Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With a week or more in our new conditioning program

Started by nwahogfan1, February 04, 2018, 04:03:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

does anyone have any news as to what has changed?   I am assuming more stretching, running and agility type drills and less heavy weights but just a guess.     How is the Yoga going? 

Should we expect a lot of players to lose weight? 

I guess there will be 6 weeks of S & C before spring practice?

TebowHater

There were some videos posted on one of the Twitter accounts... They seem to be making it extremely competition based, functional training. They drafted teams and looks like will be competing all off season.

Inhogswetrust

They've learned not to leave a towel in their locker.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jgphillips3

I've heard that Cole has already dropped 20 pounds.  Overall, I would expect player weights to come down.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 04, 2018, 04:03:55 pm
does anyone have any news as to what has changed?   I am assuming more stretching, running and agility type drills and less heavy weights but just a guess.     How is the Yoga going? 

Should we expect a lot of players to lose weight? 

I guess there will be 6 weeks of S & C before spring practice?
You'd be right making this assumption. Were going to a play style that is more focused on a players athleticism than just pure strength. The guys on campus preparing for the draft are also doing the same type of workouts. Gone are the days where a players primary focus is their strength and size. Most of the coaches with backgrounds in that style of play of adapted and those that haven't are on the sideline playing catchup (Bielema)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 05, 2018, 09:07:47 am
You'd be right making this assumption. Were going to a play style that is more focused on a players athleticism than just pure strength. The guys on campus preparing for the draft are also doing the same type of workouts. Gone are the days where a players primary focus is their strength and size. Most of the coaches with backgrounds in that style of play of adapted and those that haven't are on the sideline playing catchup (Bielema)

I don't think we were a big strong football team under BB. You can compare our players to other teams players and see we are NOT a thick strong team.

liljo

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 05, 2018, 08:16:35 pm
I don't think we were a big strong football team under BB. You can compare our players to other teams players and see we are NOT a thick strong team.
Given the performance of the offensive and defensive lines the past couple of seasons I tend to think you're correct. However it may be the case that we had the strongest guys on the field. But when fast guys are running around your strong guys, the fact that your guys are strong may fly under the radar. In any case, seems like our strongest guys were always sidelined with a foot injury...
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

hogman64

Yosemite Ham

Elmer Fudds a [CENSORED]

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

hogmolar

Patton posted something like back in the 250's need to lose 10 more.  Seems they are focusing on agility and being faster.  "You provide the want to we provide the how to."   

AugustaHog

I think that was the goal, but it never came to fruition.  We could not match up strength wise with a number of our opponents AND we weren't as fast as them.  I don't know if it was Herbert or the vision that CBB set out for what he wanted from him, but it lead to slow and weak (at least relative to competition).  I'd rather be faster and more technical than slow and clumsy.  I think that should be CCM's and Coach Tru's goals for turning this thing around.  Obviously you can't roll out 270 lb OL and get it done, but you can lean em up a tad and make sure they are fundamentally sound.  Those fundamentals will help to maximize the muscle they add in the weight room.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Maybe not, but its definitely what they were aiming for. Remember the videos of linemen squatting 700+ pounds? During the offseason all we heard about was trying to put more weight on players and "getting them in the weight room"
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

arthurhawgerelli

February 06, 2018, 10:51:23 am #20 Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:47:53 pm by arthurhawgerelli
From somebody who has been at every early morning workout:  Completely different atmosphere.  Coach Herb was buddy, buddy.  Coach Tru has made it clear he is there to change their lives.  They still listen to music in weight room, but no music or rap filled with curse words or disrespectful themes.  Lots of emphasis on power lifts; the previous regime did zero power lifts. 

Oh yeah, the players are just a little bit afraid of Coach Tru.  LOL. 

Edit: I should have said the previous regime did no explosive lifts instead of no power lifts. I apologize.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on February 06, 2018, 10:51:23 am
From somebody who has been at every early morning workout:  Completely different atmosphere.  Coach Herb was buddy, buddy.  Coach Tru has made it clear he is there to change their lives.  They still listen to music in weight room, but no music or rap filled with curse words or disrespectful themes.  Lots of emphasis on power lifts; the previous regime did zero power lifts. 

That's very interesting and telling, yet not surprising in the least

hawg1221

Thanks.  That's good information.

311Hog

damn i love that.  You give the want to we will give the how to. That is brilliant. 

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Lots of emphasis on power lifts; the previous regime did zero power lifts.

What do you mean by "power lifts"?  I think bench, squat, and dead as the power lifts. I'm pretty sure they did those lifts in the CBB era; so I assume you mean something else.

EFBAB

TechHog

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on February 06, 2018, 12:22:05 pm
What do you mean by "power lifts"?  I think bench, squat, and dead as the power lifts. I'm pretty sure they did those lifts in the CBB era; so I assume you mean something else.

EFBAB

Look at Tretola's and Kirkland's bench numbers from the combine.  Neither got 20 reps.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: TechHog on February 06, 2018, 12:23:52 pm
Look at Tretola's and Kirkland's bench numbers from the combine.  Neither got 20 reps.

So you're saying "zero power lifts" was an exaggeration for emphasis?

As I recall the beasts coming out night was pretty much all squats.

EFBAB

jkstock04

Quote from: TechHog on February 06, 2018, 12:23:52 pm
I remember hearing a rumor that the team didn't really work on bench press under Bielema/Herbert.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

FineAsSwine

They still listen to music in weight room, but no music or rap filled with curse words or disrespectful themes.

So it was the curse words in that rap music that made our defense like a sieve and our offense sluggish. Maybe they should listen to gospel music. If that helps them win the West, I'm all for it. But honestly, I don't put much stock into the impact of a strength and conditioning coach. They all use similar techniques to create a mood and to motivate guys to push themselves. It's happening all across the SEC, not just at Arkansas.

Hogs up! Covid down!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on February 06, 2018, 12:22:05 pm

EFBAB
Not to sound like one of "those" posters, but Coach Tru has said he won't reveal what all he does, and my guy won't either, but Herb did not do power clean in any form (no hang cleans or full power cleans). No dead lifts, no bench press.  I guess some refer to squat as a power lift, so 'zero' is inaccurate on my part.

The word is Coach Morris and staff thought they were being given false information when they were told what Coach Herbert's workouts were.

I just realized I'm getting older. I should have said "explosive" lifts, not "power." I do apologize.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on February 06, 2018, 12:29:40 pm
So you're saying "zero power lifts" was an exaggeration for emphasis?

As I recall the beasts coming out night was pretty much all squats.

EFBAB

I meant to say explosive. I apologize.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 05, 2018, 08:42:43 pm
Given the performance of the offensive and defensive lines the past couple of seasons I tend to think you're correct. However it may be the case that we had the strongest guys on the field. But when fast guys are running around your strong guys, the fact that your guys are strong may fly under the radar. In any case, seems like our strongest guys were always sidelined with a foot injury...

To win in this league you need to be stronger and quicker/faster than the man in front of you.  One without the other is useless since the opponent is not arm wrestling with you but trying to get to a spot before you do.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on February 06, 2018, 03:43:44 pm
I meant to say explosive. I apologize.

THAT makes more sense. And I wasn't trying to be a dick; I just wanted to know what you meant by power lift.

EFBAB

hawgfan4life

If they did not do cleans and Deadlifts, it is no wonder we lacked expansion.  Parallel squats, power clean, and dead lift are core essential lifts to any legitimate program imo.

Simply amazing they didn't do those.

elksnort

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 06, 2018, 11:08:23 am
That's very interesting and telling, yet not surprising in the least
Well, you might want to read his edited version. Because what he first typed would not make sense.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 06, 2018, 04:54:38 pm
If they did not do cleans and Deadlifts, it is no wonder we lacked expansion.  Parallel squats, power clean, and dead lift are core essential lifts to any legitimate program imo.

Most 8th grade conditioning programs do that. Lol. I hated power cleans. Probably explains why our OL can't bend and are rigid.

MuskogeeHogFan

I'd like to see more focus on quickness, explosiveness and better technique in run blocking and better agility (quick feet) and technique in pass blocking for the O-Line. You still have to have upper body strength but the lower body is going to provide most of that which I mention above. And for heavens sake, re-teach and emphasize the advantage of and need for maintaining vertical leverage on your opponent. A smaller, quicker O-Lineman can gain leverage and open holes against a bigger opponent for the split seconds it takes for a RB to get through a hole. Of course you have to be conditioned to such a level that you can last more than an entire game to maintain that pace and the physical beating that you take, but it sounds as if that is what this group is being conditioned to do.
Go Hogs Go!

RockyMtnHog

These players are being conditioned for a full 60 minute full throttle game.  They have not had a single game in 5 years that they will play this season.  They'll smoke them tires from the first possession to the end.

There will be games that Arkansas will blow the doors off the opponent.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

HogFoo

They are now being conditioned to last the entire game.  wouldn't surprise me at all if our entire OL is around 280ish.  We gonna be going full tilt boogie baby.  The cleans build explosiveness.  quickness.  That's what will be working on the most.  We'll be trying to wear out the bigger slower defenses that we'll be facing.  Instead of US looking like we are running in mud at every aspect of the team, itll be looking like the other teams are.  We'll be looking like a sleek race car!  I am sure we'll keep the bigger RBs though to chew clock at end of games where we have  leads, kind of like what ole bobby tried to do.  And was able to do with Knile(s) Davis.  ;-)   it'll be some fun football, that's for sure.  very exciting!  I look forward to it again!  Go Hogs!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

SooieGeneris

Edit: I should have said the previous regime did no explosive lifts instead of no power lifts. I apologize.

The first bolded statement is unbelievable. No wonder we always looked slower than SEC opponents. I knew the players weren't slow when recruited..

As for the 2nd bold statement, I like that. After the previous regime of coddling and PB&J nappy time, we now have a "bad cop" to act as an enforcer as long as he's not too old school like Herman Boone from Remember the Titans, which I'm sure he's not.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

zebradynasty

Quote from: HogFoo on February 06, 2018, 09:28:05 pm
They are now being conditioned to last the entire game.  wouldn't surprise me at all if our entire OL is around 280ish.  We gonna be going full tilt boogie baby.  The cleans build explosiveness.  quickness.  That's what will be working on the most.  We'll be trying to wear out the bigger slower defenses that we'll be facing.  Instead of US looking like we are running in mud at every aspect of the team, itll be looking like the other teams are.  We'll be looking like a sleek race car!  I am sure we'll keep the bigger RBs though to chew clock at end of games where we have  leads, kind of like what ole bobby tried to do.  And was able to do with Knile(s) Davis.  ;-)   it'll be some fun football, that's for sure.  very exciting!  I look forward to it again!  Go Hogs!

Definitely need to improve speed and lose some weight but 280 along the OL in the SEC will not beat Bama, LSU or Auburn!

southarkhog06

Did we really not focus on deadlift in the CBB era???

If this is true it explains a lot, deadlift is the single best exercise for an athlete. Why a modern S&C program wouldn't make that a core part of their workouts escapes me...

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 06, 2018, 04:54:38 pm

Deadlift:

We also did plenty of squats.  I guess none of ya'll remember the videos.

Power cleans are something I never saw..... which would explain the lack of explosiveness.  You know if we were doing cleans we would have seen a video of Bijhon.  Bijhon in high school:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

southarkhog06

Quote from: factchecker on February 07, 2018, 03:16:12 am

Fair enough, I thought it sounded odd that we wouldn't do them. Dou you have any info about how much of a focus was placed on deadlift versus other lifts?

factchecker

Quote from: southarkhog06 on February 07, 2018, 04:10:35 am
Fair enough, I thought it sounded odd that we wouldn't do them. Dou you have any info about how much of a focus was placed on deadlift versus other lifts?

No clue.

I've never understood why they don't release their programming online.

You don't gain any competitive advantage by being secretive about your weight program.

If anything, you might provide a blueprint for local high schools to follow.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

I'll add this small tidbit.

All of the videos I've found of us deadlifting are with the hex/trap bars.  I prefer traditional dead-lift (with a mixed grip) over using trap bars but I've never done research to which is actually better at developing functional strength in relation to football.

I think trap bars are used for safety and because some athletes are taller and use the elevated handles.

Either way. Deadlift is a great lift.  It really generates a ton of power.  BUT I think power clean is the best at developing explosive power.  The only downside is safety and technique.

I look forward to what Coach Tru can do with our team.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

zebradynasty

GOOD JOB FACTCHECKER! I new that just didn't sound right but because we got whipped so easily along the lines (and everywhere else) I actually thought it was possible we didn't deadlift!

supersaint

Quote from: factchecker on February 07, 2018, 07:09:44 am
I'll add this small tidbit.

All of the videos I've found of us deadlifting are with the hex/trap bars.  I prefer traditional dead-lift (with a mixed grip) over using trap bars but I've never done research to which is actually better at developing functional strength in relation to football.

I think trap bars are used for safety and because some athletes are taller and use the elevated handles.

Either way. Deadlift is a great lift.  It really generates a ton of power.  BUT I think power clean is the best at developing explosive power.  The only downside is safety and technique.

I look forward to what Coach Tru can do with our team.

Correct on the reasons for using the trap bars.  Side note: an argument over dead lifts between Danny Ford and coach Stuckey was a big part of the reason why we lost Stuckey to TN.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.