Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Omaha '12 Thread: CWS game 4 Arkansas vs SC round 3

Started by maxre567, June 01, 2012, 09:41:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ROBLYNNM

Quote from: tpatte02 on June 22, 2012, 11:55:46 pm
That umpire should be removed from the field permanently. Sportscenter showed four called third strikes against us and ever single one was outside the strike zone.   I hope ArizOna destroys the cOcks
Right there with you....Hope Arizona destroys South Carolina...

PonderinHog

Quote from: code red on June 22, 2012, 11:54:09 pm
How did those runners get there???  I am as disapponted as anyone here....I think we are barking up the wrong tree.  I am happy to have seen UofA win a Nat Champ in basketball, I long for them to win another one in any sport.  But, we do not have a complete team.  It would be one thing if we had a lot of kids that could run and steal bases...but, our pitching is everything.  I mean good grief......some of our hitters went O for the CWS.
We stole just as many bases tonight as their catcher had given up all season.

Bebop

Quote from: GB-Razorback on June 22, 2012, 11:31:40 pm
Nail meet hammer.

Yep, that's my opinion. They didn't beat us. They won on walks.

snoblind

Quote from: code red on June 22, 2012, 11:33:16 pm
OK so....any of you guys ever called balls and strikes???  Yeah he missed a few but....you really think he had an agenda vs. the HOGS??

yes

razCzar

Quote from: tpatte02 on June 22, 2012, 11:55:46 pm
I hope ArizOna destroys the cOcks

You can bet they will, if you've seen 'em much.  I'll tune in just for that. 

Wahls

I've never seen such a good baseball team be SO bad at hitting the ball the other way.

We cannot do ANYTHING with a pitch outside but either flail at it or hit it at the shortstop.

I dunno if it is Butler or the players or what, but if we can't figure that out, we're always going to be limited at the plate.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

Iwastherein1969

June 23, 2012, 12:06:20 am #8806 Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:09:01 am by Iwastherein1969
uh, let's see, anyone give any consideration to the possibility that maybe, just maybe Suggs shouldn't have been pulled....jesta awferrin an opinion...it was a great run, an expected run into the NCAA Regional, then Super REgional then CWS and I enjoyed 99% of it....am headed back to my home in MMQB, so to all you great Diamond Hog fans, see ya next February if the "Good Lord is willin' and the creeks don't rise"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

razCzar

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on June 23, 2012, 12:06:20 am
uh, let's see, anyone give any consideration to the possibility that maybe, just maybe Suggs shouldn't have been pulled....jesta awferrin an opinion

ONLY in hindsight.

Iwastherein1969

Wahls

Please don't smite me:

But we were really lucky to get where we were. I mean just think back to all the lucky breaks we got on our way here. That kid from Baylor booted the ball TWICE, we always got the clutch hit we needed, and we always found a way.

I know that it is really bad to go out like that, but all things considered, finishing third is pretty freakin' incredible.
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

code red

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 23, 2012, 12:00:16 am
We stole just as many bases tonight as their catcher had given up all season.
You guys can pick on me all you want....we lost and it sucks.  But, again you miss my point...this team went as further than it should have.  Yeah, snuck a steal with 2 outs tonite but that has not been our forte all year and you know it.  We need a more complete team  IMHO.....I gotta play in a tourny tomorrow good nite to you all.  Great season.  I love the strong debates over here in EI...just think we need to acknowledge some of our weaknesses as well.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Wahls on June 23, 2012, 12:11:11 am
Please don't smite me:

But we were really lucky to get where we were. I mean just think back to all the lucky breaks we got on our way here. That kid from Baylor booted the ball TWICE, we always got the clutch hit we needed, and we always found a way.

I know that it is really bad to go out like that, but all things considered, finishing third is pretty freakin' incredible.
Folks in EI get there feelings hurt very easily.....you will get smited LOL.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Barman91

First post in here, even though I have watched and lived Hog baseball since the McReynolds, etc. era.

Haven't read this entire thread but I will say a couple of things:

One, we need a better approach at the plate.  Our guys go up with no damn clue, no plan, no understanding of what the situation requires.  Sunshine congratulated one tonight for grounding to third with one out, runners on second and third.  Runners were held while batter was thrown out at first.  Really Rick? 

Two, anyone hoping for an SC loss to Arizona is pathetic.  Do not hold it against SC for winning two straight against us - even though tonight was SC and Costello vs. our Hogs.  It sickens me when any SEC team's fans root against another's when playing outside conferences.  SC loses and, all of a sudden, we didn't have such a great year.

Wahls

Quote from: code red on June 23, 2012, 12:15:13 am
You guys can pick on me all you want....we lost and it sucks.  But, again you miss my point...this team went as further than it should have.

I've been saying this for awhile and people have been getting upset with me. I really don't think it is an insult to the team that they play over their heads and get lucky either, though.

tpatte02

Here are some stills from the first Sportscenter segment on our game after the conclusion.  These were third strike calls:

bsking

Quote from: Wahls on June 23, 2012, 12:22:48 am
I've been saying this for awhile and people have been getting upset with me. I really don't think it is an insult to the team that they play over their heads and get lucky either, though.

Lucky yes.

Playing over their heads no.  Far from it.

Wahls

Quote from: bsking on June 23, 2012, 12:24:11 am
Lucky yes.

Playing over their heads no.  Far from it.

Honestly... I really think that outside of Fico and Reynolds that we genuinely just don't have guys that can hit at the college level and at times they play better than what they are and fool us.

Kevin

our offense never could to our head level, let alone over our heads.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wahls

Quote from: tpatte02 on June 23, 2012, 12:23:55 am
Here are some stills from the first Sportscenter segment on our game after the conclusion.  These were third strike calls:

Wow.

PonderinHog

Quote from: code red on June 23, 2012, 12:15:13 am
You guys can pick on me all you want....we lost and it sucks.  But, again you miss my point...this team went as further than it should have.  Yeah, snuck a steal with 2 outs tonite but that has not been our forte all year and you know it.  We need a more complete team  IMHO.....I gotta play in a tourny tomorrow good nite to you all.  Great season.  I love the strong debates over here in EI...just think we need to acknowledge some of our weaknesses as well.
I agree with some of your points but not all of them.  We are also a pretty good defensive team.  We do need to take these games out the the umps' hands, for sure.

Iwastherein1969

our best player needed to be our best player for us to win it all, and sad to say, he picked a bad time to go cold....happens to every baseball player if you play long enough...that's the way it goes

ScottWingo

Wahls

Quote from: ScottWingo on June 23, 2012, 12:42:23 am
Ump sucked both ways

Of course. However his incompetency benefitted one team one more than the other because of the circumstances they happened in.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ROBLYNNM

Ump sucked both ways
[/quote
Ump sucked both ways
Costello hasn't screwed your team in the past as he has us and he continued to do so this week, only thing is we were able to keep him from taking the game away from us the first of the week.  Tonight he made certain we could not control our own fate.  As stated by our coach....we do not walk 9 batters ever.....Explain that Mr. Know-it-all. The Arkansas boys deserved much better than what they got tonight.  Enjoy your win that was given to you.  Go celebrate with your fans. 

Flatline

I will add that most national outlets are talking about the balls and strikes that were called tonight.

Flatline

I hope that Jeff Long will file a complaint but we will never hear about it.

Wahls

Quote from: Flatline on June 23, 2012, 01:08:45 am
I will add that most national outlets are talking about the balls and strikes that were called tonight.

His strike zone was worse in Tempe and this fool is still calling meaningful games two years later. It apparently doesn't matter.

razCzar

Quote from: Flatline on June 23, 2012, 01:08:45 am

Which ones?

razCzar

Quote from: Flatline on June 23, 2012, 01:15:12 am
http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2012/6/23/3112171/2012-college-world-series-south-carolina-3-arkansas-2-umpires

TSK is one of best around, especially during fb season.  What's very notable is it a SB-Nation South Carolina site run by some real sharp sports guys.

GOOD FOR THEM!

Hogz87

Quote from: tpatte02 on June 23, 2012, 12:23:55 am

Unbelievable.  Sad thing is, only one of those pitches is kinda sorta close to a strike.

I'd love to get stills of the "balls" that walked in SCar's 2nd and 3rd runs.

Hogz87

Quote from: ScottWingo on June 23, 2012, 01:27:53 am
A blog? That's what you bring to the table?  Aaron Fitt and Kendall Rogers actual college baseball pundits(probably the two biggest one) have both said the ump was bad both ways, and he was--hell, he took a run away from us. 

On that bang-bang double play at first?  They showed the replay at least half a dozen times the rest of the game and, every I saw it I thought it was 50/50.  In that situation, the runner is going to be called out 9 times out of 10.  I'll admit, live it looked like he was safe, but the replay showed the ball arrived Fic's glove at basically the exact same time the SCar runner stepped on first. 

Hogz87

Quote from: ScottWingo on June 23, 2012, 01:29:21 am
Yes, because everyone knows the pitch tracker is 100 percent accurate

For two of those you don't even need the pitch tracker to see he made the wrong call.

ROBLYNNM

A blog? That's what you bring to the table?  Aaron Fitt and Kendall Rogers actual college baseball pundits(probably the two biggest one) have both said the ump was bad both ways, and he was--hell, he took a run away from us. 
And he gave you two runs.....so what's your point?  Should have at least gone in to extra innings.  You won...so why argue on our message board? For once others saw the truth as well and agree BOTH teams deserved better than what was shown this evening. 

razCzar

You're not really Scott Wingo, are you?  Just looked at both sites you mentioned, and neither has yet to post game articles.  If it's twitter you're talking about, give the links.

bsking

It is.  It uses a system of 3 cameras with motion sensing and triangulates the pitch position.  Each pitch will normally register about 30 data points.  So no it isn't 100% accurate but it isn't off anywhere close to an inch.

jry04

Quote from: ScottWingo on June 23, 2012, 01:39:09 am
Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG
I would agree with my colleague @aaronfitt. The umpire is flat out terrible, but don't think there's a "Fix" in like some are claiming. #CWS
Expand
Reply  Retweet  Favorite
That says  nothing about it being bad both ways. Just suggesting he was bad, but nothing more than that. Yes, he took a run away from SC, but that never happens if he calls the strike out like he should have. Arkansas had 4 batters strike out on pitches well off the plate. Meanwhile, SC had 3 or 4 batters walk on pitches that hit the strike zone. It was not even close to consistent. SC were getting calls over the opposite batter's box, while Arkansas weren't even getting pitches at the knees over the plate.

Typically I wouldn't be mad about the walk Bax gave up because they were balls. However, when Arkansas was at the plate Bax's last two pitches that were called balls were called strikes on us probably 5 or 6 times. It cheated us out of multiple at bats, while giving SC multiple base runners. Bigham was safe in his play at third last night, so your play at the plate just balances it out in my opinion. The strike zone was nowhere near in your even.

ROBLYNNM

Quote from: ScottWingo on June 23, 2012, 01:39:09 am
Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG
I would agree with my colleague @aaronfitt. The umpire is flat out terrible, but don't think there's a "Fix" in like some are claiming. #CWS
Expand
Reply  Retweet  Favorite
Has Costello screwed your team in the past?  Didn't think so...so it is easy to say the game wasn't fixed since your team does not have a history with Costello.  Nice try to defend a poorly called game.  You won...move on and leave the Razorback fans alone.  It is what it is...but the better team TONIGHT..did not win.  The better team last night did win...as well as the better team earlier this week.

Wahls

So you debunk pundits from a website by posting pundits from another website. Logical.

...and how can a run be "taken away from us" if you shouldn't have been in the situation to get another run to begin with?

razCzar

This is the tweet Kendall Rogers was agreeing with, that includes the link to the 2010 article -

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt:
Not the first time Hogs have been unhappy with Perry Costello... MT @arkyhawg: interesting article from 2 yrs ago 
http://arkansas.scout.com/2/976957.html

PorkSoda

just wanted to pop in and say congrats to the team on a good season.

my only gripe is walking a run in.  if you cant get it over the plate in that situation, then you are giving the game away.

all in all another good season, hope we are back in the cws next year
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

tpatte02

Do you need more proof?  Jesus Christ....

Ray Piggers

Where is the catchers mitt? lol

Lord.. Go celebrate. You scored 1 run and beat us 3-2 congrats
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

ScottWingo

Quote from: razCzar on June 23, 2012, 01:55:14 am
This is the tweet Kendall Rogers was agreeing with, that includes the link to the 2010 article -

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt:
Not the first time Hogs have been unhappy with Perry Costello... MT @arkyhawg: interesting article from 2 yrs ago 
http://arkansas.scout.com/2/976957.html

No it isn't.  The tweet he was agreeing with was IN his tweet, lol, do you have any idea how twitter works?

ScottWingo

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on June 23, 2012, 02:45:41 am
Where is the catchers mitt? lol

Lord.. Go celebrate. You scored 1 run and beat us 3-2 congrats

Yes, I do, thanks for proving my point.  where the ball is caught ISN'T where the ball passed over the plate.

ROBLYNNM

Quote from: ScottWingo on June 23, 2012, 03:13:32 am
Yes, I do, thanks for proving my point.  where the ball is caught ISN'T where the ball passed over the plate.
So according to your point, you are also agreeing that 90% of the pitches called balls by Costello were NOT balls and our pitchers were screwed by his calls. 

Iwastherein1969

June 23, 2012, 06:03:07 am #8847 Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 06:04:53 am by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: ScottWingo on June 23, 2012, 03:13:32 am
the best thing you can do is carry your ass back to CockyTalk and do whatever it is that you guys do over there....in two weeks no one but the winning team will remember nor likely care who won the CWS....but people will care when we whip your asses in football for 14th time out of 20

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: IronHog on June 22, 2012, 11:37:55 pm
I've seen cheating umps and it looked just like that.

Like I said I could care less....... that was brutal.
How much less could you care?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Barman91 on June 23, 2012, 12:21:18 am
First post in here, even though I have watched and lived Hog baseball since the McReynolds, etc. era.

Haven't read this entire thread but I will say a couple of things:

One, we need a better approach at the plate.  Our guys go up with no damn clue, no plan, no understanding of what the situation requires.  Sunshine congratulated one tonight for grounding to third with one out, runners on second and third.  Runners were held while batter was thrown out at first.  Really Rick? 

Two, anyone hoping for an SC loss to Arizona is pathetic.  Do not hold it against SC for winning two straight against us - even though tonight was SC and Costello vs. our Hogs.  It sickens me when any SEC team's fans root against another's when playing outside conferences.  SC loses and, all of a sudden, we didn't have such a great year.

There are a lot of petty and immature Hog fans. If a team beats the Hogs, the fans want that team to get killed in future. I do not. I hope SC represents the SEC and beats Arizona in 2. SC beat the Hogs 2 out of 3 in Baum and 2 out of 3, under extreme duress, on neutral field. They are clearly the superior team and clearly possess a better coaching staff than the Hogs'.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.