Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

End of the one and done rule.

Started by rhog1, October 16, 2017, 01:20:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 16, 2017, 01:33:00 pm
I think the zero or two/three rule is the best option. MLB does it right. They also need to make the draft like the MLB where guys who don't like where they are drafted can go back to school.
Yes, either one of those options.  Take them straight out of high school if the teams are willing to take the risk.  Otherwise, leave them alone and let the college coaches have them for 3 years.

hogsolutely

What there should be is a top 150 camp.  Take the top 15 or 30 an say you are ready for NBA, or to play over seas.  Then tell the rest of them go to college gain some skills make it were eligible for the draft after 3 years of college.  You will have some that will leave an some that stay an finish degree.   

FATHAWG08

Let them go straight out of HS. If they don't get drafted or make it in  the pros tough luck no chance to go back to college. Lesson learned hopefully for future kids.. Getting s scholarship to play College Ball/ get a degree is a privileged. Some time in their life they will reflect and realize it was the best time in their lives!!
I love off season Football!!

texas tush hog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 17, 2017, 07:21:22 am
    I like the if you sign then you stay for 3 rule.  If the great ones can sign right out of HS then so be it.  But I am curious if the rule would drive some to the JUCO's so they could go after 1 or 2 years?

That's the way it is in baseball.

UKChamps

Calipari: No matter changes to the sport, "You're helping Kentucky" by Mrs. Tyler Thompson on October 18, 2017 at 4:56 PM   Earlier this week, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said the one-and-done rule's days are numbered, but regardless what happens, John Calipari says Kentucky will be just fine.  What could take the one-and-done rule's place? A likely solution would allow players to go to the NBA or the D-League directly from high school or to college for two years. In a lengthy rant, Calipari outlined several issues with that scenario: 1) it would lead to NBA scouts preying on high school players; 2) it would devalue high school academics; and 3) most high school kids aren't cut out for the D-League.  "I believe these kids should be able to go out of high school," Cal said. "The problem with that is, the NBA then has to go back into putting scouts in high school gyms when kids are juniors. Then I ask you, how healthy is that for these young kids?"  Calipari actually praised the NCAA for raising academic standards a few years back, which forced recruits to get their academics up to come to college. If the rule changes to where players can go directly to the D-League/NBA, he fears all of that progress will go out the window, and 98% of the players that would go to the D-League wouldn't make it.  "If you send high school kids to the D-League, how many of them will make the NBA? Give me a number. Five percent? You know that's too high. Probably two or three percent. What do we do with the ones that don't make it? Tell me."   "We just had the highest graduation rate of basketball players in the history of our sport, the highest African-American graduation rate in the history of our sport. Let's not throw all this out. Let's figure out how we tweak this. If there are issues we want to deal with, let's deal with them."  Calipari said the D-League should remain a training ground for players who want to get back into the league, not kids who are fresh out of high school.  "My thing is, there's going to be unintended consequences if we don't think of these kids. The D-League is unbelievable. I have five or six kids in it right now fighting to get back in the NBA. That's what it should be for. To have a kid out of high school, on his own, getting up on his own, when mom was waking him up every single day. I don't know if they're built for that."  Back to the one-and-done rule. Calipari wondered who it is actually failing: the players or the coaches who can't land them?  "Who is this not working for? Is it individual schools? Then don't recruit these kids. If it's not working for you, don't recruit them. Recruit who you want to recruit. You have a choice. If it's not working for the NBA, tell me what's not working for the NBA. If it's not working for universities, tell me what's not working for the universities. I just need to know. You can't say it's not working. Tell me what's not working. Why, for ten or twelve kids, would we change this whole thing? Just throw it out? Now, I'm saying there are things we can do if we come together."  One suggestion Calipari had is giving the top 15-18 players every year a loan so that their families could travel to see them play.  "The NBA cares about these kids. So there's 15, 18 of them, meet with them and their families, and let them have a loan. Let those families have a loan for expenses for families to travel back and forth to games. Let them have a loan. Let the loan go through the university. We can do this kind of stuff."  No matter what happens, Calipari said Kentucky will eat first.  "I'm going to make everybody mad, so listen closely. If they say, either go to the D-League/NBA or to college, we're benefitting. [Players] are going to say, do I go to the D-League, am I ready to be on my own? Or do I go to Kentucky for two years and build my brand and win and be a part of this? I'm going to Kentucky."  He even fit in a dig at Jerry Tipton.  "We're benefitting. So, you want to go that route? And — Jerry, you won't be here by then — I will have teams for two years now. I wouldn't know what to do. I would be whistling and skipping in every practice. I'd have teams for two years. Are you kidding me? The unintended consequence of doing some of this, you're helping Kentucky. That will change it, so that ain't happening now."  Swag.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: UKChamps on October 18, 2017, 09:29:58 pm
Calipari: No matter changes to the sport, "You're helping Kentucky" by Mrs. Tyler Thompson on October 18, 2017 at 4:56 PM   Earlier this week, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said the one-and-done rule's days are numbered, but regardless what happens, John Calipari says Kentucky will be just fine.  What could take the one-and-done rule's place? A likely solution would allow players to go to the NBA or the D-League directly from high school or to college for two years. In a lengthy rant, Calipari outlined several issues with that scenario: 1) it would lead to NBA scouts preying on high school players; 2) it would devalue high school academics; and 3) most high school kids aren't cut out for the D-League.  "I believe these kids should be able to go out of high school," Cal said. "The problem with that is, the NBA then has to go back into putting scouts in high school gyms when kids are juniors. Then I ask you, how healthy is that for these young kids?"  Calipari actually praised the NCAA for raising academic standards a few years back, which forced recruits to get their academics up to come to college. If the rule changes to where players can go directly to the D-League/NBA, he fears all of that progress will go out the window, and 98% of the players that would go to the D-League wouldn't make it.  "If you send high school kids to the D-League, how many of them will make the NBA? Give me a number. Five percent? You know that's too high. Probably two or three percent. What do we do with the ones that don't make it? Tell me."   "We just had the highest graduation rate of basketball players in the history of our sport, the highest African-American graduation rate in the history of our sport. Let's not throw all this out. Let's figure out how we tweak this. If there are issues we want to deal with, let's deal with them."  Calipari said the D-League should remain a training ground for players who want to get back into the league, not kids who are fresh out of high school.  "My thing is, there's going to be unintended consequences if we don't think of these kids. The D-League is unbelievable. I have five or six kids in it right now fighting to get back in the NBA. That's what it should be for. To have a kid out of high school, on his own, getting up on his own, when mom was waking him up every single day. I don't know if they're built for that."  Back to the one-and-done rule. Calipari wondered who it is actually failing: the players or the coaches who can't land them?  "Who is this not working for? Is it individual schools? Then don't recruit these kids. If it's not working for you, don't recruit them. Recruit who you want to recruit. You have a choice. If it's not working for the NBA, tell me what's not working for the NBA. If it's not working for universities, tell me what's not working for the universities. I just need to know. You can't say it's not working. Tell me what's not working. Why, for ten or twelve kids, would we change this whole thing? Just throw it out? Now, I'm saying there are things we can do if we come together."  One suggestion Calipari had is giving the top 15-18 players every year a loan so that their families could travel to see them play.  "The NBA cares about these kids. So there's 15, 18 of them, meet with them and their families, and let them have a loan. Let those families have a loan for expenses for families to travel back and forth to games. Let them have a loan. Let the loan go through the university. We can do this kind of stuff."  No matter what happens, Calipari said Kentucky will eat first.  "I'm going to make everybody mad, so listen closely. If they say, either go to the D-League/NBA or to college, we're benefitting. [Players] are going to say, do I go to the D-League, am I ready to be on my own? Or do I go to Kentucky for two years and build my brand and win and be a part of this? I'm going to Kentucky."  He even fit in a dig at Jerry Tipton.  "We're benefitting. So, you want to go that route? And — Jerry, you won't be here by then — I will have teams for two years now. I wouldn't know what to do. I would be whistling and skipping in every practice. I'd have teams for two years. Are you kidding me? The unintended consequence of doing some of this, you're helping Kentucky. That will change it, so that ain't happening now."  Swag.

It's always heartwarming to hear a pimp that is so concerned about his ho's. That 8 months at Kentucky, living in a $300k condo and being catered to more so than NBA players is really setting them up to get that degree and be much more mature.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Cure

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 18, 2017, 01:54:53 pm
Some time in their life they will reflect and realize it was the best time in their lives!!
That's a myth.

They need to go ahead and go to the pros, not as if they are a higher risk take than a player that played any amount of years in college. College ball is corrupt anyway.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

PonderinHog

Calipari makes some interesting points.  Here's my question.  If they go to a two and out agreement and Cal loads up on 5 stars in year one, will all the five stars in year two still flock to Kentucky and wait their turn or will they seek playing time elsewhere?

There are only so many roster spots/scholarships available per team, right?

azhog10

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 19, 2017, 08:40:05 am
Calipari makes some interesting points.  Here's my question.  If they go to a two and out agreement and Cal loads up on 5 stars in year one, will all the five stars in year two still flock to Kentucky and wait their turn or will they seek playing time elsewhere?

There are only so many roster spots/scholarships available per team, right?
Elsewhere. He may get a couple, but no way he's landing 4-5 every year. Those guys don't want to go somewhere and basically sit, or play second fiddle for half of their college career. They don't need Cal to go pro in two years. What's even better, is the bottom 5 star recruits aren't that much better than some of your 4 star guys. It was typically those 5-6 guys that end up being lottery picks after their first year that set those teams ahead. This will level the playing field for sure.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: daprospecta on October 17, 2017, 02:31:11 pm
I like this, you go to college, you stay for two years.  The only problem with the draft is you'd have coaches scrambling if a player decided to stay in.

Was this that big of an issue when there was no one and done rule? I don't remember.

GuvHog

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 16, 2017, 10:33:12 pm
I'm a college basketball fan first and foremost. I'd love to see a rule like the NFL implements(3 years removed from HS). I know this is totally up to the NBA, but I'd love to see it.

That's EXACTLY the way it should be done.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jimmiewkersh

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 17, 2017, 08:29:03 am
Lol stop it. When I go back and watch old games, I see just as much bad basketball as good. The pace that teams play at now is unprecedented. I don't think there's a team in NBA history that could have beaten the Warriors in the finals this past season.
I seem to remember Showtime in LA, the BadBoys in Detroit, and the Bulls 2nd 3-Peat teams as potent.

hogsmash12

Quote from: 1highhog on October 17, 2017, 01:01:48 am
The NBA sucks these days, whatever anyone thinks, the players these days can't carry the jockstrap of the past players.  Sure, they have performance enhanced bodies and such, but all of these players that come straight out of high school after a year in College or some straight out of high school and then with the NBA having expanded to the size it is now has really watered down the overall talent of the league and the teams.  Also, today's players are babies compared to the players from even the 80's and 90's, they were men who played rough and tough and played through pain and didn't cry every time they were touched.

Made me think of Joe Dumars from back in the day

UKChamps

Quote from: azhog10 on October 19, 2017, 09:15:17 am
Elsewhere. He may get a couple, but no way he's landing 4-5 every year. Those guys don't want to go somewhere and basically sit, or play second fiddle for half of their college career. They don't need Cal to go pro in two years. What's even better, is the bottom 5 star recruits aren't that much better than some of your 4 star guys. It was typically those 5-6 guys that end up being lottery picks after their first year that set those teams ahead. This will level the playing field for sure.

If that rationale were true then they wouldn't need him for one year either. It will do the opposite, the blue bloods will all get bluer.  The 38-1 year had a lot of folks drafted with a loaded roster put together from 2 seasons of recruiting. His players first methodology brings them in.  It's really the best of both worlds for Cal.   

RebHog

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 16, 2017, 10:33:12 pm
I'm a college basketball fan first and foremost. I'd love to see a rule like the NFL implements(3 years removed from HS). I know this is totally up to the NBA, but I'd love to see it.

I would love to see the elite stay in college for more than 1 year also. I just don't see how anyone thinks its a good idea to give a 17 year old truck loads of cash and put him on the road traveling. What kept me out of a lot of trouble as a youth was I was broke and couldn't go anywhere! If you try to force kids to stay 3 years I think you would see a flood of over seas players for 3 years unless the under the table illegal money still flows like wine. It will never happen but the best case scenario for fans would be allow kids to be drafted while still in college start making a small base salary from the team as they continue to develop at the college level then after 3-4 years then sign official deal with team.

azhog10

Quote from: UKChamps on October 20, 2017, 11:05:11 am
If that rationale were true then they wouldn't need him for one year either. It will do the opposite, the blue bloods will all get bluer.  The 38-1 year had a lot of folks drafted with a loaded roster put together from 2 seasons of recruiting. His players first methodology brings them in.  It's really the best of both worlds for Cal.   
Disagree to a lot of what you said. It's not his players first methodology. It'$ other thing$ that bring$ tho$e recruit$ to Kentucky.......Monk didn't go there for free

jbcarol

KSR: Adam Silver's comments about the one-and-done are (again) off-base yet uninformed (by Aaron_Torres)

QuoteThe removal of the one-and-done has become Silver's pet project, his personal crusade, the number one thing on his to-do list, even as the league enters a season with its greatest imbalance ever (barring injury, there is only one team that can win the championship). After all, who cares about stars joining forces or NBA players sitting out big games, when we can instead worry about an 18-year-old point guard being forced to spend a single season in Lexington, Durham or Tucson, right? Won't someone please think of the children?!

Silver is thinking about the children, and in a vacuum I have no problem with it. He's the NBA commissioner. It's his league and his rule and he has every right to alter the rules as he sees fit. If he wants the best players to be able to enter the NBA out of high school, or put them in some kind of developmental program at 5, 10 or 15-years-old, so be it.

No, that's not where my issue with Silver lies. Instead, my issue with Silver is this: In the midst of trying to make the argument against the one-and-done rule, he continues to twist facts and make up lies to prove his points. If Silver just wants the rule gone (likely to help beef up the D-League, which the NBA has invested millions in) that's fine. But just say it. Don't twist facts and alter the truth to hammer home the point.

Only that's exactly what he's doing, which is why I decided to write today, because if no one will call Silver on his...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The_Bionic_Pig

This rule will not make much of a impact on Kentucky's Recruiting other than more teams will aquire elite talent because a entire roster of McDonald's AA's will not be headed to Lexington each and every year.

John Calapari would be exposed as a coach without a roster loaded with projected professional talent reloading each year while forcing undeveloped one's to transfer or submit their names to make room.

Vandy, South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Georgia achieving success relying more of development.

I'd rather a Zion Williams to stay in-state a become a Gamecock than another photo op with Calapari on draft day, especially vwith the most conceited fanbase in basketball.

Fortunately for Us the majority of the elite instate talent have great familiarity with each other and current player's already in the program.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*