Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IMO, the SEC should suspend Ervin...

Started by Hollywood_HOGan, March 01, 2007, 01:25:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan

what he did last night was beyond dirty. He'll be a marked man in the next game. He'll be watched very very closely.  That was utterly embarrassing.

Was a Batman Carrolish type move.
I like to see fire in my favorite team, just not like that.

deshahawg

jkstock04

Hmmm guess you saw something I didn't...I thought I saw Miss. State dude talking trash first...and I know I saw him give Ervin a shoulder to the head as the first physical contact....maybe you saw something I didn't see.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: deshahawg on March 01, 2007, 01:26:55 pm
What did he do? I missed the game?

Ervin slipped his fist behind steven hill and jacked Rhodes in the man area.

You could see the dude holding it like something was done to him. Looked like he was in some pain.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 01, 2007, 01:29:41 pm

You could see the dude holding it like something was done to him. Looked like he was in some pain.

Saw it too...Thought the same thing....Actually I figured they'd do something when the officials went to the scorer's table....but I did see that Rhodes/Slater dude(can't remember which one it was) holding his nuttsack like he just got whacked in them....then saw the replay....I thought it was dirty too.....

woopig88

Why anybody would want one of our players to be suspended is beyond me. You guys know if Beverly did the same thing nobody would post something like this

hawgaramus

Was this during the initial altercation or was it after?  Didn't see anything serious happen here. 

Did think that Hill's hard foul a couple of minutes after that was intentional on his part.  You could tell he was jacked up and I thought he was going to do something like that.

spudhog

i saw the guy grab his lower region. i neve saw gary phisically touch him though. you never know what was said or done before the incident. if gary did hit him there without a good reason, yeah, i wouldn't like that. but if the guy did something bad to him, i sorta understand. i am sure their were a lot of things said when we visited starksville a couple of weeks ago. we don't know the whole story. batman on the other hand was straight up stupid.

RazorsEdge

Ervin is a fellow Nutt basher, he just bashed the wrong Nutts.

Hammibal Lecter

a quick shot to the junk is common occurance in college and nba, my sister works for a nba bball team and says besides getting treatment for plain soreness the second most heard complaint is they got busted in the taters on purpose
Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

jkstock04

What would ya'll rather seen him do after taking a shoulder to the face?  Take it like a good sportsman and do nothing, while Rhodes would get away with it?...then we most likely lose the game.  Or would you rather see him throw a right hook and mash dude's nose?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

kitshicker

I didn't see anything except the shoulder to the head, and a lot of trash talk.
I rewound it 3 or 4 times, guess I missed it.

Mr. Prozac

Couldn't see it on the replay but it did look like Ervin threw a "quickee." He just punched at shoulder height--since he's 3 feet shorter than Rhodes, he got him in the "business."...Rhodes did throw his shoulder into him a couple of times first, though.

hawgaramus

Quote from: BigHogOnCampus on March 01, 2007, 01:37:36 pm
Ervin is a fellow Nutt basher, he just bashed the wrong Nutts.

LOL......

Yeah, why is it okay for you guys to bash some nutts, but not Ervin???

WILL CLINTON

Gary Ervin is a turnover waiting to happen.

I have never, ever, ever, ever seen a team have as much trouble as the Hogs did last night just trying to get the ball in bounds.  And what is with him trying to throw over someone's head all night??
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

WILL CLINTON

I was wondering what was up with Hill and I would love to know what he said when he threw up his hands like "Let's Get it On!!"
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

LordStanleysHog

if you noticed, he didn't seem to be in too much pain during the altercation, it wasn't until after that he "fell to his knees."  Besides, he was talking all night long and you'd have to be blind not to notice that cheap shots were going on all night with both teams.  It was just a very lively game, and Ervin probably has some background info to back up his actions.  Its basketball, contrary to what people say it is, at the high level, very much a contact sport.

hogsanity

ervn gets fouled, then the guy comes over and bumps him TWICE, and it was Ervins fault?  I wish something like this would have happend a month ago, maybe we would be better than 6-9.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

kitshicker

Quote from: dubyacee on March 01, 2007, 01:42:14 pm
I was wondering what was up with Hill and I would love to know what he said when he threw up his hands like "Let's Get it On!!"
I fell out of my chair watching that...lol.
Kept expecting something else to happen after that. Refs did a good job of not letting it get out of hand.
The announcers said something about the Miss. St. bench talking trash to SH and him "responding" to them.

hydrophonic

Quote from: woopig88 on March 01, 2007, 01:34:30 pm
Why anybody would want one of our players to be suspended is beyond me.

Class and character are overrated, huh?
"The future sucks." "Change it."

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hogsanity on March 01, 2007, 01:45:32 pm
ervn gets fouled, then the guy comes over and bumps him TWICE, and it was Ervins fault?  I wish something like this would have happend a month ago, maybe we would be better than 6-9.

true, without the fight I think we drop that one. we looked really flat before the altercation.

Ervin still shouldnt have hit Rhodes in the junk though.

King-Tusk

I replayed it on the DVR and didn't see much more than a body bump.  I never saw a punch thrown.

I wish they would have had that kind of fire a month ago.  I'm proud of the guys for standing up for one another WITHOUT throwing punches. 

"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

kitshicker

Quote from: hogsanity on March 01, 2007, 01:45:32 pm
Your right on. They sure played with a lot more intensity after that.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 01, 2007, 01:53:11 pm

Ervin still shouldnt have hit Rhodes in the junk though.
Maybe Rhodes should have kept his junk in the box.

**shameless SNL reference

Conway Cool Daddy

I wondered why that guy walked away holding his baby maker.

I think the LF guys meant it was a tap in the love, instead of a love tap.

:'(

Winner

I watched it several times and never saw any punch from Ervin.  I saw Rhodes start it by shouldering Ervin in the face during a trash talking exchange.  I then saw moments after the altercation Rhodes suddenly go down and start grabbing himself.  If Ervin hit him, it certainly had an odd delayed reaction. 

hogsailor

If that guy was hurt so bad he would have gone down right when it happend.

He pulled a big baby(lsu) move on that one...

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

VinnyW

Pigskin_Porker

Earvin did not instigate that shoulder contact from the Miss. St. player.  The refs reviewed the tape so your point is moot now anyways . . .
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

HOGSWEAT

It was classy when a few seconds when Patrick Beverly heard what was said, he went over there to back up Steven and Gary, lol It was kind of funny... like a, "what'd you say about his momma?"

oh btw I got to sit ont he same row as DMAC, just across the tunnel entrance... it was pretty cool

BentonvilleJeff

I was pretty close to the court last night. In the first half Rhodes threw an elbow at Thomas and didn't care where it landed. In the second half he had a dunk and went out of his way to chest bump Hill. Before Ervin love tapped him he was talking trash in his ear. I say the dude deserved what he got and it should have been followed by a kick to the same area. I had no idea Rhodes was such a jerk until seeing him in person. He goes out of his way to start trash.

Macgyver Hawg

I too watched it and replayed it several times.  Unless Rhodes has his manly regions in his upper stomach, nothing happened.

Rhodes shoulder bumped Ervin and Ervin tapped him in the upper stomach.  Rhodes stepped back talking smack and walked under the basket and THEN grabbed his privates.  Horrible acting job.

I want to see Ervin and Rhodes in a ladder match this Sunday.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Macgyver Hawg on March 01, 2007, 02:19:59 pm
I too watched it and replayed it several times.  Unless Rhodes has his manly regions in his upper stomach, nothing happened.

Rhodes shoulder bumped Ervin and Ervin tapped him in the upper stomach.  Rhodes stepped back talking smack and walked under the basket and THEN grabbed his privates.  Horrible acting job.

true
MSU has always been dirty

Coachjy

Irvin is a thug. That's why Miss State recruited him in the first place.

wirebender25

The guy is lucky Hill didn't kick is butt.

msudawgs64

Quote from: Coachjy on March 01, 2007, 02:29:04 pm
Irvin is a thug. That's why Miss State recruited him in the first place.

lol, no that is why we got rid of him..last I checked he is a Hog now..hmmm.  ;)

Smart move getting rid of him.

But to that end, I did not see anything he did that was not warranted other than talking shite after getting fouled to someone who could knock him the hell out.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

msudawgs64

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on March 01, 2007, 02:15:01 pm
I was pretty close to the court last night. In the first half Rhodes threw an elbow at Thomas and didn't care where it landed. In the second half he had a dunk and went out of his way to chest bump Hill. Before Ervin love tapped him he was talking trash in his ear. I say the dude deserved what he got and it should have been followed by a kick to the same area. I had no idea Rhodes was such a jerk until seeing him in person. He goes out of his way to start trash.

actually he don't..got to understand that some things were probably said from the first game with our teams and it carried over. I betca if Ervin was not a Hog this would not have happened, it has not against any other SEC team.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

sshawg

You've got to be kidding. After all the trash Rhodes was talking, thumping his chest & pointing at himself, you think Irvin was the problem. Way to go Gary, & Steven & Patrick. Was proud of you.  Hollywood, did you even watch the game? Hope they play that way Saturday & the tourn.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: sshawg on March 01, 2007, 02:48:16 pm
You've got to be kidding. After all the trash Rhodes was talking, thumping his chest & pointing at himself, you think Irvin was the problem. Way to go Gary, & Steven & Patrick. Was proud of you.  Hollywood, did you even watch the game? Hope they play that way Saturday & the tourn.

You're right
I was probably over the line.
I saw the game on the internet feed. If i had attended the game, my opinion probably would have been different.

Props to Ervin, Hill, and Pbev. They showed balls and hopefully they show that fire against Vandy.

Pigmund Freud

The Hogs have traditionally been one of the cleanest  playing teams, in all sports. Because of this, and because I love them,   I have a policy of NEVER siding against them, no matter what, especially against really dirty playing teams like Miss. State and Baylor(in football). If Ervin did anything wrong , handle it internally .

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: Macgyver Hawg on March 01, 2007, 02:19:59 pm

That's the same thing I saw.

Maybe Rhodes had a birth defect and his nutts grew from his belly button...who knows.

gopigsgo

The SEC shouldn't have to do anything, it should be in house and his season should be over. I don't care what the other guys did. Someone, somewhere has to start taking action, accountability,leadership.

pork-e-pine

if indeed a sack tap occured then a suspention is appropriate.  You can't let that happen.  But i didn't see the game so i don't know what happened.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

razrken

Ervin instigated the incident....watch the tape he walked directly at the MSU player and started runnin his head.  Thats the part I don't like to see.  Thats Bush League St. Dallas Cardboy stuff

GBPackerFan

I watched that replay several times and I didn't see Ervin punch him at all.  I looked like he was about to and he started to make the movement, but then Hill got in the way.  Anyway, if he did, then good, and if he didn't, then I wish he would have.  MSU saw a target on Ervin's back and were "bumping" him all night.  And it was nice to see some fire out there on the court anyway.

HogKongPhooey

I was sitting about 5 rows from the court and it happened right in front of me.  Rhodes talked junk all night and he certainly took shots when the refs weren't looking at Hill most of the night.  It was by far the most physical game in Bud Walton this year.  The refs either chose to call it that way, or didn't see half of what was going on.

That being said, Rhodes got in Ervin's ear and bumped him twice with his shoulder and Ervin responded.  Ervin gave a quick jab to the nads.  It was right on the money and not at stomach level.  From my angle, it looked like he hit him in the right zipcode.  Now, I guess the camera's didn't get it, cause I thought when they were reviewing it, they would see it.

It was a cheap shot by Ervin, but Rhodes deserved to have his head taken off his shoulders by Hill for all the dirty play.  If Ervin had taken a swing, he's out of the game and gets a minimum 1 game suspension after that.  That was probably the best Ervin could do to retaliate for the shoulder bumps and not get caught.

kgr

Ms. State is a S*ck Egg school.  They talk trash and tend to play dirty.  If the refs won't stop the crap on the court, then it is about time someone on the team stepped up and did something about it and was smart enough to get away with it. 

The refs this year remind me of the old SWC.  The are inconsistent and incompetent.  I am biased, as I believe bb refs are just above pedophiles on the food chain.

HogKongPhooey

Also, if you'll remember the technical that Stefan Welsh drew for giving a hard foul on a 3 on 0 fast break that prevented a gimme layup.  The MSU players were talking and he talked back and got rung up for it.  I generally don't like to watch that kind of junk go on in a game, but seeing this team finally show some backbone last night was a refreshing change from getting beat by teams wanting to play thug ball.

I get tired of watching our guys wilt when challenged by a team using physical ball to take them out of their game.  That was the most emotional I've seen Steven Hill since he's been at the UofA.  He got so pissed one time at Rhodes' physical play, that he took it from the 3-point line and dunked it.

If all our guys played like that every game, we'd be the SEC West champs and talking about seeding and which regional we're going to instead of coaching changes. 

Has anyone else noticed that Washington is getting Towne's minutes?  It's because Townes for whatever reason refuses to raise his level of play.  Townes has a world of potential, but no heart to match it.

jkstock04

Quote from: HogKongPhooey on March 01, 2007, 04:26:59 pm

Has anyone else noticed that Washington is getting Towne's minutes?  It's because Townes for whatever reason refuses to raise his level of play.  Townes has a world of potential, but no heart to match it.
Did you see Townes at the end of the game when it was evident we were gonna win?  Everybody on the bench was standing and cheering and Townes is just sitting there looking as if he could care less....he is the perfect example of wasted talent.  I just don't know what to think of him.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 01, 2007, 04:30:31 pm
Quote from: HogKongPhooey on March 01, 2007, 04:26:59 pm

Did you see Townes at the end of the game when it was evident we were gonna win?  Everybody on the bench was standing and cheering and Townes is just sitting there looking as if he could care less....he is the perfect example of wasted talent.  I just don't know what to think of him.

When Stan looks back on his career at Arkansas, I bet he will regret the pampering he gave to Olu and Townes.  Those two got so much playing time they didn't earn.  If I'm Stan, I finish up this year playing guys that want to win, no matter their perceived talent level.  The criteria should be giving 100% effort every minute you're on the court.  If that means all underclassmen, then so be it.  I'd respect him more if he did.