Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4* OT Kevin Jarvis names Hogs leader

Started by CallThoseHawgs, February 11, 2016, 07:29:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CallThoseHawgs

February 11, 2016, 07:29:22 pm Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:16:29 pm by Richard Davenport
2017 Offensive Tackle Kevin Jarvis said Hogs are his number 1 right now on Mr. Davenport's recruiting Thursday radio show.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/feb/11/four-star-offensive-lineman-names-hogs-his-leader/

ARtillahog

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

sickboy

I feel like we're gonna get there. In the next couple of years we're going to have a breakout year on the field and bump up a notch on the SEC totem pole. It feels like.

COCHISE

We're already his #1, more time spent with Coach Anderson should only solidify the interest.

SamBuckhart

Come to the Hill , Mr. Jarvis.  Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

The_Hog_Father

HogNDas

FATHAWG08

Georgia & Bama will be next to offer. I think Bama & TENNER Already have 0ver 100 offers already
I love off season Football!!

JaketheSnake

Sounds like we might be his number one Bc he thinks we are his best offer.
Don't get too excited with a year til NSD

Exit Pursued by a Boar

This is good news. Still, we had Kellen Diesch really, really early as well.

EFBAB

RyeHogFan

You gotta love that last tweet that factchecker put up there.  I love a OL that is mean.  Also, for anyone who is wondering, as of right now he is rated on the 247 Composite as the 30th best OT and #305 overall.  Just thought I'd add that for anyone who doesn't like using Lemmings ratings.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on February 12, 2016, 08:01:42 am
This is good news. Still, we had Kellen Diesch really, really early as well.

EFBAB

Kellen was different kid. We had a good relationship, but he was just different.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on February 11, 2016, 11:41:20 pm
Georgia & Bama will be next to offer. I think Bama & TENNER Already have 0ver 100 offers already

According to 24/7:

Us - 47
Alabama - 144
Auburn - 123
Tenner - 206
Ole Missy - 122
FL - 120
UGA - 122
UK - 226
LSU - 99
MSU - 115
Mizzou - 60
USCe -125
aTm - 58
Vandy - 117

We aren't like other schools that just offer just because. This staff puts in the time to evaluate each prospect they think is a good fit and go from there. I like the way we approach it to be honest. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 12, 2016, 08:53:49 am
Kellen was different kid. We had a good relationship, but he was just different.

Yep. He signed with the Aggies. You've got to be different to do that.

bigdaddyhawg

Hmmm, Mr. Jarvis, get prepared to be graded DOWN from a 4* to a high 3* in the not too distant future.

Sorry.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

passinghog

Polecat

Does he project as a guard in college, or remain an OT?
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: HogNDas on February 11, 2016, 08:53:01 pm
Nice!.... good start for 2017....

I'm excited that he currently has us #1 as well.  We need multiple kids like this for the '17 class.  That being said, a "good start" in my opinion is actually getting commitments, not comments, from kids like this. Here's hoping he pulls the trigger early.  We'll need the momentum

MissippHog

Quote"It's just really fun to hurt people."

Haha, gotta love hearing that from an OL!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Polecat on February 12, 2016, 09:45:46 am
Does he project as a guard in college, or remain an OT?

There's a good (and loaded!!) question.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

The Hogfather

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 12, 2016, 08:55:49 am
According to 24/7:

Us - 47
Alabama - 144
Auburn - 123
Tenner - 206
Ole Missy - 122
FL - 120
UGA - 122
UK - 226
LSU - 99
MSU - 115
Mizzou - 60
USCe -125
aTm - 58
Vandy - 117

We aren't like other schools that just offer just because. This staff puts in the time to evaluate each prospect they think is a good fit and go from there. I like the way we approach it to be honest. 

While I understand that philosophy and like it in theory, I don't really like it in reality for a school like Arkansas.  It makes us late to the party often times and when a kid has 12 offers from the big boys before we get around to doing our due diligence, it makes him think much less of the offer.  I know it says something that if you get an offer from Arkansas, it is much more special than an offer from a school that offers every kid in the top 250 recruits in the nation, but most of these kids don't look at it that way (or at least don't care enough for it to make a true difference).

Cinco de Hogo

This staff has a lot of things going for it but bring late to the party for a top 250 athlete is not one of them except in a rare case and thst will never be enough. Like I've said before there are easily 100 athletes in this country you could identify as a target without too much work.  Those athletes already know themselves they have lots of suiters and they will never be impressed with "late to the party Arkansas".  That is way too many opportunities to just wipe off the books. 

I could list several things we have going for us I just don't feel that is one if them.  Offer the can't misses ASAP and worry about wiping them off your board when and if they fail in the classroom or get arrested five times...few do.  That's why elite teams are elite teams, few do and they go to the teams that have been recruiting them.

Came back and realized this is not the place for this, mods you can delete or move it I don't care.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 12, 2016, 11:44:49 am
While I understand that philosophy and like it in theory, I don't really like it in reality for a school like Arkansas.  It makes us late to the party often times and when a kid has 12 offers from the big boys before we get around to doing our due diligence, it makes him think much less of the offer.  I know it says something that if you get an offer from Arkansas, it is much more special than an offer from a school that offers every kid in the top 250 recruits in the nation, but most of these kids don't look at it that way (or at least don't care enough for it to make a true difference).

While you say that, consider this.  (albeit from memory).  But, while we offer fewer, look at the job our staff has done at the offers and offering early or before anyone else. 

Pollard (we were real early and I believe will be accurate on him, just sad he flipped)
Guidry-you saw LSU and the big boys come calling later, he could have went anywhere
D. Harris- same as Guidry pretty much
Heinrich- I do believe we were very early on him as well

These aren't the only ones I assure you. 

The bama's, Auburns, OSU's of the world (I think you will see USC-E and UGA follow suit) are throwing as many offers out, but their offer's are not commitable.  I don't think we have seen an offer come from this staff that is not commitable.  There is something to be said among many, not all however, that when you get an offer it means you can commit.  Kids over look this with the bama's for right now for the most part, Guidry, Harris, and Heinrich however did not.   

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 12, 2016, 11:44:49 am
Be careful about making blanket statements that you feel applies to virtually every recruit out there. While in some cases it may be true that a kid goes with his first (or one of his first) offers primarily because of that. However, I suspect that just as many, if not more, especially those who are actually interesting in looking at all aspects for the programs/schools that are interested, aren't going to necessarily care when someone offered. For the vast majority of kids we truly want I would hope they'd actually choose us based on far more than the simple reason that we happened to be the first to make a bid. IMO thats a very flimsy excuse or reason to choose or not choose where you're going to spend the next 4 to 5 years of your life. Then again, that's just me.....

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 12, 2016, 12:04:43 pm
This staff has a lot of things going for it but bring late to the party for a top 250 athlete is not one of them except in a rare case and thst will never be enough. Like I've said before there are easily 100 athletes in this country you could identify as a target without too much work.  Those athletes already know themselves they have lots of suiters and they will never be impressed with "late to the party Arkansas".  That is way too many opportunities to just wipe off the books. 

I could list several things we have going for us I just don't feel that is one if them.  Offer the can't misses ASAP and worry about wiping them off your board when and if they fail in the classroom or get arrested five times...few do.  That's why elite teams are elite teams, few do and they go to the teams that have been recruiting them.

Came back and realized this is not the place for this, mods you can delete or move it I don't care.
If interested please check my response to the comments made by the previous poster on virtually the same subject.

Vantage 8 dude

Well if their recruiting philosophies are so successful and fool proof it seems that with the number of offers the 'Bamas, LSUs and others of the world have thrown out by now they should have their '17 class filled already. Oh they haven't yet? Wonder why. Could it be as I suspect most kids actually want to at least take some time to look around and carefully consider where they'll be going for the next four or five years. If so, what an original idea.

opineonswine

I LOVE the strategy of taking advantage of Arkansas' geography and going after Midwest recruits who would like to play in the SEC but not be as far away from home.  Fishing in a pond not already fished out by those with "better" bait is a solid strategy.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 12, 2016, 02:31:12 pm

Well if their recruiting philosophies are so successful and fool proof it seems that with the number of offers the 'Bamas, LSUs and others of the world have thrown out by now they should have their '17 class filled already. Oh they haven't yet? Wonder why. Could it be as I suspect most kids actually want to at least take some time to look around and carefully consider where they'll be going for the next four or five years. If so, what an original idea.

I don't think anyone is arguing that if we had offered 125 kids at this point rather than 47, our class would be filled.  I think most understand that's not the case.  I think the issue is with the overall number or offers we put out more so than the timing of them.  Putting your eggs in too few baskets can come back to bite you.  But everyone has their own philosophy and they certainly are the professionals. 

Wildhog

Quote from: opineonswine on February 12, 2016, 02:39:04 pm
I LOVE the strategy of taking advantage of Arkansas' geography and going after Midwest recruits who would like to play in the SEC but not be as far away from home.  Fishing in a pond not already fished out by those with "better" bait is a solid strategy.

I agree.  You may not get a ton of them, but just 3-5 a year from the midwest would take a lot of the burden off of AR, TX, and LA.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 12, 2016, 02:26:49 pm
If interested please check my response to the comments made by the previous poster on virtually the same subject.

Well yea I'm interested, it's a dicussion, we don't have to agree.

Mike_e

OK, so what happens if we throw out a bunch of offers and get a couple of high profile kids?  Except they turn out to premadonnas?

What happens if they demand instant playing time but aren't (yet) better than the guys ahead of them?  Do they get mad and walk?  That's not good for your retention rate and our program seems to be geared to thrive on 3rd, 4th and 5th year players.

The thing about 5star players is that they are supposed to be able to come in and help right away but if you have built it right your team doesn't need instant help.  Unless you're like a bama or a tigger and you have to keep replacing juniors who leave for the NFL and can convince a kid that he can be a one and done type if he'll just sit for a couple of years you risk your chemistry and for a team that has to be at peak in all aspects that ain't good.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Mike_e on February 12, 2016, 04:45:56 pm
OK, so what happens if we throw out a bunch of offers and get a couple of high profile kids?  Except they turn out to premadonnas?

What happens if they demand instant playing time but aren't (yet) better than the guys ahead of them?  Do they get mad and walk?  That's not good for your retention rate and our program seems to be geared to thrive on 3rd, 4th and 5th year players.

The thing about 5star players is that they are supposed to be able to come in and help right away but if you have built it right your team doesn't need instant help.  Unless you're like a bama or a tigger and you have to keep replacing juniors who leave for the NFL and can convince a kid that he can be a one and done type if he'll just sit for a couple of years you risk your chemistry and for a team that has to be at peak in all aspects that ain't good.

I agree with your point but you can handle that before NSD by being up front with the guy.  It has nothing to do with offering him at any particular time.  Plus I would say, if they were going to play at Bama in year two or three they would play a lot more at Arkansas in year one and two.  We do play freshmen you know.

passinghog

Quote from: Mike_e on February 12, 2016, 04:45:56 pm

It shouldn't matter if some players are premadonnas, to be honest. History has shown the most effective leaders and winningest head coaches to be the best at managing different egos and personalities. If a player has his grades in order, and doesn't get in any off the field trouble, but has a big ego, I don't see a situation where Arkansas won't recruit him. You can learn how to be a teammate. I'll take the Jimmies and Joes with talent 1000% of the time and figure out how to manage their ego.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 12, 2016, 02:49:53 pm
I don't think anyone is arguing that if we had offered 125 kids at this point rather than 47, our class would be filled.  I think most understand that's not the case.  I think the issue is with the overall number or offers we put out more so than the timing of them.  Putting your eggs in too few baskets can come back to bite you.  But everyone has their own philosophy and they certainly are the professionals.
While I acknowledge it may be difficult for some to grasp but we are only in the middle of February-only some two weeks or so out from the most recent NSD. I realize too that several schools have already offered to every kid and his sister who not only play football in this country, but anywhere in the universe, the process for '17 is still very much in its early stages. IF we are still sitting on similar offer numbers over the next several months then I MIGHT have some different feelings. However, at this time I honestly can't get too damn worked up that we haven't followed the leads of some other programs. We've all seen that CBB has his own method of doing things. Sometimes it's successful, sometimes it isn't; however, in the end I feel his hits typically far out number his misses.

Vantage 8 dude

February 12, 2016, 06:48:01 pm #37 Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:36:27 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: Showtimehog on February 12, 2016, 06:25:58 pm
It shouldn't matter if some players are premadonnas, to be honest. History has shown the most effective leaders and winningest head coaches to be the best at managing different egos and personalities. If a player has his grades in order, and doesn't get in any off the field trouble, but has a big ego, I don't see a situation where Arkansas won't recruit him. You can learn how to be a teammate. I'll take the Jimmies and Joes with talent 1000% of the time and figure out how to manage their ego.
I can speak from personal experience when it comes to the issue of having to manage a group of big egos and premadonnas: Even the greatest leaders and managers in the world have a much easier time being successful when the number of big ego types he's watching over is smaller than not.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 12, 2016, 06:48:01 pm
I can speak from personal experience when it comes to the issue of having to manage a group of big egos and premadonnas: Even the greatest leaders and managers in the world have a much easier time being successful   when the number of big ego types he's watching over is smaller than not.

This is true.  You have to have 95% team first guys or the ego maniacs can wreck things.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 12, 2016, 04:30:16 pm
Well yea I'm interested, it's a dicussion, we don't have to agree.
And please quote where I said we necessarily have to?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 12, 2016, 11:35:37 pm
And please quote where I said we necessarily have to?

Ok, I guess I came across wrong, I only meant I was interested in you opinion even if we don't agree 100%, therefore I read what you posted.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 12, 2016, 08:23:27 pm
This is true.  You have to have 95% team first guys or the ego maniacs can wreck things.

Not if you have the people skills to handle them.  Do you not think CBB could do that if most of the coaches in the top ten are doing it?  Faith for when we get there! 

whosiskid

Quote from: CallThoseHawgs on February 11, 2016, 07:29:22 pm
2017 Offensive Tackle Kevin Jarvis said Hogs are his number 1 right now on Mr. Davenport's recruiting Thursday radio show.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/feb/11/four-star-offensive-lineman-names-hogs-his-leader/

He'll get a lot of local pressure to stay in Big Ten country, but I would love to get this guy. Ragnow stuck with us as one possibility (there were rumors at the time that we were his #2 choice after Florida State and that he committed to us when FSU ran out of spots), though if I remember he did keep Minnesota as a possibility along with us and FSU. Love this kids size. If he could get with Coach Herbert they could transform him into a real monster of an OT.

Fingers crossed!
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Mike_e

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 13, 2016, 01:38:32 am
Not if you have the people skills to handle them.  Do you not think CBB could do that if most of the coaches in the top ten are doing it?  Faith for when we get there!

You do realize that the coaching staff has very limited time with the players, right?

Even with S&C you get far less than the 60 or so hours of a normal work week.

(yeah, if you're working with massive egos then you are most likely working a lot more than a 40 hour week)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Philip Seaton

hobhog

Quote from: opineonswine on February 12, 2016, 02:39:04 pm

That's why we don't need OU and OSU in the SEC...,

Wildhog

Auburn just offered.  It seems like other SEC staffs just let us do their leg work.
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 11:21:38 am
Auburn just offered.  It seems like other SEC staffs just let us do their leg work.

I definitely think that it takes a player and puts them on their radar that wasn't previously. 

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 17, 2016, 11:29:12 am
I definitely think that it takes a player and puts them on their radar that wasn't previously. 

This is why you need good recruiters on staff.  Hopefully Coach Anderson can get this guy committed soon, before his recruitment blows up.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 11:32:17 am
This is why you need good recruiters on staff.  Hopefully Coach Anderson can get this guy committed soon, before his recruitment blows up.

This is key. I don't have the answer but we need to figure out how to push successfully for early commitments. The staff is good at identifying early but taking the next step and getting early commitments has the potential to change the face of Arkansas recruiting to an extent, IMO