Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson court at Bud Walton. Support it?

Started by cohog, January 30, 2007, 12:17:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cohog

How many would support naming the court at Bud Walton after Nolan?  What would it take?  Would Nolan need to apologize to the fans first?

dhornjr1

Quote from: cohog on January 30, 2007, 12:17:33 am
How many would support naming the court at Bud Walton after Nolan?  What would it take?  Would Nolan need to apologize to the fans first?

I would support it.

Nolan's looking more sane all the time in light of recent events.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I've always supported it for what he did while he was here. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

moley_russells_wart_hog

yup

hopefully nolan realizes it was a holeism not racism

HawgWyld

He wouldn't need to apologize at all. Nolan, in his prime, managed to win an NCAA championship with the Razorbacks. That's worth some acknowledgment. Besides, it was absolutely pitiful the way the Athletic Department virtually ignored the 10-year anniversary of the season where Arkansas, at long last, reached the pinnacle of college basketball.

N HOG

I'm for it all the way -- the ONLY coach in the history of the University of Arkansas to win an UNDISPUTED NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in a major sport.

Pigskin_Porker

Obviously it would take JFB being gone, but I think NR earned such a recognition with his winning teams and of course the 1994 NC. No apology necessary. . .
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

TomasPistola

I think we should build a statue of him out front....or we could just name the court after him.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

HawgWyld

Quote from: TomasPistola on January 30, 2007, 12:26:58 am
I think we should build a statue of him out front...
I could see it now. A huge statue of Nolan Richardson flipping his middle finger directly at the Broyles Center. Someone ought to start a fund...

Pigskin_Porker

Quote from: HawgWyld on January 30, 2007, 12:22:42 am

He wouldn't need to apologize at all. Nolan, in his prime, managed to win an NCAA championship with the Razorbacks. That's worth some acknowledgment. Besides, it was absolutely pitiful the way the Athletic Department virtually ignored the 10-year anniversary of the season where Arkansas, at long last, reached the pinnacle of college basketball.

Ignoring the 10 year anniversary of the 1994 National Championship was a huge mistake and is shameful and I can't help but think that some good ole boys were behind it . . .

Maybe we could name the court after NR on the 15th anniversary???  But what would it really take from us as fans???
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

HawgWyld

Quote from: Pigskin_Porker on January 30, 2007, 12:31:17 am
Ignoring the 10 year anniversary of the 1994 National Championship was a huge mistake and is shameful and I can't help but think that some good ole boys were behind it . . .

Maybe we could name the court after NR on the 15th anniversary???  But what would it really take from us as fans???
If someone could convince Frank he could make a buck off of it somehow, that might do it.

spe450

Temprees

Quote from: HawgWyld on January 30, 2007, 12:22:42 am
Agreed.   I would support it 100%.

dhornjr1

I'm just waiting for the Nolan haters to get wind of this thread. Then, accusations of Nolan being a racist will be flying thick and fast.

arsuperhog

dhornjr1

Umkay

Im afraid if Frank was asked to name the court after Nolan, he would turn around and name the field after Houston.

NuttinItUp

ttownhog

Nolan is great, the greatest ever in fact for Arkansas, but I still remember the words that went something like this... "If they would just pay me my money i would leave now!"(on national T.V.)(And then HE sued US.) Now I am sure five people after me will correct my errors in that quote as I typed it from memory.
All that being said, I would not be against paying tribute to Nolan for what he did for our program, but some peace would have to be made mutually. We, as the University of Arkansas(fans, alumni, administration, students,) owe Nolan nothing besides the respect and support that we always gave him before he lost his mind. And although now he still seems to have ill regard towards the U of A,(meaning us) most of us still respect him. I guess I'm not ready to jump through hoops for him at the current time.

Mister_BS

lots of short memories on here. In his last five years before getting fired, his players didn't like him, many fans didn't like him and almost zero media members.

people forget how he shamelessly dogged Pargo -- the Hogs' best player -- in press conference after press conference, how he blamed the players for losses, and how he berated Arkansas' "redneck" fans.

short, short memories, people

the fired coach even turned on many of his best friends -- like Mike Nail -- because his arrogance ran amok.

if they build the fired coach a statue, it should be near the dog pen so the canines can piss on it like many of his former players would like to

it amazes me how a true Hog fan can now profess fondness for a coach who became a traitor to their program

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: spe450 on January 30, 2007, 12:34:04 am
Cue Mister_BS in 3.....2......1.......

timing was a little off but he showed up (above) I heard that Nolan was the winningest coach of the 90s! Not sure but I wouldn't doubt it. I loved him as a coach and I love Mike Anderson as a coach now. No statue but name the court.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Mister_BS

he was a traitor to the program, to the university and to his players. he doesn't deserve his name on the court that belongs to loyal Hog fans he labeled "rednecks" on more than one occasion

:razorback:

malzhanista

Oliverhogman

Hawgwyld,

Just think if someone could come up wth a shirt with the statue of Nolan flipping off the Broyles center.  They would be rich overnight.  Maybe some artist out there could put it in a painting.  I would order a couple of them.

For calling the fans redneck.  BIG FREAKING DEAL.  Is that the worse name you have ever been called?  I thought Nutt had thin skin.

Heck IF Nutt would win a NC I would even let him call me a "Dork".  But we saw this past year that will never happen.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: Oliverhogman on January 30, 2007, 05:46:21 am
Hawgwyld,

Just think if someone could come up wth a shirt with the statue of Nolan flipping off the Broyles center.  They would be rich overnight.  Maybe some artist out there could put it in a painting.  I would order a couple of them.

For calling the fans redneck.  BIG FREAKING DEAL.  Is that the worse name you have ever been called?  I thought Nutt had thin skin.

Heck IF Nutt would win a NC I would even let him call me a "Dork".  But we saw this past year that will never happen.

I have to agree. We do have some trashy redneck fans. I look around at the games and find myself wondering if some of those people sold their money for groceries, clothes, haircuts, and the dentist on football tickets. I am sometimes ashamed at some of the people that show up to games. I think to myself, God I hope they don't put him/her on TV. That's just what this state needs.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Oklahawg

I am 100 percent behind this idea. It will take Broyles being gone. It will likely take the new AD brokering a group apology--where both sides give a backwards, subtle "I'm sorry" and shake hands. The Foundation has a lot of egg on its face--much of it deserved--because Nolan went, well, Nolan. They will not be pleased unless there is some sort of agreement.

BTW, I don't think this happens soon, unfortunately. We are more likely to name a meeting room after Gus Malzahn than we are to honor "Nolan Richardson Court at Bud Walton Arena".

I'd support the "Yvonne Richardson Center for Basketball Operations".
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 30, 2007, 03:18:45 am
lots of short memories on here. In his last five years before getting fired, his players didn't like him, many fans didn't like him and almost zero media members.

people forget how he shamelessly dogged Pargo -- the Hogs' best player -- in press conference after press conference, how he blamed the players for losses, and how he berated Arkansas' "redneck" fans.

the fired coach even turned on many of his best friends -- like Mike Nail -- because his arrogance ran amok.

if they build the fired coach a statue, it should be near the dog pen so the canines can piss on it like many of his former players would like to

it amazes me how a true Hog fan can now profess fondness for a coach who became a traitor to their program

Agree

Too many short memories around here.............

HDale

NO!

He not only slammed the university, but he slammed us rednecks as well.
For what it's worth I would not support naming the court after Eddie either.

How about naming it after Gus?
I will always hate the Dork

cmakrzrbak

Absolutely.  I loved Nolan and think his firing was mishandled by mass proportions.  He should have been able to finish the season with those kids.  He may have taken a break on recruiting and gone a little on the edge, but he provided us with our first and only modern National Championship.  It is a shame his name is met with controversy instead of compassion.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

dirtydoghog

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 30, 2007, 03:18:45 am

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who remembers this.  It's amazing how quicky people claim to forget the facts in order to hate on someone else.

zwhogfan

I would support naming the court after him, he did a ton for the program when he was here, though it ended in an ugly manner it doesn't change that fact.

Pastor_Hog

Yes...I would support Nolan's name as the name of our court.  He is one of the best coaches in NCAA history.  Unfortunately there were press conferences.
Watch the Hogs on Saturday and worship Jesus on Sunday.

Bomis Hawg

Nolan Court at Bud Walton Arena would be a step in helping clear his legacy.  A guy, like Nolan, who did so many great things as a head coach need to make amends to things just for the sake of college basketball. 

A new AD could come in, extend the olive branch and appologize on behalf of the University.  Maybe that would help spark things.  It's hard to have reunions or things on the 90, 94, and 95 teams without Nolan.

Great idea.

hogman64

Are you people posting about Naming the  court after Nolan in pre-school or just have memory problems..........I wouldnt be for naming the Fayetteville junk yard after Nolan.......just because everyone is down on Frank now  all of sudden we need to start loving the guy that tried to bring down the u of A thru a malicious , egotistical, frivolous lawsuit........I havent forgotten his BULL CRAP and I never will.......

razorbackntexas

Quote from: losthawg68 on June 03, 2010, 02:26:15 am
This dude has some superhot friends and his girl is also in the upper echelon of scenery.

Houston h

I think a lot of people would love that!  Nolan did more for the U of A than anybody ever has from an athletic standpoint.  I was in school when we made our run in 93, 94, 95 and you couldn't get tickets, I miss those days.  U of A and Kentucky on Super Bowl Sunday!
Frank will never approve!

MartHog

I vote No.

He should apologize to the Razorback fans, then maybe.  Regardless, nothing should be done while he is alive.  Posthumous only.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

TEXAS=Orange.  Tennessee=Orange.  TEXAS=Tennessee.  And I wouldn't root for TEXAS if they were playing the fricking Taliban.  So I guess that means I wouldn't root for the Vols either.  Or the fricking Rebels.  Hell, I hate 'em all.

rasorback4life

Absolutely!!!   In fact can we bring him back as coach first.  I know that he said some crazy things, but it wasn't really directed at us, it was at Frank and the PTB.  He had to fight Frank with everything he had the years he was here, and I think that he just gave up.
Mediocrity Rules!!!

Houston h

You guys are cold!  Nolan had every right to be bitter and resentful given the way he was treated by the Arkansas media and JFB.  I met Nolan as a student and ended up buying a home close to his ranch.  My son rode horses there and helped feed all his animals for years, Nolan treated him like family.  He is a good man!  You wouldn't believe the things he was put through that never surfaced.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: N HOG on January 30, 2007, 12:26:05 am
I'm for it all the way -- the ONLY coach in the history of the University of Arkansas to win an UNDISPUTED NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in a major sport.

other than track 40 times

Sanctified Swine

toooooo devisive -- Nolan is not in good standing with U of A - so the answer is NO

fourthcrusade

I LOVED IT WHEN NOLAN CALLED ME A

REDNECK SOB !

AND   A   T#$@ FAN!

An old hog fanatic

I won't support anything with Nolan's name attached at the U of A.  I'm glad the guy is gone!!
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Houston hater on January 30, 2007, 08:43:52 am
You guys are cold!  Nolan had every right to be bitter and resentful given the way he was treated by the Arkansas media and JFB.  I met Nolan as a student and ended up buying a home close to his ranch.  My son rode horses there and helped feed all his animals for years, Nolan treated him like family.  He is a good man!  You wouldn't believe the things he was put through that never surfaced.

is that why he called us fans redneck sob fans and turds

ProfusionalHog

Houston h

Quote from: Houston hater on Today at 08:43:52 AM

is that why he called us fans redneck sob fans and turds

If the shoe fits?
Half of Arkansas is redneck sob's and turds!

SuperHog

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 30, 2007, 03:29:24 am
he was a traitor to the program, to the university and to his players. he doesn't deserve his name on the court that belongs to loyal Hog fans he labeled "rednecks" on more than one occasion

:razorback:

so what's worse?  Nutt thinking and acting like we are all clueless and stupid or Nolan just going along with the national perception of Arkansans?

"Hello again everybody, Mike Nail and Rick Schaeffer here courtside at Nolan Richardson Court @ Bud Walton Arena on the campus of the University of Arkansas"
pretty nice ring to it, IMO.  But what do I know, my opinion doesn't count because I don't give millions of $$$ to the university on a yearly basis.
Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.