Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It may take another Sutton to put Arkansas basketball back on the map....

Started by Hollywood_HOGan, February 12, 2007, 09:15:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan

hey I like Stan. I think he's a great guy unlike that sleaseball we have as the football coach.

He's an awsome recruiter but one huge thing is missing.

You can see it everytime the basketball team takes the floor. They just dont play hard for Stan Heath.  They play very hard in spurts but in other spots it looks like they dont even care.

I wish so bad that Coach Heath could take this team places but it just aint happenin right now. IN year 5 we shoudl not worry about getting to the big dance.

There's a coach here in Tulsa oklahoma who has been coaching basketball for about 9 years. He's taken ORU places it hasnt been since the early 70s and I bet he would love to have the job his father had for 11 years.

It may take another Sutton to put us back on top.

NuttinItUp

jamie72921

NO MORE SUTTON's!

We want an established coach!

Beilene from West Virginia would be an awsome choice. Let someone else take an "up and comer".
Bless your heart

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 12, 2007, 09:17:26 am
NO MORE SUTTON's!

We want an established coach!

Beilene from West Virginia would be an awsome choice. Let someone else take an "up and comer".

an established coach. Scott has only been there around 9 years and has taken this program places its never been since the early 70s. Yeah I'd say he's not established as a head coach.

Jim Beliene would be an excellent choice but why would he leave WVa for Arkansas right now?

jamie72921

Hogan,

ORU is not that good of a team. I know they beat Kansas this year, but a lot of the reason he is taking them places they haven't been before is because they were having to play as an independent for years and had no way to get into the Ncaa tournament without having to beat very established programs on the road.

The Tulsa job would be more of the stepping stone job you are talking about than the ORU job is. He needs to move up a notch. See Nolan, Tubby Smith, and Bill Self.
Bless your heart

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 12, 2007, 09:26:34 am
Hogan,

ORU is not that good of a team. I know they beat Kansas this year, but a lot of the reason he is taking them places they haven't been before is because they were having to play as an independent for years and had no way to get into the Ncaa tournament without having to beat very established programs on the road.

The Tulsa job would be more of the stepping stone job you are talking about than the ORU job is. He needs to move up a notch. See Nolan, Tubby Smith, and Bill Self.

SUtton is doing some amazing things at this small school. He also beat Seton Hall this year.

Anybody else we shouldnt even consider but he has Sutton blood in him and he knows how to coach.

IMO Arkansas would be a very good fit.

Dugann

Bill Self..........or /cough mike anderson after frankie is gone /smile.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

jamie72921

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 09:30:11 am
Quote from: jamie72921 on February 12, 2007, 09:26:34 am
Hogan,

SUtton is doing some amazing things at this small school. He also beat Seton Hall this year.

Anybody else we shouldnt even consider but he has Sutton blood in him and he knows how to coach.

IMO Arkansas would be a very good fit.

Take Eddie, ALL OF HIS ASSISTANTS AND HIS SONS, add them all up and you DO NOT HAVE EVEN ONE NATIONAL CHAMPIONXSHIP>

I believe we have a Sutton type coach now in Stan Heath. Let's aim higher.
Bless your heart

HeathWimp

I think we need an established coach.  After the Heath-bar disaster, I don't think that the PTB will go for another "up-and-comer."
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Oliver

As much as I like Scott Sutton, I want a proven coach.  I REALLY do think that we could get Billy Gillespie to come to Arkansas if we pony up the money.  I'm not saying that as a homer.

Bomis Hawg

My top....

Billy Gillespie (TAMU); Bill Self (Kansas)/Mike Anderson (Missouri); Jay Wright (Villanova); Doc Sadler (Nebraska); Mark Few (Gonzaga)

If you want some other choices: The guy at Clemson is one.  Lickliter at Butler.
If you want an up-and-comer coach: Travis Ford at UMass or Tony Bennett at Wazzou.

And, I would be alright with Heath returning.

booogaga

GO HOGS!

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on February 12, 2007, 09:36:31 am
My top....

Billy Gillespie (TAMU); Bill Self (Kansas)/Mike Anderson (Missouri); Jay Wright (Villanova); Doc Sadler (Nebraska); Mark Few (Gonzaga)

If you want some other choices: The guy at Clemson is one.  Lickliter at Butler.
If you want an up-and-comer coach: Travis Ford at UMass or Tony Bennett at Wazzou.

I like Gillespie, Self, Wright and Few.  I don't think Anderson will come back here while JFB is here, but if he leaves it would be a more likely possibility.  My number one choice would be Doc Sadler.  I think a up-and-comer that you left out was the Wichita St. coach.  I also would be fine with Heath returning.

jamie72921

My top....

How about the guy at West Virginia? I know how to say his name, but I am tired of trying to spell it.
Bless your heart

booogaga

redicted Finish for the Hoop Hogs

02/07   Auburn (W)  correct!
02/10   at LSU (L)  correct! (unfortunately)
02/14   at MSU (W)
02/17   Ole Miss (W)
02/21   at Auburn (W)
02/24   Tennessee (W)
02/28   Mississippi State (W)
03/3     at Vanderbilt (W)

hope you are right. we will have 21 wins. maybe one or two in the tourney...... we will get a good seed in the ncaa t. hope you are right
GO HOGS!

hog caller

Hollywood_HOGan

My top....

i mostly agree with you.

But patience is wearing VERY thin

WE need to go on about a 5 or 6 game run to get to the NCAAT. Its do or die time wed night in Starkville.

My top choices that we would have a chance at:
1) Doc Sadler
2) Lickliter from Butler
3) The coach from Clemson
4) SCott Sutton

We probably cannot get Billy Gillispie. That school has a TON of money and they will do whatever it takes to keep him.

We may be able to get a top coach.....if we were hiring in 1996.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 12, 2007, 09:42:55 am
My top....

How about the guy at West Virginia? I know how to say his name, but I am tired of trying to spell it.

we are not getting Jim Beliene.

WVa is now an established school. They've been to the elite eight and the sweet 16 in back to back seasons. Plus they are in the big east and If Im not mistaken he went to school at WVA

No doubt he woudl be a good choice. His teams cut very well on offense and play VERY discipled on defense. But it aint happenin

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: booogaga on February 12, 2007, 09:44:29 am

02/07   Auburn (W)  correct!
02/10   at LSU (L)  correct! (unfortunately)
02/14   at MSU (W)
02/17   Ole Miss (W)
02/21   at Auburn (W)
02/24   Tennessee (W)
02/28   Mississippi State (W)
03/3     at Vanderbilt (W)

hope you are right. we will have 21 wins. maybe one or two in the tourney...... we will get a good seed in the ncaa t. hope you are right
I also hope I'm right.  I just think that this team is better than last years team, and there is  no reason we shouldn't be able to go on a run like last years team did.  I'll know that I'll be rooting for them like crazy over the next few weeks.  GO HOGS! :razorback: WPS! :razorback:

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 12, 2007, 09:53:15 am
Quote from: booogaga on February 12, 2007, 09:44:29 am

02/07   Auburn (W)  correct!
02/10   at LSU (L)  correct! (unfortunately)
02/14   at MSU (W)
02/17   Ole Miss (W)
02/21   at Auburn (W)
02/24   Tennessee (W)
02/28   Mississippi State (W)
03/3     at Vanderbilt (W)

I also hope I'm right.  I just think that this team is better than last years team, and there is  no reason we shouldn't be able to go on a run like last years team did.  I'll know that I'll be rooting for them like crazy over the next few weeks.  GO HOGS! :razorback: WPS! :razorback:

If we lose Wed night. We're done

And we dont play well at Miss St. Heck we dont play well ANYWHERE for that matter.

I like coach heath but we're not seeing any results.

Bomis Hawg

Beliene is a great coach at WVU.  I think Doc Sadler would be a good choice.  He's turned Nebraska into a respectable team.  Who woulda thunk that?

I'm not sure about Sutton, but he's been doing well.

Lickliter has done a lot of great things at Butler.  I still think Jay Wright would be my top choice.  I agree the guy at Clemson and Gillespie wouldn't leave, probably get a nice pay raise.

Tony Bennett's dad Dick Bennett was at Wazzou for a long time.  Tony was drafted by the Hornets after playing for UW-Milwaukee and played a little while in the NBA.  This is his first year as a HC, and he's done well in the Pac-10.

Wednesday at the Hump will be critical.  You HAVE to win that game at this point.

hogsanity

YEs lets dip into the PAST yet again.  NEW BLOOD NEW BLOOD NEW BLOOD.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on February 12, 2007, 09:57:11 am
Beliene is a great coach at WVU.  I think Doc Sadler would be a good choice.  He's turned Nebraska into a respectable team.  Who woulda thunk that?

Lickliter has done a lot of great things at Butler.  I still think Jay Wright would be my top choice.  I agree the guy at Clemson and Gillespie wouldn't leave, probably get a nice pay raise.

Tony Bennett's dad Dick Bennett was at Wazzou for a long time.  Tony was drafted by the Hornets after playing for UW-Milwaukee and played a little while in the NBA.  This is his first year as a HC, and he's done well in the Pac-10.

Wednesday at the Hump will be critical.  You HAVE to win that game at this point.

ANybody who can win like that at Wazzu must have something.

My top choice would be Doc Sadler. Nebraska actually doesnt suck and he has ties to Arkansas.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hogsanity on February 12, 2007, 09:58:44 am
YEs lets dip into the PAST yet again.  NEW BLOOD NEW BLOOD NEW BLOOD.

I believe Scott Sutton has never been the coach of Arkansas basketball.
PLus I believe SUtton did very well at Arkansas when he was here anyway. We went to the Final Four and Arkansas was nothing in basketball before sutton.

Not saying he would be the best choice but he wouldnt be a bad one.

Besides that we need to get rid of that SOB coaching that football team before we do anything with basketball.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 09:55:34 am
If we lose Wed night. We're done

And we dont play well at Miss St. Heck we dont play well ANYWHERE for that matter.

I like coach heath but we're not seeing any results.
No doubt about that.  We have to win Wednesday night or there is no way we get into the NCAA tourney.  I think it will be a tough game, but I think we will get a W and then get revenge on Ole Miss at our place to move to 6-6 going into the game at Auburn.

jhudson84

Heath never was much of an up and comer.....made a very nice run one year with someone elses players......and to who said he can recruit im sorry he cant.   He has almost always had to settle on his second and third choices missing out on thad young, greg oden, mike conley jr., wayne chism, willie kemp, james anderson, ramar smith, ravern johnson, lamarcus aldridge, daniel gibson......his only claim to fame is Al Jefferson.......we saw where that went....straight to the NBA

Bomis Hawg

dirtydoghog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 09:58:55 am
Quote from: Bomis Hawg on February 12, 2007, 09:57:11 am

ANybody who can win like that at Wazzu must have something.

My top choice would be Doc Sadler. Nebraska actually doesnt suck and he has ties to Arkansas.

Sorry guy, I still think Nebraska pretty much bites!  We can win our home games now, this would not be an improvement. 
I would have to go with Travis Ford at this point, I just don't see that many great coaches out there right now and this guy is a winner. 

mbgrulz

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 12, 2007, 09:41:21 am
My top....

I like Gillespie, Self, Wright and Few.  I don't think Anderson will come back here while JFB is here, but if he leaves it would be a more likely possibility.  My number one choice would be Doc Sadler.  I think a up-and-comer that you left out was the Wichita St. coach.  I also would be fine with Heath returning.
Sadler is at the bottom of my list. i think he'd be an okay choice, but we could do so much better. i see him as an even trade with SH.

we just need to pull a lot of money together and grab a big time guy.

oldbooniehog

No more Suttons.

No more "up and comers" who've done some "notable things" for some "mid major."

No more young, inexperienced coaches.

It's time for an established, D-1 coach with a record of success to be brought in.

Just like North Carolina got back to prominence by buying Kansas' coach Roy Williams away from the Jayhawks, that's what Arkansas needs to do now.

oldbooniehog

oldbooniehog

One more thing.......the constant excuse used for football, the "Hey, we're just Arkansas" doe not wash with basketball.

For cryin' out loud.....this program went to THREE FINAL FOURS and won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in the 1990s.

This backwards, loser mindset of "we're little ol Arkansas, and we just can't compete with the big boys" mentality must be killed with all prejudice at the basketball level.

Arkansas USED TO BE ONE OF THE BIG BOYS in basketball....only about a decade ago.

It's time to get back up there.

obh

stan the man

As far as Eddie Sutton goes, we may never of had a national championship while he was here, but everywhere he went, his teams were consistent and nearly always in the top 20 every year.  Would I take that over one nc and mediocre in all the years we have been, yes I would.   

mbgrulz

Quote from: stan the man on February 12, 2007, 11:25:25 am
As far as Eddie Sutton goes, we may never of had a national championship while he was here, but everywhere he went, his teams were consistent and nearly always in the top 20 every year.  Would I take that over one nc and mediocre in all the years we have been, yes I would.   
that is crazy. i'd take one NC every ten years over being runner-up every single year.

personally, i think we are capable of having a top 20 team every year AND get a NC every once in a while.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: oldbooniehog on February 12, 2007, 10:55:39 am
No more Suttons.

It's time for an established, D-1 coach with a record of success to be brought in.

Just like North Carolina got back to prominence by buying Kansas' coach Roy Williams away from the Jayhawks, that's what Arkansas needs to do now.

oldbooniehog

uh,
arkansas is a good basketball school but it does not even approach North Carolina.
We could make the final four the next 10 years and not approach North Carolina.

We could have gotten a big time coach if this was 1996. Fact is Arkansas basketball just is not what it used to be.

We can get a good coach, just not a big name type.

Oliver

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 12:30:42 pm
No more Suttons.

oldbooniehog

uh,
arkansas is a good basketball school but it does not even approach North Carolina.

We could have gotten a big time coach if this was 1996. Fact is Arkansas basketball just is not what it used to be.

I don't know if I agree with you here.  Arkansas still has a lot of pull with it's basketball program.  We couldn't get names like Roy Williams, Coach K, Jim Boheim, Mark Few, Billy Donovan,  etc.  but I do think we could get the Billy Gillespie, Ernie Kent, Bill Self (not that I would want him), Tubby Smith, or Kelvin Sampson (if he was available).  Those aren't as big of names but they are still big names.

HawgG

Quote from: jhudson84and to who said he can recruit im sorry he cant.   He has almost always had to settle on his second and third choices missing out on thad young, greg oden, mike conley jr., wayne chism, willie kemp, james anderson, ramar smith, ravern johnson, lamarcus aldridge, daniel gibson......his only claim to fame is Al Jefferson.......we saw where that went....straight to the NBA

Actually a statement based on true facts. THANK YOU :)

Also he and his staff have failed to sign enough guys with a high basketball IQ.Patrick Beverley is the perfect example of what guys with a understanding of the game can do for you.
Billy Donavan use to recruit similar to Stan, but all it did was cause his teams to underachieve most years.Billy changed his approach to recruiting and we see the results.Arkansas has alot of bodies, but not nearly enough pure basketball players.

jamie72921

Quote from: stan the man on February 12, 2007, 11:25:25 am

Playing in the SWC had a lot to do with Eddie's success. He was a first round, second round exit from the tournament most of the time if that is what you mean by consistent.
Bless your heart

Toad Suck Pork

Question:
If Frank is not AD in the near future, and Mike Anderson were brought back to coach, what does that do to recruiting?  I assume if Frank is not running the show anymore that Nolan would come back around to be around Mike.  How much of a boost do you think Nolan and his accomplishments could bring to recruiting if he were visible again?

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 12, 2007, 12:38:56 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 12:30:42 pm
No more Suttons.

oldbooniehog

uh,

I don't know if I agree with you here.  Arkansas still has a lot of pull with it's basketball program.  We couldn't get names like Roy Williams, Coach K, Jim Boheim, Mark Few, Billy Donovan,  etc.  but I do think we could get the Billy Gillespie, Ernie Kent, Bill Self (not that I would want him), Tubby Smith, or Kelvin Sampson (if he was available).  Those aren't as big of names but they are still big names.

I would give my left one to get Gillispie but aTm will pay out the wazoo to keep him. And aTm has a TON of money to work with.

And Tubby wouldnt leave UK unless they fired him or if he didnt like it there.

I'd love to have Sampson if i wanted my team to go on probation again.

Now Ernie Kent would be really good and i think we could probably get him.

SHouldve hired him in the first place.

HogsGranpa

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 09:15:08 am
hey I like Stan. I think he's a great guy unlike that sleaseball we have as the football coach.

You can see it everytime the basketball team takes the floor. They just dont play hard for Stan Heath.  They play very hard in spurts but in other spots it looks like they dont even care.

I wish so bad that Coach Heath could take this team places but it just aint happenin right now. IN year 5 we shoudl not worry about getting to the big dance.

There's a coach here in Tulsa oklahoma who has been coaching basketball for about 9 years. He's taken ORU places it hasnt been since the early 70s and I bet he would love to have the job his father had for 11 years.

Good enough for me. 

It seems that both of Eddie Sutton's sons have learned his coaching tactics of hard rebounding and strong defense.

It looks as if Okla State has not missed a beat since Sean Sutton took over as HC, and they have the best HS player in Arkansas coming.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: HogsGranpa on February 12, 2007, 12:50:12 pm

Good enough for me. 

It seems that both of Eddie Sutton's sons have learned his coaching tactics of hard rebounding and strong defense.

It looks as if Okla State has not missed a beat since Sean Sutton took over as HC, and they have the best HS player in Arkansas coming.

THank you

Finally somebody that makes a little sense.

Sean's team is doing pretty well. He's getting the most out of his ballclub. He only has about 7 players to work with too.

Scott Sutton is pretty much the same person too.

jamie72921

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 12:52:56 pm

Good enough for me. 

THank you

Sean's team is doing pretty well. He's getting the most out of his ballclub. He only has about 7 players to work with too.

This is a negative approach.

To think this, you have to believe that the 90's were just some lucky thing, never to be achieved again. In essence you have to believe that Frank Broyles was right in Dallas.

Fact: Sutton was the 2nd best coach at the U of A.

Heading for the days of Sutton now that we are in the Sec is a clear step backward. How did Sutton do in the Sec? I believe he got fired and Kentucky was awful even before the NCAA gutted them.
Bless your heart

Oliver

Good enough for me. 

THank you

I like Scott Sutton too.  I'm just saying that we should ATTEMPT to try and get a bigger named coach with more coaching experience first.  I still think we have enough respect for our basketball program to be able to get a bigger name.  I would do cartwheels if we had Scott Sutton instead of Stan Heath.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 12, 2007, 12:59:12 pm

Good enough for me. 

THank you

I like Scott Sutton too.  I'm just saying that we should ATTEMPT to try and get a bigger named coach with more coaching experience first.  I still think we have enough respect for our basketball program to be able to get a bigger name.  I would do cartwheels if we had Scott Sutton instead of Stan Heath.

Yeah i agree
Just sayin if we cant get the first or second guy, SCott wouldnt be a bad 3rd or 4th choice.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 12, 2007, 12:58:25 pm

Good enough for me. 

THank you

To think this, you have to believe that the 90's were just some lucky thing, never to be achieved again. In essence you have to believe that Frank Broyles was right in Dallas.

you make absoutely no sense whatsoever

jamie72921

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 12, 2007, 01:19:31 pm

[/quote]

If you are a positive person, then you believe the Razorback program is capable of achieving at the highest level. Especially given the fact that has done so in the recent past.

If you are negative, you say the Razorback program can't compete with the North Carolina's and Dukes, again despite the fact that we held winning records against these programs in the recent past.

You either believe we can compete, Posititive.

Or you believe we cannot compete and should settle for the days when we didn't (Sutton).

Understand?
Bless your heart

HogsGranpa

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 12, 2007, 01:24:56 pm

If you are a positive person, then you believe the Razorback program is capable of achieving at the highest level. Especially given the fact that has done so in the recent past.

If you are negative, you say the Razorback program can't compete with the North Carolina's and Dukes, again despite the fact that we held winning records against these programs in the recent past.

Or you believe we cannot compete and should settle for the days when we didn't (Sutton).

Understand?
[/quote]
Eddie Sutton's team beat #1 North Carolina, who had a senior player named Michael Jordan, at Pine Bluff.

Sutton won his share of big games, and hardly ever got blown out.

Back in Sutton's days, Houston and Texas were big games with national attention

jhudson84

both conley and oden, mainly conley were interested in arkansas.

Few wont leave gonzaga, bennett b/c of his father will likely stay at Wash. St, Butler's coach would be an ok choice, Jay Wright of Nova would be another.  Lowry at S. Illinois, reminds me of Nolan's style. 

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 12, 2007, 01:24:56 pm

Understand?
[/quote]

You still make absolutley no sense whatsover.

As mentioned before, SUtton beat North Carolina. Arkansas had three of the greatest college basketball players of that era. Arkansas even went to the Final Four and we were a BS call away from going again. (US Reed's trip)

Not saying we cant compete with Duke and Carolina again, just dont think we're at a point where we can steal a BIG time coach.

Not negativity, just common sense.