Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This Just In

Started by The Broadcaster, February 24, 2007, 02:19:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Texasbite

Quote from: pignation on February 24, 2007, 06:05:20 pm
Hard to fire a coach who was SEC coach of the year and his teams lost to 4 of the top 7 teams in the country.  Wish it would have been different and that it ended differently.  It is "What have you done for me lately" and Heath hasn't done it.

Set aside some of the hate for HDN and realize that wins and losses is what we should be after.  Lately, Heath's teams not good after a couple of years of recruiting some pretty good players.  Nutt's team did extremely well.  We'll see how Nutt does next year.  If he doesn't bring the wins, then he needs to go.

It's about wins and losses.  I don't know what goes on behind closed doors.  Much of it is speculation and he said she said.  I like Stan, but we gotta have wins.  Same for Houston, same for any coach.  Don't really care who the coach is and won't follow them after they leave here and root for them or their team.  If they aren't a Razorback, I'm not interested.

I agree, its about wins and losses, that's why its so crazy that after 5 and 6 - 4 and 7 seasons NUTT wasn't fired, doesn't make sense.  Would have been perfect, fire NUTT hire Davis.  Pretty simple

razorsox

Quote from: Karma on February 24, 2007, 05:52:51 pm
Quote from: razorsox on February 24, 2007, 05:35:12 pm
Nutt and Heath both have been incompetent at times on the field/court.  But only one of them has embarassed the university off the field!  This university will make a huge mistake if they fire Heath and let Nutt stay.  It will send a message that "the black basketball coaches are held to a higher standard than the white football coach"
You just sent the message "I don't know what I'm talking about."
Really, then why are the so quick to get rid of Heath when his perfomance is comparable to Nutt's and he hasn't caused agony for the university off the court.  And before you use the Hugger 10 WIN excuse...Arkansas is the last team in the west to win 10 games since Nutt has been here.
The last thing we need is a bunch of rednecks running around with McFadden Cowboy jerseys.

bwbcpa

Houston owes Stan a HUGE thanks. If it weren't for the Bball team's downturn, Houston's antics would still be the main focus of the fans. As it is, Stan's dilemma has taken some of the heat off HDN for the time being.

holtzhog

Good post. Nutter gets away murder and Stan is dead meat. Hold on to your lug nutts because its time for an overhaul

r-neezy

Quote from: BartIV on February 24, 2007, 02:40:39 pm
Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on February 24, 2007, 02:37:35 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on February 24, 2007, 02:33:45 pm
Quote from: BartIV on February 24, 2007, 02:28:05 pm
Fire Stan and Nutt at same time, then there is no controversy. If they fire Stan and Not Nutt, say what you want, it will be a nolan Richardson trial all over again, as it should.

No, it won't. There is a simple equation here.

Lawsuit = End of coaching career. 

Heath is not going to sue the university. There is no case.  He has no hardware and there is no specific example that he was racially discriminated.  Besides Heath can't even chew out a ref, how is this guy going to sue a major university?
Firing a black man who has had winning seasons every year.
Keeping a white man who has had losing seasons and has nothing but a 10-4 season to stand on.
Stan has not had a winning season every year. Please go back and look at the stat books/

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: r-neezy on February 24, 2007, 06:51:21 pm
Fire Stan and Nutt at same time, then there is no controversy. If they fire Stan and Not Nutt, say what you want, it will be a nolan Richardson trial all over again, as it should.

Heath is not going to sue the university. There is no case.  He has no hardware and there is no specific example that he was racially discriminated.  Besides Heath can't even chew out a ref, how is this guy going to sue a major university?
Keeping a white man who has had losing seasons and has nothing but a 10-4 season to stand on.
Stan has not had a winning season every year. Please go back and look at the stat books/

you're right.  just this year, and last year, and the year before that.   the first two with GOMEZ as the scoring threat, yeah, 'twas losing.

So i guess 2 losing seasons @ stan's BEGINNING of career = worse than = 2 losing seasons EIGHT YEARS INTO NUTT'S?

The Broadcaster

Why am I getting negative karma? Just wondering. I just sent my source to a moderator
I ain't saying, I'm just sayin'

Fayetnam

Great guy! Sure struggles on the road, and now has lost 3 at home this year! NEXT!

BartIV

Quote from: r-neezy on February 24, 2007, 06:51:21 pm

I fixed it a while back, go back and look at the postings.

RhodeHog

Quote from: The Broadcaster on February 24, 2007, 07:07:43 pm
Why am I getting negative karma? Just wondering. I just sent my source to a moderator

Get used to it.  We all get bad karma.  I'm sure I'll get bad karma just for saying we all get bad karma...hint, hint, come on guys!

taoteching

Nutt had two loosing seasons.  Nutt has disgraced the state.  Fire Nutt...not Stan Heath.

The Broadcaster

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 24, 2007, 07:16:06 pm
Quote from: The Broadcaster on February 24, 2007, 07:07:43 pm

Get used to it.  We all get bad karma.  I'm sure I'll get bad karma just for saying we all get bad karma...hint, hint, come on guys!

Actually I just applauded you for saying that haha.
I ain't saying, I'm just sayin'

BartIV

Quote from: taoteching on February 24, 2007, 07:21:06 pm
Nutt had two loosing seasons.  Nutt has disgraced the state.  Fire Nutt...not Stan Heath.
No, at this point you have to fire both and start off fresh.

CheeZ_PuFF

I do like Stan but i believe we need to fire both.

I know the national media will be all over us for doing that but we also need to make it clear that we are dedicated to winning after we fire them.

I would hope that it will show some recruits that we really do want to win and we're dedicated to that and not just feeding crap like some Nutts.

HogFaninGA

February 24, 2007, 09:14:24 pm #214 Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 09:28:09 pm by HogFaninGA
Quote from: bphi11ips on February 24, 2007, 02:39:10 pm
In all seriousness, in light of Houston Nutt's record in 2004 and 2005, if we fire Stan Heath we damn sure better replace him with an African-American coach.  Otherwise Stan will be able to establish a prima facie case of racial discrimination in employment.

Lets presume HDN will survive and coach for the next season (I don't think he will), I can easily see people looking into this.  If Stan decides (I doubt it) to file suit he will certainly have a case.  As everyone knows, people can file suits for anything.  Will they win is another matter.  Frankly it doesn't matter if he wins or not.  The suit in and of itself will cast another racial cloud over the Hill.  The press will dig up old tapes of the Nolan trial, Nolan will talk to the press, and worst of all (bad for some good for others) lawyers will take depositions and make inquiries into things that might uncover other things.  Nobody will come out of this smelling good no matter who ultimately wins in court.  The U of A better be careful with this one or it could blow up in their faces.

Flatline

Hard to fire a coach who was SEC coach of the year and his teams lost to 4 of the top 7 teams in the country.  Wish it would have been different and that it ended differently.  It is "What have you done for me lately" and Heath hasn't done it.

Set aside some of the hate for HDN and realize that wins and losses is what we should be after.  Lately, Heath's teams not good after a couple of years of recruiting some pretty good players.  Nutt's team did extremely well.  We'll see how Nutt does next year.  If he doesn't bring the wins, then he needs to go.

It's about wins and losses.  I don't know what goes on behind closed doors.  Much of it is speculation and he said she said.  I like Stan, but we gotta have wins.  Same for Houston, same for any coach.  Don't really care who the coach is and won't follow them after they leave here and root for them or their team.  If they aren't a Razorback, I'm not interested.

It has nothing to do with wins and losses.  It has to do with money and butts in the seats.  Heath is done due to the lack of support by the fans and boosters.  Nutt is in trouble because of donations being pulled and people giving up skyboxes and when they don't donate they are telling them that when Nutt is gone they will be back.  That is how coaches get fired. 

HogFaninGA

Quote from: MLH on February 24, 2007, 09:21:05 pm

It has nothing to do with wins and losses.  It has to do with money and butts in the seats.  Heath is done due to the lack of support by the fans and boosters.  Nutt is in trouble because of donations being pulled and people giving up skyboxes and when they don't donate they are telling them that when Nutt is gone they will be back.  That is how coaches get fired. 

Coaches also get fired for doing unethical and illegal things.

Flatline

Quote from: HogFaninGA on February 24, 2007, 09:22:30 pm

Yep.

bphi11ips

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission will be very interested in Stan Heath's Charge if he is terminated and Nutt is not. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Flatline

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 24, 2007, 09:27:08 pm
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission will be very interested in Stan Heath's Charge if he is terminated and Nutt is not. 

Heath won't go there.  I don't see him as that type of person.

HogFaninGA

Quote from: MLH on February 24, 2007, 09:27:48 pm

He might not have to.  Others might bring this to the attention of the media.  Also it doesn't matter if there is no basis for it, if (big IF here) the media wants to make waves they certainly could.  If they will is another matter.  True or not, if this gets any attention it will certainly bring more bad attention to the Hill.  As I said the U of A better be careful with this one.  I'm certain people are paying close attention to their every move especially now.  Make a misstep and BOOM they will go on attack.

RhodeHog

The great Reverand Al Sharpton won't ask his permission!  ;)

arcowboy

More than anything , I think there will be an uprising among the fans.  Stan has kept things clean, losing is not good and empty seats aren't to his favor.  Nutt has messed up the fanbase, itegerity of the program, lies, and on and on.  He used Gus and the Springdale players to sell out the stadium last yr, there is no doubt about that.  PTB had better use their heads and realize that.   I am not sure DMac coming back this yr will cause a sellout of season tickets.   Then for sure next yr theywill not have anything to sell.  A new coach in both sports will bring back the hope and we will all want to be there again.

oldtimerhog

Can't fire a class act like Stan Heath and let Nutty stay.  Nutt going is first priority, then worry about Heath. 
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MLH on February 24, 2007, 09:27:48 pm

I agree.  He'll go about his life with the class he has exhibited in Fayetteville.  If the shoe were on the other foot what would you predict Houston would do?

Another question.  You're on the jury in the case of Heath v. UA and are aware of all the facts.  Stan is fired and Houston isn't.  Has the athletic department engaged in racial discrimination? 

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: HogFaninGA on February 24, 2007, 09:14:24 pm
Quote from: bphi11ips on February 24, 2007, 02:39:10 pm
In all seriousness, in light of Houston Nutt's record in 2004 and 2005, if we fire Stan Heath we damn sure better replace him with an African-American coach.  Otherwise Stan will be able to establish a prima facie case of racial discrimination in employment.

Lets presume HDN will survive and coach for the next season (I don't think he will), I can easily see people looking into this.  If Stan decides (I doubt it) to file suit he will certainly have a case.  As everyone knows, people can file suits for anything.  Will they win is another matter.  Frankly it doesn't matter if he wins or not.  The suit in and of itself will cast another racial cloud over the Hill.  The press will dig up old tapes of the Nolan trial, Nolan will talk to the press, and worst of all (bad for some good for others) lawyers will take depositions and make inquiries into things that might uncover other things.  Nobody will come out of this smelling good no matter who ultimately wins in court.  The U of A better be careful with this one or it could blow up in their faces.

Heath will not do that. Heath is a smart man that wants to coach again. such lawsuit would ruin his coaching career, not to mention the fact that he has not got it done on the court. look at today for instance? losing a home game by 11 to a 0 and 8 road team? this has nothing to do with race, heath is just a terrible HC. good AC maybe but he would have nothing to gain with lawsuit.
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

PinkPig

Quote from: HogFaninGA on February 24, 2007, 09:22:30 pm

Let's hope that HDN gets fired and soon.   I'm afraid if people start digging into his "management" of the football program, bad things that we don't even know about will be uncovered that will be bad for the program and the UA.  In fact, I would not be surprised to read any day that the NCAA decides to investigate the background of the emails as well as the sequence of events in the recruiting of Malzahn and the Springdale players.  No telling what problems are there that we don't know about yet.  Very troubling.

Also, as many people here have already said, Nutt has already hurt recruiting.  He can't recruit most of the best Arkansas HS players already, and the longer he stays, the worse I think it will be.   It is now a matter of recruits wondering if Nutt's word can be trusted, and based on what has happened, they will no doubt be persuaded that the answer is NO, Nutt cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

Poor Stan seems to be a really nice guy, but in over his head as HC here.
"Censorship of anything, at any time, in any place, on whatever pretense, has always been and always will be the last resort of the boob and the bigot."
― Eugene O'Neill

bacon lover

Quote from: BartIV on February 24, 2007, 02:20:54 pm
How can they fire Stan Heath and Not houston nutt.
Who is your source?
Its all about the wins. Not about wins and caricature

JustoHogFan

Stan is not a great coach, he is young, and he has had a valuable learning experience at Arkansas that may help him be a good coach later on.... I just dont think he will ever be a good coach in a power conference such as the SEC... His demeanor and personality are better suited to be a really good coach at the major to mid-major conference level, just as he showed at Kent St.... Not only his personality but also his lack of teaching and in-game coaching skills are not up to the challenge....

Stan is a great guy and helped us out of a dark period but now it is time to part ways, and I hope Heath lands a good job at a mid-major conference and does very well...

Good Luck Stan, Cuz your gonna need....

Blue35

Quote from: oldtimerhog on February 24, 2007, 09:36:16 pm
Can't fire a class act like Stan Heath and let Nutty stay.  Nutt going is first priority, then worry about Heath. 

Nutt deserves to be fired more than Heath does.  The biggest difference between the two situations is the integrity issues with Nutt.  Nutt deserves to be fired because of his lying ways along with his dismal wining record in the SEC notwithstanding the past 10-4 season. 

Heath is an impeccable individual well liked by all, unfortunately unless he starts winning he will have to be fired too. Heath probably understands that and if he is terminated he probably would leave like a gentlemen.  Can't say the same for old dale though.  Nutt will do anything and everything to avoid being fired. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: bacon lover on February 24, 2007, 09:49:49 pm
Who is your source?

I once had a caricature done. It wasn't pretty.

Maybe Stan's seasons are a caricuture of Hooten's.

BartIV

Quote from: bacon lover on February 24, 2007, 09:49:49 pm
Who is your source?
We gave Stan Heath a 2 year free pass because he had Nolan Richardson kids.
Nutt had his greatest success with Danny Fords kids, without Fords kids, what was Houston Nutts record.

hogman64

Quote from: missippihog on February 24, 2007, 03:18:10 pm
Nevermind Phoggy, nevermind. Pointless to argue with some people.
Quote from: opineonswine on February 24, 2007, 03:17:03 pm
Quote from: missippihog on February 24, 2007, 02:51:38 pm
In FB we went to the Capital One Bowl which is the best bowl outside the BCS, this means the 5th best bowl right? That would be equal to at least the sweet 16 round in BB. We don't even have a "real" chance to make it to the tourney now.

One down, one on a banana peel and one won't make it to 2008.  My life is turning around.

when the transition is complete hogville will be a different place........hogville respects outstanding coaches... i dont see any negative things about our track coach or baseball coach........funny how we are only negative about coaches in way over the heads..............Nutt, Stan, Gardner...........Fire them all........

bwbcpa

February 24, 2007, 10:49:41 pm #233 Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 10:57:09 pm by bwbcpa
I don't see either Houston or Stan getting axed until a new AD is in place and that won't be until Jan '08. I think we have both of these guys at least through the next Fball and BBall season. Anyone notice that Mr. White came out with a public statement in support of Nutt, but hasn't expressed any support for Stan?

hawaiianhogster

Fire everyone in sight. It's time to start a new chapter.

Hogphilia

Quote from: missippihog on February 24, 2007, 02:22:56 pm
Who is your source?

Lets see, 10 win FB season VS sub 500 BB season with 1 road win. Not hard to figure out.

Let's see 2 years at 4-7 and 5-6???? And you wanna let Stan go but not Nuttboy?

Let me get the phone numbers for Jesse and Al...We go some marchin' to do.

(Don't get me wrong, I want Stan gone too...but he cannot go until the REAL underachiever is axed).

trufanofhogs

He is safe. Actually, If this bunch will keep playing this hard, and hold the turnovers down, they could make some noise in the NCAA

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: Hogphilia on February 25, 2007, 07:16:02 am
Who is your source?

Lets see, 10 win FB season VS sub 500 BB season with 1 road win. Not hard to figure out.

(Don't get me wrong, I want Stan gone too...but he cannot go until the REAL underachiever is axed).

You guys are totally missing the point. HDN is filling his arena, he has fan interest at a very high point. SH is on the verge of bringing in 1500 per night like auburn does.
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

Hollywood_HOGan

they may have a tough time doing that now.

polandhog

Quote from: The Broadcaster on February 24, 2007, 02:19:34 pm
Just heard that Stan Heath WILL BE FIRED the day the team gets back from the SEC Tournament. This is coming from a reliable source who works close to the team. Please don't delete this post because it is not a rumor it is a fact that was told to a reporter for a NW Arkansas paper.

So, would that day be SUNDAY?

I LOVE IT!

EAT YOUR CROW HOUSTON!

trufanofhogs

IMO, he saved his job with victory over Vandy yesterday. You just can't fire a guy after a 20 win season.

timmyhog

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on March 10, 2007, 03:10:41 pm
Who is your source?

You guys are totally missing the point. HDN is filling his arena, he has fan interest at a very high point. SH is on the verge of bringing in 1500 per night like auburn does.

I know this is naive, but I've never gone to any sporting event to watch the coach... the PLAYERS are the ones who are responsible for filling the stadium/arena... and now this VERY TALENTED bunch of hogs are finally starting to play to their potential... Go HOGS!  Auburn is a true football school with no Bball tradition... to compare their bball program to UA is a joke... if the Hogs fielded a team of high school kids, there would be more than 1500 people show up to watch them!

chiefsfan

I can see this conversation now

Heath:  "Coach Broyles, here is the SEC Tournament Trophy we won for you, and a piece of the Georgia Dome Net"

Broyes:  "Stan, you've been a pleasure to have for these 5 years...but I think we need to move in a new.........Wait, did you say SEC Championship Trophy?"
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hawgfan80

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on March 10, 2007, 03:10:41 pm
Who is your source?

On the verge of 1500 per night? how is that?

msudawgs64

Quote from: trufanofhogs on March 10, 2007, 03:15:03 pm
IMO, he saved his job with victory over Vandy yesterday. You just can't fire a guy after a 20 win season.

tell that to Nebraska after their football coach went 9-2..

If his contract stated that he would make the Sweet 16 in year 5 and he does not make it, he can be fired for non-performance or whatever the language is, regardless of 20 wins.  Yes, it sucks but it is the nature of the business.  But with that said, I can't see Heath being fired.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.