Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who's your All-Arkansas NBA team?

Started by Arkiejared, February 02, 2007, 01:46:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

heinekenhary

February 03, 2007, 03:54:25 pm #50 Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 06:39:57 pm by heinekenhary
PG-Darrell Walker(played lots of PG w/ Knicks, great defender)
SG-Sidney Moncrief(Bird said he was one of top 3 defenders he faced)
SF-Scottie Pippen(Top 50 all-time)
PF-Michael Cage(check his career #'s, you might be surprised)
C-Smokin Joe from Slater MO

Bench:
Alvin Robertson-G                 Oliver Miller-C
Derek Fisher-G                     Todd Day-G
Joe Johnson-G                      Brewer Sr-G                     
Corliss-F                              Caldwell Jones-C/PF
Andrew Lang-C
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
-Lou Brock

heinekenhary

February 03, 2007, 04:06:51 pm #51 Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 04:08:25 pm by heinekenhary
Did anyone mention Caldwell Jones?  Wasn't he from AR?

Houston hater,
you are wrong on Moncrief not having a "great" career.  Go check his all-star appearances and All-NBA defensive teams and tell me Corliss has had a better career than Moncrief.  I'll put Alvin's career up against Corliss' any day.  Alvin had 3 all-star games and was NBA Defensive POY.  He's also one of 2(their might be 3) players to ever have a quad/double in a game.  He was a top-tier 2-gaurd for a 3 yr. stretch.  I love Corliss, but he's never been on anyone's top-tier list for forwards.
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
-Lou Brock

Mister_BS

February 03, 2007, 04:21:41 pm #52 Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 04:23:51 pm by Mister_BS
Frankly, not a wide variety of guys to choose from...

PG - Ron Brewer, Darrell Walker
SG - Sidney Moncrief, Alvin Robertson
SF - Scottie Pippen, Bob Stephens  8)
PF - Caldwell Jones, Michael Cage
C  - Joe Kleine, Joe Barry Carroll

Since I'm a native of Indiana, here's my best Hoosiers team...

PG - Isiah Thomas
SG - Oscar Robertson
SF - Larry Bird
PF - George McGinnis
C  -  Kent Benson

jamie72921

Quote from: Mister_BS on February 03, 2007, 04:21:41 pm

PG - Isiah Thomas
SG - Oscar Robertson
SF - Larry Bird
PF - George McGinnis
C  -  Kent Benson

Where is Oscar Robertson from?
Bless your heart

Mister_BS

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 03, 2007, 04:30:25 pm
Quote from: Mister_BS on February 03, 2007, 04:21:41 pm

PG - Isiah Thomas
SG - Oscar Robertson
SF - Larry Bird
PF - George McGinnis
C  -  Kent Benson

Where is Oscar Robertson from?
The Big O is from Indianapolis. He led an all-black school, Crispus Attucks, to the 1955 and '56 state championships, going 30-1 in '55 and the first undefeated Indiana state champ in '56. It was the first all-black school in the U.S. to win an overall state title.

He went to Cincinnati and led the nation in scoring 3 years straight, etc etc etc
Isiah is from Chicago but played at Indiana. the other four are all Indiana natives who played at indiana colleges

Qbackinman

Quote from: Arkiejared on February 02, 2007, 01:46:16 pm
I was wondering with the whole Joe Johnson situation who people from AR would pick for an All-Arkansas starting 5 in the NBA.  The player doesn't have to be one who played college ball for the Hogs, but he must have AR roots (i.e. Scottie Pippin).

It's a tough one. I don't have any idea who should be playing pt....maybe Walker?  I think Joe would be at the 2, but do you put Scottie at the 3 or Moncrief?  Corliss at pf probably, but who at center?  Joe Kliene?  Andrew Lang?...

Pt. guard-  Ron Brewer
Shooting guard-  Sidney Moncrief
Small forward-  Marvin Delph
Power forward-  Corliss Williamson
Center-  Oliver Miller (before ballooning up)
Off the bench....G Alvin Robertson, G Darrell Walker, G-F Todd Day, G Joe Johnson, SF Ronnie Brewer, C Joe Kleine

For All State of Arkansas

PG Derek Fisher (LR, UALR)
SG Sidney Moncrief
SF Scottie Pippen (Hamburg, UCA)
PF Michael Cage (West Memphis)
C Caldwell Jones (Desha Central)

Bench: Corliss Williamson, Alvin Robertson, Ron Brewer, Oliver Miller, Joe Kleine.

Qbackinman

Just to be clear......the five starters listed in the quote box were my answers to his question, by position, followed by bench players and overall Arkies.

Carry On.

softballguy8

Quote from: heinekenhary on February 03, 2007, 04:06:51 pm

Houston hater,
you are wrong on Moncrief not having a "great" career.  Go check his all-star appearances and All-NBA defensive teams and tell me Corliss has had a better career than Moncrief.  I'll put Alvin's career up against Corliss' any day.  Alvin had 3 all-star games and was NBA Defensive POY.  He's also one of 2(their might be 3) players to ever have a quad/double in a game.  He was a top-tier 2-gaurd for a 3 yr. stretch.  I love Corliss, but he's never been on anyone's top-tier list for forwards.

great post ... agreed with every word you said. Props to Corliss for having a great career, but AR was a 3 time all-star.
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

softballguy8

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 02, 2007, 08:29:41 pm
Quote from: softballguy8 on February 02, 2007, 04:49:31 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on February 02, 2007, 04:14:50 pm
Quote from: softballguy8 on February 02, 2007, 03:52:33 pm
Quote from: hamdrag on February 02, 2007, 03:35:57 pm
Scottie Pippen should be the first on EVERYBODYS BALLOT.......Him and Sidney are BY FAR the 2 best ever NBA players out of Arkansas....PERIOD

I agree ... but I'm seeing people on here putting him as a PG? Am I wrong, I thought he was the small forward for the Bulls? He was often referred to as a "point forward", because he could handle the ball .... but he wasn't the point on those teams.

Because I think that, I'll post the following:

PG - Fisher
SG - Moncrief / Robertson (Johnson may end up there, but not quite yet)
F - Pippen
PF - Cage / Corliss
C - Kline / Lang

How do you guys keep picking Fisher over Ron Brewer?

I'm thinking that Ron Brewer was 2 Guard, not PG. The quesion to list by position. I don't know another PG better than Fisher? But I may be wrong. I'm not as old as some of you farts on this board. :)

Brewer was a combo guard. He played a lot of point guard at San Antonio while Gervin was there. He was much better than Fisher too.

Fisher was only a part timer on those Lakers teams. Ron Harper played more point than Fisher.

I don't 100% agree (or disagree) with the harper vs fisher argument, but I didn't realize that Boot played combo. I'm not going to change my belief because Boot is not listed as a PG. But it makes for good internet message board conversation, nonetheless.
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

Houston h

Houston hater,
Moncrief and Robertson played different positions than Corliss so you can't make that comparison.  I believe you measure sucess at the NBA level by championships and last time I checked, Sid and Alvin were still waiting on their rings.  Not taking anything away from them, they were two of my favorite players ever at Akrkansas but I don't think they lived up to peoples expectations in the NBA.

jamie72921

Quote from: Houston hater on February 03, 2007, 09:01:58 pm

Houston hater,
Moncrief and Robertson played different positions than Corliss so you can't make that comparison.  I believe you measure sucess at the NBA level by championships and last time I checked, Sid and Alvin were still waiting on their rings.  Not taking anything away from them, they were two of my favorite players ever at Akrkansas but I don't think they lived up to peoples expectations in the NBA.

The whole ring thing is retarded.

Joe Kleine has a ring and he contributed absolutely nothing towards it. Same for Darrell Walker.
Bless your heart

heinekenhary

Houston hater,

You made the comparison first.
Moncrief was considered a "great" player for years in the NBA.  He was also one of the top rebounding gaurds during his career.  If you don't believe that, well, you haven't a clue about this discussion.  Again, Alvin was a 3-time All-Star AND DEFENSIVE POY, FOR THE ENTIRE NBA!  Corliss has a 6th man award, HUGE DIFFERENCE.  Corliss has had a nice career, but again, he's NEVER been considered a top-tier forward in the league, Sid and Alvin were BOTH considered top-tier gaurds for a period of time.  The positions they played don't have anything to do with judging their careers.

The whole ring thing is just stupid.  There are TONS of guys that weren't even average NBA players with rings.  Corliss have a better career than Sir Charles, Ewing, Malone or Stockton?   Get a clue.
-Lou Brock

Mister_BS

Quote from: heinekenhary on February 03, 2007, 09:19:20 pm

Houston hater,

Moncrief was considered a "great" player for years in the NBA.  He was also one of the top rebounding gaurds during his career.  If you don't believe that, well, you haven't a clue about this discussion.  Again, Alvin was a 3-time All-Star AND DEFENSIVE POY, FOR THE ENTIRE NBA!  Corliss has a 6th man award, HUGE DIFFERENCE.  Corliss has had a nice career, but again, he's NEVER been considered a top-tier forward in the league, Sid and Alvin were BOTH considered top-tier gaurds for a period of time.  The positions they played don't have anything to do with judging their careers.

The whole ring thing is just stupid.  There are TONS of guys that weren't even average NBA players with rings.  Corliss have a better career than Sir Charles, Ewing, Malone or Stockton?   Get a clue.
Sidney was Defensive Player of the Year, too, if my memory is working after several pre-Super Bowl adult beverages. The ring argument is full of holes and means nothing. Corliss won his with Detroit and hardly played, I think.

Ron Brewer was NBA player of the week (for what it's worth) while filling in for "Iceman" Gervin at San Diego. Boot could play and the guys in the league knew it, but also knew he wasn't dedicated enough to stay away from distractions or his career would've been better

Michael Cage was a better NBA player than Corliss; so was Caldwell Jones

football17

IMO, you gotta have Fisher at PG... he's the best at that position...

BigDeal

Unbelievable Scottie Pippen has about 6 championship rings and rated a Top 50 player of all time, and some people don't even have him starting on the "All-Arkansas" team ? Talking about hog bias !

heinekenhary

Quote from: Mister_BS on February 04, 2007, 01:35:46 am
Quote from: heinekenhary on February 03, 2007, 09:19:20 pm

Houston hater,

Sidney was Defensive Player of the Year, too, if my memory is working after several pre-Super Bowl adult beverages. The ring argument is full of holes and means nothing. Corliss won his with Detroit and hardly played, I think.

Ron Brewer was NBA player of the week (for what it's worth) while filling in for "Iceman" Gervin at San Diego. Boot could play and the guys in the league knew it, but also knew he wasn't dedicated enough to stay away from distractions or his career would've been better

Michael Cage was a better NBA player than Corliss; so was Caldwell Jones

I don't know that Sid ever won Defensive POY.  You could be right.
He was on a few All-NBA Defensive teams, though.  And I still remember Bird saying that Sid was one of the 2 or 3 best defenders that gaurded him.  Remember, Bird was 6'9" and Sid was 6'4", so that speaks volumes that Bird would say that.
I would root so hard for those Bucks teams and they could never get past the Celtics or the 76er's.
-Lou Brock

Mister_BS

In fact (I looked it up), Sidney won the NBA's first TWO Defensive Player of the Year award, in 1982-83 and '83-84

heinekenhary

Quote from: Mister_BS on February 04, 2007, 12:35:54 pm
In fact (I looked it up), Sidney won the NBA's first TWO Defensive Player of the Year award, in 1982-83 and '83-84

And yet we have someone in this thread that claims he didn't live up to expectations and didn't have a great career.   
How soon people forget.
-Lou Brock

Tusks

Quote from: Mister_BS on February 04, 2007, 12:35:54 pm

Wasn't it in Sids rookie year that he scored the only points for both teams in a OT win.....6 points but I can't remember the opponent.

Oh and Kareem broke the all time scoring record in Vegas in case Bob needs to know :)
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit