Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown II

Started by Hogtropolis™, April 10, 2008, 03:02:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

Not sure what the whole deal with Brady's thread was, but here's another thread that we can talk about the Cards on.  I chose Redbird Rundown II, because it is now in it's second season.

Anyway, Cards are 7-2 early in the season and open a 4 game series at San Fran tonight with Wainwright on the mound.  Go Cards!

Head Dahn Hog

Off to a great start!  Pitching has been outstanding to open the season.  Here's to hoping we can take advantage of the relatively easy early season schedule and pad that record a little more this weekend.  The Giants are possibly the worst team in baseball this season. 

Go Cards!
No excuses!  Play like a champion today!

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Head Dahn Hog on April 10, 2008, 04:40:06 pm
Off to a great start!  Pitching has been outstanding to open the season.  Here's to hoping we can take advantage of the relatively easy early season schedule and pad that record a little more this weekend.  The Giants are possibly the worst team in baseball this season. 

Go Cards!
I was thinking the same thing.  I think we need to take at least 3 of 4 from the Giants.  We need to put the pressure on teams like the Cubs and Brewers and make them play catchup from the get go.

As far as the Giants go, I don't think there are many teams (AL or NL) that are worse than them this year.

dacskc

9:15 start time...ugh...guess I'll need extra coffee tomorrow. I've been told that I am not required to stay up and watch, they are perfectly capable of playing even while I am asleep. I have not tested this theory, and have no intention of doing so. I've been waiting months for baseball season, and a west coast start time shall not deter me.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: dacskc on April 10, 2008, 06:42:53 pm
9:15 start time...ugh...guess I'll need extra coffee tomorrow. I've been told that I am not required to stay up and watch, they are perfectly capable of playing even while I am asleep. I have not tested this theory, and have no intention of doing so. I've been waiting months for baseball season, and a west coast start time shall not deter me.
I'll watch it for a while.  Depending on how good of a game it is depends on how late I stay up.  I haven't had a chance to watch Wainwright yet this season, so I am excited about that.

Hogtropolis™

Losing 4-0 headed into the top of the 8th.  I'm off to bed.  Maybe we'll have better luck tomorrow.

dacskc

Ludwick flies out to center with 2 on, 2 out, and Albert on deck. Think I'm done also.

Head Dahn Hog

You guys made it longer than I did.  I crapped out after 6.  Doesn't appear that I missed much. 

Now we have to take 3 in a row to win our 4th consecutive series to open the season.  It's certainly possible, but not an easy thing to do.  Thats what makes the first game of a series sooo important.  Also, the Giants are playing a little better ball now after a slow start to the season. 

Maybe we can turn it around tonight against Zito.  Speaking of that, what an AWFUL contract for the Giants.  Glad he's not on our payroll w/ that huge number for the next 6 years!

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Head Dahn Hog on April 11, 2008, 10:03:35 am
Maybe we can turn it around tonight against Zito.  Speaking of that, what an AWFUL contract for the Giants.  Glad he's not on our payroll w/ that huge number for the next 6 years!
With the Giants pitching it will be tough to take 3 straight from them, but their offensive deficiencies make it possible.

As far as the contract given to Zito, it's looking like it almost as bad as the one given to Hampton by Colorado.

dacskc

Well, this sounds encouraging  http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080410&content_id=2514527&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl

Piniero is also set to start on Sunday. Don't know what impact this has, because strangely enough, pitching isn't the problem. We badly need an Utley type guy at second.

SPAL

I am quite shocked at how little is being discussed about the cards right now considerin they lead their division with one of the best records in baseball.....thans trop for gettin it back up and running.

dacskc

Nice win tonight. I think Brian Barton answered some questions. While not perfect in left, he did a good job...sliding catch, made a good throw...feeling a little better about his defense.

The ump got Lohse a little rattled. For a while, I thought maybe his right arm was paralyzed. The strike zone seemed to widen and shift randomly later in the game. To put it bluntly, he sucked... but it worked out. First place, baby!

mossfan3

yeah the home plate was not consistent at all.  if you have a small strike zone, that's fine, just be consistent with it...

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: mossfan3 on April 12, 2008, 12:46:44 am
yeah the home plate was not consistent at all.  if you have a small strike zone, that's fine, just be consistent with it...
Agreed.  He had the tightest strike zone of a game that I have watched in a while.

Still, good game by Loshe.  I am just hoping that he can keep it up.  Having him and Wainwright anchoring our rotation for a while will be great.  And as we have heard in the last couple of days, Mulder is looking great.

I know I keep mentioning this, but here in about a month, we could have this rotation:

Mulder
Wainwright
Loshe

Then for 4 and 5 you could choose from these 5; Pineiro Wellemeyer, Thompson, Looper, and Reyes.

Then shortly after the All-Star break:

Carpenter
Mulder
Wainwright
Loshe

Then for 5 you could choose from the same 5 that were filling the 4 and 5 spots previously.

I'm actually getting pretty optimistic about this season.

dacskc

9-3. It sucks that Fox forces Red Sox/Yanks on us and we miss this awesome 10th inning comeback. Yeah, I know it's the Giants.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: dacskc on April 12, 2008, 06:36:03 pm
9-3. It sucks that Fox forces Red Sox/Yanks on us and we miss this awesome 10th inning comeback. Yeah, I know it's the Giants.
I was busy this afternoon anyway.  It looks like it would have been a good game to watch though.

dacskc

Word on the Cards board is that they are looking to trade Duncan/Kennedy/Minor leaguer for Brian Roberts. That could be a good trade, but it seems that lately, StL is where 2nd basemen go to die.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: dacskc on April 12, 2008, 08:22:04 pm
Word on the Cards board is that they are looking to trade Duncan/Kennedy/Minor leaguer for Brian Roberts. That could be a good trade, but it seems that lately, StL is where 2nd basemen go to die.

That could be the best move the Cards have made in a while.  It seems as though we have a lot of depth in the OF right now and Brian Roberts would give us a great leadoff hitter and a good basestealer.

Again, I would be ecstatic if this deal were made.

dacskc, what Cards board do you read?

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 12, 2008, 11:37:02 am
Agreed.  He had the tightest strike zone of a game that I have watched in a while.

Still, good game by Loshe.  I am just hoping that he can keep it up.  Having him and Wainwright anchoring our rotation for a while will be great.  And as we have heard in the last couple of days, Mulder is looking great.

I know I keep mentioning this, but here in about a month, we could have this rotation:

Mulder
Wainwright
Loshe

Then for 4 and 5 you could choose from these 5; Pineiro Wellemeyer, Thompson, Looper, and Reyes.

Carpenter
Mulder
Wainwright
Loshe

Then for 5 you could choose from the same 5 that were filling the 4 and 5 spots previously.

Just an example of how fanchise's think.   The Mets wanted Lohse as a 5th starter.   and wont pay the money the cards offer to be a #2

its Kyle Lohse...he'll come down to earth once you guys start facing actual competition
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: chiefsfan on April 12, 2008, 10:33:18 pm
Just an example of how fanchise's think.   The Mets wanted Lohse as a 5th starter.   and wont pay the money the cards offer to be a #2

its Kyle Lohse...he'll come down to earth once you guys start facing actual competition
We'll see.  I don't expect him to be as solid as he has been to start the year, but I do expect him to be a borderline #3 starter and solid #4 starter, which is all that he will have to do after Carpenter finally comes back.

As far as his track record, I would compare him to Suppan, who had his best 3 years with the Cards and I am hoping/expecting that Loshe will follow that pattern.

dacskc

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 12, 2008, 10:22:11 pm
That could be the best move the Cards have made in a while.  It seems as though we have a lot of depth in the OF right now and Brian Roberts would give us a great leadoff hitter and a good basestealer.

Again, I would be ecstatic if this deal were made.

dacskc, what Cards board do you read?

Cards MLB site, here's the link:
http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-cardinals&tid=84855

dacskc

Ok, I just read the entire thread....guess it's just talk. It was started by somebody called "HogCard" which means prob someone from Hogville! Crap! I'll go back to suffering thru Kennedy I guess...I shouldn't be so gullible.

LVW

I think there's been more rumors about Roberts in the last few months than stories about Obama and Hillary combined.
Van_the_man_Unusual

width=250 height=156]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8279/chapman.jpg

IndyHog76

Won't Matt Clement be somewhere in this equation by the end of the year?

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 12, 2008, 11:37:02 am

Mulder
Wainwright
Loshe

Carpenter
Mulder
Wainwright
Loshe

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: IndyHog76 on April 14, 2008, 01:18:17 pm
Won't Matt Clement be somewhere in this equation by the end of the year?

Yeah, I don't know how I completely forgot about him, but he will be a solid starter if he can get healthy.  At least that is my opinion.

So we could end up with

Carpenter
Mulder
Wainwright
Clement
Loshe

That is a very solid starting 5.

neahogfan

Im not sure they would bump Pineiro out of the rotation for Clement.  They signed Pineiro to a 2 year contract, and Clement to a 1 year deal.  IF Carpenter and Mulder can come back healthy it could be a very good rotation.

hog_heaven_2000

Pujols may have just injured his wrist in the second inning against the Brewers. That wouldn't be good.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

hog_heaven_2000

He seems to be okay. Cards are up 1-0 going into the bottom of the second.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

dacskc

10-4. I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic here. It's early. The learned prognosticators still say that we stink. Kuselias on ESPN this morning called the Cards a "cute little story". I'm finding it harder and harder to not be an outright believer here. I'm thinking this is the real thing.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: dacskc on April 15, 2008, 10:17:47 pm
10-4. I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic here. It's early. The learned prognosticators still say that we stink. Kuselias on ESPN this morning called the Cards a "cute little story". I'm finding it harder and harder to not be an outright believer here. I'm thinking this is the real thing.
That was a quality win IMO.  I know my opinion doesn't count for a lot, but I think that the Brewers are the team to beat in the NL Central this year and if we can beat them, then we have just as good of a shot at winning the division as the Cubs do.

Also, while we are the subject of the Cubs, I think they are way overrated this year and that is not just coming from a Cards fan that doesn't like them to start with.  I just don't see why all the big wig analysts are so enamored with them.

Hogginitall

Quote from: dacskc on April 15, 2008, 10:17:47 pm

I'll tell you what I like is the attitudes of the players that I heard after the game last night.  They all talked about how close this team was and that they all pull for each other and believe in each other.  That means a lot!  You can't just put a bunch of talented guys together and have them win (see Detroit Tigers).  There's more to it than that.  I like their attitudes.  I'm with you.  I'm a little more than cautiously optimistic after last night's game and the comments I heard from the players after the game.

Go Cards!

mossfan3

I think this team compares pretty well to last years Rockies.  Both are relatively young teams that have some All-Star veterans mixed in with some talented young lesser known guys.  Both teams also had/have pitching staffs that put up very good albeit unexpected numbers.... Hopefully we will keep it close through summer and make a late run. Should be a fun season to watch. 

dacskc

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 15, 2008, 10:27:50 pm

Also, while we are the subject of the Cubs, I think they are way overrated this year and that is not just coming from a Cards fan that doesn't like them to start with.  I just don't see why all the big wig analysts are so enamored with them.

Last night on Baseball Tonight, they showed highlights from the Cubs win, which was prefaced by Kruk (I think) excitedly proclaiming... "They're goin' to the Series!" What leads him to believe this? The Cubs winning history? Has he come "Back from the Future"? Has he successfully crossed a black cat with a billy goat? The Cub love is beyond me, they are not "lovable losers"...just losers. I'm also waiting for the day Zambrano's head explodes.

dacskc

What's up with Reyes!!? 97 on the gun, are you kidding me? I guess I don't have to get the Pepto out of the cabinet when I see him on the mound now? Keeping fingers crossed.

Hogtropolis™

Cards win!  Wainwright pitched very good and Izzy struggled saving it, but he got the job done.

I'm loving this great start to the season!

neahogfan

It might be time to call up Motte or Perez.  Its getting obvious that the only righties LaRussa trusts are McClellan, Franklin, and Izzy.  He put a lot of stress on Wainwright by sending him out in the 8th, and its really early in the season for that.

WindyCityHog

I have been in denial for quite some time, but this team is in deep peril.

Being in 1st on April 17 is not a bad thing.....and I hope to see a Chisox-Card World Series.

I just listened to a Steve Stone interview up here....Steve Stone knows his stuff and should be a GM.  He's currently a Chisox radio broadcaster (along with Ed Farmer) that was a Cubbie stalwart until he got pissed at the Cubs when Hendry took Dusty Baker's side in a gaff with Stone.

The man knows his stuff.

His take?

The moment the Cardinals fall out of contention, Pujols will have Tommy John surgery.

He's not a pitcher so he can come back sooner....but let's face it....Albert Pujols is the face of the Cardinals.

dacskc

Quote from: WindyCityHog on April 17, 2008, 11:55:51 am
I have been in denial for quite some time, but this team is in deep peril.

Being in 1st on April 17 is not a bad thing.....and I hope to see a Chisox-Card World Series.

I just listened to a Steve Stone interview up here....Steve Stone knows his stuff and should be a GM.  He's currently a Chisox radio broadcaster (along with Ed Farmer) that was a Cubbie stalwart until he got pissed at the Cubs when Hendry took Dusty Baker's side in a gaff with Stone.

The man knows his stuff.

His take?

The moment the Cardinals fall out of contention, Pujols will have Tommy John surgery.

He's not a pitcher so he can come back sooner....but let's face it....Albert Pujols is the face of the Cardinals.

Out of contention in the Central would be what? 4th or 5th in August? If it comes down to that, he should have the surgery. It's nothing to worry about for the time being, I don't think. If he has the surgery before season's end, I understand the likelihood is a May '09 return. No big deal.

WindyCityHog

No...the Cubs are that good.

Their SP is suspect....and the Soriano injury may prove to be a boon for the team.

As much as I hate to say it.....the Cubs are the class of the NL Central....only the Brewers can contend...in a pipedream.

Hogginitall

Quote from: WindyCityHog on April 17, 2008, 01:41:33 pm
No...the Cubs are that good.

Their SP is suspect....and the Soriano injury may prove to be a boon for the team.

As much as I hate to say it.....the Cubs are the class of the NL Central....only the Brewers can contend...in a pipedream.

I guess we'll just have to see.  If their SP is suspect, I don't think you can definitively say that they "are that good".  You're only as good as your starting pitching.  The Cubs always find a way to choke it away.  Wood gets hurt, Prior gets hurt, they both gets hurt, Bartman grabs a ball away from Alou, etc.  I think they'll do it again. 

dacskc

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 17, 2008, 01:57:12 pm
I guess we'll just have to see.  If their SP is suspect, I don't think you can definitively say that they "are that good".  You're only as good as your starting pitching.  The Cubs always find a way to choke it away.  Wood gets hurt, Prior gets hurt, they both gets hurt, Bartman grabs a ball away from Alou, etc.  I think they'll do it again. 

The past is a good indicator of the future...at least for the Cubs...for the last hundred years. I don't think I'd pop any corks.

Hogtropolis™

I know that we lost today, but I really like this team.  They are a young feisty team and they don't give up no matter the situation.

BradyHolzhauer

11-5 is something to be happy about.  GO CARDS!

dacskc

Left Lohse out there too long, but I know Tony doesn't want to tax the bullpen. why couldn't PF wait another day for #1? What killed us was that fly ball he put down the LF line with the shift on.
Dan and Al had just finished a conversation about pitching opposite the defense... they jinxed us.

dacskc

Nice. So much for the big letdown after giving one away yesterday...which I blame on Pedro the bullfrog.(This will make sense if you have FoxMW)

Welly looking good.

Head Dahn Hog

Cards locked in a tight one w/ the Brew Crew tonight.  After dropping 2 of 3 to the Giants over the weekend, we really need this game.  Especially since the Cubs already won earlier tonight. 

Let's Go Cards!

BradyHolzhauer

That's a winner! 13-7, .5 games back of the Cubs

Hogginitall

Looks like every game is going to be an adventure.  At least I shouldn't get bored watching them this year....

dacskc

Luddy needs to start in left regardless of R/L pitching. Also, just because Izturis "can" switch hit, should he? He's like .200 lower from the left side...when there's that much of a discrepancy, it just doesn't make sense to me. I know Tony has a proven track record, but his little idiosyncracies drive me nuts sometimes.(esp. when they fly in the face of logic)

I shouldn't gripe after a "w".

Head Dahn Hog

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 21, 2008, 09:56:28 pm
Looks like every game is going to be an adventure.  At least I shouldn't get bored watching them this year....

Seriously.  With the offense this year, it appears most Card games will be tight affairs.  It is sooo important that are starting pitching continues to hold up.  It's also been encouraging to see Glaus swing the bat a little better the last few games.  We need his bat in the worst way!