Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Food For Thought

Started by Oklahawg, January 20, 2008, 03:10:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Before Saban agreed to go to Bama there was speculation that Nutt would be the fallback plan for Mal Moore (Bama's AD). I wrote a piece for the main board entitled, in effect, "Watch What You Wish For."

That makes sense here on the recruiting board as we watch Nutt go after his UA recruits hard, with some success.

Nutt gets to completely start over at OM. He gets to carry with him any positive baggage he can carry, but gets to  let go of most of the negative baggage. Its true with any coach going to any new position.

Nutt can undo any mistakes that he made at UA and learn from those mistakes. We suspect he's not capable of learning from mistakes, and most continue to label Nutt based on his UA experience.

There is a decent chance that he can parlay his move to OM into a good recruiting class. He is likely going to make Petrino earn his money this season.

He has made a distinct choice to pursue his OLD, former recruits vs. maintaining pursuit of Orgeron's recruits. He is doing well with that.

I'll never root for Nutt, or OM, as I've never rooted for OM to begin with. Nutt is certainly giving me reason to root against him as he's enjoying success that shouldn't surprise us.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Razorvet

Im suprised. Did you see what he was able to do with Arkansas recruits last season? Hes on track to do as well this season.

schmeck

Oklahawg.... why do you fret? Do you not remember recent history? Houston is a decent recruiter, but a horible judge of talent.  He may snag the occassional stud, but he can't recruit every 4* and 5* recruit to Ole Miss.  Maybe one or two a year like at the UofA.  After that, his other recruits will be overrated and will underachieve.  He will call them a difference maker on the local radio shows after signing day, and they may eventually make the field during their senior year. I'm not scared a bit.  This year may end up hurting a little bit and our record may not be what we would like, but Houston will never out recruit BP. He is smart in trying to get the guys who were committed to him before he left, but we've lost what? a 2* OL and a 3* LB? No big deal my friend.
Deny everything and make counter-accusations.

saywhat?

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 20, 2008, 03:10:13 pm
Before Saban agreed to go to Bama there was speculation that Nutt would be the fallback plan for Mal Moore (Bama's AD). I wrote a piece for the main board entitled, in effect, "Watch What You Wish For."

That makes sense here on the recruiting board as we watch Nutt go after his UA recruits hard, with some success.

Nutt gets to completely start over at OM. He gets to carry with him any positive baggage he can carry, but gets to  let go of most of the negative baggage. Its true with any coach going to any new position.

Nutt can undo any mistakes that he made at UA and learn from those mistakes. We suspect he's not capable of learning from mistakes, and most continue to label Nutt based on his UA experience.

There is a decent chance that he can parlay his move to OM into a good recruiting class. He is likely going to make Petrino earn his money this season.

He has made a distinct choice to pursue his OLD, former recruits vs. maintaining pursuit of Orgeron's recruits. He is doing well with that.

I'll never root for Nutt, or OM, as I've never rooted for OM to begin with. Nutt is certainly giving me reason to root against him as he's enjoying success that shouldn't surprise us.

There may have been speculation created by Jimmy Sexton, but I can guarantee you Bama fans would have rioted before they let that man step in as Head Coach of Alabama.  I spent eight years in Tuscaloosa and have plenty of first hand knowledge on what Bama fans think of Nutt. 

Sao Ming

Good thoughts OH.

I've been curious the last couple of days to see how he reacts to this "competition" and to see just how massive his paradigm shift will be re: recruiting. 

Oklahawg

First, I could care less about who is coaching at a program light years behind ours.

Second, I am responding to the daily post concerning a UA "commit" defecting for Nutt.

Third, I am also responding to folks who over-reacted about Nutt's stay at UA. He WAS able to lure the occasional stud recruit to UA that no one saw coming. He was able to coach up teams against tall odds. He is not the incompetent buffoon he is made out to be. Not all the time (just occasionally!).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Sao Ming

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 20, 2008, 04:46:42 pm
First, I could care less about who is coaching at a program light years behind ours.

Second, I am responding to the daily post concerning a UA "commit" defecting for Nutt.

Third, I am also responding to folks who over-reacted about Nutt's stay at UA. He WAS able to lure the occasional stud recruit to UA that no one saw coming. He was able to coach up teams against tall odds. He is not the incompetent buffoon he is made out to be. Not all the time (just occasionally!).

Fourth (if I may), he's at a Univ. that in some respects recruits itself, much in the same way The U of A has to. 

Again, good thoughts.

Hog Waller

Hey Nutt wasn't all that bad for the program.  I haven't (unfortunately) lived in AR for many years.  Since Nutt was the coach I have been able to watch more Razorback games on national TV than I have in the past...think of the past coaches since Hatfield, we were a definite after thought in college football.  Nutt wasn't a bad coach, just limited in his capabilities and not someone to accept change...change is the key to adapting to the situation.  While I thought Nutt did an ok job, I am very excited for the future with Coach Petrino as I think the can take us to the next level.