Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Comparison of two recruiting strategies

Started by JIHawg, January 19, 2008, 10:55:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

This weekend, Ole Ms entertains 25 visitors.  Arkansas has 11.  One might ask what is up with this?  We do have 18 next weekend, and the final weekend is not set yet.

Which strategy will be more effective?  Ole Ms has a five star back from Memphis who decommitted from Auburn in this group of 25, a real difference maker.  They have a good shot at him.  There are several in the 25 that they have very little shot at.

Arkansas has Dean and Joe, two difference makers.  The other nine are likely signees.  The other nine will work on the two we want to turn.

What is the better strategy?  Some would say it's a numbers game, invite as many as you can.  I like the fact that our coaches and academic types are not spread out over 25 players and their families.  With only 11 visitors, this is a very manageable group, and the key recruiters can really concentrate on the two difference makers.  Contrastly, the Ole Ms coaches are spread out over 25 players.  The difference maker will be among several visitors who don't plan to come to Ole Ms.  They will not be recruiting him with the coaches.

I like our plan better.

tophawg19

i tend to agree . lock up what you have this weekend then make a strong push to find the other 6 or7 you need to fill out this class. let the kids already locked in work on the ones we are trying to get . dean , adams etc.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hog_fan

We need to lock in our current committs this weekend and make them solid committs.

tophawg19

25 kids tends to spread your coaches too thin . the exception  being if most of the kids were just brought in to help with recruiting others. parents want to meet and  get to know coaches and staff and there is no way you get around to 25 players and parents.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

dougieritch

There needs to be no comparison, Petrino has already proved he's light years away in recruiting compared to Nutty...in the next few years Nutty will only get the crumbs we leave for him.

Oklahawg

I don't know how much can be read into this, long-term. I think its fair to say that Petrino is using this weekend to lock down the commits and extend the family to 2 very high-profile guys on the wishlist.

The 25-recruit weekend may just be Nutt wanting to take advantage of on-campus activities like he did at UA, and he is running out of weekends.

Why waste visits if you aren't going to need them? If Petrino can get his recruiting class filled using 30 visits so be it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

OKhogfan1959

You can bet they will find plenty of time to spend with the big dogs. No matter how many are on that trip they know who the difference makers are.
Having gone through the process twice I can tell you smaller is better. I know when we went on trips it was always just us and maybe one other player. Basketball is different though. If you are recruiting a friend of a player you invite them on the same weekend. But if you are a priority you will know it!!!

Petrino's way is how I would do the visits.

online-with-swine

It would be nice if we could carry over some of those visits to next year.  That way all the 5 and some of the 4 star recruits in the country could get a chance to visit the campus.

SquidBilly

I think Petrino's plan is wise because he will have plenty of visits left on Feb. 1 to use if we don't get some of the players we're targeting or if someone decommits in the next week or so.  I hope he won't need to use them but they are good for him to have in his back pocket.

SpareRib

What seems apparent to me is that often Nutt recruited like he often coached - he coached not to lose.  Many 4 and 5 star recruits slipped by him because he didn't aggressively pursue them.  He didn't seem to want to compete for the top talent.

Petrino is not bashful about going after the best.  Other schools are noticing that he is getting in their nickers (re: the Tennessee article posted elsewhere on the board).  That's good PR for us.  My money says he coaches that way this fall.

I don't think Coach Petrino subscribes to the "poor lil Arkansas" theory.  It's a very welcome new day.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Tusks

Come on hooten recruits like he calls plays.....throw everything at the wall and see if anything sticks.....always look for the low hanging fruit. 

He might make a splash this year and for the life of me I don't understand why but hooten is and will always be hooten.  It's not like the monkeys with whistles will wake up one morning and understand how to recruit with the best or coach or call plays.....they will always be inept.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

invisiblehand

i entirely agree with the last couple posts.  too often it seemed like nutt was scared to go after big named guys, or if a player committed somewhere else, he would say he only wanted someone who wanted to be a hog and give up.  petrino goes after who he wants, and who will be best suited to help us compete and win.  players can sense that kind of confidence, and that could very well be why nutt hardly ever won recruiting battles with the 'more elite' schools in the region.  bottom line is that petrino is not recruiting for moral victories, he is recruiting for victories. 

razorbackinblood

I think it is a great idea to use the 6 or 7 really commited recruits to help turn the 2 that seen the light yet.  But recruits in great numbers might land a few but turning 2 known playmakers is better in my book.

Calling All Hogs

Actually Petrino has had great success using good to average talent. That tells me he does his job as a coach and develops players. If I was a recruit I would take note of that and go where there is a track record of development. Especially if I have the NFL as a goal.

coolhog

Id want my recruits last visit, so I could give them the last impression.
I d also have Jerry Jones, Jemaine Taylor, and Dmac hang around just
to impresss the boys.

VenturaHog

Quote from: CallMeHog on January 19, 2008, 05:09:10 pm
Actually Petrino has had great success using good to average talent. That tells me he does his job as a coach and develops players. If I was a recruit I would take note of that and go where there is a track record of development. Especially if I have the NFL as a goal.

+1 for the sig, very good I laughed pretty hard.