Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Based on what you saw from the SEC

Started by MJ2, September 02, 2014, 10:54:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ2

What's your updated Hog forecast for the year?   

Tripod1

I'm still holding to my 6-6 prediction.

hogsanity

Still 6-6, but one of the SEc games I thought the Hogs might get was Ga, now I just hope Gurley does not go for 250 on the Hogs.

Still think the Hogs split with the Miss schools, but if they don't beat Ga at home, not sure where the other SEC win will come from. Oddly enough the best shot may be LSu because our Dl might be able to do what they did last year, handle the running game, and I don't think LSu is going to be very good in the pass game all season.  That is the kind of team that might let the Hogs hang around and maybe the Hogs pull it out late.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DoctorSusscrofa

I'm leaning more 5-7.  Earlier I had thought 6-6 was likely.  I feel ok about us, but aTm looked better than I thought and Miss State looked better than Ole Miss to me.  I still think we'll get all 4 non-conference wins (but Tech will be the hardest) and I think we'll get one conference win.  We still might get 2, but I think the competition is slightly stiffer further down the schedule than I originally thought it would be.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

NaturalStateReb

5 wins, 6 possible.

They'll definitely beat all the nonconference opponents--Taco Tech has no defense.

I think Mizzou is a probable win.  They've got find one more to get bowl eligible. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hogsanity on September 02, 2014, 11:08:41 am
Still 6-6, but one of the SEc games I thought the Hogs might get was Ga, now I just hope Gurley does not go for 250 on the Hogs.

Still think the Hogs split with the Miss schools, but if they don't beat Ga at home, not sure where the other SEC win will come from. Oddly enough the best shot may be LSu because our Dl might be able to do what they did last year, handle the running game, and I don't think LSu is going to be very good in the pass game all season.  That is the kind of team that might let the Hogs hang around and maybe the Hogs pull it out late.

I wouldn't bank on UGA being a win at this point.  They're much better than I supposed.  They killed Clemson this weekend.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogsanity

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 02, 2014, 11:16:20 am
I wouldn't bank on UGA being a win at this point.  They're much better than I supposed.  They killed Clemson this weekend.

That's my point, I am NOT counting on beating GA now after seeing them play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 02, 2014, 11:16:20 am

I know, and that stinks.  All off season it seemed like every other week they lost someone out of the secondary for one reason or another, and then some "in the know" SEC writer said their defense looked abysmal in scrimmages.  I was hopeful.  It's waning, but maybe Clemson just ain't that good???

I just hope we find a way to eek out 6 wins and get to a bowl.  It would help everything from moral to recruiting...not to mention the additional practice time that we desperately need.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 02, 2014, 11:19:41 am
I know, and that stinks.  All off season it seemed like every other week they lost someone out of the secondary for one reason or another, and then some "in the know" SEC writer said their defense looked abysmal in scrimmages.  I was hopeful.  It's waning, but maybe Clemson just ain't that good???

I just hope we find a way to eek out 6 wins and get to a bowl.  It would help everything from moral to recruiting...not to mention the additional practice time that we desperately need.   

The problem right now is that our receivers are going to make even an average secondary look pretty good, and our secondary is going to have problems with any team that has a big physical WR.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Still 6-6.  Some teams start slow then get on a roll.  Some look like world beaters then by week 8 are limping to the finish.  Least impressive impressive win was Ole P.  We never know what's going to happen with LSU.  MSU did what they were supposed to do against USM.  Mizzou played S Dak St, not to be confused with N Dak State.

TAMU was the eye opener where they may have been in that pool of 50-50 chance to win and I'd say after that performance against USC those odds have gone down to like 20-80, but that's why we play the games.

A lot of things can happen between now and the end of November.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Sir Oinksalot

I'm more optimistic after the first game...we played great in the first half against a top 10 team
in a hostile environment.  I really believe had there not been so many distractions (elevator-gate,
the storm and extremely long delay, and a couple huge mistakes) and had this been a normal
situational type football game which it was not, our optimism now would be off the chart.

The things outside of football that happened took our young guys minds off the game and our
concentration was unable to return once it was lost.......6-7 wins and bowl, we are getting close...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on September 02, 2014, 11:24:39 am
I'm more optimistic after the first game...we played great in the first half against a top 10 team
in a hostile environment.  I really believe had there not been so many distractions (elevator-gate,
the storm and extremely long delay, and a couple huge mistakes) and had this been a normal
situational type football game which it was not, our optimism now would be off the chart.

The things outside of football that happened took our young guys minds off the game and our
concentration was unable to return once it was lost.......6-7 wins and bowl, we are getting close...

WR's, depth, defensive improvement.  That's what we need.  We can sugar coat that all we want, but we saw that our firsts can compete when they're fresh, but we wore out.  We lack the depth to compete for four quarters against a team as talented and deep as Auburn.  But...we're getting there.  It just doesn't happen overnight.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Atlhogfan1

It's going to depend on how quickly the freshmen can contribute.  Ragnow is going to have to play.  Looks like we are going to need a freshman wr contribute.  Defense has to have freshman to provide depth.  If we can keep close to the same team we started with at AU and some of the freshmen can manage to not be liabilities most plays, then we have a chance to catch a flat SEC team or two.  Perhaps OM at home considering they'll be playing their first real game in a few weeks when they come to Fay and Freeze has shown no desire or ability to have more than a Bo Wallace led passing game offensively. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MissippHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 02, 2014, 11:24:38 am
A lot of things can happen between now and the end of November.
Exactly.  Which is why I'm just going to enjoy this season one weekend at a time.

Sir Oinksalot

I see our receivers as being adequate, no one feels worse that Hatcher but it happens, and it was a tough catch, imo.
and our defense and 2nd units are at least as good as in the past...I think we will see this later. AU will give a lot of people
fits this yr.......

I believe we lost our focus with all that happened and we are more like what we saw in the first half than the second half...
I also believe Chaney lost his focus or something, I mean, he SAID he ran the same plays in the second half as the first...
What even gave him that impression !?!?

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Dr. Starcs

Sticking with 4-8.
However, 6 wouldn't surprise me.

Razorfox

My guess after week one:

Nicholls - W
TX Tech - W
NIU - W
TX A&M - L
Alabama - L
Georgia - L
UAB - W
MSU - Too close to call
LSU - L
Ole Miss - W
Mizzou - W

31to6

Quote from: MJ2 on September 02, 2014, 10:54:43 am
What's your updated Hog forecast for the year?   
Ole Miss is vulnerable, mostly because Bo Wallace is, well, not smart. Their defense is *very* good however.
LSU is vulnerable and we have them at home.
Tceh is terrible. They may shore it up in time for our game, but I like our chances given how they looked in their first game.

Missouri is about what I expected. But that game is so late in the year that neither the Hogs nor the Tigers will be who we saw this week. Who knows? We should be able to stay on the field with them talent-wise, but they have better depth. Their secondary is pretty good and they always have stiff run defense which could pose problems if we are still struggling to pass the ball in November.

On the other hand:
Alabama is Alabama. They are not going to be hurt by their QB situation. The 1964 celebration might give us the emotion for a win, but I fear they will pull away in the 2nd half on depth-of-talent.

Georgia is better than expected. Much better. We may see them blow us out of the stadium if we are not careful.

aTm is much better than I expected. I had them as a toss-up but their QB looked, well, awesome and their defense was better than expected. They looked like their Top-25 ranking in week one.

MSU will be hard to beat. They are a complete team.

I am still sticking with 6 wins, but that is mostly based on the notion that we will win one of the "tossups" and pull a big upset.

ARtillahog

Quote from: MissippHog on September 02, 2014, 11:36:36 am
Exactly.  Which is why I'm just going to enjoy this season one weekend at a time.

#1-0

DeltaBoy

The SEC not as dominate as in years past.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Theolesnort

Quote from: hawgon on September 02, 2014, 11:07:38 am
I don't see a win in the SEC.  I thought A&M might be much worse...but obviously, they aren't.  Georgia looks like the best team in the SEC right now.  The best shot looks like Ole Miss.  If it was at home, we might have a chance at Mizzou, but I'm not seeing it with it being in Columbia and them being able to put up so many points.

So, we may, and I'm hopeful that we will find a way to get one or two, if I were forced to bet money on it, I would have to say that we won't win an SEC game for the second year in a row.
Athletically Georgia and Auburn are very comparable. Where Auburn puts Georgia in the shade is scheme and coaching wise. People may have a dislike for Malzahn but as a coach he is like a computer program, no emotion that affects his decision making. He is cold and calculating and makes few mistakes on the offensive end of things and he has the best in Ellis who is running the defense. And then there is coach Dye behind the scenes among others who is involved with making sure the talent is great and stays great no mater the cost. Oh and SEC games, more than likely we will win two.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Theolesnort on September 02, 2014, 01:08:22 pm
Athletically Georgia and Auburn are very comparable. Where Auburn puts Georgia in the shade is scheme and coaching wise. People may have a dislike for Malzahn but as a coach he is like a computer program, no emotion that affects his decision making. He is cold and calculating and makes few mistakes on the offensive end of things and he has the best in Ellis who is running the defense. And then there is coach Dye behind the scenes among others who is involved with making sure the talent is great and stays great no mater the cost. Oh and SEC games more than likely we will win two.

I don't buy Ellis's hero status. He is not in the same league as Malzahn as a coordinator. His preparation seems pretty soggy, but Johnson makes good calls at key moments. He's better at seeing and adjusting than he is at developing a game plan. Malzahn is too.
[CENSORED]!

JudgeHogg

JudgeHogg

Biggus Piggus

September 02, 2014, 01:27:18 pm #24 Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:48:24 pm by Biggus Piggus
My range was 5-7 to 7-5. The 7-5 would be Nicholls, T-Tech, NIU, UAB, two from the list of LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, and one from the list of Georgia, Missouri.

Georgia's schedule suddenly looks a lot less imposing. They go to South Carolina, then Troy, Tennessee and Vandy at home. Road trip to Missouri is right before Georgia visits Arkansas. Georgia's going to steamroll people until they get to Mizzou. Then - unclear. Anyway, the odds of Georgia losing it down the stretch suddenly seem pretty low.

That leaves us with Missouri being the possible win No. 7. They have to play at South Carolina, home vs. Georgia, then at Florida. Nobody's seen the Gators yet, but they are going to be good. Mizzou also has road trips to College Station and Knoxville in November before finishing with the Hogs.

LSU ought to be a good game. Ole Miss ought to be a good game. MSU should be too. And who knows what Alabama's offense (and defense) will look like by October.

Edit: Forgot to mention Texas A&M. It was one from the list of Georgia, Missouri and the Aggies. I am not going to anoint TAM the new national champs because of their game at Columbia. As good as the Ags played, the Cocks were surprisingly bad. Wouldn't have been a surprise had I glanced at their depth chart before the game. Their defense is really down.

Arkansas looked shaky enough in the secondary at Auburn to make the TAM game seem a lot scarier.
[CENSORED]!

alohawg

First half Arkansas 7-5

Second half Arkansas 5-7
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Theolesnort

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 02, 2014, 11:54:56 am
What is that statement based upon? Some pundit praising the Pac 12? The SEC lead the nation in winning out of conference games this week. Are you aware that of the three ranked teams that lost to out of conference opponents all three were victims of SEC teams. While it may be true that Bama is down this year you can be sure that as they mature they will be Bama again before the season is over. This Pac 12 crap is just that crap until the proof is in the eating of the pudding. Basically this is just some more SEC fatigue showing up. People in other parts of the country are sick of SEC dominance so they just manufacture stuff to ease their own minds.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

MountieDawg

SEC!

Theolesnort

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 02, 2014, 01:12:27 pm
I don't buy Ellis's hero status. He is not in the same league as Malzahn as a coordinator. His preparation seems pretty soggy, but Johnson makes good calls at key moments. He's better at seeing and adjusting than he is at developing a game plan. Malzahn is too.
OK but Steve Superior would have him back in a heart beat, I can betcha that much. ;D

Theolesnort

Quote from: hawgon on September 02, 2014, 01:31:08 pm
I don't know why anyone thinks Bama is down.  Their first game?  First games are really bad gauges of any team and West Virginia runs the HUNH.  If Saban has a weakness, it is teams running the HUNH.
Saying Bama is down is a relative term. This is not a vintage Saban team. They are talented though but very young in spots for them.

PorkSoda

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 02, 2014, 11:18:29 am
7-5
I'm holding on to this, and I actually feel like it is more possible after the first game.

we have a legit team, just not championship caliber.  we are going to win some games this year.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

trashcan maN

Wins: Nich St, NIU, UAB

Must Wins: TTU

Can Win(Need 2 from this group): LSU, Ole Miss, Missouri, MSST

We're going to be cutting it close unless we really surprise a Bama or Georgia.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Theolesnort on September 02, 2014, 01:41:19 pm
Saying Bama is down is a relative term. This is not a vintage Saban team. They are talented though but very young in spots for them.

The influence of Lane Kiffin has only begun to seep through the pores of the Alabama program.
[CENSORED]!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 02, 2014, 01:49:26 pm
The influence of Lane Kiffin has only begun to seep through the pores of the Alabama program.

Yeah, I don't see this ending well.  Shocked Saban hired him.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

NaturalStateReb

So, so true.  It's a curse like having an ex-Cubs player on the roster.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Theolesnort on September 02, 2014, 01:41:19 pm

Like their 2010 team.  Which still beat Arkansas and finished with 10 wins.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 02, 2014, 01:41:48 pm
I'm holding on to this, and I actually feel like it is more possible after the first game.

we have a legit team, just not championship caliber.  we are going to win some games this year.
If we do go 7-5, we'll be the best 7-5 football team in the history of forever.  Our schedule is brutal.

bphi11ips

Hogs could end up as the best 4-8 team in history.  We will be the underdog in every SEC game.

On the other hand, we might finish 8-4 or better with an East schedule. 

We'll manage an SEC win or two and play some good football at times along the way.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PonderinHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 02, 2014, 02:04:43 pm
Hogs could end up as the best 4-8 team in history.  We will be the underdog in every SEC game.

On the other hand, we might finish 8-4 or better with an East schedule. 

We'll manage an SEC win or two and play some good football at times along the way.
Seriously, aren't we closer to all the SEC-E teams than Mizzou is?  Kentucky doesn't count.

Maximus Tusk

Quote from: Razorfox on September 02, 2014, 11:47:26 am
My guess after week one:

Nicholls - W
TX Tech - W
NIU - W
TX A&M - L
Alabama - L
Georgia - L
UAB - W
MSU - Too close to call
LSU - L
Ole Miss - W
Mizzou - W
Don't see us beating Ole Miss. Their offense is weak but our secondary could make Bo Wallace look like an All American. It's so frustrating watching lack of coverage and the missed tackles. The ole miss defense is pretty nasty. They know how to lock on to the ball carrier and get him to the ground. It's puzzling to me why our DB's think they can throw a shoulder into the ball carrier and they are supposed to go down. Also, it doesn't matter is you're running a 4.2 40 speed as you blow by the punt returner. I guess I'm just frustrated...I'll get over it.

Granny fan

razorbackkid

Gonna be a tough year....I'm hoping we get a win in conference.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

The Kig

Not much changed.... at least from the win total standpoint.  Where the wins could come from was what changed.

A&M looked like the #2 team in the SEC.  Auburn probably moved from #2 to #1.  Bama is at #3 or #4 depending on how good Georgia turns out to be.

Didn't really see much out of Ole Miss till late in that game.  Score didn't really show how close it was.

Wisky was abusing LSU for a good chunk of that game... but a Miles Miracle got them back on track and they won.

Georgia looked good, but remember that Clemson lost a ton from a team that got boat-raced by Florida State last year. 

South Carolina has terrible corners, but not sure that helps us much...

Miss St looked pretty good, but it was Southern Miss.

BAMA was probably the 2nd biggest surprise.  Offense was respectable, but the Defense was shockingly average.  Missed tackles and assignments against a team that went 4-8 last year kept W. VA in that game way longer than should have been possible against a top tier SEC team.  Guessing Saban has the D worked out by our game.

Still think we can win 6-7, but more likely 6. 
Poker Porker

Hawginthecovers

Quote from: alohawg on September 02, 2014, 01:27:58 pm
First half Arkansas 7-5

Second half Arkansas 5-7

I'll even do ya one better. 

8-4
4-8

Offense was in great form in first half.  Enough to beat a couple of teams that we were not counting on.  Watching the second half, we are winless in the SEC.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Hogs 4-8

West:
Auburn
A&M
Bama
LSU
State
Ol Miss
Arkansas

East:
UGA
SC
UT
UMizz
UK
Vandy

Not sure where to put florida at this point, but probably just above Tenner

FootballFanatic89

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 02, 2014, 11:54:56 am

There is no way that is a serious remark. The SEC west alone could've had 6 teams ranked (Miss State should be ranked).

razorbackkid

Quote from: FootballFanatic89 on September 02, 2014, 04:49:42 pm
There is no way that is a serious remark. The SEC west alone could've had 6 teams ranked (Miss State should be ranked).
The SEC should have 6 teams in the four playoff spots.  :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Theolesnort

I take it you are not a fan. ROFL ;D

westside_player