Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need info on WR who commited today

Started by PigPusher, January 17, 2008, 06:17:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PigPusher

Just got off the phone with a friend who told me he thought we signed a 4 star WR today.  Any information any of y'all can share?
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Rooka

Not signing anyone yet, But I would like to see who this 4 Star Reciever is that you speak of, anyone got any information?

HogFaninMemphis

It would be great to have some decent receivers.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

JIHawg

hog_fan

probably meant the 2-star TE that committed Tuesday night. He can also play WR. Or maybe Boyd commited?

PigWig

Quote from: hog_fan on January 17, 2008, 06:27:41 pm
probably meant the 2-star TE that committed Tuesday night. He can also play WR. Or maybe Boyd commited?
Or Adams.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: PigPusher on January 17, 2008, 06:17:18 pm
Just got off the phone with a friend who told me he thought we signed a 4 star WR today.  Any information any of y'all can share?

I'm not sure who your friend is referring to - the last commitment, announced today, is
from E J Epperson, a TE/WR.  Epperson is rated two star by Rivals, but a three star by Scout (I believe). 
Epperson looks like he could make a very good TE or LB, but he's not projected as a WR in college.

http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=68100

I think your friend might be referring to Joe Adams, a four star DB/WR from Central Arkansas Christian, and the top rated player in the state.  But, he's still listed as a soft verbal for USC.  Joe Adams is visiting Arkansas this weekend, and it's rumored he'll be switching his commitment to Arkansas after his visit, but that's still far from being a done deal.

Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

hog_fan

Quote from: PigPusher on January 17, 2008, 06:17:18 pm

Where did he hear or read this at?

PigPusher

Guys I did just a little checking and my buddy said he was from Tennessee. That's Epperson's haunt I believe.  Yes, Scout has him as a three star for whatever that really means. 

Thanks.....
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

The_Bionic_Pig

When the rankings were first released Epperson started out as a 5 STAR PLAYER ...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Sao Ming

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 17, 2008, 07:23:42 pm
When the rankings were first released Epperson started out as a 5 STAR PLAYER ...

What happened?  Did he lose an eye?

COCHISE

Quote from: Sao Ming on January 17, 2008, 07:27:17 pm
He got injured this season, but I'm not sure if that's the reason for the drop.

hog_fan

Just listen to his interview on sports rap. Liked his little shot he took at nutt.

want2be

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 17, 2008, 07:32:20 pm
If I remember correctly, he was rated the no. 4 TE in the country. Said it was his fault he didn't send out tapes to the recruiting gurus and such.

If Petrino likes him I like him

Sao Ming

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 17, 2008, 07:32:20 pm
If I remember correctly, he was rated the no. 4 TE in the country. Said it was his fault he didn't send out tapes to the recruiting gurus and such.

Very interesting TH.

I have a long drawn out theory on recruiting services and rankings but it's too much to write.  Wish I didn't have ADHD.

want2be

Quote from: Sao Ming on January 17, 2008, 07:36:24 pm
Very interesting TH.

I have a long drawn out theory on recruiting services and rankings but it's too much to write.  Wish I didn't have ADHD.

Yea, why are there more 2* recruits drafted early in the NFL and 3*

Facts speak for themselves
              It the HC responsibility to filter thru the star system

I trust Petrino and staff and having that ability

Hogs-n-Roses

When players are injured and miss lots of playing time as result os said injury, sometimes entire seasons, some of these services just start them over at 2 star status which is just a starting point for most recruits. I asked Tom Lemmings this a couple of years ago.

jgphillips3

Quote from: want2be on January 17, 2008, 07:41:44 pm

Amen...

I trust in Petrino because he has shown a great ability to maximize talent at a tradition poor college and get talent to campus.  He seems to have an incredible mind and unbelievable drive.  If his team plays like he works, we are in for a special treat in years to come.

online-with-swine

Big toe.  I understand it is important for balance.

Sao Ming

True.  You know, the highly advertised kids do have talent.  But how many times have seen seen kids in small town AR or TX that are complete animals?  They exist.  It's like going to Wal-Mart or the Mall and seeing 4 Jessica Alba's or Heidi Klums.  Just as hot as the Hollywood starlets, the only difference is they are as common as can be. 

COCHISE

This is an old article, but it looks like he may play with a chip on his shoulder...

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/660096.html

big john

wow looks like good kid with lot heart glad he,s ours i bet the kid will make us proud to, welcome to the hogs young man .
john goodwin

RazorAg

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 17, 2008, 07:23:42 pm

Stewie, that seemed to be a mistake if you're referring to him being a 5 star a few weeks ago.  When Scout re-released some of their rankings, Epperson showed up as a 5 star.  Then within a day or two, he became a 3 star.  Looked like a mistake.

Also, EJ is the one saying he started out as the #4 TE.  I'm not saying he wasn't, but I never saw it Rivals or Scout, and I've watched the rankings come out for the last 5 years.

Shizzle

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 17, 2008, 07:44:56 pm
Amen...

I trust in Petrino because he has shown a great ability to maximize talent at a tradition poor college and get talent to campus.  He seems to have an incredible mind and unbelievable drive.  If his team plays like he works, we are in for a special treat in years to come.

He sounds just like the last coach we had. I always heard Nutt could do more with less. I always thought he could do nothing............. I think we have made the biggest upgrade in the history of the UofA
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: RazorAg on January 17, 2008, 08:20:22 pm
Stewie, that seemed to be a mistake if you're referring to him being a 5 star a few weeks ago.  When Scout re-released some of their rankings, Epperson showed up as a 5 star.  Then within a day or two, he became a 3 star.  Looked like a mistake.

Also, EJ is the one saying he started out as the #4 TE.  I'm not saying he wasn't, but I never saw it Rivals or Scout, and I've watched the rankings come out for the last 5 years.

Thanks RAZ...  ;D
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: hog_fan on January 17, 2008, 07:33:32 pm
Just listen to his interview on sports rap. Liked his little shot he took at nutt.
what did he say?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

rightdp

"E.J. had 23 catches for 685 yards and 6 TD's as a junior"

Can this be right?  An average of almost 30 yards a catch?  That's unheard of.....

Buck Brewer

I've called a cousin that coaches in that neck of the woods, he says he's very, very good.

Nate-Hawg

January 17, 2008, 10:50:27 pm #29 Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 10:55:52 pm by Nate-Hawg

Luigs and Jamaal Anderson were 2 star players (rivals). Chris Houston was a three star and rivals doesn't even have his picture (see EJ Epperson). However, Robert Johnson was a 4 star and the 7th ranked all-purpose QB in the nation according to rivals. You can't rely on these recruiting sites, or the "team rankings" list. It's all a bunch of BS. These sites provide a very vague idea of what is going on, at best. I trust Bobby Petrino and his assistants to make the right decisions. They know exactly what their doing.

SquidBilly

January 17, 2008, 11:19:55 pm #30 Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 11:46:58 pm by ATLpiggie
Quote from: Nate-Hawg on January 17, 2008, 10:50:27 pm
Luigs and Jamaal Anderson were 2 star players (rivals). Chris Houston was a three star and rivals doesn't even have his picture (see EJ Epperson). However, Robert Johnson was a 4 star and the 7th ranked all-purpose QB in the nation according to rivals. You can't rely on these recruiting sites, or the "team rankings" list. It's all a bunch of BS. These sites provide a very vague idea of what is going on, at best. I trust Bobby Petrino and his assistants to make the right decisions. They know exactly what their doing.

Go back and find Amobe Okoye and Elvis Dumervil's rankings on Rivals.  Okoye is a two star OL from Alabama (no picture) and Dumervil was a 3 star from Florida.  Petrino recruited them both to Louisville and in Okoye's case changed his position to maximize his talent.  I think both of them turned out okay as well.  Petrino is definitely good at finding and developing talent.

big john

amen on that i trust our coach over any body .
john goodwin

yraciv

January 18, 2008, 12:06:24 am #32 Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 12:10:25 am by yraciv

Thats because there are tons of 2 star and 3 star recruits, so much more then 5 stars.  I'd still take the % of 5 stars that make it to the NFL over 4 stars,3s, etc.  I j/ looked at who were the top players in 2004 "4 years ago" on rivals, and they had Adrian Peterson #1.  Thats a pretty good projection.  He was followed by Ted Ginn and Early Doucet, 3 guys who should stick in the NFL.  There are always busts or surprises, but I think as a whole those are pretty good.  Thats my rivals philosophy.

VenturaHog

Quote from: yraciv on January 18, 2008, 12:06:24 am
Thats because there are tons of 2 star and 3 star recruits, so much more then 5 stars.  I'd still take the % of 5 stars that make it to the NFL over 4 stars,3s, etc.  I j/ looked at who were the top players in 2004 "4 years ago" on rivals, and they had Adrian Peterson #1.  Thats a pretty good projection.  He was followed by Ted Ginn and Early Doucet, 3 guys who should stick in the NFL.  There are always busts or surprises, but I think as a whole those are pretty good.  Thats my rivals philosophy.

Well said, also there is a direct correlation between consistant top 10 classes and National Championships. Recruiting rankings are imprecise but not worthless.

Nate-Hawg

January 18, 2008, 12:27:54 am #34 Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 12:32:59 am by Nate-Hawg
Quote from: yraciv on January 18, 2008, 12:06:24 am

Sorry, maybe I don't watch enough football, but I only recognize a couple of names on this list. Well, they were definately right about one of those names. But the other one could have been a little higher. What's going on with all these other guys? Seriously, I don't know. Some of them should be going pro early too right?

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=884

yraciv

Quote from: Nate-Hawg on January 18, 2008, 12:27:54 am
Sorry, maybe I don't watch enough football, but I only recognize a couple of names on this list. Well, they were definately right about one of those names. But the other one could have been a little higher. What's going on with all these other guys? Seriously, I don't know. Some of them should be going pro early too right?

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=884

Thats a list of just Athletes.  If you look at all 2005 top 100, a lot more recognizable names, but I'll fill you in on some.  Harris is a "macho" defensive back that has declared.  Bass showed promise, but has always had injury problems.  Byrd is Georgia's starting safety I believe.     You are right though I only recognize a couple of those other names, but thats j/ athletes and 2 of 3 5 stars they got right.  Williams still could prove himself next year and get drafted.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: Nate-Hawg on January 17, 2008, 10:50:27 pm

Chris Houston being a 3 star is right on the money. Don't give me that physical corner BS either. As for Rojo, he was never developed and at least he showed a lot of character by switching positions to help the team. Plus he and Rashaad were going to transfer to Baylor and Nutt promised Rojo the starting QB job to stay. Of course he started the USC game and well you know all the rest. Not saying he should've been the starter, just saying Nutt shouldn't have screwed him over.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

jpenrod1

Quote from: clifflee4mvp on January 18, 2008, 01:41:01 am
Chris Houston being a 3 star is right on the money. Don't give me that physical corner BS either. As for Rojo, he was never developed and at least he showed a lot of character by switching positions to help the team. Plus he and Rashaad were going to transfer to Baylor and Nutt promised Rojo the starting QB job to stay. Of course he started the USC game and well you know all the rest. Not saying he should've been the starter, just saying Nutt shouldn't have screwed him over.

Im going to go with all the NFL guys that all saw what you apparently can not from houston. I agree ROJO never had a chance, just like Casey and all the other QBs we have had. none have a lack of talent just coaching. I dont put a lot of faith in these sites especially since a lot of how they rate them is by what offers they get. These sites wait for schools scouts to do there work a lot of times. they know what they are talking about on the top 50, but its hit and miss everywhere else. you cant trust them.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: jpenrod1 on January 18, 2008, 01:45:44 am
Im going to go with all the NFL guys that all saw what you apparently can not from houston. I agree ROJO never had a chance, just like Casey and all the other QBs we have had. none have a lack of talent just coaching. I dont put a lot of faith in these sites especially since a lot of how they rate them is by what offers they get. These sites wait for schools scouts to do there work a lot of times. they know what they are talking about on the top 50, but its hit and miss everywhere else. you cant trust them.

The NFL saw something in Batman too......How'd that work out? He got owned just like Houston will. He'll be out of the league in a few years playing AFL 2 or maybe AAFL or Landers commercials.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Nate-Hawg

January 18, 2008, 03:01:40 am #39 Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 03:27:03 am by Nate-Hawg
Quote from: yraciv on January 18, 2008, 01:36:06 am

Thats a list of just Athletes.  If you look at all 2005 top 100, a lot more recognizable names, but I'll fill you in on some.  Harris is a "macho" defensive back that has declared.  Bass showed promise, but has always had injury problems.  Byrd is Georgia's starting safety I believe.     You are right though I only recognize a couple of those other names, but thats j/ athletes and 2 of 3 5 stars they got right.  Williams still could prove himself next year and get drafted.

Yeah, you're right. I recognized about 5 names on that list.

Listen, I'm not calling anyone out here. I'm just stating how many 5 stars end up 2 and 3 star athletes and 2 and 3 star athletes are developed into 5 star athletes. You guys have got to remember what we are dealing with here. These are 18 year old kids. They aren't even finished growing. In fact some of them have just gotten out of a major growth spurt and still aren't quite as coordinated as they will be, not to mention speed. It is very difficult to accurately judge even the top 50 athletes, and with all of the variables that would need to be taken into account, quite simply, it's impossible.

How much muscle weight can the kid put on?
How much weight can their frame comfortably hold without losing speed and/or quickness?
Will his coach be able to develop him?
Will he excel in his schools system? (See- Colt Brennan/Tim Tebow)--had to throw that in there.
Has he had any recent injuries? Fully healed? Prone to re-injury?

Just WAY too many variables that can't be answered... again, impossible.

HamShank

You made me laugh out loud, so that means +1.

Razorvet

Well as far as I can tell the reason alot of these guys never do anything is bc they are burried so deep at thier school of choice. I think these kids get some really bad advice. Its obvious looking at some of these schools commit lists they are only recruiting some of these kids to bench them and keep them away from the competition.

Peppa Pig

Quote from: VenturaHog on January 18, 2008, 12:16:28 am
Well said, also there is a direct correlation between consistant top 10 classes and National Championships. Recruiting rankings are imprecise but not worthless.

These numbers tell the story on the importance of recruiting high profile talent.

Notice the top 4 teams? Those are your past 4 national Title winners.

The first number is the avg star ratings for these schools over the past 5 years.
The second number is the avg wins per year.

1.USC- 3.88- 11.8
2.Florida- 3.69- 9.2
3.Texas- 3.67- 10.8
4.LSU- 3.65- 11.2 (2 Championships)
5.Florida State- 3.58- 8.2
6.Michigan- 3.57- 9.2
7.Oklahoma- 3.57- 10.8
8.Georgia- 3.53- 10.2
9.Ohio State- 3.48- 10.4
10.Miami-FL- 3.46- 8.2
11.Tennessee- 3.39- 8.8
12.Notre Dame- 3.32- 6.6
13.Auburn- 3.23- 10
14.Penn State- 3.22- 7.2
15.Alabama- 3.15- 6.6

Big Austin

Did anyone happen to notice how many stars Fred Bledsoe had beside his name?  How about his teammate Kevin Thornton?  After you look at those slide on over at look at Sam Olajabutu.  The guys that run these recruiting sites are not college or NFL caliber scouts.  We've been winning games at Arkansas for sveral years under HDN's poor offensive system with 2 and 3 star recruits.  I would also like to give a shot out to Tony Bua, George Wilson, and Jamal Anderson all 2 stars and even lower.

oldfart

[. You guys have got to remember what we are dealing with here. These are 18 year old kids. They aren't even finished growing. In fact some of them have just gotten out of a major growth spurt and still aren't quite as coordinated as they will be, not to mention speed. It is very difficult to accurately judge even the top 50 athletes, and with all of the variables that would need to be taken into account, quite simply, it's impossible.

How much muscle weight can the kid put on?
How much weight can their frame comfortably hold without losing speed and/or quickness?
Will his coach be able to develop him?
Will he excel in his schools system? (See- Colt Brennan/Tim Tebow)--had to throw that in there.
Has he had any recent injuries? Fully healed? Prone to re-injury?

Just WAY too many variables that can't be answered... again, impossible.
[/quote]

you are correct here. my son is 18, when he started college last fall he was 6'2 and by the end of the fall semester he was 6'5" and he is STILL growing.  not everyone has reached their full growth by the time  they start college.

Big Austin

Quote from: poohpig on January 18, 2008, 10:00:52 am
These numbers tell the story on the importance of recruiting high profile talent.

The first number is the avg star ratings for these schools over the past 5 years.

1.USC- 3.88- 11.8
2.Florida- 3.69- 9.2
3.Texas- 3.67- 10.8
6.Michigan- 3.57- 9.2
7.Oklahoma- 3.57- 10.8
8.Georgia- 3.53- 10.2
9.Ohio State- 3.48- 10.4
10.Miami-FL- 3.46- 8.2
11.Tennessee- 3.39- 8.8
12.Notre Dame- 3.32- 6.6
13.Auburn- 3.23- 10
14.Penn State- 3.22- 7.2
15.Alabama- 3.15- 6.6

Plenty of the programs on this list are heading south or are stuck in mediocrity.  Does this mean that how a coach runs a program is more important than recruiting?

Peppa Pig

Quote from: Big Austin on January 18, 2008, 10:26:00 am
Plenty of the programs on this list are heading south or are stuck in mediocrity.  Does this mean that how a coach runs a program is more important than recruiting?

And ALL the teams that have competed for championships over this period are on this list.  If you don't recruit high profile players, you don't compete for titles.  Period.  Bottom line.

DoggtownHog

I would agree that it is very difficult to predict how an 18 yr old will develop. I personally didn't hit muscle maturity until the end of my first year of college. Some kids also have gotten by on raw talant alone and have no work ethic. I will predict that the EJ kid from TN will be a good player for us. Maybe even offer good sound bites for reporters. He is a 4* comment maker.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

Nate-Hawg

Quote from: poohpig on January 18, 2008, 10:00:52 am

1.USC- 3.88- 11.8
2.Florida- 3.69- 9.2
3.Texas- 3.67- 10.8
6.Michigan- 3.57- 9.2
7.Oklahoma- 3.57- 10.8
8.Georgia- 3.53- 10.2
9.Ohio State- 3.48- 10.4
10.Miami-FL- 3.46- 8.2
11.Tennessee- 3.39- 8.8
12.Notre Dame- 3.32- 6.6
13.Auburn- 3.23- 10
14.Penn State- 3.22- 7.2
15.Alabama- 3.15- 6.6

Nice semantics, but you can't argue this topic on those semantics alone. Of course the win percentage is going to correllate with getting high recruits. You have to remember though, these schools get just as many recruits as everyone else so when 12 of their 23 or 24 great recruits suck and then 2 or 3 get injured, they still have 9 or 10 left. You don't need very many amazing players to make a great team. Ask Kansas, Mizzou, West Va., any of Bobby Petrino's Louisville classes, or the 2006 Razorback, about winning with a highly ranked recruiting class. Then ask Notre Dame what the HELL happened this year?

PigPusher

Quote from: DoggtownHog on January 18, 2008, 11:04:45 am
I would agree that it is very difficult to predict how an 18 yr old will develop. I personally didn't hit muscle maturity until the end of my first year of college. Some kids also have gotten by on raw talant alone and have no work ethic. I will predict that the EJ kid from TN will be a good player for us. Maybe even offer good sound bites for reporters. He is a 4* comment maker.

Totally agree. The time from 18 to 20 or 21 are big development (physical and mental) years for a man.  Height, weight and muscle acuity are things that can and do change drastically during that time. Throw in some real good Petrino coaching and no telling what will happen with our recruits. The sky is the limit as it were.