Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It may take another Sutton to put Arkansas basketball back on the map....

Started by Hollywood_HOGan, February 12, 2007, 09:15:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kuhog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 12, 2007, 12:38:56 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 12:30:42 pm
Quote from: oldbooniehog on February 12, 2007, 10:55:39 am
No more Suttons.

No more "up and comers" who've done some "notable things" for some "mid major."

No more young, inexperienced coaches.

It's time for an established, D-1 coach with a record of success to be brought in.

Just like North Carolina got back to prominence by buying Kansas' coach Roy Williams away from the Jayhawks, that's what Arkansas needs to do now.

oldbooniehog

uh,
arkansas is a good basketball school but it does not even approach North Carolina.
We could make the final four the next 10 years and not approach North Carolina.

We could have gotten a big time coach if this was 1996. Fact is Arkansas basketball just is not what it used to be.

We can get a good coach, just not a big name type.

I don't know if I agree with you here.  Arkansas still has a lot of pull with it's basketball program.  We couldn't get names like Roy Williams, Coach K, Jim Boheim, Mark Few, Billy Donovan,  etc.  but I do think we could get the Billy Gillespie, Ernie Kent, Bill Self (not that I would want him), Tubby Smith, or Kelvin Sampson (if he was available).  Those aren't as big of names but they are still big names.

We could have an outside chance to land a Billy Gillespie, or an Ernie Kent, but there is no way we could land a Bill Self, Kelvin Sampson, or a Tubby Smith. Not unless these coaches are run out of their respective programs. Seriously, how could Arkansas pull these guys from some of the most respected programs in the history of college basketball. Your talking about Kansas, Indiana, and Kentucky. No way these guys leave these positions and take a demotion to coach at Arkansas. These programs have had a century of success while Arkansas has had a couple of successful decades.

As Arkansas basketball stands, we would be extremely fortunate to attract a coach of Gillespies caliber. In order to do so, we would have to dish out some serious dollars. More than likely, we will put forth the effort to hire a coach with a positive upside, that has exceeded expectations at a non-power basketball school. At least that will be a step in the right direction.

Soooie21

Bomis Hawg

Duggar Baucom at VMI would make Nolan's teams look slow.  Those dudes put up a lot of shots and points.

They are averaging 102 ppg (granted giving up 98).  They also average a whopping 43 treys ATTEMPTED per game.  And, they actually make 32% of them.

Lt. Caffey

Okay, let's get something settled once and for all.
1). Billy Clyde Gillispie WILL NOT come to Arkansas ... no matter what he price. Why? He's got A&M in the Top 10, he's a Texas guy, he's got deep juco ties in Texas as well as the surrounding states, A&M will open the checkbook and say "How much?", and A&M has a strong, deep Alumni base that will make sure he gets what he wants.
2). Bill Self  WILL NOT  come to Arkansas. He's at Kansas for goodness sake. The only job he'd leave Kansas for is Oklahoma State if they run Sutton off. He's got deep OSU ties, and that would probably be the only job he'd leaves Kansas for.
3). Arkansas isn't the job it once was, so guys at schools like West Virginia and such and even Few at Gonzaga aren't going to bolt from competitive programs just to come to Arkansas for the sake of coming to Arkansas. It isn't happening, unless they are running from something.
4). The only logical coach for Arkansas, should they have an opening, is Nebraska's Doc Sadler.
     1). He's an Arkansas guy — born and raised in Greenwood.
     2). He's got Arkansas ties — was a manager and grad assistant under the much-beloved Eddie Sutton.
     3). He's got recruiting ties across the nation and is a tireless recruitor.
     4). He's highly respected and liked among Arkansas high school coaches and had a great repore with all of them.
     5). He's a proven winner — won at the high school level, junior college level, and, now, NCAA level.
     6). He's proven he can do more with less — Nebraska has double-digit overall wins and has been competitive, for the most part — in all of its Big 12 games. Sure, Kansas routed them, but that happens to the best of them. If you use the argument that he won with Gillispie's players at UTEP, okay, but he's winning with players that Collier basically was going to get fired over.
     7). He's a disciplinarian — There's not going to be any of the inmates running the asylum fiascos and players WILL play hard for the full 40 minutes ... not just 35 minutes, 30 seconds.
     8). He's a coach players respect and will play hard for — former players have said as much countless times.

There may not be a change at Arkansas, I don't know, but if there is, Doc should be at the top of the list.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: Lt. Caffey on February 12, 2007, 02:29:28 pm
Okay, let’s get something settled once and for all.
1). Billy Clyde Gillispie WILL NOT come to Arkansas ... no matter what he price. Why? He’s got A&M in the Top 10, he’s a Texas guy, he’s got deep juco ties in Texas as well as the surrounding states, A&M will open the checkbook and say “How much?”, and A&M has a strong, deep Alumni base that will make sure he gets what he wants.
2). Bill Self  WILL NOT  come to Arkansas. He’s at Kansas for goodness sake. The only job he’d leave Kansas for is Oklahoma State if they run Sutton off. He’s got deep OSU ties, and that would probably be the only job he’d leaves Kansas for.
3). Arkansas isn’t the job it once was, so guys at schools like West Virginia and such and even Few at Gonzaga aren’t going to bolt from competitive programs just to come to Arkansas for the sake of coming to Arkansas. It isn’t happening, unless they are running from something.
4). The only logical coach for Arkansas, should they have an opening, is Nebraska’s Doc Sadler.
     1). He’s an Arkansas guy — born and raised in Greenwood.
     2). He’s got Arkansas ties — was a manager and grad assistant under the much-beloved Eddie Sutton.
     3). He’s got recruiting ties across the nation and is a tireless recruitor.
     4). He’s highly respected and liked among Arkansas high school coaches and had a great repore with all of them.
     5). He’s a proven winner — won at the high school level, junior college level, and, now, NCAA level.
     6). He’s proven he can do more with less — Nebraska has double-digit overall wins and has been competitive, for the most part — in all of its Big 12 games. Sure, Kansas routed them, but that happens to the best of them. If you use the argument that he won with Gillispie’s players at UTEP, okay, but he’s winning with players that Collier basically was going to get fired over.
     7). He’s a disciplinarian — There’s not going to be any of the inmates running the asylum fiascos and players WILL play hard for the full 40 minutes ... not just 35 minutes, 30 seconds.
     8). He’s a coach players respect and will play hard for — former players have said as much countless times.

There may not be a change at Arkansas, I don’t know, but if there is, Doc should be at the top of the list.

With all due respect, I heard that Nick Saban wasn't leaving Miami for Alabama.  A&M will always be second tier in the Big 12 and in the state of Texas.  Arkansas has tradition and talented players on campus, something we did not have when Nolan left.  You could be right about Gilispie, I would just like to see us make him say no before we write that name off. 

oldfart

No to Kelvin Sampson and others of his ilk, we dont need guys who left their teams in the hole with NCAA probation.

Lt. Caffey

I agree with you. As a colleague of mine once told me, you'd hate not to ask the prettiest girl in school to the prom and then find out at your 10 year reunion that if you'd asked her that she would have gone with you. Sure you have to ask, but I would almost bet that Gillispie .. and likely Self ... would say 'thanks for asking, but the guy you need to talk to is Doc Sadler.'

I realize that I am probably biased because I'm from here in the River Valley, but I know that I there is a change and Doc is hired that Razorback basketball would be the buzz around these parts, and people would be scraping every nick and dime to buy tickets to watch them.

Bomis Hawg

Check this out.  Best records in their first year as a head coach.

First-Year Coaching Victories (NCAA all-time) 
1. Bill Gutheridge, North Carolina (1998) 34-4
2. Bill Hodges, Indiana State (1979) 33-1
3. Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh (2004) 31-5
4.  Stan Heath, Kent State (2002) 30-6
John Warren, Oregon (1945) 30-13
6.  Mick Cronin, Murray State (2004) 28-6
7.  Doc Sadler, UTEP (2005) 27-8
Phil Johnson, Weber State (1969) 27-3
Blaine Taylor, Montana (1992) 27-4
Tevester Anderson, Murray State (1999) 27-6
John Phillips, Tulsa (2002) 27-7
Chris Lowry, Southern Illinois (2005) 27-8

Doc Sadler is at Nebraska, which is not where you go when you are looking for a proven winner program wise.  They haven't won a regular season conferenc title since 1950.  And, Doc is changing a lot there -- winning games.

I think Doc is a legit candidate.  Personally, he'd be behind Billy Gillespie and Jay Wright for me.

Lt. Caffey

Yeah, Gillispie would be great, but he isn't and won't come to Arkansas. And the cat at Villanova? Not sure about how that fit would work out.
If there is an opening, there's a lot that has to be considered because there will be a lot of things to fix other than basketball — a disenfranchised fan base (attendance has been low) being one. There would have to be a lot of PR work done to get folks in Arkansas fired up about basketball again, and Doc would be perfect for that. He's instant energy and would bring Hog Nation together.

Who knows?  I hope Stan and the guys get this turned around and they make the tournament and have a good run. They're too talented not to.

jamie72921

Quote from: HogsGranpa on February 12, 2007, 01:32:00 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on February 12, 2007, 01:24:56 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 01:19:31 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on February 12, 2007, 12:58:25 pm

This is a negative approach.

To think this, you have to believe that the 90's were just some lucky thing, never to be achieved again. In essence you have to believe that Frank Broyles was right in Dallas.

you make absoutely no sense whatsoever

If you are a positive person, then you believe the Razorback program is capable of achieving at the highest level. Especially given the fact that has done so in the recent past.

If you are negative, you say the Razorback program can't compete with the North Carolina's and Dukes, again despite the fact that we held winning records against these programs in the recent past.

You either believe we can compete, Posititive.

Or you believe we cannot compete and should settle for the days when we didn't (Sutton).

Understand?
Eddie Sutton's team beat #1 North Carolina, who had a senior player named Michael Jordan, at Pine Bluff.

Sutton won his share of big games, and hardly ever got blown out.

Back in Sutton's days, Houston and Texas were big games with national attention
[/quote]

If you honestly believe that Arkansas basketball was considered an elite program under Sutton, I just don't know what to tell you.

We had a lot of fun here in Arkansas with them, but nationally we weren't feared or even mentioned in discussions of basketball's elite at the time.

We have been, just not under Sutton.

We have the tradition, We have the facilities. All we need is a proven commodity as head coach.

Scott Sutton is not that man, neither is Doc Sadler, and I like Doc personally.
Bless your heart

seqco

jbell96

I know most of you will think this is crazy, but I think we could get Rick Pitino if the money was right. Rumor has it that Rick isn't too happy at Louisville playing second fiddle to UK. Not to mention his style of play would please those of us that miss the days of 40 minutes of hell.

Porquemada

I see the RimRockers have a new coaching consultant with a very impressive resume. Bonus - he doesn't care much for the Arkansas AD or FB coach either.

oldbooniehog

All this Sutton-worship makes me shake my head.

Um, under Nolan, the Hogs went to THREE FINAL FOURS and WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Also, the Hogs were in the top 5 teams for winning percentage for the entire decade of the 1990s.

But no.

Let's ignore that.

Arkansas isn't really an "elite" program, and can never hope to be.

Just forget that anomaly known as the 1990s.

Nope, let's get back to another Sutton, and being a "good" team that everyonce in a while has one or two "good players" and sniffs a Final Four about once every 12 years.

Good.......Grief..........

oldbooniehog

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on February 12, 2007, 09:36:31 am
My top....

Billy Gillespie (TAMU); Bill Self (Kansas)/Mike Anderson (Missouri); Jay Wright (Villanova); Doc Sadler (Nebraska); Mark Few (Gonzaga)

If you want some other choices: The guy at Clemson is one.  Lickliter at Butler.
If you want an up-and-comer coach: Travis Ford at UMass or Tony Bennett at Wazzou.

And, I would be alright with Heath returning.

Of those coaches you mentioned, only doc Sadler would want to come to Arkansas.  I think Doc would jump at the first chance he got.  That guy is a winner.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

HogsGranpa

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 13, 2007, 01:03:00 am
Quote from: HogsGranpa on February 12, 2007, 01:32:00 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on February 12, 2007, 01:24:56 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 01:19:31 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on February 12, 2007, 12:58:25 pm

This is a negative approach.

To think this, you have to believe that the 90's were just some lucky thing, never to be achieved again. In essence you have to believe that Frank Broyles was right in Dallas.

you make absoutely no sense whatsoever

If you are a positive person, then you believe the Razorback program is capable of achieving at the highest level. Especially given the fact that has done so in the recent past.

If you are negative, you say the Razorback program can't compete with the North Carolina's and Dukes, again despite the fact that we held winning records against these programs in the recent past.

You either believe we can compete, Posititive.

Or you believe we cannot compete and should settle for the days when we didn't (Sutton).

Understand?
Eddie Sutton's team beat #1 North Carolina, who had a senior player named Michael Jordan, at Pine Bluff.

Sutton won his share of big games, and hardly ever got blown out.

Back in Sutton's days, Houston and Texas were big games with national attention

If you honestly believe that Arkansas basketball was considered an elite program under Sutton, I just don't know what to tell you.

We had a lot of fun here in Arkansas with them, but nationally we weren't feared or even mentioned in discussions of basketball's elite at the time.

We have been, just not under Sutton.

We have the tradition, We have the facilities. All we need is a proven commodity as head coach.

Scott Sutton is not that man, neither is Doc Sadler, and I like Doc personally.
[/quote]

i have followed Arkansas basketball since the Glen Rose days, and I can remember playing UCLA at UCLA, with John Wooden as their coach, and we had a 100 put on us.  It was a joke of a basketball game.

We managed to get in the NCAA tournament, under Rose, and lost first round game to Cincinnati who had Oscar Robertson.  Got blown out.

Never made anything under Lanny Van Iman.

Then Eddie Sutton came, and things changed in 2 years,.

We started winning, playing high profile games, getting on regional and national TV, and, of all things, getting national ranked in the polls.

My best trip in watching Razorback sports, was the year Sutton's team went to Final Four, 1978 I believe, and I got to go to Albuquerque, NM and saw the Hogs beat UCLA, to advance to the Elite 8.

I had to pinch myself, that I was not dreaming.  Arkansas Razorbacks beat the UCLA Bruins in a NCAA basketball game playoff.  We knocked them out of the tournament.

We then won the Regional, went to the Final Four, and lost to Kentucky, the eventual tournament winner,

At that time, there was a 3rd place consolation game, and we beat Notre Dame, who had lost to Duke in the Final Four, on a last second shot by Ron Brewer, Sr.

That was Arkansas basketball became "big time basketball", and it was Eddie Sutton, who changed it, with Arkansas native basketball players.

Quote from: Lt. Caffey on February 12, 2007, 02:29:28 pm
Okay, let’s get something settled once and for all.
1). Billy Clyde Gillispie WILL NOT come to Arkansas ... no matter what he price. Why? He’s got A&M in the Top 10, he’s a Texas guy, he’s got deep juco ties in Texas as well as the surrounding states, A&M will open the checkbook and say “How much?”, and A&M has a strong, deep Alumni base that will make sure he gets what he wants.
2). Bill Self  WILL NOT  come to Arkansas. He’s at Kansas for goodness sake. The only job he’d leave Kansas for is Oklahoma State if they run Sutton off. He’s got deep OSU ties, and that would probably be the only job he’d leaves Kansas for.
3). Arkansas isn’t the job it once was, so guys at schools like West Virginia and such and even Few at Gonzaga aren’t going to bolt from competitive programs just to come to Arkansas for the sake of coming to Arkansas. It isn’t happening, unless they are running from something.
4). The only logical coach for Arkansas, should they have an opening, is Nebraska’s Doc Sadler.
     1). He’s an Arkansas guy — born and raised in Greenwood.
     2). He’s got Arkansas ties — was a manager and grad assistant under the much-beloved Eddie Sutton.
     3). He’s got recruiting ties across the nation and is a tireless recruitor.
     4). He’s highly respected and liked among Arkansas high school coaches and had a great repore with all of them.
     5). He’s a proven winner — won at the high school level, junior college level, and, now, NCAA level.
     6). He’s proven he can do more with less — Nebraska has double-digit overall wins and has been competitive, for the most part — in all of its Big 12 games. Sure, Kansas routed them, but that happens to the best of them. If you use the argument that he won with Gillispie’s players at UTEP, okay, but he’s winning with players that Collier basically was going to get fired over.
     7). He’s a disciplinarian — There’s not going to be any of the inmates running the asylum fiascos and players WILL play hard for the full 40 minutes ... not just 35 minutes, 30 seconds.
     8). He’s a coach players respect and will play hard for — former players have said as much countless times.

There may not be a change at Arkansas, I don’t know, but if there is, Doc should be at the top of the list.

Does your believe in Sadler form the basis of your points 1-3? Do you want him so bad you've convinced yourselfs that other guys won't come to Arkansas? I think we might be surprised at how good a coach we could get to come here if we just tried. I do know that Gillispie has had 11 jobs in 25 years, it seems he's willing to pull the trigger when he thinks its in his best interests.

Lt. Caffey

My points are shared by countless others in the basketball coaching ranks, who know those close to both coaches. There's asolutely no incentive for Gillispie to want to come to Arkansas, and I really don't think Self would leave a program like Kansas for Arkansas. C'mon, that's pretty obvious. After all, Arkansas had its chance to get Self when they hired Heath.
And as far as trying, like I said before, it never hurts to ask, but the answer will be , "Thanks, but the guy you need to talk to is Doc Sadler."

Razorod

I'm not necessarily against Doc Sadler, but if he is to be the next coach, then I'd rather wait one more season or perhaps two to see what he does at Nebraska. Can he get them to 8-8 like Gillespie did in his FIRST year at A&M the year after the Ags went 0-16 in conference? Can he get Nebraska to 10-6 in the Big XII and to the NCAAs maybe in his third year? If so, then bring him on. I'd like to see a little something before hiring him, that's all.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

jamie72921

Quote from: HogsGranpa on February 13, 2007, 11:41:02 am
i have followed Arkansas basketball since the Glen Rose days, and I can remember playing UCLA at UCLA, with John Wooden as their coach, and we had a 100 put on us.  It was a joke of a basketball game.

We managed to get in the NCAA tournament, under Rose, and lost first round game to Cincinnati who had Oscar Robertson.  Got blown out.

We started winning, playing high profile games, getting on regional and national TV, and, of all things, getting national ranked in the polls.

My best trip in watching Razorback sports, was the year Sutton's team went to Final Four, 1978 I believe, and I got to go to Albuquerque, NM and saw the Hogs beat UCLA, to advance to the Elite 8.

I had to pinch myself, that I was not dreaming.  Arkansas Razorbacks beat the UCLA Bruins in a NCAA basketball game playoff.  We knocked them out of the tournament.

We then won the Regional, went to the Final Four, and lost to Kentucky, the eventual tournament winner,

At that time, there was a 3rd place consolation game, and we beat Notre Dame, who had lost to Duke in the Final Four, on a last second shot by Ron Brewer, Sr.

That was Arkansas basketball became "big time basketball", and it was Eddie Sutton, who changed it, with Arkansas native basketball players.

So George Mason is a big time program now that they made a final four?

No. Neither did that make Arkansas a big time program then. I watched those games by the way.

I am not a whipper snapper. Didn't watch Rose, but my family has had tickets to Razorback basketball since before Sutton was coach and the first game I ever attended was Moncrief's senior season.

Let me repeat. We were not a national power under Eddie Sutton. We had good teams but were in no way to be confused with Indiana, North Carolina, Georgetown, Kentucky, or Louisville at the time.

Those programs were threats to win it all. We were not. If you say we were then you are practicing revisionist history.

The only time we have been a big time program in the modern era of basketball, was in the 90's, under Nolan Richardson.
Bless your heart

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 13, 2007, 02:09:30 pm

No. Neither did that make Arkansas a big time program then. I watched those games by the way.

I am not a whipper snapper. Didn't watch Rose, but my family has had tickets to Razorback basketball since before Sutton was coach and the first game I ever attended was Moncrief's senior season.

Let me repeat. We were not a national power under Eddie Sutton. We had good teams but were in no way to be confused with Indiana, North Carolina, Georgetown, Kentucky, or Louisville at the time.

Those programs were threats to win it all. We were not. If you say we were then you are practicing revisionist history.

The only time we have been a big time program in the modern era of basketball, was in the 90's, under Nolan Richardson.

Yeah i bet we were never talked about in the championship race when we had the triplets.

Or when they beat UCLA in the ncaa tournament

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: oldbooniehog on February 13, 2007, 07:18:49 am
All this Sutton-worship makes me shake my head.

Um, under Nolan, the Hogs went to THREE FINAL FOURS and WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Also, the Hogs were in the top 5 teams for winning percentage for the entire decade of the 1990s.

But no.

Let's ignore that.

Arkansas isn't really an "elite" program, and can never hope to be.

Just forget that anomaly known as the 1990s.

Nope, let's get back to another Sutton, and being a "good" team that everyonce in a while has one or two "good players" and sniffs a Final Four about once every 12 years.

Good.......Grief..........

oldbooniehog

So we're not allowed to give Sutton a little credit because we were at our best under Nolan? That makes sense.

Arkansas was at its best under Nolan, that doesnt mean we were chopped liver under Sutton or shouldnt acknowledge that Sutton pretty much started Arkanas basketball.

Sorry, basketball history threads dont have to be all nolan all the time.

We did play basketball before Nolan got here.

HogsGranpa

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 13, 2007, 02:09:30 pm

Sutton's team played North Carolina and Louisville, beating Louisville in the NCAA on U. S. Reed's shot on National TV, beating North Carolina on National TV at Pine Bluff, was not able to beat Kentucky, but Kentucky hired Sutton away from Arkansas, was Sutton's worst coaching job, but his first two years at Kentucky, he won some big games.

Nolan Richardson teams were great in the '90's, but he continued what Sutton started, as far as national basketball power.

Not saying which is better coach, overall, but Sutton is the one who brought the basketball program to national prominence, not only Arkansas, but the SWC, as stated by Darrell Royal, in a interview on national television.

jamie72921

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 13, 2007, 02:27:17 pm

Yeah i bet we were never talked about in the championship race when we had the triplets.

We weren't thought of in that way.

At the time that was considered a monumental upset. We were actually the better team, but it was still considered a huge upset.

Kentucky was supposed to beat us in the final four, and they did. Again we were the more talented team.

No, not even the triplett's were talked about as being a favorite for the National championship.

We were ranked preseason number by Sports Illustrated the next season based on what the Tripletts had accomplished. But by the tournament, both Indiana St. and Mich St. had separated themselves as the teams to beat.

We really weren't given the respect nationally that so many people believed we had while Sutton was here. That didn't happen until Nolan took us to the next level.
Bless your heart

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 13, 2007, 02:33:19 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 13, 2007, 02:27:17 pm

We weren't thought of in that way.

At the time that was considered a monumental upset. We were actually the better team, but it was still considered a huge upset.

Kentucky was supposed to beat us in the final four, and they did. Again we were the more talented team.

No, not even the triplett's were talked about as being a favorite for the National championship.

We were ranked preseason number by Sports Illustrated the next season based on what the Tripletts had accomplished. But by the tournament, both Indiana St. and Mich St. had separated themselves as the teams to beat.

We really weren't given the respect nationally that so many people believed we had while Sutton was here. That didn't happen until Nolan took us to the next level.

I bet even Nolan's teams in the SWC didnt get respect because of the competition. I wonder if the teams in the SWC back in the Sutton days were better because we played against John Koncak, Olajuwon and Drexler.

Only time Arkansas basketball really cranked it up and got national respect was our first few years in the SEC. Sure we beat the heck out of Texas there for a while but i cant imagine us getting respect nationally for doing that.

Arkansas basketball does have the ability to get to that level that Nolan brought Arkansas up to but we may need a coaching change to get it done.

Nolan's last few teams sucked because he couldnt recruit that well but i bet if Nolan got ahold of this team, we would run away with the west and be rated in the top 20.

jamie72921

Quote from: HogsGranpa on February 13, 2007, 02:32:29 pm
Sutton's team played North Carolina and Louisville, beating Louisville in the NCAA on U. S. Reed's shot on National TV, beating North Carolina on National TV at Pine Bluff, was not able to beat Kentucky, but Kentucky hired Sutton away from Arkansas, was Sutton's worst coaching job, but his first two years at Kentucky, he won some big games.

Nolan Richardson teams were great in the '90's, but he continued what Sutton started, as far as national basketball power.

Not saying which is better coach, overall, but Sutton is the one who brought the basketball program to national prominence, not only Arkansas, but the SWC, as stated by Darrell Royal, in a interview on national television.

Sorry to tell you but Sutton lost to North Carolina the only time he played them on a nuetral court in the Great Alaskan shootout. Sutton was 2-1 against Louisville, 0-1 against Georgetown(blowout), 0-1 against Kentucky, 0 -2 against Wake Forrest, 0-1 against Virginia, 0-1 against Georgia Tech, 0-2 against Kansas St., etc.

Hardly the stuff of national powerhouse status.

You have also made news to me that the SWC conference was ever considered a basketball conference nationally. This happened because Darrell Royal said so? Ha ha!

Under Nolan, 2-1 agaist North Carolina, all nuetral sites, 2-1 against Duke, 3-1 against Arizona, 2 wins over Kentucky in Rupp (unprecedented at the time), 1-0 against Syracuse, 2-0 against Georgetown, 1-1 against Louisville, 0-1 against UMASS, 0-2 against Kansas, 0-2 against Cincinatti, not mentioned how many SEC opponents we owned during that time.

That was the only time the basketball world considered Arkansas a basketball power, a national title contender, a big time program. Just never happened under Sutton.
Bless your heart

jamie72921

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 13, 2007, 02:38:43 pm
I bet even Nolan's teams in the SWC didnt get respect because of the competition. I wonder if the teams in the SWC back in the Sutton days were better because we played against John Koncak, Olajuwon and Drexler.

Only time Arkansas basketball really cranked it up and got national respect was our first few years in the SEC. Sure we beat the heck out of Texas there for a while but i cant imagine us getting respect nationally for doing that.

Arkansas basketball does have the ability to get to that level that Nolan brought Arkansas up to but we may need a coaching change to get it done.

Nolan's last few teams sucked because he couldnt recruit that well but i bet if Nolan got ahold of this team, we would run away with the west and be rated in the top 20.

You are right Hogan.

They weren't respected until they got back to the final four exactly because the SWC was not a basketball conference and because Arkansas hadn't made any real noise in the NCAA tournament since 79 at that point.

It took backing that final four appearance up with winning the SEC and then the early to mid 90's for the basketball program to finally garner national recognition as a legitimate power.

Obviously we didn't and haven't sustained that. There was a reason Nolan got fired.
Bless your heart

HogsGranpa

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 13, 2007, 02:46:17 pm
Quote from: HogsGranpa on February 13, 2007, 02:32:29 pm

Sorry to tell you but Sutton lost to North Carolina the only time he played them on a nuetral court in the Great Alaskan shootout. Sutton was 2-1 against Louisville, 0-1 against Georgetown(blowout), 0-1 against Kentucky, 0 -2 against Wake Forrest, 0-1 against Virginia, 0-1 against Georgia Tech, 0-2 against Kansas St., etc.

Hardly the stuff of national powerhouse status.

You have also made news to me that the SWC conference was ever considered a basketball conference nationally. This happened because Darrell Royal said so? Ha ha!

Under Nolan, 2-1 agaist North Carolina, all nuetral sites, 2-1 against Duke, 3-1 against Arizona, 2 wins over Kentucky in Rupp (unprecedented at the time), 1-0 against Syracuse, 2-0 against Georgetown, 1-1 against Louisville, 0-1 against UMASS, 0-2 against Kansas, 0-2 against Cincinatti, not mentioned how many SEC opponents we owned during that time.

That was the only time the basketball world considered Arkansas a basketball power, a national title contender, a big time program. Just never happened under Sutton.
Yep, Darrell Royal said it because he was specificially asked in that interview, as he was caught on sideline court, what had caused SWC basketball improvement as much as it had, and stated it was because of the influence and coaching of Eddie Sutton at Arkansas.

I take it you do not have much respect for Darrell Royal's analysis of college athletic programs, especially basketball.

What is your job?  Are you involved with college basketball athletics?

tolerati

Stan will be back another year...so we can decide all this next year..... Its more of a priority to get Broyles out the door...then the rest will take care of itself.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

jamie72921

Quote from: HogsGranpa on February 13, 2007, 02:58:16 pm
Yep, Darrell Royal said it because he was speficially asked in that interview, as he was caught on sideline court, what had caused SWC basketball improvement as much as it had, and stated it was because of the influence and coaching of Eddie Sutton at Arkansas.

I take it you do not have much respect for Darrell Royal's analysis of college athletic programs, especially basketball.

What is your job?  Are you involved with college basketball athletics?

Darrell Royal had nothing to gain in saying that the SWC had improved?! He was athletic director at Texas at the time. Good grief!

The SWC was before and after Sutton a pitiful conference. Why do you think it doesn't exist anymore? It was solid in football, but amounted to nothing more than an occasional great team in basketball.

Arkansas and Houston are the only 2 teams to ever accomplish anything nationally during the modern era of basketball from that conference. Compare that to the SEC. Arkansas, Florida, and Kentucky have won 5 National championships since 94 alone.

Man alive, the SWC improved in basketball. So what, it couldn't have gone any lower if it had joined with the SWAC.
Bless your heart

Kevin

say no to:

kelvin sampson-don't want his problems with the ncaa
greg marshall-there is a reason he is still at winthrop after 6 winning seasons
oliver purnell-clemson, he has not done anything
ernie kent-oregon-never won anything
reggie theus-young, not won anything

never a chance:
Jay wright-villanova-philly guy
billy gillespe-texas guy
todd lickliter-butler-butler grad
mark few-has turned equal jobs on the west coast

say yes:
Brad Brownell-Wright State, also look at the UNCW record. proven winner
Doc Sadler-proven winner
mark turgeon-wichita state
dana altman-creighton
chris lowery-southern ill.(does not play anything like nolan, half court grind it out defense game in the 50's-60's)
mike montgomery-big golden state paycheck-winner
mark fox-nevada

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

IBreal

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 09:15:08 am
hey I like Stan. I think he's a great guy unlike that sleaseball we have as the football coach.

He's an awsome recruiter but one huge thing is missing.

You can see it everytime the basketball team takes the floor. They just dont play hard for Stan Heath.  They play very hard in spurts but in other spots it looks like they dont even care.

I wish so bad that Coach Heath could take this team places but it just aint happenin right now. IN year 5 we shoudl not worry about getting to the big dance.

There's a coach here in Tulsa oklahoma who has been coaching basketball for about 9 years. He's taken ORU places it hasnt been since the early 70s and I bet he would love to have the job his father had for 11 years.

It may take another Sutton to put us back on top.

Kevin

i didn't say marshall wasn't a winner.  just that there is a reason he is still there after alot of success.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22