Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Things falling in place for ASU

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, March 10, 2013, 09:45:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WashUhog6

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 12, 2013, 06:48:07 am
Because the NIT (Not In Tournament) sucks and is not postseason play.  It's exhibition play is its anything.  A step in the right direction is getting to the NCAA Tournament, nothing else.
The last four years we haven't even been good enough for the NIT. Would you rather us make that a fifth year?

By its very definition, going from not good enough for the NIT to good enough for the NIT is progress. Again, no one said that the NIT should be the goal.

Dogtown Donkey

Because the NIT (Not In Tournament) sucks and is not postseason play.  It's exhibition play is its anything.  A step in the right direction is getting to the NCAA Tournament, nothing else.

You're being a belligerent fool.

Music City Razorback

Quote from: UCAhog6 on March 12, 2013, 11:14:46 am
The last four years we haven't even been good enough for the NIT. Would you rather us make that a fifth year?

By its very definition, going from not good enough for the NIT to good enough for the NIT is progress. Again, no one said that the NIT should be the goal.
You're either dead or alive.  You either make the tournament or you don't.  There is no inbetween.  NIT just means you didn't make the tournament.
"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

WashUhog6

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 12, 2013, 02:33:25 pm
You're either dead or alive.  You either make the tournament or you don't.  There is no inbetween.  NIT just means you didn't make the tournament.

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on March 12, 2013, 02:29:32 pm
You're being a belligerent fool.

Dropkick

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 12, 2013, 02:33:25 pm
In your opinion, which you are entitled to.

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hogeye_Pierce

Don't let Music City Whatever he is see this video. It'll probably give him a heart attack.

Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

Music City Razorback

Quote from: Breems on March 12, 2013, 03:27:39 pm
What a 'tard.
Maybe I am, Breems.  We'll see how many feel the way I do when we host our first game.  We averaged 13,750 for every home game.  Any guess how many will show up for an NIT game?  With so much excitement, I assume you're saying we will have more than our regular season games since we are in 'postseason' play.  I, however, suspect 1/2 this number - thus proving my point.  Proof will be in the numbers, bro.
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

Breems

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 12, 2013, 05:55:18 pm
Maybe I am, Breems.  We'll see how many feel the way I do when we host our first game.  We averaged 13,750 for every home game.  Any guess how many will show up for an NIT game?  With so much excitement, I assume you're saying we will have more than our regular season games since we are in 'postseason' play.  I, however, suspect 1/2 this number - thus proving my point.  Proof will be in the numbers, bro.

You're one of those black or white types with no room for grey areas.

To each his own. NIT is progress for me.

Nipsey Mussle

Those hating on the NIT are the fans I typically consider to be stuck in the mid 1990s like modern versions of Uncle Rico. Newsflash: This program has been down for a very long time now. Making the NIT this year is a step in the right direction toward rectifying that.

Breems

Quote from: Clay (helmuthjr21) C on March 12, 2013, 06:01:29 pm
Those hating on the NIT are the fans I typically consider to be stuck in the mid 1990s like modern versions of Uncle Rico. Newsflash: This program has been down for a very long time now. Making the NIT this year is a step in the right direction to rectifying that.

Yes.

As I said in another thread, there are two types of people who hate on the NIT relentlessly: Those still stuck in the past and those who refuse to accept any signs of progress in the program.

Dogtown Donkey

It's really quite simple.

Teams that get invited to the NIT had better seasons than teams that didn't.

So, if you don't get invited to the NIT for 4 years, and then you do the next year.......guess what?

Ya got a little better.

Doesn't matter if it isn't good enough for you, it's still better. By DEFINITION.

Music City Razorback

Our program is just down, guys.  I'm tired of not making the Dance.  I'll be sitting in Bridgestone Arena in 48 hours watching us lose to Vanderbilt.  Reality.  I just need it to be different....how much more of this can we stand?  It's sad we haven't been even to the Sweet 16 since 1996.  We're closing in on 20 years.  If the NIT is progress, I'll acce[t that, but we better be in the big show next year.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 12, 2013, 06:42:23 pm
Our program is just down, guys.  I'm tired of not making the Dance.  I'll be sitting in Bridgestone Arena in 48 hours watching us lose to Vanderbilt.  Reality.  I just need it to be different....how much more of this can we stand?  It's sad we haven't been even to the Sweet 16 since 1996.  We're closing in on 20 years.  If the NIT is progress, I'll acce[t that, but we better be in the big show next year.

Isn't it more accurate to say it was down?  Arkansas won several games this year that provided signs of the uptick, I don't know why you drive yourself into misery by using NCAA Tournament criterion as your only instrument of measuring progress.

I'm also miffed as to why people expect Anderson, with one recruiting class, to fix this program and return it to national prominence after it's been sitting on the post-season curb for years now.  I've seen nobody.... and I mean nobody ... say they prefer the NIT over the NCAA.  I along with many others, prefer the NIT over sitting at home for yet another year.  It is progress. 

Music City Razorback

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 12, 2013, 07:07:25 pm
Isn't it more accurate to say it was down?  Arkansas won several games this year that provided signs of the uptick, I don't know why you drive yourself into misery by using NCAA Tournament criterion as your only instrument of measuring progress.

I'm also miffed as to why people expect Anderson, with one recruiting class, to fix this program and return it to national prominence after it's been sitting on the post-season curb for years now.  I've seen nobody.... and I mean nobody ... say they prefer the NIT over the NCAA.  I along with many others, prefer the NIT over sitting at home for yet another year.  It is progress.
Easy for you to say since KU is fighting for #1 seeds each year!  ;D

RockChalkJayhawk

Dude, you cannot mean this.  The NIT is most definitely post-season play.  Exhibition? Come on now, that is just crazy.  It's a respected tournament in which if you lose, you go home, while the victor advances to the next round. Nothing exhibitionist about that.  And don't tell me the Garden is hosting the finals as an exhibition event.  The NIT finals are bigtime.

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 12, 2013, 07:37:19 am
Liberty Bowl is recognized.  NIT is NOT like the Liberty Bowl, but more like the North/South game.  The only reason the NIT is recognized by many is the years its been around.  It meant something long ago when 16 teams made the NCAA Tournament, but not now when 68 teams reach the field. 

Yeah, the Liberty Bowl is recognized as a bowl you play in if your season sucked, right?  We all understand why Petrino's club ended up there, and felt good about it at the time.  But the Liberty Bowl was no longer the goal of his program, not in the least.  If anything is an exhibition it's the Liberty Bowl.  The ONLY bowl game that matters is the National Championship.  All other bowl games are the purest form of exhibition game there is.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 12, 2013, 07:11:44 pm
Easy for you to say since KU is fighting for #1 seeds each year!  ;D

Look, I get that, but I'm not here on some kind of KU promotional.  If the roles were reversed, I'd be happy with signs of progress, absolutely.  I feel your frustration, but hate to see you resort to such extreme thinking regarding the potential of the NIT for the Hogs.

I know you want to be in the NCAA, but that isn't happening unless a miracle takes place in Nashville.  The NIT is closer to the NCAA than sitting at home is. 

*Tell ya what MCR, if the Hogs host a first-round NIT game, I am buying your ticket.  Deal ?

Music City Razorback

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 12, 2013, 07:21:23 pm
Look, I get that, but I'm not here on some kind of KU promotional.  If the roles were reversed, I'd be happy with signs of progress, absolutely.  I feel your frustration, but hate to see you resort to such extreme thinking regarding the potential of the NIT for the Hogs.

I know you want to be in the NCAA, but that isn't happening unless a miracle takes place in Nashville.  The NIT is closer to the NCAA than sitting at home is. 

*Tell ya what MCR, if the Hogs host a first-round NIT game, I am buying your ticket.  Deal ?
I'd take you up for it if I weren't 550 miles away.  I'll go to every game this weekend in the SECT and hope we somehow earn an at-large bid.

Music City Razorback

Quote from: HoginClinton on March 12, 2013, 06:52:39 pm
This isn't directed at you, but to the board in general because I have seen many post that next year is the key or breakout year. If either or both BJ and Marshawn leave, who is going to lead us to the NCAA? That could be 30 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists a game that will need to be replaced.
This is my point...how can the NIT be progress if the two who made us progress are leaving?  Progress would be for the players to still be around the next year.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 12, 2013, 07:53:36 pm
I'd take you up for it if I weren't 550 miles away.  I'll go to every game this weekend in the SECT and hope we somehow earn an at-large bid.

Fair enough.  But if and when the time comes, if you can make it, pm me.  I will have a ticket for you.

Breems

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 12, 2013, 08:25:51 pm
Fair enough.  But if and when the time comes, if you can make it, pm me.  I will have a ticket for you.

I hate the NIT too!

Music City Razorback

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 12, 2013, 08:25:51 pm
Thanks, bro!

PonderinHog

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Breems on March 12, 2013, 08:44:02 pm
I hate the NIT too!

LOL, I see what you did there!  I thought students get a sweet hookup on this one?  If not, pm me when the time comes.

Hog Pharm

Obviously the NIT means something because there is an NIT championship banner hanging from the rafters in BWA

Music City Razorback

Quote from: ljean on March 13, 2013, 12:33:15 am
Obviously the NIT means something because there is an NIT championship banner hanging from the rafters in BWA
There is?  When did this happen?

Modsquad24

that's a womens NIT championship banner from the Gary Blair days hanging in the rafters at BWA