Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Guarantee We Get an NIT Bid

Started by HeathWimp, February 25, 2007, 10:30:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HeathWimp

While watching the Ole Miss-USC East game last night, the commentators talked a little bit about the revamped post-season NIT program.  It is back down to 32 teams (from 40 last year), and they are seeded by committee.  Having money games is no longer a consideration - the most worthy teams will be invited, regardless of the number of seats they may sell.  Furthermore, the best teams will be hosting games, regardless of their fan following.

Based on this, if Arkansas tanks the rest of the season and winds up 16-15 overall, I do not think that we would be one of the top 32 teams left after the NCAA tourney has picked its teams.  Even if we did squeeze in, we would have to play on the road, which would surely be a loss.

Thus, there is a good chance that we won't be selected for the NIT, and even if we are, we would probably turn down the bid because we would not have any home games.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

SexyBeast77

We're not going to the NIT with no coach.

mword

RhodeHog

Quote from: schweine on February 25, 2007, 10:36:53 am
NIT shouldn't exist.

What are you talking about?  There should be a second best tournament in every sport.  ;)

Silver Hog

owl

My guess is -- No invite unless we do fairly well in the SEC tourney. I would bet on one and out there.
OWL says SUPPORT THE HOGS

HeathWimp

Pretty pitiful - we may get rejected by the NIT...
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

98hogs

Its called the Not invited tournament and if we can't fill BWA during the reg season why in the heck would anyone want to go.  Get the misery over with and start over. 

Ball Hawk

Are you serious?? Yeah the NIT isn't as good as the NCAA Tournament but are you people that gutless and have no competitive spirit?? That's part of what's wrong with you people.....You should try to win everything you do, even if it's in the NIT.
Quote from: secfan30 on February 16, 2015, 11:01:56 pm

They are a perfect example of what happens with 10-12 generations of inbreeding.

elksnort

No, but let's don't let go of the rope fellas. Let's give Stan one more year. I'm sure he'll turn it around.

ark30inf

The purpose of the NIT is for the remaining 32 programs to have a forum to prove that they should have been invited to the NCAA.  Thats a pretty decent thing to have.  It gives one team a case to make and helps keep NCAA selection honest.

Whoever gets into the NIT should try to win the thing.

SexyBeast77

February 25, 2007, 12:42:09 pm #12 Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 12:50:02 pm by SexyBeast77
I still agree with ME. If the coach gets fired for his terrible season, we're not sending our team to the tournament with no coach. Ugh, go on Preston Cranford, you never play you be the coach. No point in going to the NIT to work on a system if a new coach is coming in to install a new one anyway.

polandhog

I say we SHOULD do the NIT... it would be fun for the fans and for us... any postseason is better than none... let stan coach out with a little dignity.

msudawgs64

NIT shouldn't exist.

interestingly enough the NIT is the original tournament, started in 1938. 
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

Arkstfan

NIT shouldn't exist.

Why not? Only 21% of all teams make the NCAA Tournament. Even with the NIT less than a third of teams make post-season. Compare that to football where around 60% go on to post-season or even baseball where nearly 30% get to keep playing.

Unless the field is expanded the NIT should exist.

LJHOG

If invited, go.  If going, win it.

weresoclose

Quote from: LJHOG on February 25, 2007, 02:49:37 pm
If invited, go.  If going, win it.

We can only win pre-season tourneys.

arkansaspanic

we should go... we need all the postseason experience we can get even if it is the NIT. 

stronguard

No no no no no.  We should not expose the talent that we have returning to any more of STANLEY's ridiculous offensive sets, or lack thereof.  Let the players know that we are committed to them winning next year.  Remove STANLEY immediately and send some sort of intermediary to ferret out which major coaches would be available for the job.  The list should be at least 12 coaches long and money should be of NO concern whatsoever.  There should be no coach hired until after the sweet 16 round is played, at least.  Someone put in a good word for me being on the next "committee" that White sets up so I can give these grand high poobahs some harcore fan perspective.

STANLEY must go.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

bacon lover

Quote from: elksnort on February 25, 2007, 11:48:33 am
No, but let's don't let go of the rope fellas. Let's give Stan one more year. I'm sure he'll turn it around.
Thats what the fans of enron said.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 25, 2007, 10:38:00 am
NIT shouldn't exist.

What are you talking about?  There should be a second best tournament in every sport.  ;)

Yeah, they should do the same thing with bowl games. Oh wait...they do. And we go to them too!
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Silver Hog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 25, 2007, 03:58:37 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on February 25, 2007, 10:38:00 am
NIT shouldn't exist.

Yeah, they should do the same thing with bowl games. Oh wait...they do. And we go to them too!
And we still lose with HDN coaching.

RedRock

Coaches and teams look at the NIT as rebuilding for the following year.  The theory is that more practicing and playing will only make the team better.  IMO, get this year over ASAP and start the rebuilding with a new coach.  Playing in the NIT under Heath will only delay the inevitable.  Besides, Stan may personally need to attend both tournaments to maximize his exposure for other coaching opts.

hoggystyle78

After Stan declined the NIT 2 years ago, I think it would be hilarious if the NIt snubbed the Hogs, remember, you reap what you sow.

bigyellowdog

No way they accept an NIT bid which could put them up against ASU this year either.

seqco

Pretty sad state of affairs people are arguing over the freaking NIT! man I so disgusted with the basketball program.

Qbackinman

Frank won't let them go anyway if the NIT wants to pit the Hogs against either ASU or UALR. And you know the NIT would want that kind of matchup.

seqco

A-State and UALR they even gonna be considered for the NIT??

peakhog

Let's see. NIT means more practice! Let's practice inbounds plays, picking up our driblle in a trap, lazy passes into the middle, screaming at the coaching staff, I'm losing my mind!

ballhog™

If there is going to be a new coach it should be declined.

If Stan stays we should play.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

DezNuttstehsuq

Quote from: touchdown on February 25, 2007, 11:46:28 am
Are you serious?? Yeah the NIT isn't as good as the NCAA Tournament but are you people that gutless and have no competitive spirit?? That's part of what's wrong with you people.....You should try to win everything you do, even if it's in the NIT.

Its not OUR problem its the teams and coaching staff to have some guts and competitive spirit during the year.  In no way, shape or form was this team and coaching staff giving maximum effort at all times during the year.

HeathWimp

Quote from: RedRock on February 25, 2007, 04:18:08 pm
Coaches and teams look at the NIT as rebuilding for the following year.  The theory is that more practicing and playing will only make the team better.  IMO, get this year over ASAP and start the rebuilding with a new coach.  Playing in the NIT under Heath will only delay the inevitable.  Besides, Stan may personally need to attend both tournaments to maximize his exposure for other coaching opts.

I agree.  More practice will only hurt this team.  Heck, they have been practicing all year, and have gotten progressively worse.

HeathWimp

Quote from: bigyellowdog on February 25, 2007, 04:28:17 pm
No way they accept an NIT bid which could put them up against ASU this year either.

ASU isn't going to the NIT.  They will either win their conference tourney (unlikely) and go the NCAA tourney, or they will be staying home.  They are not having a good enough year to be one of the 32 best remaining teams.  Same for UALR.  I agree with other posts, though.  If it was possible that we would play ASU or UALR, we would definitely not be going.

holtzhog

Arkansas is toast. Plan on your vacation working around the house

gopigsgo

Let this dog die. I'll be surprised if they give more than a half hearted effort in the SEC tourney. They seem to be done. Stick a fork in em!

HeathWimp

Quote from: gopigsgo on February 25, 2007, 07:45:55 pm
Let this dog die. I'll be surprised if they give more than a half hearted effort in the SEC tourney. They seem to be done. Stick a fork in em!

Unfortunately, we will probably be playing TN again.  If we get blown out at home, how will we do on a netural court?

H-O-double g

We could lose everygame by 20 from here on out, and we will still get invited to the NIT. The real question, is whether we would accept the bid.

scrooge245

We'll make the NIT because we will sell tickets.  Plus, Stan would want to go out after some sort of post season appearance to open the doors for a great ASSISTANT coaching job. :razorback:

pigfeet

TRUHOG718

Now isnt that freggen ironic. Not getting invited to the N.ot    I.nvited    T.ournament.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

FrankBoaryles

Who cares if we don't get invited to the NIT. 

Dugann

yea we might not even get to the NIT if they don't win a few more. I hope we do make the NIT the players need it and the FANS.  Even if it is the NIT we need something + imo.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Space Man

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 25, 2007, 10:30:45 am
While watching the Ole Miss-USC East game last night, the commentators talked a little bit about the revamped post-season NIT program.  It is back down to 32 teams (from 40 last year), and they are seeded by committee.  Having money games is no longer a consideration - the most worthy teams will be invited, regardless of the number of seats they may sell.  Furthermore, the best teams will be hosting games, regardless of their fan following.

Based on this, if Arkansas tanks the rest of the season and winds up 16-15 overall, I do not think that we would be one of the top 32 teams left after the NCAA tourney has picked its teams.  Even if we did squeeze in, we would have to play on the road, which would surely be a loss.

Thus, there is a good chance that we won't be selected for the NIT, and even if we are, we would probably turn down the bid because we would not have any home games.

Arkansas has played a strong schedule, so they will not be left out if they have a winning record.  Arkansas might as well play in the tournament and gain some experience, because they will not be able to pursue a coach until the first couple rounds of the big dance are completed.   

hillhog

We should go to NIT, if invited, more shooting practice, do not let DT take a shot beyond 5 ft, CT within 10 ft, Hill 5 ft., Weems, Beverly from anywhere, Ervin cannot pick up the dribble, Hunter forbidden to drive to the basket, etc. Run inbounds plays until the nose bleeds, pass drills till they cannot pick up their arms. And someone come up with a drill that instills HEART

SexyBeast77

Do all you people talking about the NIT would be a good experience not understand that we will be changing coaches at the end of the year? why are we going to "work on" and get "experience with" Heathball Tactics when he's probably gone?
FUTILE!

ProfusionalHog

I really hope the NIT doesn't invite us.  However, if we are invited, I don't want to deprive the upper-classmen of another chance to play some basketball.

HeathWimp

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on February 26, 2007, 08:51:46 am
Do all you people talking about the NIT would be a good experience not understand that we will be changing coaches at the end of the year? why are we going to "work on" and get "experience with" Heathball Tactics when he's probably gone?
FUTILE!

I agree.  More practice under the Heath Bar's system will only result in us sucking even more!  They have practiced all year, and have gotten much worse as the season has progressed.