Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Potential MLB rule change

Started by Cinco de Hogo, November 21, 2017, 04:26:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

Evidently MLB is close to implementing a 20 sec pitch rule when the bases are empty.

Do you like or dislike this?

Will it spread to college?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 21, 2017, 04:26:42 pm
Evidently MLB is close to implementing a 20 sec pitch rule when the bases are empty.

They are trying anything to nibble away at the time games are taking to play.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) long games are the result of lots of hits and runs and pitching changes.

onebadrubi

Juicing baseballs lengthens games...

theFlyingHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 21, 2017, 11:43:11 pm
Juicing baseballs lengthens games...
Amen. The funny thing is they did it to themselves trying to make the game more interesting.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 23, 2017, 09:14:24 am
Amen. The funny thing is they did it to themselves trying to make the game more interesting.

Isn't it just about the same with all sports, seems offense lengthens games.

PorkRyan

Make the batter stay in the box and eliminate all of the mound visits. 

PorcineSublime

i believe we were already doing this in the SEC a couple years back. Seemed to not speed up the game much but didn't ruin either.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Birminghog

I've gone to the SEC tournament the last two years and paid some attention to the 20 second clock. Can't tell that it ever made much of a difference, if any.

sickboy

Quote from: PorkRyan on November 24, 2017, 10:29:39 pm

I've been saying this for years.

PorcineSublime

You know I can go most of the day without having to step aside and adjust myself and spit. Can't be that hard to stay in the box.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

bhogs05

No kidding on the stay in the box..drives me crazy when every batter has to step out and readjust their gloves after every pitch even when they don't even swing at it. 

theFlyingHog

Quote from: bhogs05 on November 29, 2017, 09:56:16 am
No kidding on the stay in the box..drives me crazy when every batter has to step out and readjust their gloves after every pitch even when they don't even swing at it.
It's been a number of years since I've gone to any little league games but I'd bet you'd see the kids doing the same crap now. I wonder if these batters do that in BP? Lol

JONAS

The only way to truly speed up the game is to have a time limit, but that would ruin the game.  The beauty of baseball is that you always have a chance regardless of how many runs you are behind until that final out.

Inhogswetrust

DO IT! And don't limit it to only when nobody is on base.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

DO THIS also. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jvanhorn

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 21, 2017, 04:49:41 pm
They are trying anything to nibble away at the time games are taking to play.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) long games are the result of lots of hits and runs and pitching changes.

Pitching changes are responsible for 90 per cent of this stupid crap.  Changing pitchers just to pitch to one hitter is nothing more than gutless managers covering their asses.  If a pitcher has good enough stuff, he will get out a hitter no matter what side of the plate he is batting from.  The odds are already 7 to 3 in the pitchers favor even when facing a .300 hitter for Christ's sake.

jvanhorn

I think they used this when I saw some minor league games last summer in Memphis.  Frankly I never saw anyone come close to not throwing a pitch in the allotted time.  After an inning I forgot all about it.

SPAL

I feel like we already have/had this

HogFansReunited

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 08, 2018, 08:17:53 am
I feel like we already have/had this

Yep. We only had one pitcher that really took him time before delivering a pitch and he still had plenty of time to do it.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: PorcineSublime on November 25, 2017, 02:19:36 pm
i believe we were already doing this in the SEC a couple years back. Seemed to not speed up the game much but didn't ruin either.

Yes, we do it in SEC games.

boaron

This. Most hitters will back out every single time.

Cargill A. BullHog

If they really wanted to shorten games they'd make every hitter start with a 1-1 count.  Pitch clock will end up hurting the batter more than the pitcher
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 21, 2017, 04:49:41 pm
P

Pitching changes just so a pitcher can throw to one batter are killing this game.  If a pitcher has good enough stuff to get a batter out he should be be able to get them out no matter what side of the plate they hit from.  This is strictly a manager and pitching coach covering their asses.

jvanhorn

Quote from: boaron on February 01, 2018, 11:19:03 am
This. Most hitters will back out every single time.

Exactly, how many times do you need to adjust the Velcro on a batting glove?  They had a 20 clock in Memphis last year.  After the first couple of batter I completely forgot about it.  I never saw any anyone come close to running over the time limit.

JHicks3636

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 01, 2018, 11:50:43 am
If they really wanted to shorten games they'd make every hitter start with a 1-1 count.  Pitch clock will end up hurting the batter more than the pitcher
Wouldn't it be just as easy to say 2 strikes is a strikeout and 3 balls is a walk rather than starting with a 1-1 count?

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: JHicks3636 on February 04, 2018, 06:34:40 pm
Wouldn't it be just as easy to say 2 strikes is a strikeout and 3 balls is a walk rather than starting with a 1-1 count?

That'd be fine too.  I'd also limit the pitching changes to 3 per game, barring injury of course.  And any pitcher who is "injured" misses a minimum of 2 weeks.   
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: jvanhorn on February 03, 2018, 02:20:00 pm
  P

Pitching changes just so a pitcher can throw to one batter are killing this game.  If a pitcher has good enough stuff to get a batter out he should be be able to get them out no matter what side of the plate they hit from.  This is strictly a manager and pitching coach covering their asses.
Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 05, 2018, 11:21:13 am
That'd be fine too.  I'd also limit the pitching changes to 3 per game, barring injury of course.  And any pitcher who is "injured" misses a minimum of 2 weeks.   

100% disagree.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

PintailKiller

Quote from: jvanhorn on February 03, 2018, 02:20:00 pm
  P

It's as much about the hitter being able to hit lefties or righties better that facilitates this move, not necessarily the pitchers ability.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."