Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rivals released Juco ratings for 2008

Started by japhog, September 11, 2007, 03:28:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

japhog

Rivals released thier top 50 juco's today.  The hogs are listed on several of them...  does anyone have any info on the interest level of:
Larry Ford
Maurice Gray
David Bedford
Melvin Williams
J.R. Bryant

all of which are rated 4*.....

Tomhog™

Personally, I'd stay away from the JUCOs at this point.  Arkansas doesn't really need them at any position and they flop much more often than a high school player.  Hewitt has been the only recent JUCO that's amounted to much.

japhog

September 11, 2007, 03:42:45 pm #2 Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 03:45:18 pm by japhog
i agree that they normally don't work out for us, but they normally aren't as highly regarded as the ones i have mentioned.  personally i would not mind taking a chance on some of the DB's and DL's, they would at least help with depth, especially if any of them have 3 years of eligibility left... 

jb11

I remember reading where Bedford and another JUCO that is interested in us were aiming at graduating in Dec.  That would be a bonus and would give them a spring to practice and learn the defense.  Bedford, I believe is high on the Hogs.

ntubjr

Gray is from Shibests old scfool and we need CBs

1longshot

not juco cb's if greg brown or kip edwards are still possibilities

1longshot

and if my connection is correct the d-line wouldn't be better off to sign a juco

The Coletrain

Quote from: diehardfan on September 11, 2007, 03:53:04 pm
I remember reading where Bedford and another JUCO that is interested in us were aiming at graduating in Dec.  That would be a bonus and would give them a spring to practice and learn the defense.  Bedford, I believe is high on the Hogs.

The nice thing about Bedford is that he could be a midterm grad and will also have three years to play three.  In that scenario, I think he would be a great addition.  And if you need further proof of his ability, look at the list currently pursuing him.  I'm always a little leary about juco kids, but if he's eligible in December then we have little to worry about.  Particularly since he'll count toward last year's class. 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

Hawgballz

Quote from: The Coletrain on September 11, 2007, 09:12:33 pm

The nice thing about Bedford is that he could be a midterm grad and will also have three years to play three.  In that scenario, I think he would be a great addition.  And if you need further proof of his ability, look at the list currently pursuing him.  I'm always a little leary about juco kids, but if he's eligible in December then we have little to worry about.  Particularly since he'll count toward last year's class. 

Coletrain, I agree with everything you said, however we are only going to be able to count 1 recruit back to last year (enrolled 24 this fall) and it is my understanding that Kale Pick is on pace to graduate in December & enroll in January so any other early recruits for us would still count toward this year's 25 man limit.  We have had so much success in recruiting this year that I wish we could get 3 or 4 early enrollees to count back.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

1longshot

what about the two running backs and the dt that didn't qualify don't those spots still remain open from last years class

Hawgballz

Quote from: 1longshot on September 11, 2007, 10:51:33 pm
what about the two running backs and the dt that didn't qualify don't those spots still remain open from last years class

We recruited and got 27 commits, but you can only sign & enroll 25 in a year so had all of our recruits qualified only 25 could have been on scholarship their first year.  since we only had 24 qualify and enroll, we have 1 slot still open for the 2007 class.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Tomhog™

I didn't think we even had one schollie free for a Dec. Juco.  I was trying to do the math in my head, and that is a dangerous thing.  Even for an engineer! LOL  Only way I'd want a JUCO is if it would count against 07 class...

The Coletrain

Quote from: Hawgballz on September 11, 2007, 10:24:55 pm
Quote from: The Coletrain on September 11, 2007, 09:12:33 pm

Coletrain, I agree with everything you said, however we are only going to be able to count 1 recruit back to last year (enrolled 24 this fall) and it is my understanding that Kale Pick is on pace to graduate in December & enroll in January so any other early recruits for us would still count toward this year's 25 man limit.  We have had so much success in recruiting this year that I wish we could get 3 or 4 early enrollees to count back.

Good call, brother.  I had forgot we only had one spot left in the '06 class.  But if Pick can make it in December and we get Bedford to do the same, I won't complain. 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

jhudson84

J.R. Bryant (Garden City) Amazing linebacker just what we need to replace Dacus.  Great field vision, freshman all-american.  Very interested in the Hogs.

Adam Stokes

The rankings in the JUCO top 50 for these guys...

Larry Ford         - #9 Juco, RR of 5.9
Maurice Gray     - #16 Juco, RR of 5.9
David Bedford    - #21 Juco, RR of 5.8
Melvin Williams   - #30 Juco, RR of 5.8
J.R. Bryant        - #33 Juco, RR of 5.8

I'm not sure where most of these guys were coming out of high school, but all these guys but Gray are from Kansas Juco's.  I really like how our team has recruited Kansas in the lack of KSU's usual standards.

501Ben

I think Bedford is the one the hogs really want. He is a d-end, and I think he record like 3 sacks in his last game.

TN_Realist

The last rivals article had Bedford, Bedfords coach and family saying he is close to committing.

Hogstocking

September 14, 2007, 09:45:50 am #17 Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 09:49:03 am by Hogstocking
Bedford is a stud. 

Not to shabby in his last game:  10 tackles, 1 sack, 2 tackles for loss, 6 QB hurries and had a fumble recovery. On the fumble recovery Bedford took it 35 or 40 yards and scored but the TD was called back because of penalty (block in the back)

doesntmatter

It'd be nice to get a kid like Mark Chesnut from NEO.  He's a pre-season All-American as an OG.  The kid is extremely good technically, and keeps getting bigger (close to three bills now).  Not to mention, the kid is incredibly smart and has a heck of a mean streak too. 

jackflash

think we will take three DE bedford, stephens LB bryant

mrcrowley

Quote from: doesntmatter on September 23, 2007, 02:01:45 am
It'd be nice to get a kid like Mark Chesnut from NEO.  He's a pre-season All-American as an OG.  The kid is extremely good technically, and keeps getting bigger (close to three bills now).  Not to mention, the kid is incredibly smart and has a heck of a mean streak too. 
then why is he a juco?