Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson court at Bud Walton. Support it?

Started by cohog, January 30, 2007, 12:17:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Houston hater on January 30, 2007, 08:53:28 am
Quote from: Houston hater on Today at 08:43:52 AM
You guys are cold!  Nolan had every right to be bitter and resentful given the way he was treated by the Arkansas media and JFB.  I met Nolan as a student and ended up buying a home close to his ranch.  My son rode horses there and helped feed all his animals for years, Nolan treated him like family.  He is a good man!  You wouldn't believe the things he was put through that never surfaced.

is that why he called us fans redneck sob fans and turds

If the shoe fits?
Half of Arkansas is redneck sob's and turds!

do you drown when it rains?  y'know, with your nose stuck up so much in the air?

Bomis Hawg

An appology from both sides (University and Nolan) would be critical.

If that were to happen under a new AD, I'd be all for it.  Nolan built an empire at Barnhill/Bud Walton.  Barnhill, Rose, Schmidt started it.  Sutton built it.  Nolan made it.

For all of the crazy things Nolan has done, he still put Hawg Ball on the map.  Changed the landscape of the SEC.  If it wasn't for Nolan now, we might not upset when the Hoop Hogs lose in the first round.

Nolan Richardson Court is an idea.  I am not opposed to it, under the right circumstances.

Razorback88

Name the court after him?

Has there ever been a case where a coach who was FIRED got a court named after him at that school?

He doesn't want his name on anything here anyway.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on January 30, 2007, 09:03:22 am
Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 30, 2007, 08:44:07 am
Quote from: N HOG on January 30, 2007, 12:26:05 am
I'm for it all the way -- the ONLY coach in the history of the University of Arkansas to win an UNDISPUTED NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in a major sport.

other than track 40 times

Track is a major sport?

do you just go post to post looking for quotes by me, sheesh.

Nutts and Bolts

Absolutely NOT. I do not forget.  He used that race card way to many times. He got to the point of THINKING he could select instead of recruiting.  He got fat and lazy and when it came tumbling down on him, he pulled out the race card... He needs to stay gone.
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Houston h

You guys are cold!  Nolan had every right to be bitter and resentful given the way he was treated by the Arkansas media and JFB.  I met Nolan as a student and ended up buying a home close to his ranch.  My son rode horses there and helped feed all his animals for years, Nolan treated him like family.  He is a good man!  You wouldn't believe the things he was put through that never surfaced.

If the shoe fits?
Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 30, 2007, 08:57:05 am

If the shoe fits?

do you drown when it rains?  y'know, with your nose stuck up so much in the air?
Nah, I just know the kind of people that he was referring too.  Have you been in a Wal-Mart lately?

arkiehog1

I would support it about as much as renaming the football stadium after Houston Nutt........ it's not just very good logic to name something after someones been fired. Do you think the Board of Wal-mart would approve of naming Wal-mart General Offices after Tom Coughlin?????
If you want to go to Heaven and walk the streets of gold. You have to know the password is -----
Go Hogs Go

BumpieJohnson

Unless you have expericed racsim you can't say someone is wrong for firing. Let the record show he called Wally Hall a redneck sob not the fans. Some fans just take things and run with it Frank Broyles is a dirty man, and as long as he is in charge the court will be a court. But it is funny OSU named thier court after Eddie Sutton will broyles name Bud Walton after him too. Eddie was a great coach here also.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 30, 2007, 09:37:37 am
Unless you have expericed racsim you can't say someone is wrong for firing. Let the record show he called Wally Hall a redneck sob not the fans. Some fans just take things and run with it Frank Broyles is a dirty man, and as long as he is in charge the court will be a court. But it is funny OSU named thier court after Eddie Sutton will broyles name Bud Walton after him too. Eddie was a great coach here also.

Great - here comes the 'moral authority'

"unless you have expereienced racism"

um, ok... what about poverty?  or sexism?  or being made fun of for being ugly? or short? or too tall? or fat? or your accent?  or your clothes?  or your car? or your parent abandoing your family?

how come nolan growing up and 'experiencing racism' trumps all those other things i listed above?  how come nolan was able to skirt through his life full of anger because of "RACISM" whereas if you had that much rage at any other job because of the things i listed above you'd be fired?

the man deserves no respect until he apologizes for his comments and the repuatational damage to the U of A.  give me a break - we fired him AND WE PAYED HIM MILLIONS EACH YEAR TO SIT AT HOME POST 2002.

yep, UA's $$$ ----> a non-coaching nolan because he was a poor widdle 'victim'.  can i get some of that cash for my life's problems, too?

zebra

It won't happen, to honor him probably won't even happen either.

fourthcrusade

oh yeah, and another fave:

Nolan: "THEY SHOULD BUILD A STATUE OF ME OUT THERE"

wow.  1 championship.  did john mcdonnell ever say anything close to that after 42?

doo-ran

Conway Cool Daddy

I have a suggestion:

The Nolan Richardson School of Public Relations and Media Utilization.
The students could have their own dorms and graduation wouldn't be emphasized.

doo-ran

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on January 30, 2007, 09:58:04 am
I have a suggestion:

LOL

Houston h

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on January 30, 2007, 09:58:04 am
I have a suggestion:

That's a funny post, I'll give you that!
Did anyone care if Corliss or Todd Day graduated when they were in school?  Nolan wasn't there to do anything except coach a team and that's what he did!
How did we get off the HDN and JFB discussion anyway?  They are the outlaws here!

bigpig79

why should the u of a celebrate the ncaa nc?  we should have won another by this time.  we shouldn't celebrate the anniversary just b/c we have'nt been there recently.  that would be embarassing.   :'(

Michaelt

One NC? Is that all it takes to get a court named after you?
wow, talk about low standards.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Houston h

Forgive me if I'm wrong but did Eddie win one at OSU?

doo-ran

Quote from: ballhog24 on January 30, 2007, 10:04:04 am
No doubt, look at Coach K, where is his court?

stratpkr

Quote from: dhornjr1 on January 30, 2007, 12:43:09 am
I'm just waiting for the Nolan haters to get wind of this thread. Then, accusations of Nolan being a racist will be flying thick and fast.

I don't think they should name anything after nolan.

And I wouldn't call nolan a racist. But he would accuse anyone of being one that stood up to him or went against what he wanted. I got really tired of that and finally so did the majority of folks. I still feel sorry for the guy though. His hate ate him up.

Ouachihog

No.  I would be 100% against this.  Nolan was more about himself than the UA...

build a statue of me..

pay me my money...

when rick pitino does it they call it up tempo, when I run it they call it...

One thing I have noticed about bball coaches, it is easy to show class when you are 31-3, but it is much more difficult when you are a .500 team.  I may have my problems with Stan Heath from time to time, but he displays more class in a 9 win season than Nolan did when he won the national title.  A basketball court should not be named after a coach who ridiculed the administration and the fans, was fired for doing so, and then filed suit b/c he was fired! 

"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

George S. Pigton

I think he deserves it, no statue though.  Others have done less and have
courts named after them.   
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

Bomis Hawg

Actually, it is Coach K court at Cameron Indoor.

Coach Mc gets an entire building.  Nolan can get a court.

Anon2

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on January 30, 2007, 08:30:57 am
Nolan Court at Bud Walton Arena would be a step in helping clear his legacy.  A guy, like Nolan, who did so many great things as a head coach need to make amends to things just for the sake of college basketball. 

A new AD could come in, extend the olive branch and appologize on behalf of the University.  Maybe that would help spark things.  It's hard to have reunions or things on the 90, 94, and 95 teams without Nolan.

Great idea.

Apologize on behalf of the University?  I really hope this is sarcasm.

jkcrunch

I support it but Frank has to be dea and buried first otherwise it never happens

HaWg 10

"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: doo-ran on January 30, 2007, 10:06:15 am
Quote from: ballhog24 on January 30, 2007, 10:04:04 am
No doubt, look at Coach K, where is his court?

uhhh how about Duke! Pay attention it's Coach K court at Cameron Indoor Stadium
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: Anon2 on September 16, 1973, 03:50:00 am
Apologize on behalf of the University?  I really hope this is sarcasm.

Now if a new AD called Nolan and "We are sorry for the dealings of the previous regime, but we'd like you to still be very associated with the University's basketball team....etc."

You have to realize Nolan won't just come on his own.  That's one way to get into good standing, then maybe an appology of his own.

devildog

Nolan is a nice enough guy but he could never resist grinding the race ax. He felt it was a matter of pride.
I also think he looked up to Thompson and Chaney too much.

No.

budcampbellfan

I would not support it.  The man deliberately destroyed his own program, eaten up with unjustified bitterness.  IMHO
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

HogHillbilly

Won't ever happen..............So it doesn't matter what I want
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

VoR

As much as I liked Nolan most of the time he was here I wouldn't have supported it until this last month. Now I'd jump on it hook, line and sinker, if nothing else to piss Frank off.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

arkrazfan

I am for it, if his teams didn't do good in the late 80's and early 90's, Bud Walton would not have been built.

LR Hog

I don't think it would ever happen, no matter who the administration is.  Because of the way he left. 
Like a boss.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: VoR on January 30, 2007, 11:08:36 am
As much as I liked Nolan most of the time he was here I wouldn't have supported it until this last month. Now I'd jump on it hook, line and sinker, if nothing else to piss Frank off.

You are a special fan. 

preach33

Despite the national title - you all know this will never happen. We did not even have a 10 year renuin or celebration for the national title. The name Nolan Richardson - if JFB could do it - would be totaly removed from the history of U/A

budcampbellfan

NO!  He had the college basketball world by the tail.  Recruiting nationally with the top programs.  Could not handle success.  Claimed to be the best thing that ever happened to UA.  (Maybe he could have been!)  But really it was Arkansas that was the best thing that ever happened to him.  Bad-mouthed the UA and Fayetteville publicly so that recruits would not come.  Embarrassed the university on national TV after the UK loss with the outburst.  Deliberately hurt the university for years afterwards.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

preach33

Quote from: budcampbellfan on January 30, 2007, 11:41:25 am
NO!  He had the college basketball world by the tail.  Recruiting nationally with the top programs.  Could not handle success.  Claimed to be the best thing that ever happened to UA.  (Maybe he could have been!)  But really it was Arkansas that was the best thing that ever happened to him.  Bad-mouthed the UA and Fayetteville publicly so that recruits would not come.  Embarrassed the university on national TV after the UK loss with the outburst.  Deliberately hurt the university for years afterwards.

Well put. I agree this is why it will never happen. Htouhg Frank would not let it happen, even after he is gone, there are countless alumni that would say NO - that have lots more stroke than we do

Chappeee

I'm for it all the way -- the ONLY coach in the history of the University of Arkansas to win an UNDISPUTED NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in a major sport.

WHAT !!!!  have you ever heard of a guy named JOHN MCDONNELL ???

JustoHogFan

Quote from: Chappeee on January 30, 2007, 11:51:32 am

WHAT !!!!  have you ever heard of a guy named JOHN MCDONNELL ???

He said in a major sport track is not a major sport... Football,basketball, and baseball are major sports

I would support it I think Nolan is great.

Rev. Hog

I have always been a supporter of Nolan.  I think he was/is a great coach.  He had a great impact of the University and entire state.  I think that is the least we can do. 

WILL CLINTON

Hell yes I would support it. 

I love it how the Nolan haters only recogonize he using the redneck term, and his racism, and he did this, and he did that.  What about Frank Broyles using the N-word??  What about his racism??  What about how Frank Broyles is intentionally running this program into the ground by allowing the Nuttster to keep his job??  Why is Nolan crucified, but Frank isn't.  Frank played as big of, if not a larger role in Nolan's problems than people want to admit.  Do any of you think that Frank's use of the N-word never got back to Nolan??  Are any of you that naive?? 

Nolan deserves a court and a street named after him.  The way I see it, if you aren't a redneck you shouldn't have been offended when he used the word. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

budcampbellfan

Quote from: Rev. Hog on January 30, 2007, 12:05:04 pm
I have always been a supporter of Nolan.  I think he was/is a great coach.  He had a great impact of the University and entire state.  I think that is the least we can do. 

He also had a deliberately malicious impact and therefore disqualified himself from being memorialized.  He held the university in contempt.

silvertip

Quote from: cohog on January 30, 2007, 12:17:33 am
How many would support naming the court at Bud Walton after Nolan?  What would it take?  Would Nolan need to apologize to the fans first?

No f#@&ing way will I support that & neither will the huge majority of Hawg fans.

Besides that, Eddie Sutton was the better coach & the one responsible for putting the program on the map.

It is more likely to wind up being named after Stan Heath than Nolan.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: budcampbellfan on January 30, 2007, 12:10:42 pm
Quote from: Rev. Hog on January 30, 2007, 12:05:04 pm

He also had a deliberately malicious impact and therefore disqualified himself from being memorialized.  He held the university in contempt.

Isn't that exactly what JFB is doing??  Telling people that if they try to get rid of him before HE is ready, he will open all the closets where the skeletons are, and dig up all the dirty, dirty, dirty little dirt on the University??  Why is it that this type of behavior is only bad when it comes to Nolan??  I think I already know the answer. 

Quote from: silvertip on January 30, 2007, 12:12:50 pm
Quote from: cohog on January 30, 2007, 12:17:33 am
How many would support naming the court at Bud Walton after Nolan?  What would it take?  Would Nolan need to apologize to the fans first?

No f#@&ing way will I support that & neither will the huge majority of Hawg fans.

Besides that, Eddie Sutton was the better coach & the one responsible for putting the program on the map.

It is more likely to wind up being named after Stan Heath than Nolan.

Eddie Sutton was the better coach??  When did he win his Juco/NIT/ or NCAA championship??  OH wait, he didn't, did he??  He couldn't leave the bottle or cheerleaders alone long enough.  The fact that he said he would "crawl to Kentucky to coach there" makes him ineligible in my book. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

budcampbellfan

Quote from: dubyacee on January 30, 2007, 12:06:43 pm
I love it how the Nolan haters only recogonize he using the redneck term, and his racism, and he did this, and he did that.  What about Frank Broyles using the N-word??  What about his racism??  What about how Frank Broyles is intentionally running this program into the ground by allowing the Nuttster to keep his job??  Why is Nolan crucified, but Frank isn't.  Frank played as big of, if not a larger role in Nolan's problems than people want to admit.  Do any of you think that Frank's use of the N-word never got back to Nolan??  Are any of you that naive?? 

Nolan deserves a court and a street named after him.  The way I see it, if you aren't a redneck you shouldn't have been offended when he used the word. 
Nolan was one of many mistakes by Frank.  Don't get me wrong, my opinion of Frank ain't much better (if any).