Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hawgon, EastexHawg, Jeff Anderson

Started by WilsonHog, October 08, 2017, 07:32:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

I owe each of you an apology, an attaboy, an acknowledgement, whatever you want to call it. Likely a few other posters as well.

Five years ago you trashed the hiring of Bret Bielema, and I ridiculed you for it. Moderated your posts. Issued a few bans. I wanted the Bielema hire to work, and I purposely looked over the fact that the hire was misplaced; good resume, bad fit. Bielema's style of offense can work at places like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska - but not in the SEC, certainly not at Arkansas with him at the helm. I didn't want to admit it at the time, but it certainly looks like the spread concepts of Petrino, Leach, Briles, etc. gives us the better chance of success. We don't have the recruiting base or the national profile to sign enough athletes to make a more traditional approach work.

As for Jeff Long, I missed the boat on him as well. Great marketer. Very good bean counter. Lousy at negotiating coaching buyouts. I hope his next job is all that he wants it to be, I hope he gets it soon, and I hope his successor has Arkansas roots.

Bubba's Bruisers

I was waiting for one of Wilson's multi-personality posts.  And this one is right on the money.  For now.

So Until next week...

Juuuuuuuust kidding.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Wants2Win

Wilson I forgive you for banning me....I just want better for this program and have all along.

PorkRinds

As if their heads weren't big enough already...

shown006

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 08, 2017, 07:32:32 pm
I owe each of you an apology, an attaboy, an acknowledgement, whatever you want to call it. Likely a few other posters as well.

Five years ago you trashed the hiring of Bret Bielema, and I ridiculed you for it. Moderated your posts. Issued a few bans. I wanted the Bielema hire to work, and I purposely looked over the fact that the hire was misplaced; good resume, bad fit. Bielema's style of offense can work at places like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska - but not in the SEC, certainly not at Arkansas with him at the helm. I didn't want to admit it at the time, but it certainly looks like the spread concepts of Petrino, Leach, Briles, etc. gives us the better chance of success. We don't have the recruiting base or the national profile to sign enough athletes to make a more traditional approach work.

As for Jeff Long, I missed the boat on him as well. Great marketer. Very good bean counter. Lousy at negotiating coaching buyouts. I hope his next job is all that he wants it to be, I hope he gets it soon, and I hope his successor has Arkansas roots.

Decent post.
WPS!

JOKERHOG

You banned some very good and correct posters
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

McKdaddy

By Tuesday will we still be able to criticize CBB? 
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jgphillips3

I got in trouble for panning the Bielema hire too.  Then, after 2014 and the 2015 finish, I thought I might have been wrong.  Now, the reasons I thought he was a bad fit have panned out.  It sucks.  I wish I had been wrong back then and we were riding high.  I wish you guys jumping us for thinking he was a bad hire had been right.  All we can do now is wait for the inevitable...together.

Atlhogfan1

Petrino offense not a spread.  Pro style offense.

https://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/3/5/4062684/bobby-petrino-profile-wku-arkansas-football

Bielema wanted to install pro offense too. Failed.

Eastex doubt of Bielema was fine.  The Petrino obsession was too much. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Porked Tongue

Being turd is being a turd.

Being correct in hindsight doesn't excuse it.

Roaringboar

Welcome to the Non-Bielemers Association......We're always recruiting new members.....
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 08, 2017, 07:36:24 pm
I was waiting for one of Wilson's multi-personality posts.  And this one is right on the money.  For now.

So Until next week...

Juuuuuuuust kidding.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogs-n-Roses

Your stock just hit an all time high Wilson.

WilsonHog

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 08, 2017, 07:50:50 pm
You banned some very good and correct posters

Well, I do know I moderated based on my own biases.

Roaringboar

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 08, 2017, 08:01:20 pm
Well, I do know I moderated based on my own biases.

I'm sensing this is a bogus apolgoy for some reason simply because when he says "You posted some good and correct posters" rather than saying, "You're right, I did" You're saying, "Well, I do know I moderated on my own biases" or in other words "Whatever, I don't mean this crap. I'm right, you're wrong, but now there's too many fans who realize that Bielema isn't worth a crap so I'd better hop on the bandwagon before I get left behind".......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

porkrindjimmy

Ahem....ummmm...

PRJ

SemperFi

I fell for the Bielema hire as well. He promised my kind of football and I bit on it hook, line and sinker. I wanted this hire to work badly, so badly that I failed miserably to see the big picture...the how do we recruit that kind of player picture. I'm as pissed at myself as I am at Jeff Long for the hire. Hopefully, we'll see change at the end of season if not sooner.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Kevin

I was wrong. I thought he was a good hire. P5 head coaches just don't move. to get one, I thought was a smooth move by long. boy, how wrong I was.

I want both to be gone. start over. raising money, and managing the 40 million from the league, is a job most ad's can do.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Bebop

I gave him a fair chance until year three. I changed my mind after that year, in spite of the LSU and bowl win. I am of the theory that by year three one can tell if a coach is going to work or not, with some notable exceptions.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 08, 2017, 07:55:47 pm
Being turd is being a turd.

Being correct in hindsight doesn't excuse it.

Exactamundo.

moses_007

While quite a few of us weren't estatic over the hire of Bielema, we looked at what he had done at Wisconsin and hoped he could pull off the same thing here.  It just hasn't worked out for numerous reasons, and I think it is mainly because of how bullheaded he is.  He resists change, even though it clearly doesn't work.  He won't replace a quarterback when he's having a bad day.  He keeps wanting to grind out a three yards and cloud of dust type of game, and this year he doesn't even have an offensive line good enough to do that.....

What amazes me right now is everytime a runner or receiver makes a great play, they come right out of the game and a replacement comes in.  Why sub for a player that is hot and making great plays?  A blind man should know that isn't a good plan.  I think that's the real reason why this year's team has no rhythm to its offense.......

presidenthog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 08, 2017, 07:55:32 pm
Petrino offense not a spread.  Pro style offense.

https://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/3/5/4062684/bobby-petrino-profile-wku-arkansas-football

Bielema wanted to install pro offense too. Failed.

Eastex doubt of Bielema was fine.  The Petrino obsession was too much.

Petrino was a power spread here. A spread team with some power concepts. He now runs primarily an RPO spread.

PonderinHog

hassettsportsman

Let any Bielema/Long supporters make their case!  Holy Toledo...if we lose to Coastal Carolina, Bielema should be fired immediately.  Long will not have the fortitude to do so.  Thus, both will be gone after this season.  Neither one ever bought in to the Arkansas Way!  They both have gone to the SEC trough too often.  The new AD must have an Arkansas connection to restore faith.  The new head coach must be young and not a retread and be able to recruit where it counts...Texas and the Deep South.  There are several candidates for both positions who will garner support immediately and eliminate the negativity and bind the wounds of the Hog nation!  I'm expecting FOR SALE signs in the Long/Bielema front yards.  They are not one of us...make it two!   

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 08, 2017, 08:38:20 pm
Not even an honorable mention...

Lol.....

Wilson didn't even invite me to the ceremony.

PRJ

KennyForAD

As for Jeff Long, I missed the boat on him as well. Great marketer. Very good bean counter. Lousy at negotiaching buyouts. I hope his next job is all that he wants it to be, I hope he gets it soon, and I hope his successor has Arkansas roots.

No worries, brutha!  I've heard the moans of a thousand lost souls today, but 
... ... ... 
PRAISE THE LORD, IT IS A GREAT DAY, BECAUSE THIS DAY, WILSON SAW THE LIGHT! 

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Bebop on October 08, 2017, 08:28:56 pm
I gave him a fair chance until year three. I changed my mind after that year, in spite of the LSU and bowl win. I am of the theory that by year three one can tell if a coach is going to work or not, with some notable exceptions.

this was me, more or less.

by the third year all the stuff we've vomited out over the last 5 years was a recognizable pattern.

i forego examples here because they'd never end and have been beaten to death....
The rest of the frog.

rude1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 08, 2017, 07:53:53 pm
I got in trouble for panning the Bielema hire too.  Then, after 2014 and the 2015 finish, I thought I might have been wrong.  Now, the reasons I thought he was a bad fit have panned out.  It sucks.  I wish I had been wrong back then and we were riding high.  I wish you guys jumping us for thinking he was a bad hire had been right.  All we can do now is wait for the inevitable...together.
^^This. Lot of posters caught flack for not lock stepping behind this hire, didn't matter if you use stats and other evidence to support your position why this was going to be a bad idea, you were labeled a "troll", bobby lover", and threatened with ban if you didn't shut up and get in line with the lock step behind the great CBB!!!!! I let it go and here we sit today...............

ballz2thewall

Quote from: moses_007 on October 08, 2017, 08:34:30 pm
While quite a few of us weren't estatic over the hire of Bielema, we looked at what he had done at Wisconsin and hoped he could pull off the same thing here.  It just hasn't worked out for numerous reasons, and I think it is mainly because of how bullheaded he is.  He resists change, even though it clearly doesn't work.  He won't replace a quarterback when he's having a bad day.  He keeps wanting to grind out a three yards and cloud of dust type of game, and this year he doesn't even have an offensive line good enough to do that.....

What amazes me right now is everytime a runner or receiver makes a great play, they come right out of the game and a replacement comes in.  Why sub for a player that is hot and making great plays?  A blind man should know that isn't a good plan.  I think that's the real reason why this year's team has no rhythm to its offense.......

hell yes on the injured qb. remember how badly branden allen was hurt at missouri in the 2d quarter, and cheney loaded him up with constant passes?

examples of lousy gaming is abundant.
The rest of the frog.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Kevin on October 08, 2017, 08:28:11 pm
I was wrong. I thought he was a good hire. P5 head coaches just don't move. to get one, I thought was a smooth move by long. boy, how wrong I was.

I want both to be gone. start over. raising money, and managing the 40 million from the league, is a job most ad's can do.
Hey, me too Kevin...I'm guilty as all  get out.  I thought he could coach.

Wowzie....boy was I wrong on that one!

KennyForAD

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: presidenthog on October 08, 2017, 08:36:35 pm
Petrino was a power spread here. A spread team with some power concepts. He now runs primarily an RPO spread.

Tell Petrino.

RME

Quote from: hassettsportsman on October 08, 2017, 08:39:02 pm
Let any Bielema/Long supporters make their case!  Holy Toledo...if we lose to Coastal Carolina, Bielema should be fired immediately.  Long will not have the fortitude to do so.  Thus, both will be gone after this season.  Neither one ever bought in to the Arkansas Way!  They both have gone to the SEC trough too often.  The new AD must have an Arkansas connection to restore faith. The new head coach must be young and not a retread and be able to recruit where it counts...Texas and the Deep South.  There are several candidates for both positions who will garner support immediately and eliminate the negativity and bind the wounds of the Hog nation!  I'm expecting FOR SALE signs in the Long/Bielema front yards.  They are not one of us...make it two!

Not sure of where the majority of our current players are from, are you?

Hey Josey, it isn't 1865.

This overall agenda of this thread is extremely cringe-worthy.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on October 08, 2017, 08:49:08 pm
Hey, me too Kevin...I'm guilty as all  get out.  I thought he could coach.

Wowzie....boy was I wrong on that one!

LOVE YOU.  THANK YOU!

Dirty

So now we will go bet Alabama and the world will be right? 

KennyForAD

Its a great day for the Kenny For AD Committee!   Thank you Wilson.  Love you!

Please allow me to celebrate a little, sir....

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Bebop on October 08, 2017, 08:28:56 pm

I started turning that year as well. But for me year one there were a few red flags that this wasn't going to be a good hire. Rutgers, Miss St and LSU were all winnable games. A better coach would of won one of those games. Perhaps two out of three. A good coach wouldn't of went 0 for the conference.

B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

JaketheSnake

I've held out hope even over the last week... but yesterday was embarrassing.  I've only turned off one other hog game this decade and I turned off the game yesterday.  Still think the guy is doing a lot right, but he needs to go. 

moses_007

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 08, 2017, 09:06:30 pm
I've held out hope even over the last week... but yesterday was embarrassing.  I've only turned off one other hog game this decade and I turned off the game yesterday.  Still think the guy is doing a lot right, but he needs to go. 
I turned it off too, when things got ugly.  Tired at getting mad and upset at this team.  I can do other things on a Saturday instead of watching us get slaughtered.

Mo_Better_Hogs

With all due respect to Wilson and all the guys he's congratulating—isn't it a 50/50 proposition as to whether or not a coach will work out? Did they guess right based on a coin flip, or did they truly have some amazing insight into our program and Bielema? Just seems like a hollow victory, if that's how they feel. Now, if we hire Saban and they say he won't work at Arkansas, THEN I'll be impressed!

And let me add that I respect those guys' posts for the most part. I'll also add, I wasn't crazy about the Bielema hire, not because i was opposed to him, just didn't know anything about him. There was time I was thinking he could do it here, and that time has also passed.

farmhawg

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 08, 2017, 07:53:53 pm
Yep, would have rather been wrong with a great program.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

presidenthog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 08, 2017, 08:49:37 pm
Tell Petrino.

Why would I have to tell him that? He has not called his offense a power spread since he left. In fact after we fired him, there was articles claiming he was watching and taking notes of A&M's offense.

rzrbackramsfan

No prob.  You just did what you thought was right.  I was all on the BB train until the of last season, gave him another chance for this season and jumped off with authority after TCU.

The hire of Bret was good, the contract extension was catastrophic.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

KennyForAD

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 08, 2017, 09:06:30 pm

Welcome aboard, BRUTHA!  Let the wounds start healing!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: presidenthog on October 08, 2017, 09:12:56 pm
Why would I have to tell him that? He has not called his offense a power spread since he left. In fact after we fired him, there was articles claiming he was watching and taking notes of A&M's offense.

He wouldn't call that while here either.