Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The snub ...not off to a good start

Started by longhornation, January 18, 2008, 11:13:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

He played us against other school and got burned! Boo Hoo He got what he deserved!  He wants to be a NUTTBROTHER!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

beansandtaters

Quote from: longhornation on January 18, 2008, 11:13:54 am
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hssports/football/stories/MYSA011708_Thomas.en.2cdbccb0.html

well...when a "committed" player is doing interviews saying that Ole Miss has better facilities than AR and planning official visits all over the country, he shouldn't get the royal treatment. Fact is, he was flirting with going elsewhere, Dennis Johnson, an AR RB of his same caliber wanted to be a Razorback, so Petrino took the guy who he knew wanted to be here. I wish Devin all the luck, but a commitment has to be a two way street. Props to Petrino on a smart move.

tulsadst

I think Petrino is doing just fine on the recruiting trail.  We can do just fine without this recruit - let him follow Nutt to Ole Miss.

bison77

Old news.  Perhaps he doesn't fit BP's mold.  Obviously if he was what BP wanted then BP would have visited.  I have WAY more confidence in BP's recruting than HDN's.

Petrino envisions greater things for UA than did HDN.  BP is recruiting PA, OH, IN, all of the southeast as well as the old haunts (TX, OK, etc).  All HDN ever did was recruit enough to consistently win 7-8 games (and those 7-8 usually included 4 OOC patsies) in order to keep his job.  BP has much higher aspirations than that.

COCHISE

I would like to know if Devin's injury was a concern for BP, he missed half the season plus the AA game.  A running back with a bum ankle may have been a big turnoff for Petrino.

Dropkick

Devin played the game. Petrino ain't playin'.

txkrazorback

broken ankle...in college likely to cause real problems...
The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

Winner

yeah, petrino's off to an awful start.  since he's been here we got the number 2 quarterback in the nation from last year and a four star quarterback this year.  terrible. 

Table Rocker

thanks for visiting an ARKANSAS RAZORBACK message board.

RazorAg

January 18, 2008, 11:57:56 am #10 Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 11:59:28 am by RazorAg
Quote from: Dropkick on January 18, 2008, 11:31:54 am

Others have played the game, too, including Lavunce and Jarius, and Matt Hall will, too.  I'm not against Petrino pulling the offer from Devin, but to say that it's only about him taking other visits is crap in my opinion.  I know that's what Devin said Bobby Allen told him, but there's more to it - c'mon.  And everyone saying that he got what he deserved - I wonder what you would say if we pulled Askew's, Wright's and Hall's schollies b/c their "flirting", too.

I think it has more to do with what other options BP has.  I think Petrino feels good about other RB's, namely Dennis Johnson.  DJ didn't look to have a chance to qualify earlier in the year.  Now, he does.  Things change.  Also, as you guys have seen, we're really on Aundre Dean.  Dean, per most recruiting services and analysts, would be an upgrade when compared to Devin.  He also brings a different style - more power-oriented - which is important in BP's scheme.

Devin seems to be a great kid, a GREAT kid.  I feel sorry for him.  I don't think he was doing anything wrong with what he was saying.  The facilities comment is a little out there, but you'd be amazed at what get's twisted in interviews with other schools' recruiting writers.  I think Richard would all tell us that Devin is a well-mannered kid that has a hard time saying anything bad about a school.  He probably just got caught up a little when talking to the Ole Miss writers.

On the other end of the spectrum, BP did call Devin before he was scheduled to visit Devin.  Those saying that he completely no-showed need to also mention that.  He had the courtesy to call and let him know they wouldn't be making it down to SA; it's not like Devin was left hanging completely w/o knowing whether or not they were going to show up.

Bottom line - a new coaching staff comes in, so you're going to have some recruits looking around.  Likewise, the coaches will be looking at other options, too, due to various reasons.  I totally expected something like this to happen.  I just wish it wouldn't have happened to such a nice kid.  With that said, Devin will do fine, and we'll do fine. 

Cross your fingers for Aundre Dean!

nughaud

Old Old news... just trying to start trouble here, that's why your Smite is 13x your applause. 

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: RazorAg on January 18, 2008, 11:57:56 am
I wonder what you would say if we pulled Askew's, Wright's and Hall's schollies b/c their "flirting", too.

Its different with those guys.  Their in-state recruits.  You don't want to burn bridges in the state your college is in.  BP saw something that turned him away from this kid. I trust his judgement.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

OKhogfan1959

January 18, 2008, 12:32:20 pm #13 Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 12:34:18 pm by LawnHog48
Quote from: Amityvillehogger on January 18, 2008, 12:25:54 pm
Its different with those guys.  Their in-state recruits.  You don't want to burn bridges in the state your college is in.  BP saw something that turned him away from this kid. I trust his judgement.

If any recruit comes back from a visit badmouthing Arkansas the way Thomas did I would pull his offer. Period! No comparison to looking around and visiting but don't go on Ole Miss website and say Arkansas doesn't have anything on Ole Miss! Especially if you are commited to Arkansas!

If your going to go into detail about a recruit and be negative don't leave out the biggest part of that recruit not getting a visit.

I remember when Hatfield pulled Eric Mitchels offer and I was damn proud he did. We needed Mitchel badly he was a pure wishbone QB who visited OU and came back gushing about OU. Hatfield called and pulled his offer and then his momma went on TV and cried around saying how bad it was. I don't want any  recruit who disrespect's Arkansas!

Music City Hog

Quote from: Dropkick on January 18, 2008, 11:31:54 am

Petrino wasnt playing it with Devin Thomas.  Petrino is willing to play that game with Joe Adams, Curtis, etc.  For the right guy, any coach will play that game.  If Petrino was gonna say no to other  visits then he would pull the offers for many other players in addition to Thomas, not just his.

Given the circumstances and the late start, I think Bobby P is piecing together a decent group.  If he can only land Adamd, Gillespie, Boyd, Dean, etc, then he will have worked a miracle.  Excited to see what an entire year of recruiting will look like come next February.

jgphillips3

As tight lipped a ship as Petrino runs, we may never know for sure why he cut Devin loose, but I will trust that he has his reasons.  He is making such good strides in all other areas that I will cut him a lot of slack on this decision, no matter how good the kid becomes in college.  Petrino seems to be a machine and I am happy to let this machine do his job.

jim hog

Don't need to get negative about recruits and recruiting. Go hogs.

RazorAg

Quote from: LawnHog48 on January 18, 2008, 12:32:20 pm
If any recruit comes back from a visit badmouthing Arkansas the way Thomas did I would pull his offer. Period! No comparison to looking around and visiting but don't go on Ole Miss website and say Arkansas doesn't have anything on Ole Miss! Especially if you are commited to Arkansas!

If your going to go into detail about a recruit and be negative don't leave out the biggest part of that recruit not getting a visit.

I remember when Hatfield pulled Eric Mitchels offer and I was damn proud he did. We needed Mitchel badly he was a pure wishbone QB who visited OU and came back gushing about OU. Hatfield called and pulled his offer and then his momma went on TV and cried around saying how bad it was. I don't want any  recruit who disrespect's Arkansas!

Difference.  He didn't say Arkansas doesn't have anything on Ole Miss.  He said the Arkansas FACILITIES don't have anything on Ole Miss.

Here's the exact quote:

"Arkansas doesn't have anything on Ole Miss when it comes to facilities."

That is what he said.  If you want to generally label it as he was "badmouthing" Arkansas, then okay.  I don't see it that way, though.  I laughed when I saw the comment b/c even though it's opinion, he's largely in the minority when it comes to that topic.  I see him as an 18 year old, uninformed kid.  The truth is that Devin only saw a few of our facilities, not the whole menu.

I can list every article from Rivals, Scout and the main San Antonio paper.  That's the only thing he's said that's negative about Arkansas.

If you've read all you that's out there on Devin, I think you might cut him a little more slack.  I know he will be the enemy in 7.5 months; I just don't get the hostility toward the kid for this.

tbhogfan

From everything I have read about Devin, he is a quality young man with a caring family.  He has his choice of several interested colleges who are willing to pay his way so he can play football.

I think that Petrino was likely concerned about the severity of his injury, and whether he could come back at full speed and cutting ability.   He may have also looked at film and not felt that Devin was right for his offense (which I doubt).

Devin is going to be fine, and so are the Hogs.
Go Hogs!

SquidBilly

I don't see a ton of schools lining up for him now that he is decommitted.  He lives not too far from Texas and Texas A&M and neither seem to be recruiting him very hard.  That should maybe tell us something.

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 18, 2008, 11:17:56 am
He played us against other school and got burned! Boo Hoo He got what he deserved!  He wants to be a NUTTBROTHER!

He probably thought he could pull a "Bowden".

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: RazorAg on January 18, 2008, 12:58:25 pm
Difference.  He didn't say Arkansas doesn't have anything on Ole Miss.  He said the Arkansas FACILITIES don't have anything on Ole Miss.

Here's the exact quote:

"Arkansas doesn't have anything on Ole Miss when it comes to facilities."

That is what he said.  If you want to generally label it as he was "badmouthing" Arkansas, then okay.  I don't see it that way, though.  I laughed when I saw the comment b/c even though it's opinion, he's largely in the minority when it comes to that topic.  I see him as an 18 year old, uninformed kid.  The truth is that Devin only saw a few of our facilities, not the whole menu.

I can list every article from Rivals, Scout and the main San Antonio paper.  That's the only thing he's said that's negative about Arkansas.

If you've read all you that's out there on Devin, I think you might cut him a little more slack.  I know he will be the enemy in 7.5 months; I just don't get the hostility toward the kid for this.

No hostility  from me. Just read that article and took it as a shot at Arkansas. I would cut him all the slack in the world.

When I read that article I did take it to be Thomas saying Arkansas didn't have anything on Ole Miss. Funny how when you read something quickly and your a dumb ass like me you sometimes jump to conclusions that are wrong.

AuburnHog

Yeah I feel bad for the kid too.  He genuinely seems disappointed in Arkansas's decision not to pursue him any longer.  It's a business for Arkansas and they seem to be after a bigger fish so this kind of stuff is going to happen.  It's still sad for the kids involved. 

As far as his quote, I took it as him just trying to say something positive about Ole Miss.  I wasn't offended as an Arkansas fan......just thinking some 18 year old kid is talking to a reporter and is probably nervous.

I went back and looked at my yearbook from my senior year the other day.  There are quotes from me all over it. I said some retarded stuff.  I was clueless.

arkjay19

Quote from: beansandtaters on January 18, 2008, 11:19:05 am
well...when a "committed" player is doing interviews saying that Ole Miss has better facilities than AR and planning official visits all over the country, he shouldn't get the royal treatment. Fact is, he was flirting with going elsewhere, Dennis Johnson, an AR RB of his same caliber wanted to be a Razorback, so Petrino took the guy who he knew wanted to be here. I wish Devin all the luck, but a commitment has to be a two way street. Props to Petrino on a smart move.

True, I hadn't really thought about it like that.  Plus, Petrino looks to have Curtis and Johnson coming and hoping to get Dean too.  Thomas will be a great player, but he didn't handle the situation very well, and Petrino seems to be doing just fine.

jackflash

I hope the young man enjoys his college career. I think Ole Miss is getting a good one. Some time things don't work out in recruiting and it happens at every school. He has the right to look around and Arkansas has the right to go another way. This is what happen

calhawgfan

FWIW... A freind, who's son is a highly rated baseball player, had visits at UofA and Ole Miss last year. The kid chose Ole Miss for academic reasons, but both said that the sports facilities at Ole Miss were the same, or better, than at UofA. Just their opinion. . . . Just sayin'
Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

hog_fan

Quote from: calhawgfan on January 19, 2008, 07:58:06 am
FWIW... A freind, who's son is a highly rated baseball player, had visits at UofA and Ole Miss last year. The kid chose Ole Miss for academic reasons, but both said that the sports facilities at Ole Miss were the same, or better, than at UofA. Just their opinion. . . . Just sayin'

You really believe that? baseball stadium rank top 5 in the country? Where is Ole Miss ranked? track and field number 1 in the country. basketball one of the better ones. Football great to. Why did one ole miss football recruit mentioned they were told Ole Miss planned on upgrading. Could it be to get caught up with other schools. And this Thomas kid said Arkansas had NOTHING on Ole Miss. Seriously why would he even want to be a hog if Ole Miss is so much better plus his "family will be there".Sucks BP cant tell his side of the story. I'm sure Thomas is spinning it making it look worst then it is. Another thing you dont turn down wright when you have 4 people from warren you want plus others in future years.This will hurt lsightly but not much. Most people judge for themselves and won't let thomas affect where they go

hillhog

Trust in Petino, good luck to Thomas wherever he lands.

dougieritch

old news...Petrino called his bluff and went out and secured a talented RB from Texarkana. 

We'll let Nutty think he won, while in reality we just threw him a crumb.

Petrinos Pigs

When you're committed to a school you just don't rave about another school that way.
It pissed several people off when he made those comments he practically decommitted right then.
Hog Born and Hog Breed

RazorAg

Quote from: calhawgfan on January 19, 2008, 07:58:06 am

I know it's opinion, but that still befuddles me.  Let's take a look:

Football Stadium: Arkansas.  Ole Miss has made some improvements and increased capacity, but they aren't there yet.
Basketball Arena: Arkansas.  The Tad Pad - one of the worst in the conference.
Baseball Stadium: Arkansas.  Swayze Field isn't bad, but Baum is top 5 in the nation.

Then throw on top our Weight Room, Indoor Practice Field, Track Stadiums, etc.  I don't see where Ole Miss even has an argument.

Here's some evidence: http://www.thestateonline.com/news/pdfs/060719_secempire.pdf