Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big pops to Richard Davenport

Started by preach33, January 18, 2008, 08:51:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

preach33

January 18, 2008, 08:51:22 am Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:33:50 am by opineonswine
Hey Hog fans - I wanted to take a moment to give pops to RD his recruiting info in the dem gaz is top notch. Especially todays info. I appreciate how he updates us on the travels of our coaching staff and the info on the recruits.

Top notch work Richard.  :razorback:

Hollywood_HOGan45

really like the columns.
He also gives his opinion on where specific recruits will go. Even said he felt great about our chances with adams.

he's alot better than that guy that sounds like he's talking with a mouth ful of marbles.

preach33

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 18, 2008, 09:01:58 am
pops?

If you are - a wrestling fan. you would know that "pops" means that the crowd explodes when you enter the ring.

Tomhog™

Quote from: preach33 on January 18, 2008, 09:04:06 am
If you are - a wrestling fan. you would know that "pops" means that the crowd explodes when you enter the ring.

My avatar is Petrino.  I'm not a wrasslin' fan.  I just thought you were trying to say 'props'.

HamShank

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 18, 2008, 09:05:35 am
My avatar is Petrino.  I'm not a wrasslin' fan.  I just thought you were trying to say 'props'.

For what it's worth, I thought he was trying to say "props" too and was confused.

ksrazorback

Today's article by Richard is "Pops" or I too am not a wrasslin fan so Awesome article RD, that would be my word!! ;D

RD article always gives ya lots of the good stuff......
Razorbacks:
"I think they like the fact that we're going to play a little bit more physical style of football, play downhill, put on your big boy pants and love to play the game with physicality."

Southern Wisdom ~ 42.7 Percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!!
Go Deep Go Razorbacks...

Hogstocking

I hope Adams commits so we can all big pops

PigTimePlayer

If it is a reference to wrasslin, I'm proud to say that I didn't get it either . . .

I do echo the sentiment of giving Mad Props to RD . . . he is the best read in the sports section.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

hawgwash

This brings up a question which I've wondered about and will ask here, even though it shows my ignorance.  What's the origin of the term "props" when used to mean pay a compliment to someone?  Thanks.

nughaud

lol nobody says pops, Big Props to RD though, he does one hella job.

notreseveredname

no offence to wrestling fans or to you preach33, however I will add "pops" to the pet peeves word list that include words/phrases like "oh snap".

Peppa Pig

Quote from: hawgwash on January 18, 2008, 09:20:51 am
This brings up a question which I've wondered about and will ask here, even though it shows my ignorance.  What's the origin of the term "props" when used to mean pay a compliment to someone?  Thanks.

It's short for giving someone their "proper respect".

hawgwash

Quote from: poohpig on January 18, 2008, 09:34:42 am
It's short for giving someone their "proper respect".

Thank you!  I've wondered a long time what it came from.  +1 (and props) to you.  (Now I don't feel stupid using that phrase).

cdhogfan

I would also like to send out some snaps and crackles to RD.

Porkatarian

Richard Davenport is the best in the business by far.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Peppa Pig

Quote from: preach33 on January 18, 2008, 09:04:06 am

I'm not sure that's the correct way to use that.  A "pop" is the explosion of applause but I've never really heard it pluralized or used as "giving pops".  Doesn't really make sense.  That's like saying "I want to give Richard ovations for his great articles."

And my favorite is Mick Foley who was the king of the "cheap pop".  That's when the performer throws out the "It's great to be here in the BEST city in the world...LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS."  And the hometown crowd goes crazy.  Ahh, the cheap pop.

Razorvet

I think he meant to props. Good cover though. Pops to you preach.

dougieritch

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: cdhogfan on January 18, 2008, 09:37:01 am
I would also like to send out some snaps and crackles to RD.
Too funny! +1

jgphillips3

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 18, 2008, 09:39:26 am
Richard Davenport is the best in the business by far.

Porkatarian out...

Yeah, but does he give us a "mystery" recruit?  (sarcasm)

AFWarrior83

I think he meant pRops...  I agree, TRG WPStewie, and TomHog make the recruiting section what it is!
Hogville member since 2005.

preach33

Quote from: HamShank on January 18, 2008, 09:12:52 am
For what it's worth, I thought he was trying to say "props" too and was confused.

sorry for the confusion guys

preach33

Quote from: notreseveredname on January 18, 2008, 09:32:10 am
no offence to wrestling fans or to you preach33, however I will add "pops" to the pet peeves word list that include words/phrases like "oh snap".

Ok I will not use it anymore

PROPS - there that is better.

Dr Swineglove

Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

sivad53

Thanks for keeping us informed here on hogville Richard!

Ramble on Barbershop

member # 407

You are no better than anyone, you are just as good but no better, be HUMBLE and you will see the difference in relationships. He who can be carefree yet mindful at the same time, has found the secret of living in enlightened PEACE.

PigPusher

Quote from: HamShank on January 18, 2008, 09:12:52 am

I think it may be some form of shorthand that some use.  :-\
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

SC Hogman

He always gives us good info!
Great job! RD

BrooklynRoss

January 18, 2008, 12:58:52 pm #29 Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:00:46 pm by BrooklynRoss
Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 18, 2008, 09:05:35 am

I was thinking "Pops" like the Boston Pops orchestra, frequently guest-conducted by John Williams.

Irregardless, I love that Davenport guy. Best recruiting articles I've ever seen dealing with the Razorbacks. I hope he doesn't get poached by a big-time publishing machine, although it would be good to see him be even more successful. He deserves it.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Swine & Cheese Club

He's definitely earning his money this month.  Great job, Richard!

Thanks to WPStewie and TomHog for all of your insight here too.

Oklahawg

So nice to see everyone read the entire thread before replying.

When I think of "pop" I think of something I'd talk about in the tavern. :)

Richard does wonderful work. I imagine his work has been tough after the regime change, finding out the new directions the staff is going with recruiting.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra