Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need info on WR who commited today

Started by PigPusher, January 17, 2008, 06:17:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog1952

I know this is basketball but remember the Scottie Pippen story?
6ft. fr. manager at UCA!

Nate-Hawg

Quote from: Hog1952 on January 18, 2008, 01:53:42 pm
6ft. fr. manager at UCA!

Funny that you say that because I was tempted to throw that in my post as well.

beansandtaters

Quote from: Hog1952 on January 18, 2008, 01:53:42 pm
6ft. fr. manager at UCA!

Know why everyone remembers that story? Because situations like that rarely happen. That is why the teams that recruit at the top excel. The chances of a 5 star player being at minimum productive in college if he stays healthy are very high. Yes, there are instances of no names coming in and becoming something, but the Scottie Pippens/Jamaal Andersons don't happen too often.

I'll take 50 5 star players on my team and you take 50 3 star players on yours. Whose chances do you like?

Nate-Hawg

January 18, 2008, 02:55:52 pm #53 Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 03:00:04 pm by Nate-Hawg
Quote from: beansandtaters on January 18, 2008, 02:08:37 pm
Know why everyone remembers that story? Because situations like that rarely happen. That is why the teams that recruit at the top excel. The chances of a 5 star player being at minimum productive in college if he stays healthy are very high. Yes, there are instances of no names coming in and becoming something, but the Scottie Pippens/Jamaal Andersons don't happen too often.

I'll take 50 5 star players on my team and you take 50 3 star players on yours. Whose chances do you like?

You take 50 5 star players and give me 30 4 stars and 20 three stars and with 6 months of development by BP and his staff and I would have NO worries at all. You act like those "stars" are the only measurement for good players.

This is like measuring how much success someone will have in life solely based on their ACT score. Ridiculous.

Hog1952

You give me 5 Scottie Pippens and you can have whoever you want!!!!

oldman1015

Quote from: Big Austin on January 18, 2008, 10:20:04 am
Did anyone happen to notice how many stars Fred Bledsoe had beside his name?  How about his teammate Kevin Thornton?  After you look at those slide on over at look at Sam Olajabutu.  The guys that run these recruiting sites are not college or NFL caliber scouts.  We've been winning games at Arkansas for sveral years under HDN's poor offensive system with 2 and 3 star recruits.  I would also like to give a shot out to Tony Bua, George Wilson, and Jamal Anderson all 2 stars and even lower.
how many games have we won the last several years? how many top 20 finishes have we had? how many bowl game wins?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Nate-Hawg

January 18, 2008, 04:15:11 pm #56 Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:18:20 pm by Nate-Hawg
Quote from: oldman1015 on January 18, 2008, 04:07:15 pm
how many games have we won the last several years? how many top 20 finishes have we had? how many bowl game wins?

Like I said, a lot of variables. For instance, how many stars would the most integral part of our team (HC) for the last 10 years have gotten? Are you saying that with the talent that we've had, we couldn't have accomplished any of those things in the last several years?

bison77

We've had plenty of guys taken in the high rounds of the NFL draft in the last few years.  It has been coaching pure and simple that has prevented us from being in the elite in the SEC.  The talent on the field has been there.  The talent on the sideline is what was missing.

Razorvet

Well we prety much thrived on our highest ranked recruits and when they went down we pretty much sucked.

beansandtaters

Quote from: Nate-Hawg on January 18, 2008, 02:55:52 pm
You take 50 5 star players and give me 30 4 stars and 20 three stars and with 6 months of development by BP and his staff and I would have NO worries at all. You act like those "stars" are the only measurement for good players.

This is like measuring how much success someone will have in life solely based on their ACT score. Ridiculous.

OK...my POINT is here...i'll take 50 5 stars, you take 25 4 stars, 25 3 stars (whatever), put them on an equal playing field with equal coaching, etc. Who do you bet your money on?

The debate is not what effect coaching has or what Petrino can do with a 3 star. I'm simply pointing out that the majority of the time the scouts who evaluate these 5 star prospects are pretty much on the money.

Yes, i agree a good coach can win with 4 and 3 star players, BUT, to maintain success you have got to get some superstar recruits.

You can win this argument if you can look at the list that was posted above and tell me ONE school that has maintained BCS success that is NOT on that list.

The_Bionic_Pig

Research is based off rivals.com ratings..

#1.  Out of the top 250 H.S. players in the Nation 75 at the most are personally evaluated while the remainder are graded by film sent in by H.S. coaches.

#2.  The Above listing of Universities shows 6 top recruiting programs that were not even remotly close to sniffing a BCS bowl this season with those great recruiting classes over the past 5 yrs.

#3.  15 programs were listed correct well with their only being 30 total 5 STAR recruits in 2008 Class (out of the top 250)

#4.   Lets see how that translate into last years NFL draft:

5-star: 5 in the first round, 3 in the second round; Adrian Peterson selected highest at #7
4-star: 17 in the first round, 10 in the second round; Jamarcus Russell selected highest at #1
3-star: 7 in the first round, 14 in the second round; Gaines Adams selected highest at #4
2-star: 3 in the first round, 4 in the second round; Jamaal Anderson selected highest at #8
other: 0 in the first round, 2 in the second round; Ilaikai Alama-Francis selected highest at #58
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

PorkSoda

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 18, 2008, 05:48:35 pm
Research is based off rivals.com ratings..

#1.  Out of the top 250 H.S. players in the Nation 75 at the most are personally evaluated while the remainder are graded by film sent in by H.S. coaches.

#2.  The Above listing of Universities shows 6 top recruiting programs that were not even remotly close to sniffing a BCS bowl this season with those great recruiting classes over the past 5 yrs.

#3.  15 programs were listed correct well with their only being 30 total 5 STAR recruits in 2008 Class (out of the top 250)

#4.   Lets see how that translate into last years NFL draft:

5-star: 5 in the first round, 3 in the second round; Adrian Peterson selected highest at #7
4-star: 17 in the first round, 10 in the second round; Jamarcus Russell selected highest at #1
3-star: 7 in the first round, 14 in the second round; Gaines Adams selected highest at #4
2-star: 3 in the first round, 4 in the second round; Jamaal Anderson selected highest at #8
other: 0 in the first round, 2 in the second round; Ilaikai Alama-Francis selected highest at #58
The other thing to keep in mind is that most if not all two star recruits are "sleepers" in otherwords have not been evaulated.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Nate-Hawg

Quote from: beansandtaters on January 18, 2008, 04:53:03 pm
OK...my POINT is here...i'll take 50 5 stars, you take 25 4 stars, 25 3 stars (whatever), put them on an equal playing field with equal coaching, etc. Who do you bet your money on?

The debate is not what effect coaching has or what Petrino can do with a 3 star. I'm simply pointing out that the majority of the time the scouts who evaluate these 5 star prospects are pretty much on the money.

Yes, i agree a good coach can win with 4 and 3 star players, BUT, to maintain success you have got to get some superstar recruits.

You can win this argument if you can look at the list that was posted above and tell me ONE school that has maintained BCS success that is NOT on that list.
Those teams got to where they are long before rivals.com or 5 star ratings ever existed. You have to look at this the other way around. Those are established winning universities. They aren't where they are because of how many stars their recruits have had. They got their highly regarded recruits because of how established their programs already were.

jep_hog_fan