Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carson Proctor - QB Commit

Started by RME, March 17, 2016, 10:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RME

factchecker

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2664290/highlights/295956380

Class of 2016 QB--- preferred walk-on I believe.

Richard might be able to fill us in on all the details.

Wooo Pig!!!!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

RME

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 17, 2016, 10:52:07 am
walk on

Gotcha, that's what I assumed. I got the Bleacher Report update on my phone that said he committed and didn't even realize he was c/o 2016 until I looked at his profile. Talk about a cabinet full of QBs.

King Kong

He has nice physical tools. QB is an important spot to have quality depth. Not only in case of injury but as a scout QB to give the starting Defense the best look possible

factchecker

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 17, 2016, 10:54:54 am
Gotcha, that's what I assumed. I got the Bleacher Report update on my phone that said he committed and didn't even realize he was c/o 2016 until I looked at his profile. Talk about a cabinet full of QBs.

We moved last years walk-on QB, Troy Allison, to wide receiver.  We did add another walk-on in Jack Lindsey.  I agree....we have a ton of QBs. 

Barring any transfers we will have 5 scholly QBs (Allen, Peavey, Storey, Town, and Kelley) and 2 walk-ons (Lindsey and Proctor).  Not to mention two former QBs playing receiver (Allision) and running-back (Duwop).

Selfishly I hope everyone stays. Realistically, I understand someone most likely will transfer.

No matter who leaves -- Hogville will melt down.

In regards to Proctor,  he is a smart kid.  At 6'3" he fits Coach Enos' bigger QB mold.  I hope he has an awesome time at our great university.  I'm glad he decided to be a Hog!

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MS_HogFan

Quote from: factchecker on March 17, 2016, 11:08:12 am
We moved last years walk-on QB, Troy Allison, to wide receiver.  We did add another walk-on in Jack Lindsey.  I agree....we have a ton of QBs. 

Barring any transfers we will have 5 scholly QBs (Allen, Peavey, Storey, Town, and Kelley) and 2 walk-ons (Lindsey and Proctor).  Not to mention two former QBs playing receiver (Allision) and running-back (Duwop).

Selfishly I hope everyone stays. Realistically, I understand someone most likely will transfer.

No matter who leaves -- Hogville will melt down.

In regards to Proctor,  he is a smart kid.  At 6'3" he fits Coach Enos' bigger QB mold.  I hope he has an awesome time at our great university.  I'm glad he decided to be a Hog!

Thanks Fact.

You are quickly becoming one of favorite posters
SOOIE

factchecker

Quote from: MS_HogFan on March 17, 2016, 11:11:17 am
Thanks Fact.

You are quickly becoming one of favorite posters

No problem.

If anyone is looking for a connection or how we found Carson--- I think that beyond regular recruiting the main connector is Ken Mastrole.

Mastrole runs a quarterback academy in South Florida.  Carson is one of his pupils.  I also believe that Brandon has worked with him as well. 

https://twitter.com/MastrolePassing/status/710483926461104128

https://twitter.com/MastrolePassing/status/710269654191644672

https://twitter.com/MastrolePassing/status/709524363712696320

https://twitter.com/MastrolePassing/status/709460535176081409
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: MS_HogFan on March 17, 2016, 12:49:14 pm
Damn dude. Do you work?

Off today... traded shifts....

edit--- wife will be home in about an hour so I'll be put to work soon.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

OLDHOG

He looks like a keeper to me. Thanks for the info. 4.3 GPA!

woopig

pignparadise

He's a three star on 247. Hell of a walkon!
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

whosiskid

I think I'm one of the few who doesn't think that we lose any QBs this summer or spring. We might lose some next spring, as in a year, but for now we are safe, as long as one thing happens.

The current depth chart, excluding next fall's QB, who will surely redshirt (if he doesn't, we'd have three scholarship freshman QBs).

Austin Allen
Rafe Peavey
Ty Storey
Ricky Town

Town promised - it was a condition for Arkansas giving him a spot on the team - that he will not transfer if he doesn't like his place in the depth chart. That is key. That means that the coaches can manage expectations for all the players.

I believe that unless some player really blows up - and that would probably be either Peavey or Storey - the depth chart is going to stay the same all the way through the spring and into next fall. We know that Town has had some problems learning the play book, so he is definitely behind the other QBs.

As long as the depth chart stays the way it is right now, no one is likely to leave. The chart seems to be based on seniority and players can accept that, as long as it is adhered to. The others are even likely to support Austin as he takes his turn. And after he leaves, they will support Rafe as he takes his shot. And then we'll have our first battle. The greatest gladiator match in . . . oh, sorry. Seen too many movie previews lately. Storey and Town battle it out. But I think that well before they reach the point where a decision has to be made. There are a lot of really silly things being said about Town and Storey. I think those who were claiming he would start next fall have largely shut up since Bielema has made it clear that he has some catching up to do. A lot of that is not his fault. It is standard under Bielema that the lowest QB on the depth chart run the practice squad team. So Town did that this year. Peavey did it last year and Duwop Mitchell the year before that (if I have my years straight). That means you get to take a lot of snaps, but they aren't really snaps that help integrate you into the team. I watched videos of Storey in every game he played in high school (thank you HUDL) and at the Elite 11 regionals (where he shone as a junior and would have gone to the finals except only seniors are eligible - he did very well as a senior despite nursing a leg injury, but he just missed the cut). From all I saw Storey has an exceptionally strong arm, can make all the throws, had very good fundamentals in HS (he has had extensive QB coaching, like a lot of top prospects do, going to a lot of QB camps, etc.), and does well reading the field, not locking in on one receiver. He had no real problems in HS except for a couple of relatively minor knee injuries. But now, in college, you hear people who claim to watch him in practice exclaim that he has a noodle arm, has poor mechanics and footwork, and can't make a lot of throws. Mind you, you don't hear this from Bielema or Enos, but I'm sure they are being diplomatic. Most of the people who tear down Storey are, I suspect, Ricky Town supporters. Even though Town's HS achievements or awards were no greater than Peavey's or Storey's (I could be wrong, but I think both of them were Parade All Americans, but Town was not, and Storey was the Max Preps Small HS Player of the Year). All went to major HS all star games. Peavey and Storey were not as heavily recruited, but only because they shut down their recruiting. Before committing to Arkansas Storey did get an offer from Alabama, but he shut things down in his sophomore year and declined to talk to scouts from other teams. Peavey got a few offers early in the process, but also shut things down. However, in Bielema's first season, when he started looking at a couple of other QBs, Peavey toyed with decommitting and let some scouts know he might be available. Suddenly USC and Ohio State and others were all over him. Bielema stepped in, assured him he would be their only QB in the class, and Peavey once again shut down his recruitment. Had both of them had their recruitment open until, say, the October before NSD, they would both have gotten a ton of offers from Top 40 teams. Town kept his recruitment open a bit longer before committing to USC and then enrolling for the spring semester.

The fact is that the differences between these QBs is not as great as is supposed. A year from now they might decide to go with Storey rather than Town, and ask Town to move to WR. He has the speed and the length you like in a receiver. Storey doesn't have the speed to play other positions, though he has enough to play QB. I've been saying all along that the depth chart is not likely to change any time in the future and that it was going to be tough for Town to pass two very talented QBs, let alone Austin, who is the most experienced and no doubt the choice of the coaches to start this spring and next fall.

The other side of this depth chart is that I think it very unlikely that anyone else cracks that solid four. Depth charts aren't simply a reflection of arm strength and how fast they are if flushed out of the pocket. It is knowledge of the offense, ability to pick go to your second or third receivers, ability to sense the rush, being willing to throw the ball away in the right circumstance instead of forcing the pass. Maybe a kid with a cannon arm isn't accepted by the rest of the offense as a team leader. Maybe a kid locks in on just one receivers. Maybe a kid always prefers to throw to TEs. Or possibly he won't use his TEs. There are dozens and dozens of things that go into kids changing their place on the depth chart, but like I said last fall, they were never going to change Ricky Towns spot on the depth chart. Bielema's post-NSD press conference, where he said that Town had work to do learning the play book was a masterpiece at managing expectations. Here you had all these people saying Town would be the starter next fall, and suddenly he didn't even know the play book! And poof! he was clearly the low man on the totem pole. He doesn't know the offense.

So I'm always happy to hear that we are adding quality walk ons. But they are going to have a heck of a time even breaking into the bottom of the depth chart.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

ricepig

Nice pickup for a walk on, to put this back on the subject.

flippinhogmana

who, you might try using paragraphs...my eyes crossed trying to read what you wrote...
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

HamSammich

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 17, 2016, 03:25:42 pm
who, you might try using paragraphs...my eyes crossed trying to read what you wrote...

I typically don't even try.

On topic, I LOVE this commit. We got in early on this guy and I think he is going to be a star.

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on March 17, 2016, 04:00:00 pm

On topic, I LOVE this commit. We got in early on this guy and I think he is going to be a star.

Early??? This is a 2016 walk on that came to us, lol.

Vantage 8 dude

Welcome to the greatest family in the world, Carson. I can promise you there's NOTHING like being a Hog!! A true life time privilege that only a chosen few ever get to experience. Look forward to watching you and your career on the Hill. WPS :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

lumphog

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: lumphog on March 17, 2016, 04:15:23 pm
Can he play LB ?   ;D
Might as well ask the question as it seems the virtual "lock down" query that gets asked.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HamSammich on March 17, 2016, 04:00:00 pm

Lol.

TX HOG

secneahog

His highlight tape is very impressive. Really like his footwork. Big get here as a walkon.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Dominicanhog

March 18, 2016, 09:04:48 pm #25 Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:25:22 am by Dominicanhog
Quote from: TX HOG on March 18, 2016, 03:19:27 pm
Yeah. 3 star walk on?

I have to admit... I'm impressed with the talent they have assembled at QB, in a very short time.. weather they pan out or not, we'll see, but 6-3, 6-4 smart kids with good film... maybe it's Enos and he is the great communicator...

also, can't hurt how BA has moved up the boards... many saw his development and CBB and Enos could be reaping some reward

LA Football fan

You can never have enough talented qbs on your roster.  The difference between good and great is usually mental, not physical.  Most have all the physical tools required to be a great qb in college or they wouldn't have gotten an offer.  The difference is in how they handle having to make split second decisions time after time under pressure that they usually never had in high school.  Recognizing complex defensive schemes with talented athletes across the board and having much tighter windows to throw into.  Being able to check down quickly when your first option is suddenly out the window.   Enos has shown he can develop a qb to be a force to be reckoned with.  Giving him as many options as possible bodes well for us having some highly skilled qbs ready to step onto the field and make plays.

bennyl08

Disagree, whosiskid. Granted, it depends on the student's career aspirations. As it sits right now, every qb from Peavey onwards would get at most one year to play quarterback. If you want to go on to the NFL, that is not your recipe for success. I can't think any qb who have gone one and done to have any level of success in the NFL. Even Newton started a full year in JUCO. Only having one year of starting experience at any position is considered a negative, but is especially so for a qb. If you want to be drafted in the first 4 rounds, you almost always need to have 2 years starting experience. For Peavey and Austin, losing this year's qb battle and assuming you don't take over the incumbent, 2 years of starting won't happen barring something terrible happening to the starter. If either have the goal of playing in the NFL, it is in their own best interest to transfer. Especially Peavey who could sit out a year and play for 2 somewhere else. Similarly for Town and Storey. Let's assume Austin wins and holds on to the starting position for his tenure here at fayetteville. Whoever loses the qb battle b/w those two guys will have it in their best interest to transfer if their interest is playing in the NFL.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SamBuckhart

Welcome, Carson Proctor. Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Styflin

Quote from: whosiskid on March 17, 2016, 02:29:28 pm
I think I'm one of the few who doesn't think that we lose any QBs this summer or spring. We might lose some next spring, as in a year, but for now we are safe, as long as one thing happens.

The current depth chart, excluding next fall's QB, who will surely redshirt (if he doesn't, we'd have three scholarship freshman QBs).

Austin Allen
Rafe Peavey
Ty Storey
Ricky Town

Town promised - it was a condition for Arkansas giving him a spot on the team - that he will not transfer if he doesn't like his place in the depth chart. That is key. That means that the coaches can manage expectations for all the players.

I believe that unless some player really blows up - and that would probably be either Peavey or Storey - the depth chart is going to stay the same all the way through the spring and into next fall. We know that Town has had some problems learning the play book, so he is definitely behind the other QBs.

As long as the depth chart stays the way it is right now, no one is likely to leave. The chart seems to be based on seniority and players can accept that, as long as it is adhered to. The others are even likely to support Austin as he takes his turn. And after he leaves, they will support Rafe as he takes his shot. And then we'll have our first battle. The greatest gladiator match in . . . oh, sorry. Seen too many movie previews lately. Storey and Town battle it out. But I think that well before they reach the point where a decision has to be made. There are a lot of really silly things being said about Town and Storey. I think those who were claiming he would start next fall have largely shut up since Bielema has made it clear that he has some catching up to do. A lot of that is not his fault. It is standard under Bielema that the lowest QB on the depth chart run the practice squad team. So Town did that this year. Peavey did it last year and Duwop Mitchell the year before that (if I have my years straight). That means you get to take a lot of snaps, but they aren't really snaps that help integrate you into the team. I watched videos of Storey in every game he played in high school (thank you HUDL) and at the Elite 11 regionals (where he shone as a junior and would have gone to the finals except only seniors are eligible - he did very well as a senior despite nursing a leg injury, but he just missed the cut). From all I saw Storey has an exceptionally strong arm, can make all the throws, had very good fundamentals in HS (he has had extensive QB coaching, like a lot of top prospects do, going to a lot of QB camps, etc.), and does well reading the field, not locking in on one receiver. He had no real problems in HS except for a couple of relatively minor knee injuries. But now, in college, you hear people who claim to watch him in practice exclaim that he has a noodle arm, has poor mechanics and footwork, and can't make a lot of throws. Mind you, you don't hear this from Bielema or Enos, but I'm sure they are being diplomatic. Most of the people who tear down Storey are, I suspect, Ricky Town supporters. Even though Town's HS achievements or awards were no greater than Peavey's or Storey's (I could be wrong, but I think both of them were Parade All Americans, but Town was not, and Storey was the Max Preps Small HS Player of the Year). All went to major HS all star games. Peavey and Storey were not as heavily recruited, but only because they shut down their recruiting. Before committing to Arkansas Storey did get an offer from Alabama, but he shut things down in his sophomore year and declined to talk to scouts from other teams. Peavey got a few offers early in the process, but also shut things down. However, in Bielema's first season, when he started looking at a couple of other QBs, Peavey toyed with decommitting and let some scouts know he might be available. Suddenly USC and Ohio State and others were all over him. Bielema stepped in, assured him he would be their only QB in the class, and Peavey once again shut down his recruitment. Had both of them had their recruitment open until, say, the October before NSD, they would both have gotten a ton of offers from Top 40 teams. Town kept his recruitment open a bit longer before committing to USC and then enrolling for the spring semester.

The fact is that the differences between these QBs is not as great as is supposed. A year from now they might decide to go with Storey rather than Town, and ask Town to move to WR. He has the speed and the length you like in a receiver. Storey doesn't have the speed to play other positions, though he has enough to play QB. I've been saying all along that the depth chart is not likely to change any time in the future and that it was going to be tough for Town to pass two very talented QBs, let alone Austin, who is the most experienced and no doubt the choice of the coaches to start this spring and next fall.

The other side of this depth chart is that I think it very unlikely that anyone else cracks that solid four. Depth charts aren't simply a reflection of arm strength and how fast they are if flushed out of the pocket. It is knowledge of the offense, ability to pick go to your second or third receivers, ability to sense the rush, being willing to throw the ball away in the right circumstance instead of forcing the pass. Maybe a kid with a cannon arm isn't accepted by the rest of the offense as a team leader. Maybe a kid locks in on just one receivers. Maybe a kid always prefers to throw to TEs. Or possibly he won't use his TEs. There are dozens and dozens of things that go into kids changing their place on the depth chart, but like I said last fall, they were never going to change Ricky Towns spot on the depth chart. Bielema's post-NSD press conference, where he said that Town had work to do learning the play book was a masterpiece at managing expectations. Here you had all these people saying Town would be the starter next fall, and suddenly he didn't even know the play book! And poof! he was clearly the low man on the totem pole. He doesn't know the offense.

So I'm always happy to hear that we are adding quality walk ons. But they are going to have a heck of a time even breaking into the bottom of the depth chart.

Say what? All kinds of loose and incorrect things in this post.