Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Heath is Gone, Remember this Name

Started by WilsonHog, February 23, 2007, 11:09:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WindyCityHog

jkstock04

I'll need to be able to pronounce his last name before I can rememeber him.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BigE_23

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 23, 2007, 11:09:36 am
http://goairforcefalcons.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/bzdelik_jeff00.html

It may become important.

Everyone seems to have already anointed Gillespie, but there are other guys out there that would do great at the UA. I've watched this guy's teams, and I'm always impressed. In my opinion, if he can have the success he has at the AFA, then he could turn our situation around in only 1 season.

hogtusk

I don't think we will go to a Mid Major for a coach, we have one now.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: WindyCityHog on February 23, 2007, 11:11:23 am

It may become important.

YES.

The guy has brought the Air Force Academy out of...well....nowhere.

I'll take him.
Remember, not too long ago a guy named Stan Heath brought Kent State out of...well...nowhere.  Are we sure we want to go down that road again?

Unibarber

Two words:  Steve Shields
He's earned a chance.
That was a called play, and I called it!
Get the original McFadden T-Shirt at www.southernts.com
T-SHIRT OFFICIALLY BANNED BY UA:  NO LONGER AVAILABLE

BigE_23

Quote from: hogtusk on February 23, 2007, 11:14:55 am

This guy's not just a first year mid-major coach, I think you need to read the bio again. His resume is alot more impressive than 1 cinderella year at Kent State.

jkstock04

Thats what I was thinking.  Maybe we should stop going after the experimental coaches just to save a buck.  I like Stan Heath, but when he gets the boot, I think we should go after a big name guy.  Isn't that what colleges commited to winning do?????
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Winner

Quote from: BigE_23 on February 23, 2007, 11:14:49 am

It may become important.

Everyone seems to have already anointed Gillespie, but there are other guys out there that would do great at the UA. I've watched this guy's teams, and I'm always impressed. In my opinion, if he can have the success he has at the AFA, then he could turn our situation around in only 1 season.

any coach that comes in will have a great season next year with the talent on campus.  the question will be can they keep the talent coming in.

BigE_23

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 23, 2007, 11:17:23 am
Thats what I was thinking.  Maybe we should stop going after the experimental coaches just to save a buck.  I like Stan Heath, but when he gets the boot, I think we should go after a big name guy.  Isn't that what colleges commited to winning do?????

Eddie Sutton came from Creighton, Nolan came from Tulsa. Both coaches from mid-majors and I'm pretty sure they did OK.

Don't think that a good coach can't come from a mid-major program just because we made one bad hire.

Winner

thank you.  stop gambling.  it's like betting a longshot horse.  the reward is greater but you don't usually get it.  take the sure thing, and pay for it.  like we did with Van Horn, and amazingly, he's got Arkansas in the Top 5.

WindyCityHog

A poster PMd me and asked a good question....

Is the "z" silent in the last name.

I have heard both....anyone know?

Winner

Quote from: BigE_23 on February 23, 2007, 11:23:30 am

Eddie Sutton came from Creighton, Nolan came from Tulsa. Both coaches from mid-majors and I'm pretty sure they did OK.

Don't think that a good coach can't come from a mid-major program just because we made one bad hire.

there's probably plenty that would do great.  but my thinking is, why risk it?

football17

Sorry for those who hate women's basketball, but if Susie Gardner is indeed gone and White and Bev don't give Joe Foley at UALR a chance, then they have no sense whatsoever....

hogtusk

It is kind of like a 2-star or 4-star recruit, both have a chance at being great but your odds are better with a 4-star.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

jkstock04

Good point.  But why should Arkansas be the school to give these up and comers a chance to show what they can do?  Why take the gamble?  Let some other school find out if they really are a good coach, while we go after someone who has already proved himself.

If they are truely commited to winning in basketball.....unlike football, they'll go after a proven winner and quit screwing around with the up an comers.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

razorpimp

I just don't believe that Bill Self will come here.......I think that guy from AFA would be a good fit here.  He makes his players play hard....so..so long: Townes and the rest of our lazy players.

BigE_23

February 23, 2007, 11:36:57 am #18 Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:43:51 am by BigE_23
Quote from: Winner on February 23, 2007, 11:24:04 am

thank you.  stop gambling.  it's like betting a longshot horse.  the reward is greater but you don't usually get it.  take the sure thing, and pay for it.  like we did with Van Horn, and amazingly, he's got Arkansas in the Top 5.

Hiring Heath was a huge gamble, we hired him after his FIRST season as a head coach of a mid-major program.
But look at the hire Tennessee made with Bruce Pearl, was that a gamble?
West Virginia made a "gamble" by hiring Beilein, and it has paid off.

Here's the bottom line, some of these coaches that you call "gambles" have, at the present, built better programs than what we have right now, I just don't see those guys as gambles.

Are you telling me that you wouldn't be excited if the coach of Southern Illinois came here?
Look at the passion and hustle those 6'8" post players play with, what could coach Chris Lowery do here with the Talent we have and the facilities we have?
I think we need to take a long hard look at we are calling a "gamble"

One bad hire doesn't mean that there aren't great mid-major coaches out there.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hogapalooza on February 23, 2007, 11:27:13 am
Maybe we can set a New and Distinctive path for Men's NCAA basketball.   We go and Get the Best Woman to coach our boys. 

if those kids won't listen to heath, how are they going to listen to a woman?

Not being sexist, its just the way things are.

hogsanity

I want a coach who realizes that guard play, ABOVE ALL ELSE, determines success or failure in college bb right now. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

blueshog2001

Wilson, can you describe his style of play and coaching?

Hollywood_HOGan

no doubt there are some good mid major coaches out there but some coaches are just made to coach at the mid major level.

Dana Altman is a good mid major coach

Stan Heath is another good mid major coach.

However i think Chris Lowrey (SIU) would be a very good fit here at arkansas. His team is rated in the top 15 and he's been there a while if im not mistaken.

Unibarber

I change my mind.  We should pay for the best we can get while we still have a chance at a coach that remembers the national championship.  
That was a called play, and I called it!
Get the original McFadden T-Shirt at www.southernts.com
T-SHIRT OFFICIALLY BANNED BY UA:  NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Hollywood_HOGan

February 23, 2007, 11:44:21 am #24 Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:48:15 am by Hollywood_HOGan
Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2007, 11:40:56 am
I want a coach who realizes that guard play, ABOVE ALL ELSE, determines success or failure in college bb right now. 

before Nolan left there were a TON of fans screaming for some good big men.

We have those but they just aren't coached very well.

But you do have a point.  A team with good guards will take you a looooong way. A good example is Nolan's 00 team. We really struggled and got beat up inside but that team full of guards exploded and took 4 games in 4 days.

Thats the last time i felt really good about the basketball program.

Jaison Black

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 23, 2007, 11:15:11 am
Quote from: WindyCityHog on February 23, 2007, 11:11:23 am

It may become important.

YES.

The guy has brought the Air Force Academy out of...well....nowhere.

I'll take him.
Remember, not too long ago a guy named Stan Heath brought Kent State out of...well...nowhere.  Are we sure we want to go down that road again?

JB has been at Air Force for more than one year. He has some of his own players in there now. He has also been a head coach in the NBA.

Stan had one good year with a team that had been to the NCAA tourney the year before. That team should have gotten deeper the next year with all the returning starters they had and another year of experience.
I love my kids, but this is my baby.http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/razr76/Side.jpg

hogsanity

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 23, 2007, 11:44:21 am

But you do have a point.  A team with good guards will take you a looooong way. A good example is Nolan's 00 team. We really struggled and got beat up inside but that team full of guards exploded and took 4 games in 4 days.

People wanted GOOD big men because they ASSUMED that was the problem with Nolans teams, but the problem was poor shooting guards, which limited the ability to press. 

The 00 sect is a great example.  Dean, Gipson, Cleveland, heck all the guards, were unconscious shooting for 4 days. 

Look at the "mid majors" that make runs in the NCAAT.  95% of the time they win the battle of the guards. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bacon The Saddle Again

What about Lickliter the Butler head coach?

BigE_23

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2007, 11:50:57 am

People wanted GOOD big men because they ASSUMED that was the problem with Nolans teams, but the problem was poor shooting guards, which limited the ability to press. 

The 00 sect is a great example.  Dean, Gipson, Cleveland, heck all the guards, were unconscious shooting for 4 days. 

Look at the "mid majors" that make runs in the NCAAT.  95% of the time they win the battle of the guards. 

Remember this discussion come March, I PROMISE that every one of the teams that make the sweet sixteen will be teams that have a good point guard that can take care of the ball, and At least another guard that can shoot. Success in March is always contingent on good guard play, and that will never change.

Dr Swineglove

Good points.  We were also screaming for 'classy,' 'rebounding', 'fundamentals,' and 'good recruiter.'  Heath either is or coaches all the above; unfortunately, he is also not a good motivator.  I think we had a low opinion of good motivators during the ugly divorce from the Richardson era.  Oh, how we'd like to have our good motivator back (which, by the way, I take as synonym for 'good head coach' or a coach who gets the team to play hard, not the sort of backhanded compliment Nolan always thought the term implied).
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Buk69

BigE_23

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on February 23, 2007, 11:52:45 am
What about Lickliter the Butler head coach?

The list of good mid-major coaches can go on and on. There are plenty out there and I think it would a mistake to not consider them just because we got burned one time.

By the way, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I think when it's all said and done Stan Heath will coach again and will be successful, I think he was in over his head when we hired him and he's been struggling to survive ever since. I think he'll eventually land at another mid-major program and will do well.

fanofthehog

Reggie Theus, New Mexico State.  Nolan style ball, energetic coach who has pulled NMSU out of a deep hole.  He is a coach that isn't scared to get up in a ref's face from time to time.  Also, he is cocky as heck, I like that in a coach. 

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2007, 11:50:57 am

no doubt
back in the old NCAA basketball days it was all about the big man

Here in the past 15 or so years its been about the guard. Mainly point guard.
If a team gets hot from three, they can pull off some upsets and beat some good teams.

These teams like Bradley, Valpo, Mason, UWM, Kent State etc etc all have (or had) good solid fundamentally sound guards who can handle the rock and stroke it from three.

Usually your NCAA champion will have a really good group of guards also

oldbooniehog

No More "up-and-comers" from mid-majors.

No. Stop it. Now.

Lay out the long green and go buy a quality, proven D-1 head coach.

oldbooniehog

razorpimp

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 23, 2007, 11:43:17 am
no doubt there are some good mid major coaches out there but some coaches are just made to coach at the mid major level.

Dana Altman is a good mid major coach

Stan Heath is another good mid major coach.

However i think Chris Lowrey (SIU) would be a very good fit here at arkansas. His team is rated in the top 15 and he's been there a while if im not mistaken.

I think this year is Lowery's third year at SIU......but the team he inherited had been to 2 straight NCAA tourney's before he became head coach.  So he didn't exactly build the program, but he has taken what was there and made it better....

I like him to.....I don't think we need a proven head coach to come in here.....we just need a head coach that knows how to coach and light a fire under these player's butts.  We have the talent, just need some fear put in them.  I think Lowery is the right fit.

Pignominious

This guy isn't a mid major coach.  His credintials are impressive.  He has 5 years of head coaching experience, which includes 3 years in the NBA.  He has won at Air Force for two years in a row.  In my book he's a winner. 
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Razorod

a true up-and-comer.

I know many are nervous about getting a coach from one of the mid-majors. But remember, both Heath and Nutt were only at their resective universities for ONE season prior to coming to the UA. There are plenty of solid coaches out there who could do a great at the UA if given a chance. I think the guy at Air Force may well be one of them. In addition to his experience at the Academy, he was a head coach in the NBA. The key issue for him would probably be recruiting.

Quote from: blueshog2001 on February 23, 2007, 11:41:53 am
Wilson, can you describe his style of play and coaching?
I'm not Wilson, but I've watched them play and its a bit of a slow down game. Of course, that may have more to do with winning with his current talent than anything. Also, they only average 1 point a game less than we do this year. Of course I think that says more about us than them.

A buddy of mine in Boston said BC coach Al Skinner will be looking to move after this year. He's been a winner in a tough conference. What do you think?

Razorod

Pesonally, never been impressed with Skinner coached teams. Would get us back to tourney, but not much more than that in my opinion.

TMc

We are going to go after a name coach and will spend the money (within reason).., no more up and comers and betting on the come.

ASUHog

Mister_BS

Jeff Bzdelik (pronounced Buzz-DELL-ick), the Air Force coach, is known for tough defensive teams that look to run and shoot the 3.

Air Force is still running a halfcourt version of the Princeton offense that was put in here in 2000 by Joe Scott, who returned to Princeton when that job came open after the '04 season.

I covered the game in November when Air Force beat Wake Forest by about 36 points. They looked to run and hit a bunch of 3s.

Bzdelik was the Nuggets coach from 2002-04 after spending 1988-2001 in the NBA with three teams as an assistant or scout.

Bzdelik is rumored to be a top candidate for the Colorado job, whose coach has resigned effective end of the season.

Space Man

Quote from: football17 on February 23, 2007, 11:27:02 am
Sorry for those who hate women's basketball, but if Susie Gardner is indeed gone and White and Bev don't give Joe Foley at UALR a chance, then they have no sense whatsoever....

Joe Foley is the best coach in the state, and I am not talking about just women's basketball. 

Space Man

Quote from: Razorod on February 23, 2007, 01:39:01 pm
a true up-and-comer.

I know many are nervous about getting a coach from one of the mid-majors. But remember, both Heath and Nutt were only at their resective universities for ONE season prior to coming to the UA. There are plenty of solid coaches out there who could do a great at the UA if given a chance. I think the guy at Air Force may well be one of them. In addition to his experience at the Academy, he was a head coach in the NBA. The key issue for him would probably be recruiting.

You can not lump coaches into one category based on previous coaching levels.  Billy Donavon came from Marshall, and most of the great college coaches, such as Nolan came from mid-majors. 

PintailKiller

Quote from: Unibarber on February 23, 2007, 11:16:19 am
Two words:  Steve Shields
He's earned a chance.

NO way.  He's not up to the caliber of previous UALR coaches such as Mike Newell - Mr Suntan or Porter Moser.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

joshUARK

I've always heard his name pronounced:
Bizz - del - ick

I think he'd be an outSTANDING hire.