commissioner, Roger Goddell, is living on a short rope right now.

Well, he's worth about 75 million dollars, so I think he'll be ok.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

BigBrandonAllenFan

https://www.novanations.com/2017/10/13/for-broadcasters-have-worsened/

Quote10/13/2017

BRЕAKING: Mаjor Nеtworks Pаnic Аftеr NFL Gеts Hit With Rаtings Plungе

The protests by NFL players during the National Anthem have been hurting the league's television ratings since last year. This season, as the protests have continued, the television ratings and ramifications for broadcasters have worsened.

More bad news for the NFL: an analyst for Credit Suisse yesterday downgraded his price and earnings per share targets for 21st Century Fox in part due to NFL ratings that are coming in below market expectations.

"We trim our 2018/19 EPS forecasts ... ahead of Q1 earnings," analyst Omar Sheikh wrote in a note to clients Thursday. "The key near term headwinds are soft NFL ratings and the risk that the Sky transaction is blocked by UK regulators."

The downgrade comes at a time when the NFL is negotiating two important distribution deals that end after this season: Verizon's $250 million a year streaming agreement and the $450 million a year Thursday Night Football deal for games shared by CBS and NBC.

Through five weeks, the league's ratings are substantially lower this season, according to Nielsen data obtained by Sporting News.

The league's average TV audience through Week 5 of the 2017 season dropped 7% vs. the same period of the 2016 season, and the average game audiences are down 18% compared to the first five weeks of the 2015 season. The NFL's average TV audience (including Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, Monday night and Thursday night games) slid to 15.156 million viewers through Week 5 of the 2017 season, down 7.42% from an average of 16.371 million viewers through the same period of the 2016 season, and 18% lower from the first five weeks of the 2015 season.

pigz

EastexHawg

The league's average TV audience through Week 5 of the 2017 season dropped 7% vs. the same period of the 2016 season, and the average game audiences are down 18% compared to the first five weeks of the 2015 season. The NFL's average TV audience (including Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, Monday night and Thursday night games) slid to 15.156 million viewers through Week 5 of the 2017 season, down 7.42% from an average of 16.371 million viewers through the same period of the 2016 season, and 18% lower from the first five weeks of the 2015 season.

Oops. 

In case anyone is wondering, this is exactly why Roger Goodell issued his statement to owners and players saying it will now be league policy to stand for the national anthem...and Jerry Jones went from locking arms and kneeling to saying anyone on his team who kneels will be benched.

This has been a case of a serious miscalculation by the commissioner, indignant owners and coaches, and of course the players themselves.  Colossal, in fact.  I think you would have to say the scoreboard reads...

Trump  1
NFL  0

pigz

elkhog

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on September 25, 2017, 04:42:13 pm
As we are all well aware, many people are boycotting the NFL, including not going to games, not watching the NFL on TV, and not purchasing NFL gear.  And even refusing to buy products from sponsors of players that refuse to stand for the national anthem.

You must vote to view results of the poll.

What is your take on the NFL issue?

My take is the time to protest is not during the Anthem.  Period.
GO HOGS!!!

BigBrandonAllenFan

There are only a couple of hours left to vote in this 21 day long poll.

Here is a fitting video to end the poll, of a banner flown over the Jaguars game yesterday.  Arkansas fans know the effects of banner flying better than anyone.  Note the empty seats in the stdium.  It is evident that the American people have made this boycott the real deal>

BigBrandonAllenFan

Here is a good shot of opening kickoff time at the Jags game yesterday>

BigBrandonAllenFan

October 16, 2017, 05:59:31 pm #91 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:55:51 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Final results of the 21 day long poll.  Thanks to all 91 people who participated in the voting. 

YES, I am participating in the national boycott of the NFL
- 48 (52.7%)

NO, I will not boycott the NFL
- 43 (47.3%)

Evidently, except for a few select teams like the Cowboys, fans were for real about boycotting, as evidenced by TV ratings and number of fans in the seats.  A few teams sold their stadium seats, but regardless, they still lost in the TV ratings. 

I don't think the NFL expected such a fallout.  I don't think the numbers are likely to turn upwards this season unless some major changes are made by the league.  I think a portion of the NFL fan base is gone for good, at least for a good long while.  I know I am not interested this season, and will continue to tune out the NFL, including the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

The NFL will have a big task ahead of them in the off season to try to get back up.  They have definitely been knocked down to an unprecedented low.

Kaepernick had a master plan to take a lot of other NFL players down with him.  It appears his plan worked.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Tickets to some NFL games could be bought for as low as $14.

Yesterday's game In Houston>

Yesterday's Jets vs Patriots game>

Yesterday's game in Atlanta>

BigBrandonAllenFan

October 16, 2017, 06:43:43 pm #93 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:56:55 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
What I find most hilariously ironic about the NFL down fall is, the liberal media are the ones that first zoomed in on Kaepernick and gave him the cameras and press that has led to this situation.  They continue now to badger fans who have walked away from the game, and continue to push for the side of the anthem disgracers, basically egging them on and causing further decline. 

The liberal media media has to know they are THE major cause of the current problem, moreso than Kap himself.  So, is the liberal media actually a conservative CEO conspiracy in disguise?  Are the CEO's actually Trump supporters using simple reverse psychology, using their own unknowing employees as pawns?

A person has to wonder.  Stranger things have happened.

pigture perfect

You know, I haven't really missed it. Been resting a lot better on Sunday afternoons.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy