Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

who was a better bb coach nolan or eddie

Started by hogsandroyals, January 31, 2007, 02:46:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

proffitthog

okiehawg

Arkfan

I liked Nolan's style of play alot better so Im gonna say Nolan too.

RealHogFan

Nolan. 

We ended up dominating the SWC with him unlike we ever had under Eddie - except for with the Triplets.  We supplanted Phi Slamma Jamma.  Then we dominated the SEC from admission through 1995.  Greatest spell of bball we have ever seen. 

Conway Cool Daddy

I have to say Eddie was the best pure basketball coach that Arkansas has ever had. Nolan had a great system
and deserves more credit than he gets, but he was standing on Eddie's shoulders.
Eddie's players were fundamentally sound and his in game coaching was outstanding.

Eddie went to OKlahoma st and took them to the Final Four. Oklahoma State? Not too many guys can be successful wherever they go.

arkjay19

Nolan.  His intensity and style were great.

it's just too bad he went crazy and paranoid.

VolHogg

I doubt we would ever had Nolan if Eddie Sutton had not put us on the BB map.

Eddie Sutton gets my vote.

budcampbellfan

Once SEC coaches caught on how to negate 40" of Hell Nolan had no idea what else to do.

I vote Eddie Sutton.  but it's close.  Eddie's teams were Arkansas Razorback teams.  Nolan's teams were Nolan's teams, "my" team.  That's how he termed it.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

January 31, 2007, 03:07:31 pm #9 Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 03:11:02 pm by Question-Man
Nolan.

I think Nolan had more dominant teams while he was here, and when comparing the dominant teams of the two coaches, Nolan's dominant teams were even more dominant than Eddie's.

BTW, having perused some of the other posts in this thread, everyone should also try to remember how far Eddie's teams dipped his last 4 years or so also.  Nolan came to a BARE pantry of talent.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

The real Hogules

Nolan, he was ahead of his time.
It was to bad he was stuck in he past where race relatios were concerned.
He's still my choice as the best to ever coach at the UofA and is the reason we have a basketball palace to call home!
I'll always be greatful to him for his contributions to the program.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

The real Hogules

He's still my choice as the best to ever coach at the UofA and is the reason we have a basketball palace to call home!

VolHogg

The only time I remember Nolan playing Eddie, when Nolan was at Tulsa and Eddie was At Ark, Eddie won.   

The real Hogules

razorbackmike

I have to say Nolan.

Dispite what many like to believe, Eddie was a really good coach but I would not say great.  In fact, he is not considered by ANY of the major schools that he coach at to be the best coach they ever had (Oklahoma State -- Iba, Arkansas -- Nolan, Kentucky -- any coach they have had since 39 has done more there, and Creighton -- Dana Altman).

VolHogg

The only time I remember Nolan playing Eddie, when Nolan was at Tulsa and Eddie was At Ark, Eddie won.   

The real Hogules

Winner

Quote from: DezPigNutts on January 31, 2007, 02:51:21 pm
National Championships say Nolan.

that's the bottom line.  and two final fours, and other other championship game appearance.  eddie's teams had a tendency to flame out in the tourney.  only one final four, and he had some ridiculously good teams that got bounced early.

VolHogg

razorbackmike

Quote from: arkhog9 on January 31, 2007, 03:01:53 pm
Nolan.  His intensity and style were great.

it's just too bad he went crazy and paranoid.

Did he? 

I have to also go with Nolan.  Eddie has done a lot at different schools but I doubt that any of the schools would say that he was the best coach they ever had.(Oklahoma State -- Iba, Arkansas -- Nolan, Kentucky -- I think that he is the only coach since WWII not to take them to the final four, and Creighton -- Altman)

rasorback4life

Mediocrity Rules!!!

EastexHawg

Tough question.  I would say Eddie Sutton.  Eddie did it at more schools, and over a longer period of time.  Nolan's star rose quickly, then flamed out just as fast. 

Eddie also took over an Arkansas program that was in bad, bad shape and put it on the map nationally.  I think his achievements paved the way for Nolan's.

Both are excellent basketball coaches, though. 

VolHogg

sorry about the extra post, 2 first times it said that page is closed.

Houston h

Eddie put Arkansas on the map.  Nolan made it ground zero! Nolan was the man, look at how many coaches over the years have emulated his style and there in iteslf is your answer.

rasorback4life

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on January 31, 2007, 02:59:00 pm
I have to say Eddie was the best pure basketball coach that Arkansas has ever had. Nolan had a great system
and deserves more credit than he gets, but he was standing on Eddie's shoulders.
Eddie's players were fundamentally sound and his in game coaching was outstanding.

Eddie went to OKlahoma st and took them to the Final Four. Oklahoma State? Not too many guys can be successful wherever they go.

I think that Nolan won championships wherever he went.
Mediocrity Rules!!!

VolHogg

How many times has Eddie been to final 4, and how many differeent teams did he take.. No Contest Eddie is the best coach.

budcampbellfan

Before Sutton Arkansas would win what - 5 games a year.  We were a total joke.  We had no talent and no tradition.  He turned it around over night. 

Too bad he went down at the end but Nolan took years to turn it around and in his end went down in a blazing self-destructive malicious public rage to the shame of everyone around him.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

rasorback4life

Richardson began his coaching career at Bowie High School in El Paso, Texas. He then moved to Western Texas Junior College, where he won the national junior college championship in 1980. He was the head coach at Tulsa from 1981 to 1985, leading Tulsa to the NIT championship in 1981. In 1985 Richardson became the head coach at the University of Arkansas, where he gained national recognition.

Richardson went to the Final Four three times at Arkansas, losing to Duke in the semifinals in 1990, winning the tournament in 1994, and losing to UCLA in the finals in 1995. He was named the national coach of the year in 1994. His teams typically played an uptempo game with intense pressure defense - a style Richardson called "40 Minutes of Hell." He is the winningest coach in Arkansas history, compiling a 389-169 record in 17 seasons. (Note: Mike Anderson was 1-1 as interim Head Coach in 2002 while Richardson was suspended by the Arkansas Athletic Department). He is the only head coach to win a junior college championship, the NIT, and the NCAA tournament.

Enough said!!!!
Mediocrity Rules!!!

rasorback4life

University of Kentucky
In 1985 Sutton took the helm of one of the nation's most prestigious college basketball programs at the University of Kentucky succeeding Joe B. Hall. The main blemishes on his coaching resume are related to his tenure at Kentucky. He is the only Kentucky coach since the inception of the NCAA tournament in 1939 who never led the Wildcats to the Final Four. Also, his only losing season as a coach was in his last season at Kentucky in 1988-89. Finally, his tenure at Kentucky ended with a scandal that nearly destroyed the school's basketball program (and also led to ex-Kentucky Wildcat star Cliff Hagan's resignation as the school's athletic director), although he was fully cleared of any wrongdoing by the NCAA. One player was found to have received improper assistance on his college entrance exams, and a second was found to have received cash payments from a booster.

Too many problems!!

Mediocrity Rules!!!

rasorback4life

Quote from: VolHogg on January 31, 2007, 03:16:51 pm
How many times has Eddie been to final 4, and how many differeent teams did he take.. No Contest Eddie is the best coach.

3 times.  Nolan 3 times.  Eddie took 2 different teams, but Nolan won CHAMPIONSHIPS everywhere he has been.  How many Championships has Eddie Played for?
Mediocrity Rules!!!

budcampbellfan

Both coaches self-destructed in the end.  Broyles is hard to live with.  LOL.

VolHogg

Eddie Sutton the rare distinction of having taken two schools (Arkansas and Oklahoma State) to the Final Four, and was the first coach to lead four schools to the NCAA tournament.

Eddie Sutton!!

stevenwayneslane

As much as I hate to say it. Nolan Championships speak volumes

spudhog

WILL CLINTON

How is this even a question??

Nolan hands down.  Nolan has 3 National Titles in 3 different classifications under his belt.  Eddie has an empty vodka bottle, a cheerleader skirt, and a court at Oklahoma St named after him. 

Get real. 

Eddie was an average coach with great talent at Arkansas.

Nolan was a great coach with average talent and turned them into Champions. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

scootman

A new era in Razorback Football has arrived!

EastexHawg

As for the comment about Eddie leaving the program in shambles and the cupboard bare for Nolan...you might want to take a look at that again.

Sure, Eddie's teams never repeated the 26-1, 16-0 SWC record in 1977...followed by the 32-4, #3 finish in 1978...and the 25-5, #5 ranking in 1979...but these are his teams' records and final rankings during his last five years at Arkansas:

1980-1981...24-8...#20 in final AP poll...reached Sweet 16 round of NCAA tournament
1981-1982...23-6...#12 AP, #13 UPI...lost in second round
1982-1983...26-4...#9 AP, #9 UPI...reached Sweet 16
1983-1984...25-7...#8 AP, #7 UPI...lost in first round
1984-1985...22-13...#25 ESPN poll...lost in second round

That's a combined record of 120-38 (.759), with NCAA tournament wins in all but one year, top ten rankings two of his last three years, a final ranking all five years, and at least 22 wins every year.

Stan Heath only hopes his teams can struggle like that one of these days.

budcampbellfan

Nolan was better than Sutton at his peak.  That OU guy kicked Nolan's ass every time though.  I think eddie beat him some.

arkiehog1

Both coaches were great in their particular style of basketball. Eddie with the patience half court offense and Nolan with his 40 minutes of Hell. Both coaches contributed to the success of the Basketball program on the hill. Eddie took us to national prominence and Nolan keep us there.
If you want to go to Heaven and walk the streets of gold. You have to know the password is -----
Go Hogs Go

upperdeck_hawg

I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

RBLtoHOG

In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

mbgrulz

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on January 31, 2007, 02:59:00 pm

oh, so we're talking "pure basketball". i almost forgot that there was more than one kind.

nolan won a NC with his own players. something that eddie couldnt do...anywhere. 

i guess eddie had to crawl to kentucky because he was too drunk to drive. i just thought it was because he didnt like it here.

good fundamentals got eddie ZERO hardware for all his hardwork. nolan has 3 national titles, but hey...eddie was successful everywhere he went unlike nolan.

silvertip

Quote from: Question-Man on January 31, 2007, 03:07:31 pm
Nolan.

BTW, having perused some of the other posts in this thread, everyone should also try to remember how far Eddie's teams dipped his last 4 years or so also.  Nolan came to a BARE pantry of talent.

That's just flat-out ridiculous.

I don't have to "remember how far Eddie's teams dipped in his last four years or so" because IT DIDN"T HAPPEN. At least TRY to get your facts right. Sheesh.

Eddie's last five season's:

'81--24-8, 13-3, 1st SWC, Sweet 16 NCAAT
'82--23-6, 12-4, 1st SWC, 1-1 NCAAT
'83--26-4, 14-2, 2nd SWC, Sweet 16
'84--25-7, 14-2, 2nd SWC, 0-1 NCAAT
'85--22-13, 10-6, 2nd SWC, 1-1 NCAAT

There was no "slipping" at all at the end, the cupboard was NOT left bare, and Eddie's final 5 years make Nolan's final five look like the total JOKE that it was. Eddie won 2 SWC championships his last 5 years. Nolan never even won the SEC West his last 7.

You've got it totally reversed, Question Man. It was NOLAN that slipped bad in his last 5 years or so, and NOLAN who left the cupboard BARE as hell.

In 11 years, Eddie had a better total record than Nolan, better confernce record than Nolan, more All Anericans, and more players drafted into the NBA in 11 years than Nolan did in 17.

Eddie was far and away the better coach. 

mykidsdad

silvertip

Quote from: arkiehog1 on January 31, 2007, 03:49:42 pm
Both coaches were great in their particular style of basketball. Eddie with the patience half court offense and Nolan with his 40 minutes of Hell. Both coaches contributed to the success of the Basketball program on the hill. Eddie took us to national prominence and Nolan keep us there.

Problem is, Nolan did NOT keep us there. The program was below where it was when Nolan arrived for his last few years & a junk heap when he left.

silvertip

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on January 31, 2007, 03:55:09 pm
NC banners: nolan 1 , eddie 0

That's a wonderful stat for the casual fan & those with short attention spans.

Isapig

I think it's a close question.  Eddie took a program that played in a tin barn with a sawdust floor and turned it into a national powerhouse.  Nolan elevated that program into a National Championship team. They both coached tough man to man defense which became an Arkansas trademark and filled the stands with the most frenzied fans in the country, a reflection of the intensity of the teams they put on the floor.  Both were flawed men but I give great credit to each.   I miss the passionate intensity of their teams, sometimes the sheer ferocity of the Hogs style intimated opponents.  I don't think Stan Heath's Big 10 style zone and slow moving half court approach will ever match the emotional power, or on court success, of those great teams.  If I have to choose I believe Eddie has been a better coach longer and more consistently than Nolan.  I think Nolan's peak of excellence exceeded Eddie's. 

silvertip

Quote from: dubyacee on January 31, 2007, 03:39:10 pm

Get real. 

Eddie was an average coach with great talent at Arkansas.

Nolan was a great coach with average talent and turned them into Champions. 

Yeah, & I guess Eddie just lucked into great talent at Okie State, too.

Only thing that Nolan had over Eddie was Corliss Williamson. That is not "average talent."

Tusks

I was around for both and that's a tough question.....which kid do you like better?

I'd go with Nolan because he won a NC but BOTH were a helluva of a coach.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

501Ben