Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We may not be hearing what we want to hear from the Bills

Started by Jim Harris, March 07, 2007, 11:01:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

All of a sudden, there's this strong whisper going around that Stan Heath might not have to do all that it was said he had to do two weeks ago, that a good showing in the SECT (a couple of wins) might be enough to stay another year, whether the NCAA calls or not.

Something tells me the feedback via agents to Self and/or Gillispie aren't what was hoped.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HogBaptist

Quote from: drakehog on March 07, 2007, 11:01:00 am
All of a sudden, there's this strong whisper going around that Stan Heath might not have to do all that it was said he had to do two weeks ago, that a good showing in the SECT (a couple of wins) might be enough to stay another year, whether the NCAA calls or not.

Something tells me the feedback via agents to Self and/or Gillispie aren't what was hoped.

as to be expected. anyone who thought Bill Self would come here is insane.  He would leave a possible Number 1 seed in the tourney with alot of upside on young talent. 

Also, Billy G.  he has good talent, and is starting to build a program.  he also makes very good money.  You won't see either here next year.

ceegar

Go Hogs. Go Noles.

HogISH™

i did not know we were looking for a basketball coach.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

jamie72921

Gillespie is losing 6 Seniors, including Law.

He could be talked into leaving. Whether it would be for here or not is debatable.
Bless your heart

hogsanity

This is simply going to come down to timing.  IF they want to replace Heath, but only with a big name guy, then this is not going to be the year.  Especially with Self.  His team is fairly young, and poised for another great year next season.  Gillespie may want to see if he can keep the momentum going at A&m instead of "starting over' somewhere else.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

booogaga

GO HOGS!

Bomis Hawg

It has been said that if Kansas or TAMU are playing on the second weekend, they'll likely stay.

And, a lot of posters here, would not be happy because they chose to stay over coming to Arkansas -- with claims Arkansas couldn't seal that deal.  Hard to convince someone to leave that doesn't want to.

With that said, it will be an interesting post-season.  If TAMU or KU bows out early, wonder if things would change?  I think we'll have our first hint if Arkansas (if the NCAA doesn't call) accepts an NIT bid.  Not sure if Arkansas would take a chance with one of the assistants coaching (or Heath) a deep trip in the NIT and Gillispie and Self sitting at home. 

Nutts and Bolts

We should know the answer to all the rumors in about 3-4 days
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 07, 2007, 11:07:23 am
I think we'll have our first hint if Arkansas (if the NCAA doesn't call) accepts an NIT bid.  Not sure if Arkansas would take a chance with one of the assistants coaching (or Heath) a deep trip in the NIT and Gillispie and Self sitting at home. 
Exactly...reel off 3-4 wins in the NIT and even if we lose the first SEC tourney game, we're up to 21-22 wins. I would think it would make a change more difficult.

hogsanity

Can the Ua afford to let Heath go UNLESS they already have a big name coach signed?  I do not think so.  Lets say they let Heath go, with the HOPE that they get Self or Gillespie, and they whiff on both of them.  They are dead, at least with the fans. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TMc

I am hearing Gillespie is indeed interested.., and rumored that he will be our next coach.

MrsPiggy

What impact do you think Broyles's retirement at the end of the year has on it?  Perhaps coaches are indicating they're not interested until they know who the new AD is?

hoginsanfran

No way heath is fired unless the new guy has virtually signed in blood....

mbgrulz

Quote from: TMc on March 07, 2007, 11:13:02 am
I am hearing Gillespie is indeed interested.., and rumored that he will be our next coach.
i dont see why it is so hard for people to believe in the gillispie route. i know about aTm and all the boosters they are supposed to have, but here is why getting Gillispie is not such a far out idea:

1. he will lose most of his contributors to graduation
2. basketball is secondary in texas to football
3. aTm is secondary to UT
4. 20,000 seats vs. 12,000 seats.
5. he will walk into one of the most talented and seasoned teams in the country at the UA.

WilsonHog

How many people would want Heath gone if it turns out that his replacement isn't Self, or Gillespie, or Pitino?

Suppose instead his replacement was a solid but unspectacular veteran coach? Maybe a Dana Altman, just to throw out a name. Maybe a Herb Sendek, just to throw out a name.

I'd rather keep Stan Heath than do that.   

mbgrulz

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 07, 2007, 11:30:26 am
How many people would want Heath gone if it turns out that his replacement isn't Self, or Gillespie, or Pitino?

Suppose instead his replacement was a solid but unspectacular veteran coach? Maybe a Dana Altman, just to throw out a name. Maybe a Herb Sendek, just to throw out a name.

i'd definately prefer stan over those guys.

i think it is big time or bust for us with this hire. IMO, JFB wants to make one last great hire. then he'd go out on a good note. he wont let the nutt saga be the last thing people remember about him.

inhognation

I have been asking for weeks why Self or BG would come here.  BG has always seemed like the most likely of the two, but I think TAMU will break the bank to keep him because they are just starting to have success again, and don't want to lose that momentum..

darth sooie

March 07, 2007, 11:37:33 am #18 Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 11:43:58 am by darth sooie
I don't know why self would ever leave. As for the other bill, i'd think if he left A$M,  it would be to the Spurs or some other NBA team instead of another college. If this is true about the b2, I'd guess the S.Carolina game is make or break for stan, win that he is probably back for at least an NIT run and another season, lose it and he is most likely gone and UA would target plan C, i like the trio of Nevada coach, VCU coach, or Mike Montgomery to chose from.

Hollywood_HOGan

we need to keep the pressure on coach heath so the team will play with fire and passion.

that seems to be the only way to get these kids to play.

Nutts and Bolts

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 07, 2007, 11:32:39 am
Quote from: Mr. Prozac on March 07, 2007, 11:11:54 am
I think we'll have our first hint if Arkansas (if the NCAA doesn't call) accepts an NIT bid.  Not sure if Arkansas would take a chance with one of the assistants coaching (or Heath) a deep trip in the NIT and Gillispie and Self sitting at home. 
Exactly...reel off 3-4 wins in the NIT and even if we lose the first SEC tourney game, we're up to 21-22 wins. I would think it would make a change more difficult.

By winning in the NIT?  Hah!

We have such a loser mentality in this state (no offense to you personally).

We should not want any part of the NIT.  If you accept winning 2-3 games in the NIT as "OK" then you need to support someone like ASU.  And you can't be my friend
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

weresoclose

March 07, 2007, 11:42:41 am #21 Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:58:00 pm by weresoclose
For the simple fact that next year's team will be well seasoned, and coach will have SEVEN SIX EIGHT? schollies to build a team with, it is absolutely imparative we get a new coach this year.  

This is the exact reason why the Razorback job would be attractive to many coaches.

Don't be scared, BOT.   :razorback:

edt

Stan needs to go, what we have seen the last 2 years is as good as he is going to do here. Good guy, below avg. coach.

Bomis Hawg

Gillispie and Self might want to ride out a year or two of what they have.  It's not like saying Arkansas couldn't "buy" them.  Or, its not saying Arkansas can't land a big coach.  Just couldn't land one in that scenario.

It's hard to fire a coach, hire another one, then want to get a bigger name.  That's a little low.

The scenario I mentioned earlier.  If they (those with the deep pocket books) think that Self or Gillispie aren't 100% they'd come, it could spell disaster if Arkansas decides to go to the NIT (and win a game or two) then see Kansas and TAMU not playing on the second weekend in the NCAAs.  If either team isn't, I'd say Arkansas could talk their way into bringing them to Arkansas.

Like I said, if Arkansas doesn't get a bid to the NCAAT and accepts the NIT, Heath is likely staying.  What are the chances Hipsher or Cyprien would coach Arkansas in the NIT?  I'd say unlikely.  But, that scenario, if the feelers out there give us good news on either of these two, might work out. 

razor rob

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2007, 11:12:02 am
Can the Ua afford to let Heath go UNLESS they already have a big name coach signed?  I do not think so.  Lets say they let Heath go, with the HOPE that they get Self or Gillespie, and they whiff on both of them.  They are dead, at least with the fans. 

An actual empty position tends to bring candidates out of the woodwork. If the PTB are sticking their toes in the water, looking to see who's interested, they probably won't get strong commitments, especially while the season is still going.
Remember Saban saying, "I won't be the coach at Alabama, period." Until the job was offered after the season, of course.
UA would be a good move for Gillespie. Not sure Self would give up KU for UA, because KU's program is on a higher tier than UA.

MaconBacon

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 07, 2007, 11:34:53 am

I want Heath fired (performance reasons only) but if we can't bring a big name coach in here, I've consistenly said from the start of this mess...

Shut the program down.

It's said we can't open up the checkbook and hire a big name coach.  I'm not going to accept we can't.  But, I would rather have Heath in lieu of an up and comer.  At least Heath is classy. 

That said, I'm rooting for him this week.  I'm a hog fan.  Get on my case if you don't like that.

Bravo!   This is very true. If we are going to make a change we don't need to jack around with another "unproven" coach.  Some wont agree, but I still consider BG a  newb to the real world of BB. This program can't handle another 3-5 yr. drought. Its going to be a gamble unless we get someone that has a proven record with a big time BB driven program. I really don't think anyone on the hill has the guts to let Stan go at this time. He will probably step down if anything, take his money and walk.

darth sooie

March 07, 2007, 11:54:02 am #26 Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:02:31 pm by darth sooie
Actually, there are 6 open scholarships next year not 7. I find it strange people use that against heath, he is the man you should want to sign those spots, it is what he does best. If heath returns, i don't see how he couldn't get next years team into the NCAA + he would sign 6 newcomers in the fall. It would be the following year, with all the newcomers, the team could struggle but with the talent heath hopefully would land being on campus, it wouldn't be a bad time to change coaches if heath struggles in 08-09. Bottom line, if heath returns, you should expect him for at least 2 more years. The advantages to that are, stan still might be the man, i think its still possible he could turn out to be a very good coach + the timing is much better, you would have an AD in place and maybe the bill's would be interested than or mike anderson , sadler might jump.

cardinalhawg

March 07, 2007, 11:57:42 am #28 Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:01:16 pm by cardinalhawg
IMO, a good coach will get his team to play above expectations or the talent level and Heath has basically shown that his teams will either play close to expectations or below expectations.  His best teams have been a lot like Nolan's worst teams.  If Heath can just go one and done with a veteran team last year, and not get a team with a lot of upperclassmen this year to the Big Dance, then what is going to happen in rebuilding years.  We saw how bad things were the first two rebuilding years, and then his third year didn't turn out that good either. 

I imagine that his superiors are looking at the overall direction of the program, and not just on wins or losses or whether the team makes the NCAA tourney.  They have to ask themselves if Heath can ever get them beyond a standard NCAA bubble type team or if he can get them to being an elite top 15 team with a chance to go all the way.  So far Heath has shown that he build a team up to being an NCAA bubble type of team, but he hasn't shown that he can build a team that can make serious runs into the NCAA tournament.

If Heath wins enough to stay around, then I will be supportive of that, but keeping him should not be based on whether we can get Self or Gillispie.  There are other good coaches out there, if the decision is made not to keep Heath.

Oliver

Why just stop at Self, Gillispie, and Pitino?  What about people like Tom Creem, Ernie Kent, or Mark Few?  It wouldn't hurt to try and get those guys.  They might all say no but I'd love to have any of them over who we have now.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: darth sooie on March 07, 2007, 11:54:02 am
Actually, there are 6 open scholarships next year not 7. I find it strange people use that against heath, he is the man you should want to sign those spots, it is what he does best. If heath returns, i don't see how he couldn't get next years team into the NCAA + he would sign 6 newcomers in the fall. It would be the following year, with all the newcomers, the team could struggle but with the talent heath hopefully would land being on campus, it wouldn't be a bad time to change coaches if heath struggles in 08-09. Bottom line, if heath returns, you should expect him for at least 2 more years. The advantages to that are, stan still might be the man, i think its still possible he could turn out to be a very good coach + the timing is much better, you would have an AD in place and maybe the bill's would be interested than or mike anderson , sadler might jump.

It makes the most sense to make a coaching change in front of a huge recruiting class.  And there will be seven scholarships available, not six.

That said, one of the major reasons why Heath was going to get fired was he had lost the respect of his players, and strangely enough, with their coach under fire, they reunited themselves for him.  Don't know what that says about the long term, but for the short term it raises hope that the Razorbacks can play up to their potential.

The hardest parts of coaching are off the court.  One of those is recruiting.  Heath has never put together a roster that fit any particular style of basketball that he wants to coach.  How he is going to resolve that misfit problem...well you won't know till next November.  By then everything might be OK, or might be too late.

Whatever, the decision on his fate should be decided by now.  The SECT doesn't matter.  A random shouting match and air-clearing didn't suddenly elevate Heath to the status of Richardson or Sutton.  If Heath stays, he will change his coaching staff again, he will sign some spring players, and we'll be hoping it all comes together at last.

It's a great time to hand over the job to somebody else, IF somebody else is available.  Even if Heath keeps the job, it will be obvious he is on a short leash, and that will be difficult recruiting against.  The team would have to make a great run in March to change that, and a great run is not out of the question.

I cannot help rooting for Heath right now.  I hope he pulls it all together.
[CENSORED]!

Mr. Prozac

I'm just saying that there's a difference in the way 18-13 and 22-14 are perceived by most people. I think you could make a better case for termination, defend that decision, and withstand the potential PR issues at 18-13 than at 22-14. I didn't say I'd like it necessarily--although if Heath is staying I think we should take the NIT bid if the NCAA bid "eludes" us.

Conway Cool Daddy

The only problem I have with his Heath is his failure to get a PG.
Ferguson, Jefferson, McCurdy, and now Ervin have all been disappointing.
If he comes back he must find a guy to handle the ball. There is no reason why we can't break a full court press.

I try and imagine what would happen if he is retained.
I see PB, Welsh,  Washington, and I start getting a feeling that the future is bright.

GHG

HawgG

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 07, 2007, 11:38:04 am
we need to keep the pressure on coach heath so the team will play with fire and passion.

that seems to be the only way to get these kids to play.

You may be on to something right there.I bet Coach Heath appreciates the love from his team, but he and the rest of the coaches are like guys play like this for at least 20 games and we would have won the SEC WEST.

These players might not like each other that much but they have one goal together and that is save Heath.

If Heath's job is safe please don't let the team know until after the SECT.

Funny I brought up this yesterday that I didn't think Heath's job was in jeopardy like we all were led to believe.

I guess we will know by Friday afternoon, because as I stated last week the UA will not fire Heath if this team wins 20 games.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on March 07, 2007, 12:15:04 pm

I'm just saying that there's a difference in the way 18-13 and 22-14 are perceived by most people. I think you could make a better case for termination, defend that decision, and withstand the potential PR issues at 18-13 than at 22-14. I didn't say I'd like it necessarily--although if Heath is staying I think we should take the NIT bid if the NCAA bid "eludes" us.

We turned down the NIT two years ago and the national press tore us apart.
Since the NCAA is now running the NIT I think it would be a huge mistake to spurn them again.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on March 07, 2007, 12:22:13 pm
Quote from: Mr. Prozac on March 07, 2007, 12:15:04 pm

We turned down the NIT two years ago and the national press tore us apart.
Since the NCAA is now running the NIT I think it would be a huge mistake to spurn them again.

I agree if we get the NIT call take it!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HognotinMemphis

Basketball at U of A has permanently lost me. I don't care if they keep Heath or fire him and have co-assistants run the team for the next 10 years. I'll never attend another Hog basketball game and haven't watched more than a few games on TV in the last 5 or 6 years.

Not trying to belittle anything or anyone in this thread but thought I'd give readers the input that the U of A has lost some fans permanently with the BS in the basketball program from '96 to present. It's a complete non-event to me.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

darth sooie

is not next year's team ratio, assuming no transfer's:

sr 6
jr 2
so 3
fr 2

Thus, you would have 6 spots open. I think there is a risk to either keeping stan for another year or firing him, impossible to know if the right move is made until it plays out. Yet, i think the timing is horrible to fire him, no AD + you got the shadow of nutt problems and than nolan's issue, throw in stan's personal attributes and maybe a learning curve, so i do favor keeping him. Yet, this year's SEC/ncaa/nit tourney could change my view.

Biggus Piggus

One is a walk-on who is temporarily carrying a scholarship.

Oh yeah, forgot to add.  There will be more than seven spots to fill.  Some underclassmen will be ushered out.
[CENSORED]!

HawgG

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on March 07, 2007, 12:19:56 pm
The only problem I have with his Heath is his failure to get a PG.
Ferguson, Jefferson, McCurdy, and now Ervin have all been disappointing.
If he comes back he must find a guy to handle the ball. There is no reason why we can't break a full court press.

I try and imagine what would happen if he is retained.
I see PB, Welsh,  Washington, and I start getting a feeling that the future is bright.

GHG

Cool Daddy you are right again.The failure to sign a PG has hurt this program more then the loses of other top recruits.

I go back to early 2003 when Daniel Gibson was committed to Heath and the program.Gibson as we know would sign with Texas and was a big part of their resurrection.

What if he would have signed with the UA.What if Klye Lowery who loved  Heath could have fell in love with Fayetteville too.Lowery was a great PG and if the UA was located in LR then he would have signed with us.He just didn't like the country.2005 PG Jovan "Wink" Adams said the samething that Lowery did.

Now having said that, Gary Ervin is good, but he has been inconsistent.If Heath stays he will sign a PG to add to this 2007 class.Arkansas will be very good next season barring injuries and that's a fact.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 07, 2007, 12:30:25 pm

Oh yeah, forgot to add.  There will be more than seven spots to fill.  Some underclassmen will be ushered out.
Will we try and fill those spots in 07 (transfered underclass openings) , or wait and bring in a huge class in 08?
I still would like us to sign a PG for next year.

razornole

hell I think it was just smoke to get folks from talking about dmw
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

The Truth

Hog fans, these are dismal prospects. Swapping Heath for Herb Sendek would be like painting a tan wall beige: a fresh coat of boring mediocrity. But if Heath is fired, what is UA really likely to do? Self is sitting in one of the thrones of college hoops, BG is about to hit a cash jackpot, and Pitino to UA is a total pipedream. Hog fans, consider this:

THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS HAS NEVER, EVER HIRED AN ESTABLISHED COACHING STAR IN A MAJOR SPORT. NOT ONCE.

In fact, the biggest coaching move in recent memory was from Springdale High.

I would LOVE to see Bill Self coaching in Fayetteville, but why in the world does anybody believe that the UA is suddenly going to make a move unlike any it has made before?
The Truth hurts.

MaconBacon

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on March 07, 2007, 12:29:01 pm
Basketball at U of A has permanently lost me. I don't care if they keep Heath or fire him and have co-assistants run the team for the next 10 years. I'll never attend another Hog basketball game and haven't watched more than a few games on TV in the last 5 or 6 years.

Not trying to belittle anything or anyone in this thread but thought I'd give readers the input that the U of A has lost some fans permanently with the BS in the basketball program from '96 to present. It's a complete non-event to me.

Oh no! we truely have a loss now!  With what you have stated, why are you here?     Why would you ANYONE would consider you as a TRUE Razorback Fan in the first place?   I think your Avatar pretty much says it all....

Cajun Hog

The feedback as been very good from all of the key contacts on coaching at the U of A. 

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hog1961 on March 07, 2007, 12:40:12 pm

The feedback as been very good from all of the key contacts on coaching at the U of A. 

I'm glad to hear you say that, and I had heard as much too two weeks ago, but I have reason after yesterday to think otherwise. Not that it means a hill of beans either way.
I think the people on the UA side of things get very excited easily. Certain agents have the ability to cause that, too.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 07, 2007, 12:12:13 pm

Well, Biggus, you're not only a sentimentalist, you've become a patriot.

I'm glad we're in this thing together.

Pignominious

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 07, 2007, 12:30:25 pm

What do you mean underclassmen being ushered out? 
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

WilsonHog

Quote from: drakehog on March 07, 2007, 12:51:16 pm
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 07, 2007, 12:12:13 pm

Well, Biggus, you're not only a sentimentalist, you've become a patriot.

I'm glad we're in this thing together.

Add me to that list as well. It's very hard not to pull for a good man to do well.