Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

.22 Ammo Hoarding

Started by Boarslab, August 17, 2013, 08:38:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DOGALUM

While I'm not close to being "out" or even "too low", my boy turns 12 this Saturday.  I'm giving him a badass .22 so we will have to go out together to try to find some ammo.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

kodiakisland

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 03, 2014, 10:20:09 pm
While I'm not close to being "out" or even "too low", my boy turns 12 this Saturday.  I'm giving him a badass .22 so we will have to go out together to try to find some ammo.   

Badass as in a tricked out 10/22 or as in old school like a winchester 52B?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Dude on January 31, 2014, 08:53:53 am
I'm not sure what year(s) we actually lost our Constitutional right to revolt against a tyrannical government, but I imagine it was around the early twentieth century.  Probably between WWI and WWII.  With the discovery of atomic weapons, our ability to fight back died.

How?

No US President will ever nuke his own citizens, or use a nuke on US soil. Ever. No matter how bad it gets. Not a factor whatsoever.

DOGALUM

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 03, 2014, 11:03:13 pm
Badass as in a tricked out 10/22 or as in old school like a winchester 52B?
i used the word "badass" because I'm excited about giving it to him and it is one he can hand down to his son.

It's a CZ 452 Trainer.  Not gonna put a scope on it.  Didn't post what it was because they don't make them any more, and I was waiting to see if the store still had a new one.  They do and I'm headed to get it today.  Surprise Hume with it Saturday. 

kodiakisland

CZs are good 22s.  All I've handled had great triggers.  Hope he will be as excited as you are. 
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DOGALUM

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 04, 2014, 07:08:55 pm
CZs are good 22s.  All I've handled had great triggers.  Hope he will be as excited as you are. 
Me too.   I'm just excited for him.  I learned to shoot on an old Remington 512 Sportmaster that my dad got before I was born.  The 512 was a bolt action, tube fed .22 that would shoot shorts, longs, and long rifles. Held 14+1.  Never had a scope on that rifle because it was....for a .22 shooting bulk ammo....a tack driver.  Still have that rifle and it means a ton to me.  But it's in less than "heirloom" condition and just doesn't shoot like it used to.   My dad was more old school and until I was a teenager, I thought that cleaning your guns was no more than running some 3in1 down the bore on a patch and wiping down all the metal.    That's what excites me the most about this one.....hoping that it will mean that much to my son in 20-30 years.  This gun should still be in great shape then.     

Hawgon

I've had a CZ for 15 years or so.  I paid $250 for mine before too many people even knew about them.  Poor man's Anschutz it is.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hawgon on February 05, 2014, 08:18:34 am
I've had a CZ for 15 years or so.  I paid $250 for mine before too many people even knew about them.  Poor man's Anschutz it is.

Good buy they are great rifles but I already one a 512 Remington from the 1950s that will drill golf balls at 100 yards.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DOGALUM

Couple of pics of his new CZ.  (it's now wrapped and he'll get it on Saturday)

Two things Delta........I hear ya.... still love my 512......and Robert Shields sucks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kodiakisland

He'll love it.  Let us know if that rear sight is calibrated correctly.  I like the looks of it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 05, 2014, 11:01:03 pm
Couple of pics of his new CZ.  (it's now wrapped and he'll get it on Saturday)

Two things Delta........I hear ya.... still love my 512......and Robert Shields sucks.

Nice if I had not found my nearly mint 512 in the mid 1980s at the Gun show at Barton Coliseum then I would be getting a CZ .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DOGALUM

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 06, 2014, 02:50:00 pm
Nice if I had not found my nearly mint 512 in the mid 1980s at the Gun show at Barton Coliseum then I would be getting a CZ .
I broke down last  year and put a scope on my 512.   I've always wanted to see what it could do with a scope on it but never could make myself do it.  Finally did and it just feels strange.   Mine is nowhere near mint.  Shoots great and I keep it clean....but the stock has several scuffs on it.   I love the metal guts on the action/feed mechanism and how the bold just feels super solid.  Same feel on this CZ.   I'll post a pic of my 512.....even though I've bastardized it with a scope.

DOGALUM

Had an old 2-7 Redfield that fits it well.

Some of the scuffs.

This has been "my gun" (though it is still "officially my dad's) as long as I can remember.

DeltaBoy

Mine looks like yours except mine is older version . It didn't have scope groves cut into the receiver so Mr. Frank Sipes in LR drilled and tapped it for me with steel Redfield bases and mounts.

DeltaBoy

Same old goats trying to sell bricks for 55 Bucks + at my local gun show. I just laughed and walked on.

DOGALUM

CZ shot great.   

This is a 7 shot group from about 40yds.   Had a couple flyers that I knew when I shot them.   Iron sights, laid across the spare tire on the back of my Jeep, shooting CCI Blazers.   I'm more than happy with this gun.   Also....the trigger is spectacular.   

Someone asked about the sights.   I didn't stretch it out any farther  than this on paper, but I shot these using the 50 yd setting and pulled a pretty small bead.   

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 06, 2014, 03:05:46 pm

Had an old 2-7 Redfield that fits it well.

Some of the scuffs.

This has been "my gun" (though it is still "officially my dad's) as long as I can remember.

Seeing the picture of your Rem 512 Sportsmaster brings back memories.  My Dad had one just like it when I was a kid.  It was very accurate, killed a lot of squirrels with that gun.  Always used a scope with it,  & the only one I had for it.... was a small cheap 4x .22 scope.  It was not very clear, but I had better eyes back then. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 17, 2014, 04:46:29 pm
CZ shot great.   

This is a 7 shot group from about 40yds.   Had a couple flyers that I knew when I shot them.   Iron sights, laid across the spare tire on the back of my Jeep, shooting CCI Blazers.   I'm more than happy with this gun.   Also....the trigger is spectacular.   

Someone asked about the sights.   I didn't stretch it out any farther  than this on paper, but I shot these using the 50 yd setting and pulled a pretty small bead.   

CZ rimfires are magnificent, enjoy that gun man, you will have it the rest of your life.

DeltaBoy

CZ are great and 22 ammo is still like hens teeth.

waphill

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 12, 2014, 10:15:03 am
Same old goats trying to sell bricks for 55 Bucks + at my local gun show. I just laughed and walked on.

Some old fool was asking $65 for them at the KC Gun Show last weekend. Unbelievable.

Pudgepork

Quote from: waphill on February 18, 2014, 03:58:01 pm
Some old fool was asking $65 for them at the KC Gun Show last weekend. Unbelievable.

What's bad is people will pay it

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: grayhawg on February 18, 2014, 09:54:28 pm

How about $24 for empty boxes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-CCI-MINI-MAG-STD-22-LR-22-Long-Rifle-PLASTIC-Ammo-Box-Case-Storage-Container-/191074072825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7ce6f8f9

Wow.  Read this, jumped up & went back into my storage closet.  I have empty shoe boxes, scope boxes, binocular boxes, spotting scope boxes, knife boxes, etc....  Going to undercut the guy with the empty $24 CCI Boxes.  Believe I am going to let my empties go for $19......I have never messed with e-bay before.  Guess people have been right about finding some great deals on e-bay....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 18, 2014, 09:39:13 pm
What's bad is people will pay it

Yes and I saw a young dad spend a 100 for 1000 rounds of Federal 514  so he could take his boys shooting on Saturday.

DeltaBoy

Vendors like Wal Mart needs to hold back some stock until Sat then put a little out ever other hour till they run out.

Pudgepork

Make sure you actually ask someone in sporting goods if they have any .22 bullets.
I went in the local wal mart a couple of weeks back and wandered over to sporting goods. There was nobody standing in line so I resigned myself to the fact that they had none.  The girl who worked the counter was away from the register.  I asked her if she had any .22 and she said yes, they had gotten in 10 of the 1440 Remington golden bullet buckets.  She said she had 3 left.   I bought one and left 2 for others.   I never would have guessed that they had any if I hadn't asked.

grayhawg

Quote from: Pudgepork on March 03, 2014, 06:12:50 pm
Make sure you actually ask someone in sporting goods if they have any .22 bullets.
I went in the local wal mart a couple of weeks back and wandered over to sporting goods. There was nobody standing in line so I resigned myself to the fact that they had none.  The girl who worked the counter was away from the register.  I asked her if she had any .22 and she said yes, they had gotten in 10 of the 1440 Remington golden bullet buckets.  She said she had 3 left.   I bought one and left 2 for others.   I never would have guessed that they had any if I hadn't asked.
Ask that question at the Wal-mart in Van Buren and they will either laugh at you or bite your head off.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pudgepork on March 03, 2014, 06:12:50 pm

The morons at mine often don't know what they have in stock and are too lazy to check.

pikehog

They are still hoarding in central Arkansas. My kid wants to go shoot this weekend and I have zero .22's. Once the runs on them starts I quit looking or trying to buy figuring it may last a few months before people came to their senses.

Went to 4 stores, and finally had to buy match grade  just to have something use this weekend. In talking with the counter guy at a national store he said it really sucks because the same 20-30 people show up every time they get a shipment and buy their limit. Says if they would quit doing it for a month, the shortage would be over.

We are going to have to shoot slow and accurate this weekend.

kodiakisland

If people would stop buying from those hoarders, the problem would be over.  There are enough people willing to pay $50+ per brick to keep the shortage going.  As long as people can make a quick $20 profit, expect the shortage to continue.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 13, 2014, 05:47:37 pm
If people would stop buying from those hoarders, the problem would be over.  There are enough people willing to pay $50+ per brick to keep the shortage going.  As long as people can make a quick $20 profit, expect the shortage to continue.

100% truth here.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Flying Razorback

Quote from: pikehog on March 13, 2014, 02:49:25 pm
They are still hoarding in central Arkansas. My kid wants to go shoot this weekend and I have zero .22's. Once the runs on them starts I quit looking or trying to buy figuring it may last a few months before people came to their senses.

Went to 4 stores, and finally had to buy match grade  just to have something use this weekend. In talking with the counter guy at a national store he said it really sucks because the same 20-30 people show up every time they get a shipment and buy their limit. Says if they would quit doing it for a month, the shortage would be over.

We are going to have to shoot slow and accurate this weekend.

If you run in to that problem again and want to go shoot with your kid then send me a message.  I'll let you have some from my collection for sticker price.  I wish I could give it away but it's hard when you pay $20 for a brick that cost $9 a few years back.

I don't have an overwhelming amount, but I have 5 or 6 boxes of 500 and I'd much rather part with a couple to help someone shoot with their kid than it just sit in my gun safe.

DeltaBoy

Well my Wal-Mart had a full ammo cabinet this morning at 9 am and I got 450 rounds for $21.00.

pikehog

Thanks for the responses guys. I refuse to buy from shows or inflated markups. I woudl rather spend extra money on match grade than feed the jackwagons who are causing this.

Flying, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it in the future if things don't turn around in the near future.

Guess I will start just stopping by the stores more often and hope to get lucky.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: pikehog on March 14, 2014, 11:02:00 am
Thanks for the responses guys. I refuse to buy from shows or inflated markups. I woudl rather spend extra money on match grade than feed the jackwagons who are causing this.

Flying, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it in the future if things don't turn around in the near future.

Guess I will start just stopping by the stores more often and hope to get lucky.

No problem.  I don't understand the hoarding because .22 doesn't last forever like a lot of centerfire cartridges do.  People can't expect good, consistent results in 20 years if they try and shoot stuff that's been in the closet for 20+ years. 

I was able to pick up a hand flu of 500 boxes at Fort Thompson at various times in the fall.  I guess people were too busy hunting to sit in lines waiting for stores to open to rush the counter.

Like I said, I don't have a ton of it, but I'd rather a kid get to spend a day shooting with their dad than for it to go to waste in my closet.

DeltaBoy

I am slowly getting back in the game. We were off this week and I had time to early bird shop.

95_alum

2 deep at Cabela's this morning. The bricks of Blazer & Remingtons were snatched up by the time I got there.

grayhawg

My local Walmart got some in last week, I only bought 1 brick but the guy in front of me bought his 3 brick limit. left to go to Lowe's while my wife was at the Pharmacy and when she left she spotted the line so she got a brick also, gosh I love that girl. ;D

DeltaBoy

Waiting on Payday to make another ammo Run.

OldCoot

Picked up 4 boxes of Aguila Super Extras today in LR for 4$ a box.  Is that ammo ok, and did I get ripped?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Dude on April 13, 2014, 12:14:24 pm
Picked up 4 boxes of Aguila Super Extras today in LR for 4$ a box.  Is that ammo ok, and did I get ripped?

Aguila is a quality ammo.  I use their Super Subsonic Sniper rounds for back yard pest control. 

95_alum

Cabela's had bricks of Blazers this afternoon- around lunch time.

OldCoot

Academy has .22 long rifle for 19.95 a box.??????  WTH?  They said they were premium long or something like that.  How is that possible?

DeltaBoy

They sniffing glue.

grayhawg

Quote from: Dude on April 19, 2014, 11:43:07 am
Academy has .22 long rifle for 19.95 a box.??????  WTH?  They said they were premium long or something like that.  How is that possible?
Are you sure that wasn't a box of 550?

OldCoot

.22 long rifle. Seriously.  I'll get the names next time. they are still sitting there.

grayhawg

Quote from: Dude on April 20, 2014, 10:19:00 am
.22 long rifle. Seriously.  I'll get the names next time. they are still sitting there.
I meant 550 shells in the box.

OldCoot

April 22, 2014, 01:28:15 pm #147 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:26:44 pm by Dude
Quote from: grayhawg on April 19, 2014, 12:02:10 pm
Are you sure that wasn't a box of 550?

These are $19.95 a box at Academy.  They are always there, no one buys them.  Apparently they are used in Olympic trials for accuracy.  Don't know about you but I can be pretty accurate with just about any .22 shell.

grayhawg

Quote from: Dude on April 22, 2014, 01:28:15 pm
These are $19.95 a box.

unbelievable, I paid $19.50 a brick when Walmart got some in 3 weeks ago.

OldCoot

Bought 2 boxes today, got home and realized they are "gunpowderless" which means they can only be used in pistols.