Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has Sonny Weems met your expectations?

Started by Hogtropolis™, February 11, 2007, 05:18:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

Coming into the season, I had heard very good things about Sonny Weems.  From what I had heard, he was supposed to be the player to come in and take over for Ronnie Brewer and be the go to guy in the clutch this year.  He has been a solid player thus far, but not as good as hyped IMO.  I just haven't been very impressed with him, especially late in the games.  He just hasn't seemed like a player that we can count on when it comes down to crunch time.  I may be wrong and he might prove me wrong in the next 6 games, but I just haven't seen whatever it was that everyone was telling me about that watched him play at UAFS.  So to answer my question, no, he has not met my expectations. 

Here are some stats comparing Weems season this year to Brewer's freshman season.

Brewer: (per game average)

PTS          REB          Asst/TO ratio
12.2          5.5            3.4/2.6

Weems: (per game average)

11.5          4.8            2.3/2.7

arkjayback

When he turns it on and gets aggressive he's almost as good as Brewer.  But he plays so tentative some times and makes mistakes late in the game like he did against LSU.

BigDawgHawg

When he is on, he is on.  I just wish he was on more often.

Brand X Hog Fan

Sonny is faster than Ronnie. He made a drive at Bama was the fastest I've seen a Hog get to the basket in a while. I am pleased with his play but you are right, he is not the shooter he was hyped to be. Of course, I listened to Odus :-\.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Brand X Hog Fan

February 11, 2007, 05:34:10 pm #4 Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 05:36:24 pm by Seahawk4ever
Quote from: HogZ28 on February 11, 2007, 05:28:11 pm
Quote from: Seahawk4ever on February 11, 2007, 05:25:34 pm
Sonny is faster than Ronnie. He made a drive at Bama was the fastest I've seen a Hog get to the basket in a while. I am pleased with his play but you are right, he is not the shooter he was hyped to be. Of course, I listened to Odus :-\.

i've been impressed with his shooting, though i dont listen to Odus.  I had heard he was more of a slasher type and not much of a shooter.

i wished he and beverly would just turn it on and take over games.

Don't get me wrong, he has a sweet shot and can be clutch but he is not the 3 point threat that I  pictured. I thought that yesterday they should have gotten him the ball more on the move. When defenses are collapsing in on us, we've got to stop trying to work it east to west and and go inside out, north to south . . . kind of like Mailman Malone and Stockton used to do at the Jazz. I can see Sonny and Charles working such a play a few times per game.

EDIT: I've since stopped listening to Marble Mouth about anything. He could tell me my hair was on fire and I'd have to hear it from 2 more people before I'd believe him.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on February 11, 2007, 05:34:10 pm
Quote from: HogZ28 on February 11, 2007, 05:28:11 pm

i've been impressed with his shooting, though i dont listen to Odus.  I had heard he was more of a slasher type and not much of a shooter.

i wished he and beverly would just turn it on and take over games.

Don't get me wrong, he has a sweet shot and can be clutch but he is not the 3 point threat that I  pictured. I thought that yesterday they should have gotten him the ball more on the move. When defenses are collapsing in on us, we've got to stop trying to work it east to west and and go inside out, north to south . . . kind of like Mailman Malone and Stockton used to do at the Jazz. I can see Sonny and Charles working such a play a few times per game.
What game was he clutch in?  I might be forgetting a few games, but I don't recall him coming through in the final 5 minutes of a close game all year.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 11, 2007, 05:38:46 pm
What game was he clutch in?  I might be forgetting a few games, but I don't recall him coming through in the final 5 minutes of a close game all year.

He hasn't gotten the chance has he? Usually its Bev or Ervin with the ball. Sonny has made some shots at the right time though this year. He's come through with steals and assists too.

Brand X Hog Fan

You know, as far as clutch goes, Ronnie wasn't stellar if I remember right. We haven't had a clutch shooter since Bradley or an all around clutch player since Beck.

clifflee4mvp

What about Ronnie's junior stats vs. Sonny's junior stats. I thought he would come in and take over games like Ronnie and he's only done that once or twice this year. He's been a solid player but not what I expected. I still like him a lot
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Bomis Hawg

Sonny Weems could be called the best player on the court for Arkansas when he is on his game.  But, that has been the problem.  A few games he's been off.  I think some of it was because of the mask he had to wear.

I think he needs to find a way to shoot more.  Beverley and Weems could rank up there as one of the best on-court duos in Arkansas history.  Weems has a great mid-range jumper.  Solid outside shooter, a little streaky.  I think his size hurts him a little.  But, he does manage to get to the glass -- which is what Brewer did.  Has awesome hops.

The only knock I have on him now is his turnover-itis.  Is it because of the offense or him doing too much?  The fumble against LSU was bad.  I think he might've been looking at his shot before he had the ball.  A mistake a lot of people make.

On a letter grade scale, I say overall he is a B+.  Compare to my expectations, B.  Needs to shoot more.  Take care of the ball.  He is a forward, doesn't NEED to handle the ball pre-shot in the offense that much.  He does move well without the ball.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: mcmarti on February 11, 2007, 05:45:50 pm
What about Ronnie's junior stats vs. Sonny's junior stats. I thought he would come in and take over games like Ronnie and he's only done that once or twice this year. He's been a solid player but not what I expected. I still like him a lot
I didn't use those because I figured people would construe that as me trying to make Sonny look bad, while that wasn't my goal.  Here they are though since you asked.

Brewer's Junior stats: (per game average)

18.4          4.8            3.3/2.2

His PPG were much better while his rebounds went down a little bit (IMO it was because he was asked to be more of a scorer) and I think the Asst/TO ratio is a little bit better.  The only thing that changed drastically were Brewer's PPG.  I guess my point of this thread was to say that I guess that Weems isn't as much of a scorer that I thought he was going to be.  I was expecting him to be the type of player that would go out and take over games when it was needed.  I don't think Weems is a bad player by any means, just not quite as good as I was expecting.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on February 11, 2007, 05:41:20 pm
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 11, 2007, 05:38:46 pm

He hasn't gotten the chance has he? Usually its Bev or Ervin with the ball. Sonny has made some shots at the right time though this year. He's come through with steals and assists too.
I'll definitely agree with you there.  The question to ask in this case though would be has he shown anything in practice to warrant him being the go to guy in the closing minutes?

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on February 11, 2007, 05:46:17 pm
Sonny Weems could be called the best player on the court for Arkansas when he is on his game.  But, that has been the problem.  A few games he's been off.  I think some of it was because of the mask he had to wear.

I think he needs to find a way to shoot more.  Beverley and Weems could rank up there as one of the best on-court duos in Arkansas history.  Weems has a great mid-range jumper.  Solid outside shooter, a little streaky.  I think his size hurts him a little.  But, he does manage to get to the glass -- which is what Brewer did.  Has awesome hops.

The only knock I have on him now is his turnover-itis.  Is it because of the offense or him doing too much?  The fumble against LSU was bad.  I think he might've been looking at his shot before he had the ball.  A mistake a lot of people make.

On a letter grade scale, I say overall he is a B+.  Compare to my expectations, B.  Needs to shoot more.  Take care of the ball.  He is a forward, doesn't NEED to handle the ball pre-shot in the offense that much.  He does move well without the ball.
Very good analysis Bomis.  I was saying during the game yesterday that we need to get him the ball a lot more when he is either slashing to the basket or catching and shooting the mid-range jumper.  I guess I was expecting around 13.0 PPG and not as many TO.  The TO yesterday is what made me post this.  I know it is a common mistake to look to shoot before you make the catch, but you can't make that kind of mistake that late in the game.  Let's just hope he can turn it up the last 6 games and be a catalyst for a 5 or 6 game winning streak.

jcrowe01

I watched him play for uafortsmith and I really thought he would come in and just take over.  I felt at the first of the year like he needed some time to get in the feel of things.  I still think he will turn it on and be the guy we all heard about

mj4president

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

HeathWimp

For some reason, JUCO's don't always work out for us (see Dontell Jefferson).  Weems hasn't been a complete disappointment, but if he was the top JUCO last year, he should be contributing more.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

berg

I think weems is a good complimentary player.

His biggest detriment to taking over a game is ball handling.  He hasn't shown the ability to take his man off the dribble from a stopped position.  If he catches the ball on the move, he is explosive and can go by someone but he doesn't have the ability to dribble around someone.

He must get his offense from within the system and that isn't easy w/out consistent point guard play or a consistent offensive system that anyone can even identify.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: berg on February 11, 2007, 07:00:22 pm
He must get his offense from within the system and that isn't easy w/out consistent point guard play or a consistent offensive system that anyone can even identify.

Since you brought that up, I think Sonny and Welch have something goin' their way when they are both in the game. They seem to enhance each other's game a bit.

Razor6

If only he could be as consistent as Beverly...
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

MHHog

He comes off screens and shoots a great jumper, I think his biggest weakness is that when he does handle the ball he doesn't look to drive to the rim as much. He is a great athlete and needs to use those legs more than just on fast break dunks. Overall, I've enjoyed watching him play this year though.

pignatious

When your coach sucks, it is very hard for a player to develop to his potential. Even if they have great talent like Weems. Heath does not develop players very well.
Freedom is never free.

hog caller

something or someone has changed his style of play. which has changed where he tkes most of his shots from . he plays excellent defence but is struggling a little with what they are having hin do or he is just pushing to hard and needs to relax.

jamie72921

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 11, 2007, 06:10:01 pm
I didn't use those because I figured people would construe that as me trying to make Sonny look bad, while that wasn't my goal.  Here they are though since you asked.

PTS          REB         Asst/TO ratio

His PPG were much better while his rebounds went down a little bit (IMO it was because he was asked to be more of a scorer) and I think the Asst/TO ratio is a little bit better.  The only thing that changed drastically were Brewer's PPG.  I guess my point of this thread was to say that I guess that Weems isn't as much of a scorer that I thought he was going to be.  I was expecting him to be the type of player that would go out and take over games when it was needed.  I don't think Weems is a bad player by any means, just not quite as good as I was expecting.

This is his first season in Heath's system guys, not his 3rd. Making comparisons to Brewer's junior season isn't exactly right. For a juco, Weems has been very good in his first season.

Most juco's don't really shine until their second season in a program. I think Beverly's emergence caused Sonny to back off his game some. He is exceeding my expectations so far.
Bless your heart

lilpiggy

i have enjoyed watching him, i think he will be a hell of a player before its over

gduchar

no. but i don't think he is comfortable in the motion offense. i would love to see some clear out plays or isolations with him. maybe we could even run some designed plays for him to get some decent shots rather than the 18-20 ft fadeaways he's been settling for. of course, that would require some coaching.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 11, 2007, 10:20:06 pm
This is his first season in Heath's system guys, not his 3rd. Making comparisons to Brewer's junior season isn't exactly right. For a juco, Weems has been very good in his first season.

Most juco's don't really shine until their second season in a program. I think Beverly's emergence caused Sonny to back off his game some. He is exceeding my expectations so far.
That's why my post to start the thread compared Brewer's first season to Weems first season.

dhornjr1

To be honest, my expectations for Weems were low because all my expectations are low for Razorback sports right now.

So, actually, he's exceeded my expectations.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 11, 2007, 10:55:26 pm
To be honest, my expectations for Weems were low because all my expectations are low for Razorback sports right now.

Nice way to look at it dhorn.  A wise person once told me that if keep you expectations low and you will be pleasantly surprised more often than if your expectations are set high.  Like I said earlier, I just hope that he can turn it up a notch over these next 6 games and help us get a win streak going.  (dhorn...only 2 more days till pitchers and catchers report for spring training!  Only 7 for position players, and Pujols is already down there!  GO CARDS!)

razor

I like Sonny. I just wish he'd lose that habit he's developed of late, fading on every jump shot.

Pignominious

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 11, 2007, 06:52:38 pm
For some reason, JUCO's don't always work out for us (see Dontell Jefferson).  Weems hasn't been a complete disappointment, but if he was the top JUCO last year, he should be contributing more.

I think he has done a pretty solid job.  I kind of wish he had a coach that could consistantly get him to play hard.  If he didn't turn the ball over so much he would have exceeded my expectations.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 11, 2007, 10:20:06 pm
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 11, 2007, 06:10:01 pm

PTS          REB         Asst/TO ratio

Most juco's aren't the top rated juco player either are they?
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

dhornjr1

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 11, 2007, 11:05:08 pm
Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 11, 2007, 10:55:26 pm

Nice way to look at it dhorn.  A wise person once told me that if keep you expectations low and you will be pleasantly surprised more often than if your expectations are set high.  Like I said earlier, I just hope that he can turn it up a notch over these next 6 games and help us get a win streak going.  (dhorn...only 2 more days till pitchers and catchers report for spring training!  Only 7 for position players, and Pujols is already down there!  GO CARDS!)

That is part of the reason I keep my expectations low. I was very pleasantly surprised with the ten game winning streak and with McFadden's run for the Heisman.

2 DAYS!! YES!!! Pujols is already there? That is why he's the best player in baseball. He's always striving to get better and working his butt off to make it come true.

PUJOLS = PROFESSIONALISM

HawgG

Sonny Weems is who he is.He has never been or will never be a superstar.He is a complementry player to a star player and that's it.A role player.

Weems was the preseason #JC player but he was not the #1 JC player at season's end.

He earned that #1 ranking by having a spectacular showing at either a JC tournament or All-Star game.

Basically the samething he has done at Arkansas.He has a great game or two and is declared the 2nd coming by most fans.

If Beverley and Hill come back next season, they are our 2 stars.With a sophomore Washington and 3 incoming players, I wouldn't be surprised if Weems' scoring goes down next season.He is what he is.

Junkyard Hog

No1Hog27

Unfortunately No, I think at this point he can't take anyone off the dribble, and to play on the wing, that's what we need.  I think he also needs a consistent outside shot.  But I do believe he has the talent and he will get there.

311Hog

Dugann

I feel that he is adapting well and getting use to the speed of the D1, but I really did expect more I thought he'd take the SEC by storm but hey there is still time and he has not done a bad job at all I just thought he'd already be a notch above what he is showing right now.  Again I am not knocking him think he is doing great and is the 2ND best player on the team right now, but I was hoping and thinking that he was going step in and post 20ish a night consistently.  I think he will next year even under Stan if he is still around.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

jry04

Sonny was not hyped to be a shooter. He was hyped to be a great athlete. That is exactly what he is. His shot is way better than most people expected. When we recruited him it appeared his only weakness was his mid-range and 3 point shot. I think Weems and Beverley have potential to be better than Brewer. Unfortunately, Weems only has one more year to prove it. IMO, both Bev and Weems play better man defense than Brewer. Brewer was just really good in the zone due to his long arms that could fill up the passing lanes.

jry04

Quote from: HawgG on February 12, 2007, 01:08:45 am
Sonny Weems is who he is.He has never been or will never be a superstar.He is a complementry player to a star player and that's it.A role player.

Weems was the preseason #JC player but he was not the #1 JC player at season's end.

He earned that #1 ranking by having a spectacular showing at either a JC tournament or All-Star game.

Basically the samething he has done at Arkansas.He has a great game or two and is declared the 2nd coming by most fans.

If Beverley and Hill come back next season, they are our 2 stars.With a sophomore Washington and 3 incoming players, I wouldn't be surprised if Weems' scoring goes down next season.He is what he is.
I am positive both will be back. Beverley will be for sure. He will probably be here for at least two more years. Beverley doesn't seem interested in going pro anytime soon. He actually promised he wouldn't leave Arkansas without a championship unless he is graduating.

hillhog

I expected more from Weems from what I had heard and read.  Someone I think said we were running a Motion offense. If that is it, is it designed to look like everyman for himself?? There appears to be no pattern to get open shots for anyone except when we go to Hill or Weems for a dunk. In the last few games it looks to me like Weems is not getting squared up to take his shot, shooting off the jump, going sideways. I can not recall anyone having a high percentage shot shooting like that.

booogaga

i think weems is doing fine. it is his first year in teh sec, he will be beter next year. growing up in fort smith and being a UA Fort Smith alumn got to watch him a couple of times. he is a real team player. with the unexpected rise of beverly and others who have started to take the lead offensively, he has taken a step back and become more of a team player. i think weems is a big push for this current team.
GO HOGS!

press ham

sonny plays well in transiton. he doesn't do well playing "slow it down heathball".

he would be an all-american at missouri.