Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ENTIRE NOLAN INTERVIEW

Started by barry150, February 17, 2007, 09:11:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

barry150

I know this has probably been posted.
I just watched the entire unedited Nolan interview on KFSM.
I am stunned.

www.kfsm.com

LoseAnutt

It's amazing what you get out of a man's statements when they are not selective edited by the Frank Broyles controlled local sports media.

Quote from: barry150 on February 17, 2007, 09:11:22 am
I am stunned.

www.kfsm.com
I can't get the audio to work. What did he say that was surprising? I'll hang up and listen now.

barry150

Quote from: Karma on February 17, 2007, 09:15:57 am
Quote from: barry150 on February 17, 2007, 09:11:22 am
I am stunned.

www.kfsm.com
I can't get the audio to work. What did he say that was surprising? I'll hang up and listen now.
You really have to hear the whole thing.  I just could not sum it up in one word....other than wow.

HogFaninGA

BayouBengalPat

WTH is he talking about Robert Johnson for?
Geaux Tigers

bwbcpa

I just finished listening to the whole thing twice through. It is impressive that he is saying "I told you so" but not gloating about it. He acknowledges that Frank has done some great things for Arkansas and truly recognizes that the Razorback Nation was a large part of his success in basketball. He also sounds as if he knows more about coaching a football team than Houston! Could you imagine "60 minutes of hell"  with Nolan and Gus!?

John Futrall

PennHOG

WOW!  I've got a ton more respect for Nolan now. 

Did you get the sense that he is still a big fan?  I sure did.

I think he's gotten alot wiser since his demise.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

grizzlyhawg

Wow....Nolan really laid it all on the line there.

I wonder if he would want Frank's job? hehe

idochog

Nolan was right but his anger didnt allow him to handle it right.

Proves to me he was probably really really treated like crap in spite of his success
I love Jesus!

davehog

I have ALWAYS thought that Nolan would have made a GREAT football coach.  His defense would be based on playing a LOT of players, as fatigue makes cowards out of all of us.  He would probably instruct his defensive players to tee off on the QB as many times as possible (cut off the head of the snake and it will die).  We would probably lead the nation in personal foul penalties, but opposing offensive team would be downright scared to play Arkansas.  Then on offense it would be a hurry up no huddle style with lots of deep passes.  Again, lot of substitutions with the overall strategy of tiring out the other team.

Tiredofhogssucking

Wow....

You can see Nolan's Passion for the University of Arkansas....

How about Nolan as Replacement for Frank! 

HOW IRONIC WOULD THAT BE!!!!!

discombobulationist

It's funny how he cracks on FBs big innovation, "the third down pooch kick".
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

holtzhog

Nolan's anger was fueled by the feeling of getting screw by the man.

Temprees

Quote from: holtzhog on February 17, 2007, 10:36:25 am
Nolan's anger was fueled by the feeling of getting screw by the man.
If by "the man" you mean JFB, then you are correct.  And Nolan was correct about JFB, also.

TushCrush

Well said Nolan:
QuoteWhat bothers me the most is that lies were always being told. And you look at the soap opera now - everybody's lieing.

QuoteHey ... he's 82 years old. What else is left for him to do?

QuoteNow it's coming out ...

N HOG

Quote from: discombobulationist on February 17, 2007, 10:32:47 am
It's funny how he cracks on FBs big innovation, "the third down pooch kick".

You corrrectly identified the greatest part of the interview:

"Nobody uses the pooch kick now."

It doesn't get any better than that.

CorningHog

That is the absolute BEST video and I had to stop from laughing out loud!  In fact I did a few times, you know those deep belly laughs because not just because it is funny, but it is the truth!

If anyone looks back at my posts on here about Nolan Richardson, you will find that I have always held him in high regard and felt that he in fact was done dirty.

Nolan as AD would be the BIGGEST BOLDEST MOVE by an SEC program or college athletic program EVER!

It would also be the smartest move ever made.

Of course, the old money folks who might be a little bit prejudice might pull back on the giving....you never know.  The good ole boy network might be exposed.

Actually, I think deep down the grass roots fans all the way to the big donors would come to appreciate Nolan far beyond what anyone could imagine and it would be a breath of fresh air to have someone like Nolan who cowers to nobody and speaks the truth regardless of how painful it might be.

I love how Coach Richardson tells it like it is (the truth that is) and doesn't apologize for it either!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

hawgfan4life

Nolan was a great coach and was NEVER given the grace that other coaches have recieved.  Racially motivated or not, it happened.

NR went through an endless NCAA investigation that resulted in a few minor infractions and sanctions and it drug on forever.  In fact, he went through 3 or 4 different ordeals with the NCAA.  How about when the NCAA removed two players eligibility from playing at AR incorrectly, later recanted, allowed a player to transfer back to AR after already screwing the player, the coach, and the program.  That player was Sunday Adaybayo (spelling).  Recruiting went down during and immediately after that last NCAA mess when other schools said AR was going to be heavily sanctioned.   While HDN was given two years to flounder and then have an opportunity to rebuild, NR was heavily scrutinized with no support from admin.

NR's daugter was sick and NR trying to build a team and Wally goes on television and says he had done a lot of soul searching and felt NR deserved one more year.  What a freaking ego WH has to think he was in a position to make that decision.  What an embarrassment to the UofA, fans of AR, and our state that it was even a decision to be made at the time.  NR should have been given a pass for that season without question from anybody and should have had the admin come out and give unwaivering support.  In fact, FB was publicly noncommital on whether NR would be retained and it was festering in the state until the Chancellor came out publicly stating NR was the coach and would be the coach.  Then FB fell in  line and came out publicly with the same stand.

NR was called the "N" word from the fans at home games early in his tenure and I know because I heard it yelled from a few fans myself sitting in the arena.  It was often used in a sentence where he could go along with bringing Sutton back.  If fans are bold enough to yell it to him in Barnhill, it makes you wonder how many wrote letters, telephone calls, etc.   Heck, even the AD used the word at a banquet.  I believe that the judge's opinion of the lawsuit basically supported a lot of what NR said occured was racially inappropriate and his suit wasn't thrown out because it lacked merit in that area.

Too many fans took too much of NR's comments too personal.  When he made the Red Neck SOB comment, NR was only referring to the fans that had been harrassing him, players, and other coaches with inappropriate comments.  He made a comment aimed at a select few unfans and it was blown out of proportion by others including the media that knew NR's target and intent.  It was NOT a sweeping description of all fans and those that are still offended by it so badly are probably some of the unfans it was aimed at in the beginning.

NR made several mistakes, he said things he shouldn't have said, he probably needed to step down at the end of the season he was fired.  However, all things considered, he certainly deserved more from AR fans and the school administration than he received for a majority of the time he was at the UofA and those areas of failure certainly served as a catalyst for a lot of the things he probably shouldn't have said and done.

I certainly hope that NR and his teams are given the praise they deserve sometime in the near future.

MartHog

Impressive Interview.  My hat's off to you, Nolan.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

TEXAS=Orange.  Tennessee=Orange.  TEXAS=Tennessee.  And I wouldn't root for TEXAS if they were playing the fricking Taliban.  So I guess that means I wouldn't root for the Vols either.  Or the fricking Rebels.  Hell, I hate 'em all.

holtzhog

SpareRib

When Nolan was in court with the UA, I made some harsh comments about him to my son-in-law who had played for Hatfield and had some knowledge of the inner workings of things on the hill.

He defended Nolan, and said, "Dad, you just don't know all that he had to deal with."  He was reluctant to elaborate and I didn't press it.

Nolan, I owe you an apology, and my son, I should have listened to you more closely.

Pork Out
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

superjw

The best interview I've seen in years - thanks Nolan - I'm glad you still live here and I hope to hear more from you in the future.  I know some people don't like you but whenever EVERYONE likes you somethings wrong.
The Law of Insanity is this - doing things the same way and expecting different results.

mikeirwin

To me the most interesting part was when he talked about the QB's being pulled, "cold turkey."
He's used that phrase before in explaining how some players get pulled and dissappear.
Years ago a reporter (maybe Bob Holt) asked Nolan about his starting lineup. Nolan said the starting lineup didn't mean squat to him. He explained that he moved players on and off the floor all the time. A spot on the bench was always temporary. He said, I don't cold turkey my players.

MizK

Excellent and candid interview with Nolan.  I loved the fact that he didn't gloat, he told it like it was and I'm sure that he feels vindicated.  We now need to move forward instead of backward.  I also owe my husband an apology--he's backed Nolan & said that he got screwed. 
Quote from: Wildhog on April 01, 2011, 05:28:33 pm
You're in the tavern, bro.  It's like Thunderdome.

Quote from: Fort Dweller on November 09, 2011, 10:00:46 pm
Pay attention XHOG.  this is that wrath I was telling you about.  The wrath of MizK.

N HOG

Quote from: Woody on February 17, 2007, 12:21:26 pm
The best line had to be when he said "One year we were trying to win with the neighborhood team".  He got mad because everyone complained about him not signing in-state kids.  So he signed Hankins from Elkins, Jason Gilbert and the 7-footer who was also from Arkansas.  The Pooch kick stuff was pretty good too.  Also, no Nolan interview would be complete without a reference to his Granny.  Good stuff.

I speculated that was what he was talking about with the "neighborhood team," but wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Neighborhood gang, pooch kick, cold turkey -- good stuff.

CorningHog

Mike Irwin, PLEASE...PPPPLLLEEEEAAASE!  Get more interviews with Nolan!  When the time is appropriate.

I enjoyed this interview to the FULLEST!

There is not a better storyteller in Arkansas than Nolan.  He tops even Broyles!  He has a great sense of humor but instantly gets back to the point and is always painfully honest.

I like that!  You and Nolan have a lot in common and I would think he would open up even more to you!

"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Flatfoot

Nolan got screwed by the white haired devil period.  Nolan is an outspoken african american who will stand up for what he believes to anyone. 

He will tell the truth no matter the situation. 

That is a refreshing quality in the days of spin.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

beachhawg

That was a very well addressed reply from Nolan.  I have heard him speak before and he is a VERY good speaker

N HOG

Here is what stood out to me:

The interviewer would ask a question and Nolan would answer it.

Then, the viewer didn't have to wonder what Nolan was trying to say or what the hidden agenda was.

Very refreshing, especially in light of all the crap we' ve been putting up with from the PTB.

JustoHogFan

This is incredibly refreshing to know that Nolan, the last coach to bring us a NC, is finally being redeemed and the truth is being released

Hawgrox

Nolan....the Ultimate Darksider....

Pragmatic PiG

this is golden

thanks for posting it B

hview

Could he ever return as basketball coach at Arkansas?

CSNuts

Quote from: mikeirwin on February 17, 2007, 12:03:25 pm
To me the most interesting part was when he talked about the QB's being pulled, "cold turkey."
He's used that phrase before in explaining how some players get pulled and dissappear.
Years ago a reporter (maybe Bob Holt) asked Nolan about his starting lineup. Nolan said the starting lineup didn't mean squat to him. He explained that he moved players on and off the floor all the time. A spot on the bench was always temporary. He said, I don't cold turkey my players.

Yeah, but then he took it to Robert Johnson.  He said RoJo could have handed the ball off just as well as the other guys.  I have a great deal of respect for Nolan, but that one felt like he was trying to play the race card, in my opinion. 

He's still pretty bitter and I for one, have never really blamed him for feeling that way...

Scott E.

Actually, I agree with Nolan on the Johnson question.  Why burn MM's redshirt to make him a handoffer?  RoJo could do that.  Casey could do that. 

RBLtoHOG

In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

blacksuit

Quote from: fade2black on February 17, 2007, 03:22:35 pm
Actually, I agree with Nolan on the Johnson question.  Why burn MM's redshirt to make him a handoffer?  RoJo could do that.  Casey could do that. 

Definitely true. The true motivation for bringing mustain here wasn't so we could win. It was so the athletic department could sell tickets. When the chips were down, they put him in there to please the mob, not to build a winning program.

N HOG

Quote from: CSNuts on February 17, 2007, 03:19:00 pm

Yeah, but then he took it to Robert Johnson.  He said RoJo could have handed the ball off just as well as the other guys.  I have a great deal of respect for Nolan, but that one felt like he was trying to play the race card, in my opinion. 

He's still pretty bitter and I for one, have never really blamed him for feeling that way...

You misunderstood what he was saying about ROJO.

He said The Dale "cold turkeyed" ROJO just like he did Mitch -- and his point was any QB would have been just as good as another when the main purpose was to hand it off.

Pignominious

Nolan is my hero.  Bring him back.  I bet you he would come back with the same fire but wiser.  A very deadly combination.  Down with the butt kissing good old boy network!  We deserve better than mediocrity and Chuck Barret driven call in shows!
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

rev. tim

Yes, the interview is insightful and Nolan makes it obvious that the dysfunction now in full view has been simmering out of sight for several years.  His comments regarding the differences between pride vs. ego and leadership vs. control are dead on and I applaud him for being a truth teller.  Anyone who is 82 years old and still has as much power as JFB is obviously operating out of ego and a deep rooted need to be in control.  If you've ever read Skip Bayless's book God's Coach you can see that Jerry Jones was right to compare JFB to Tom Landry - but not in the positive way Jones was attempting to make that comparison.

Tom Landry and JFB were my heroes when I was a boy.  But they both made the same mistake - they stayed too long.  Landry's legacy was actually salvaged to some extent because of the unprofessional way Jones fired him - Landry became a simpathetic figure as a result.  JFB will not have that opportunity - he is determined to stay in control to the bitter end.

Speaking of bitter, Nolan has to take responsibility for his contributions to his own downfall.  He sounds like he's made nice with the Razorback nation but I don't remember him ever giving any sort of apology for what he said and the way he said it.  Everyone has faced hardship, heartache and difficulty in their lives.  It's time to move on.

gwddog

Wow, hats off to Nolan. I let the spin machine control my thinking back then on that whole mess. Nolan I'm sorry and a great interview by you.
back 2 back 2 back

Metallihog

All I can say is now that Nolan is no longer angry he sure can put things in perspective. That was a fantastic interview.

Temprees

I believe that your feeling are incorrect.  Nolan believed that RoJo was "cold turkeyed", just like Mustain. 

hoggolf3

I liked how he said that he succeeded everywhere else he had been so he knew he could do it here.

Sounds like somebody Nutt ran off earlier this year.

Franchise_Hog

Damn Nolan looked old...I hardly recognized him at first.

beansandtaters

I will forever love Nolan Richardson for the basketball seasons I got to witness as a kid. I was 12 when the national title was won and watching it with my dad is one of my favorite childhood memories. I too was very upset at Nolan when his comments were made that led to his firing. However, after all of the BS of the last football season, I realize that I was fooled by JFB's PR spin machine. That will never happen again. Get the good ol boy system out of here and start over.

vbhogman

I watched the full interview this morning and came away with the impression that most of you did.  I went to far in my disdain for Nolan.  I talked bad about the man, and misjudged his intentions and actions.

I still believe that Nolan handled it wrong.  I think he should have taken different avenues to deal with the issues besides a press conference, but I believe he was justified in feeling the way he did.  The man put up with some of the same type bunk that Gus, MM, and DW dealt with. 

I agreed with all of his points and especially the one's about all of Frank's "yes men" in the media and on campus.  If I ever see him in public, I intend on apologizing to him for misjudging him. 

CSNuts

Quote from: N HOG on February 17, 2007, 09:51:32 pm

You misunderstood what he was saying about ROJO.

He said The Dale "cold turkeyed" ROJO just like he did Mitch -- and his point was any QB would have been just as good as another when the main purpose was to hand it off.

Thanks for letting me know what you think he meant.  He never mentioned Mitch by name, at least not in the interview I listened to, but again, thanks for lining me out on that.  Boy, do I feel stupid now...