Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball Big Man recruiting

Started by hogfankb, September 26, 2007, 02:18:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfankb

Looking through all of these recruiting threads I notice one glarrying issue. We aren't recruiting anyone over 6'9". I know we are going to a more uptempo style which doesn't usually suit big guys but I am beginning to worry that we are another Tennessee in the making (I for one don't think that is a great thing). 

Tennessee is a very good team no doubt about it. But I don't think they will ever win a NC. I think you have to be somewhat balanced to do this. Much like Nolan's teams we didn't win the big one until we had a dominant post player. I know they have a couple of solid bigs in Chism and Childress but are they good enough scorers to carry them when the jump shots aren't falling.

A couple of questions.

Do you think you can compete at the highest level possible without a dominant big man?
Do you think 6'9" bigs can play solid enough D on SEC level post players to keep from getting us dominated on the defense and on the glass?

razorhead94

Quote from: hogfankb on September 26, 2007, 02:18:33 pm
Looking through all of these recruiting threads I notice one glarrying issue. We aren't recruiting anyone over 6'9". I know we are going to a more uptempo style which doesn't usually suit big guys but I am beginning to worry that we are another Tennessee in the making (I for one don't think that is a great thing). 

Tennessee is a very good team no doubt about it. But I don't think they will ever win a NC. I think you have to be somewhat balanced to do this. Much like Nolan's teams we didn't win the big one until we had a dominant post player. I know they have a couple of solid bigs in Chism and Childress but are they good enough scorers to carry them when the jump shots aren't falling.

A couple of questions.

Do you think you can compete at the highest level possible without a dominant big man?
Do you think 6'9" bigs can play solid enough D on SEC level post players to keep from getting us dominated on the defense and on the glass?

Well, Simpson who visited this past weeked is 6'10".  Terrance Henry who is coming to visit this weekend if 6'9".  I think pelphrey will look for a lot of size in his 09' class.  Derek Favors is 6'9" 220. And they also are going to have an unofficial visit from Daniel Orton 6'9" 273.  If that is not big I don't know what is.  We may not be recruiting the steven hill's anymore, but i think this type of tempo will fit these big men well.  Dont' forget also that corliss was only 6'8" when he came through.
Yes, we will have to have size to compete for championships, but I believe pelphrey knows the guys he wants.
Go hogs!
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

aaron_c

Can anyone find some size stats on his past teams?  That will likely show how this class will look as far as size goes.