Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4* OT Kevin Jarvis names Hogs leader

Started by CallThoseHawgs, February 11, 2016, 07:29:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogNDas

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 17, 2016, 01:27:49 pm
This is key. I don't have the answer but we need to figure out how to push successfully for early commitments. The staff is good at identifying early but taking the next step and getting early commitments has the potential to change the face of Arkansas recruiting to an extent, IMO
Actually, what everyone else is doing is what we should incorporate a little more.....They get on the talent we identify and we should not be scared to go after the offers they have made!!....Our pool is too small....

Wildhog

Quote from: HogNDas on February 17, 2016, 01:43:24 pm
Actually, what everyone else is doing is what we should incorporate a little more.....They get on the talent we identify and we should not be scared to go after the offers they have made!!....Our pool is too small....

We need to stop waiting forever to extend offers to kids that we will ABSOLUTELY end up offering later, anyway.  I understand that CBB wants the offer to "mean something," but we're just not there as a program, yet.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogNDas

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 01:45:04 pm
We need to stop waiting forever to extend offers to kids that we will ABSOLUTELY end up offering later, anyway.  I understand that CBB wants the offer to "mean something," but we're just not there as a program, yet.
Yeah, what he said!!!!

ricepig

I just really think he has this process and doesn't plan on changing it. I guess we'll see if we deviate from it going forward.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2016, 01:56:10 pm
I just really think he has this process and doesn't plan on changing it. I guess we'll see if we deviate from it going forward.

You're probably right.
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

I think when you get an offer from us it also means you can committ immediately or after a campus visit. Where as bama/auburn/florida/Michigan/etc their offers do not mean you can committ. I think that has just as much to do about our process

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 17, 2016, 02:32:29 pm
I think when you get an offer from us it also means you can committ immediately or after a campus visit. Where as bama/auburn/florida/Michigan/etc their offers do not mean you can committ. I think that has just as much to do about our process

Well, you just named some of the best recruiting programs in the country, so they're doing something right.

I know, I know...  we're not _______
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogNDas

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 02:34:46 pm
Well, you just named some of the best recruiting programs in the country, so they're doing something right.

I know, I know...  we're not _______
You're right, when those programs extend an offer, they do it with the caveat that, "we are only taking X number of OL or DL or CB's", (whatever the case) and that once we fill our needs, the offers are withdrawn.....so, yes, there are stipulations, but none saying you can't commit now.... A few offers are "held back" for the "can't refuse" guys...the ones that you will ALWAYS make room for.....

razorbackkid

I'm excited that we are the leader, but it's way to early to be counting chickens, those shells are sometimes tough to crack.

Recruiting has taught my mind to wait for the L.O.I., but it can't damper my spirit in hope.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

jackflash

do you think we will two from Illinois this year?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 12, 2016, 11:44:49 am
While I understand that philosophy and like it in theory, I don't really like it in reality for a school like Arkansas.  It makes us late to the party often times and when a kid has 12 offers from the big boys before we get around to doing our due diligence, it makes him think much less of the offer.  I know it says something that if you get an offer from Arkansas, it is much more special than an offer from a school that offers every kid in the top 250 recruits in the nation, but most of these kids don't look at it that way (or at least don't care enough for it to make a true difference).
We very well may not get this young man in the end. However, "being late to the party" isn't likely going to be the reason. And of course when you say that "most of these kids don't look at an Arkansas offer as being more special than another school", it apparently DOES in certain cases. Good grief!!

razorbacker3

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 12, 2016, 09:09:33 am
Hmmm, Mr. Jarvis, get prepared to be graded DOWN from a 4* to a high 3* in the not too distant future.

Sorry.
Was he a 4* on 247? He's a 3* now.
Also since we offered , Maryland, Auburn, Michigan and Michigan State have offered.
Kevin, are the Razorbacks still No. 1? Hope so.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: razorbacker3 on March 07, 2016, 05:53:52 pm
Was he a 4* on 247? He's a 3* now.
Also since we offered , Maryland, Auburn, Michigan and Michigan State have offered.
Kevin, are the Razorbacks still No. 1? Hope so.

247 still shows Jarvis as a 4 star. A bunch of Michigan and/or Auburn fans must have bought a boat load of VIP subscriptions. That will elevate a kid's ranking.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

hawgfan4life

How freaking hard is it to understand that coaches can be recruiting equally hard recruiting a kid regardless of whether an offer has been made or not.  If a kid can't respect AR doing due diligence and once offered, it is solid, then their parents likely can and will love AR for doing it the right way.  If it is all about when the offer arrives, that is a character trait we do not need and the player is NOT uncommon.

Please keep doing it the way we are!  It is gaining more and more respect nationally and is a plus far more than any potential negative

rljjr

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 07, 2016, 09:27:35 pm
How freaking hard is it to understand that coaches can be recruiting equally hard recruiting a kid regardless of whether an offer has been made or not.  If a kid can't respect AR doing due diligence and once offered, it is solid, then their parents likely can and will love AR for doing it the right way.  If it is all about when the offer arrives, that is a character trait we do not need and the player is NOT uncommon.

Please keep doing it the way we are!  It is gaining more and more respect nationally and is a plus far more than any potential negative

This. It's also a very subtle message that Arkansas is more than just football. Get your academics in order, be a solid citizen, and there won't be any issues. Uncommon in today's football recruiting world.

razorbacker3

On the composite score he is a 3* ...my bad

Hoggish1

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 12, 2016, 09:09:33 am
Hmmm, Mr. Jarvis, get prepared to be graded DOWN from a 4* to a high 3* in the not too distant future.

Sorry.

Oh really? Why do you say stuff like that...?  Let us in on your wisdom.

LRrazorback

Any idea how the hiring of new Illinois coach Smith, will effect his recruitment?

navyhog24

HOGINTENNESSEE

ricepig

HOGINTENNESSEE

March 31, 2016, 01:55:31 pm #71 Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:12:00 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: ricepig on March 31, 2016, 01:54:11 pm
This guy's says it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor

https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/715606262180761604

Germans......

PorkRinds

Now Anderson needs to flip him.  Still plenty of time.

CattleCorn

It's prima donna.  Not premadonna.   :-*

RazorWhacker

Quote from: CattleCorn on March 31, 2016, 03:10:07 pm
It's prima donna.  Not premadonna.   :-*

Well, unless you're talking about  Cher. She was pre Madonna.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

AirForceHog

If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

songofthesword

April 03, 2016, 07:28:39 am #77 Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 07:44:34 am by songofthesword
Quote from: Mike_e on February 12, 2016, 04:45:56 pm
OK, so what happens if we throw out a bunch of offers and get a couple of high profile kids?  Except they turn out to premadonnas?

What happens if they demand instant playing time but aren't (yet) better than the guys ahead of them?  Do they get mad and walk?  That's not good for your retention rate and our program seems to be geared to thrive on 3rd, 4th and 5th year players.

The thing about 5star players is that they are supposed to be able to come in and help right away but if you have built it right your team doesn't need instant help.  Unless you're like a bama or a tigger and you have to keep replacing juniors who leave for the NFL and can convince a kid that he can be a one and done type if he'll just sit for a couple of years you risk your chemistry and for a team that has to be at peak in all aspects that ain't good.

Irl I own a website development company. For years  I cherry picked my clients, at the first  sign of ttoyble, I  out I don't care  how much I ey I'm leaving on the table because I  cost g myself money in the long run , if u give you 10 references and show a clear understanding of the project and you have a problem  paying 500 dollars on a 4000 dollar job once you approved the design vye. If I have to chase you down for feedback  bye. If you can't clearly layout exactly  what you want in full detail, i, e if you n haven't put serious thought in your project, I cm build what you  want, if you don't  even know what you want   bye

Pretty  much doubled  revenue from 2012 to 2014, then last 5ear it tripled..because not only did I have good clients, those good clients  kept coming back

Around August  last year4, after ludtdning to my project manager i get the brightest  udea.. start  shot gunning  ids to companies then spend time with the ones who respond. In in 3 week I had made more money  then I gad made from March -July 

I lost my first job in almost 3 years about 2 weeks later . Then another, then I had a client that had a habit of calling at 2 am to go over his site

I had a client that I literally just got rid of last week lol, he'd check the work, find something he didn't like mind ask him is this all the changes you want  ? HEd say yesm wedding ut, he'd find something  ejse, which took a week cause he had a demanding job. The darn went on for almost 6 monts. Had I been paying attention  to the project  and not the sticker  I would have followed obe of my iron clad rules I don't deal with middleman  if I can't talk to the person who is writing my check  ill pass .

On top of that    to get all the work done k gs to hurry and hire people and nor vet them like I usually do.

To make a long story short 0 in 3 weeks  I sild.....11 projects and  we finished nd got paid for......4 of them. One had us start m went o  vacation and b0 never responded againm one was the guy above m one guym a pastor no less stole his dite off our server, then filed a charge back and when the credit card company  asked him why is the site you are filing a charge back  for up and running lol he hacked his own [CENSORED] site lol said I did it and I had to pay 2500 dollars..for a site we finished to spec to the letter, one stole my programmer and left lol  0 00one guy said he had funding secured and didn't et

Oh and a guy I fired hacked  my paypal account and sent himself 15k lol. He was a rush hir3

Between expenses and be venue lost  im probably  lost.60k ftom August til last week not including the 15k which though it took a month o got back. Now instead of talking to my cherry picked 2-3 sure thing clients a say, now I'm filing disputes and stuff cleaning up the mess  the left behind 

Lesson learned.

mountainhog

I'm not sure filibuster works on a message board.

hobhog

Quote from: mountainhog on April 03, 2016, 07:55:05 am
I'm not sure filibuster works on a message board.

I hope runs his business better than he types/writes. Didn't understand a word of it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: songofthesword on April 03, 2016, 07:28:39 am
Irl I own a website development company. For years  I cherry picked my clients, at the first  sign of ttoyble, I  out I don't care  how much I ey I'm leaving on the table because I  cost g myself money in the long run , if u give you 10 references and show a clear understanding of the project and you have a problem  paying 500 dollars on a 4000 dollar job once you approved the design vye. If I have to chase you down for feedback  bye. If you can't clearly layout exactly  what you want in full detail, i, e if you n haven't put serious thought in your project, I cm build what you  want, if you don't  even know what you want   bye

Pretty  much doubled  revenue from 2012 to 2014, then last 5ear it tripled..because not only did I have good clients, those good clients  kept coming back

Around August  last year4, after ludtdning to my project manager i get the brightest  udea.. start  shot gunning  ids to companies then spend time with the ones who respond. In in 3 week I had made more money  then I gad made from March -July 

I lost my first job in almost 3 years about 2 weeks later . Then another, then I had a client that had a habit of calling at 2 am to go over his site

I had a client that I literally just got rid of last week lol, he'd check the work, find something he didn't like mind ask him is this all the changes you want  ? HEd say yesm wedding ut, he'd find something  ejse, which took a week cause he had a demanding job. The darn went on for almost 6 monts. Had I been paying attention  to the project  and not the sticker  I would have followed obe of my iron clad rules I don't deal with middleman  if I can't talk to the person who is writing my check  ill pass .

On top of that    to get all the work done k gs to hurry and hire people and nor vet them like I usually do.

To make a long story short 0 in 3 weeks  I sild.....11 projects and  we finished nd got paid for......4 of them. One had us start m went o  vacation and b0 never responded againm one was the guy above m one guym a pastor no less stole his dite off our server, then filed a charge back and when the credit card company  asked him why is the site you are filing a charge back  for up and running lol he hacked his own [CENSORED] site lol said I did it and I had to pay 2500 dollars..for a site we finished to spec to the letter, one stole my programmer and left lol  0 00one guy said he had funding secured and didn't et

Oh and a guy I fired hacked  my paypal account and sent himself 15k lol. He was a rush hir3

Between expenses and be venue lost  im probably  lost.60k ftom August til last week not including the 15k which though it took a month o got back. Now instead of talking to my cherry picked 2-3 sure thing clients a say, now I'm filing disputes and stuff cleaning up the mess  the left behind 

Lesson learned.
I'm sorry to have to ask but would you either be drunk or "high" at the moment you're "writing" this ??? Not sure I've ever seen a post more incomprehensible.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 03, 2016, 09:43:55 am
I'm sorry to have to ask but would you either be drunk or "high" at the moment you're "writing" this ??? Not sure I've ever seen a post more incomprehensible.

Barbara Billingsley died too soon.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 03, 2016, 10:10:57 am
Barbara Billingsley died too soon.
Yeah, where is the "Beav's" mom when we really need her?

Hawgar The Horrible

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hawgXi

Quote from: opineonswine on February 12, 2016, 02:39:04 pm
I LOVE the strategy of taking advantage of Arkansas' geography and going after Midwest recruits who would like to play in the SEC but not be as far away from home.  Fishing in a pond not already fished out by those with "better" bait is a solid strategy.

or put another way:  fayetteville is actually a great place to live & play SEC football.  our location actually gives us a big recruiting advantage with our midwest (and west) recruits

HogNDas

Quote from: hawgXi on April 03, 2016, 02:56:12 pm
or put another way:  fayetteville is actually a great place to live & play SEC football.  our location actually gives us a big recruiting advantage with our midwest (and west) recruits
NO DOUBT!...We can sell our cozy Ozark Mtn (or Boston Mtn, if you prefer) location and recruit with ANY program...I get crazy when folks say, "well, we're just lil ole Arkansaw"....Dangit!, if Ole Piss can get 4 & 5*'s, then I KNOW we can, if we believe we can!!!

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on April 03, 2016, 04:15:46 pm
NO DOUBT!...We can sell our cozy Ozark Mtn (or Boston Mtn, if you prefer) location and recruit with ANY program...I get crazy when folks say, "well, we're just lil ole Arkansaw"....Dangit!, if Ole Piss can get 4 & 5*'s, then I KNOW we can, if we believe we can!!!

So believing will get it done, that's all it takes?

HogNDas

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2016, 04:18:17 pm
So believing will get it done, that's all it takes?
You really think that?  Of course not, but trust me, if you DON'T believe you can recruit with Ole Miss, you can't!....Really, I'm surprised you just dismiss it...YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!......You may not believe we can, BUT I DO!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on April 03, 2016, 04:21:22 pm
You really think that?  Of course not, but trust me, if you DON'T believe you can recruit with Ole Miss, you can't!....Really, I'm surprised you just dismiss it...YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!......You may not believe we can, BUT I DO!!!!

I'm not worried about OM, but you keep up your obsession with their rankings. I'll continue to be satisfied with beating them on the field.

HogNDas

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2016, 04:24:06 pm
I'm not worried about OM, but you keep up your obsession with their rankings. I'll continue to be satisfied with beating them on the field.
Good point...Okay, let's use Bama then...the only reason I use them is they are recruiting well and I think Oxford is not any better venue than F'ville...How bout if we get their talent with OUR coaching!!!... The possibilities are UNLIMITED!!! NC!!!!  No NC w/o good recruiting....

factchecker

I guess we should have offered Mr. Jarvis sooner.  Oh wait.....

February 24, 2016: Offer
Michigan State Spartans offer Kevin Jarvis

February 03, 2016: Offer
Arkansas Razorbacks offer Kevin Jarvis

http://247sports.com/Player/Kevin-Jarvis-81337/TimelineEvents

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HogNDas

I do believe they have finished ahead of us in the SEC every year CBB has been on the hill regardless of the outcome of the game with them... I am grateful for the wins vs OM though!

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on April 03, 2016, 04:25:45 pm
Good point...Okay, let's use Bama then...the only reason I use them is they are recruiting well and I think Oxford is not any better venue than F'ville...How bout if we get their talent with OUR coaching!!!... The possibilities are UNLIMITED!!! NC!!!!  No NC w/o good recruiting....

Who's talent, OM's or Bama's? And isn't talent subjective?

HogNDas

Quote from: factchecker on April 03, 2016, 04:26:18 pm
I guess we should have offered Mr. Jarvis sooner.  Oh wait.....

February 24, 2016: Offer
Michigan State Spartans offer Kevin Jarvis

February 03, 2016: Offer
Arkansas Razorbacks offer Kevin Jarvis

http://247sports.com/Player/Kevin-Jarvis-81337/TimelineEvents
EXACTLY!!!   We won't get EVERY early offer, but we sure won't gettem if we DON'T offer...Thank you FACT!!!

Smokehouse

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 12, 2016, 11:44:49 am
While I understand that philosophy and like it in theory, I don't really like it in reality for a school like Arkansas.  It makes us late to the party often times and when a kid has 12 offers from the big boys before we get around to doing our due diligence, it makes him think much less of the offer.  I know it says something that if you get an offer from Arkansas, it is much more special than an offer from a school that offers every kid in the top 250 recruits in the nation, but most of these kids don't look at it that way (or at least don't care enough for it to make a true difference).

Honestly, though, I doubt if you're a recruit getting a ton of offers from every school that it really makes a difference when Arkansas offers you. Whether we throw out offers at all the 5-stars when everyone else does or take our time, we still need recruiters that talk up why Arkansas should be the choice over traditionally "better" options.

As long as the staff stays in contact and gets both the recruit and his family to listen (which CBB seems to do very well), I don't really mind when they offer. The early offer probably matters more for the diamond-in-the-rough type 2-stars who blow up near the end of recruiting where you can tell them "we recognized your talent before everyone else." That's not the case with the guys getting the Bama offers right now.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

factchecker

Let's see what DeJon Harris, future Hog linebacker, had to say about early offers:

QuoteQ: If you were in charge of the NCAA, what's the one rule you would change with recruiting?

A: Probably offering early. I think a lot of schools offer too many guys too early. I think they offer them because they see potential, but a lot of guys don't actually come out to be what they want them to be.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/recruiting-rewind-with-dejon-harris-bret-bielema-told-me-he-had-to-stop-hearing-about-all-these-alabama-shenanigans#.Vv1ZLsaQFzw.twitter
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HogNDas

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2016, 04:28:41 pm
Who's talent, OM's or Bama's? And isn't talent subjective?
No doubt!...But trust me, Bama is going after 4 & 5*'s...and trusting the critics are correct in their evaluations....which, by the way, sure seem to be!!!!  You can argue all you want, but we AIN'T winning no NC's if we don't have top 10 classes...ain't gonna happen!

factchecker

Quote from: HogNDas on April 03, 2016, 04:30:48 pm
No doubt!...But trust me, Bama is going after 4 & 5*'s...and trusting the critics are correct in their evaluations....which, by the way, sure seem to be!!!!  You can argue all you want, but we AIN'T winning no NC's if we don't have top 10 classes...ain't gonna happen!

Bama isn't trusting any critic.  The critics are trusting Bama.  I've seen a 3 star recruit bump up instantly to a 5 star the MINUTE Bama offered.  I've also seen a 4 star drop to a 3 star the MINUTE Bama revoked the offer.  Who's leading who here?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS