Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rolling the dice with Gus (and Norvell)

Started by cjack, November 21, 2017, 02:18:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cjack

It seems to be that Gus and Norvell are the two most common names thrown out.  Personally, I'd like either one but I like the possibility of catching the perfect coach at the perfect time with Norvell.  He is a gamble because of experience and I get it.

My question on this thread and also why it's different from the 100 others is this.

We may or may not get Gus, but either way we have to wait.

IF we could announce Norvell as our new coach this weekend would the Gus or bust crowd be ok with it?  The way I see it, if we gamble everything on Gus and don't get him, I think Norvell is gone somewhere else. 

Two reasons for this.  Nobody likes to stand around kicking rocks and get to be the second choice, and if Norvell is going to a big time program his name won't get any hotter than it is this season.

So that's my question for the Gus is the clear #1 crowd.  Hypothetically take Norvell right now and lose out on the potential of Gus coming, or put everything on Gus coming and hope for the best if he doesn't?

(Also this is not a thread to argue over if these are the two best.  Most Gus guys seem to like Norvell also.  That's why I ask)
Woooo Pig Soooie!

JONAS

I want Norvell, but I have heard from Ole Miss fans that he is going there.   I hope not.

Dropkick

I doubt Norvell will be going to Ole Miss before they find out what the sanctions are.

PLHawg

Why on earth would a guy that's going to be as in demand as he's going to be go to Ole Miss?  The only way that happens is if they throw an absolute asinine amount of $ at him.  With the sanctions they're going to get, they're going to be dead in the water for the next 4 or 5 years, at least.

clutch

Quote from: PLHawg on November 21, 2017, 03:24:06 pm
Why on earth would a guy that's going to be as in demand as he's going to be go to Ole Miss?  The only way that happens is if they throw an absolute asinine amount of $ at him.  With the sanctions they're going to get, they're going to be dead in the water for the next 4 or 5 years, at least.

Yeah I just can't see that happening, at least not this soon. There's going to be too many good jobs available that his name will be high on their lists. You'd have to think if Ole Miss wants him, then they'd have to wait it out and hope that he was passed up by everyone else for some reason.

Wildhog

Ole Miss does provide a built-in "grace period."  Not going to be a lot of pressure to win immediately. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

clutch

Quote from: Wildhog on November 21, 2017, 03:28:32 pm
Ole Miss does provide a built-in "grace period."  Not going to be a lot of pressure to win immediately. 

That's the only positive I can see from that. I don't see a guy like him thinking he'd need that though. He's a pretty confident guy.

Calvin Swine

Quote from: JONAS on November 21, 2017, 02:52:55 pm
I want Norvell, but I have heard from Ole Miss fans that he is going there.   I hope not.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  Ole Miss is looking down the barrel of the NCAA.  Any self respecting coach wouldn't risk their upward trajectory to be saddled with a program with major sanctions.  Hard years ahead for Ole Miss.  If I were a fan I'd be trying to convince myself Norvell would be the next coach too. 

hawgdawg63

Don't worry about OM getting Norvell because neither he or Gus will be the coach of the Razorbacks. Look for a dark horse and around Dec 10-16.

HF#1

Quote from: hawgdawg63 on November 21, 2017, 03:36:00 pm
Don't worry about OM getting Norvell because neither he or Gus will be the coach of the Razorbacks. Look for a dark horse and around Dec 10-16.

Breaking news
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawgdawg63 on November 21, 2017, 03:36:00 pm

What time does Kiffin start?

woodrow hog call

Quote from: cjack on November 21, 2017, 02:18:55 pm
It seems to be that Gus and Norvell are the two most common names thrown out.  Personally, I'd like either one but I like the possibility of catching the perfect coach at the perfect time with Norvell.  He is a gamble because of experience and I get it.

My question on this thread and also why it's different from the 100 others is this.

We may or may not get Gus, but either way we have to wait.

IF we could announce Norvell as our new coach this weekend would the Gus or bust crowd be ok with it?  The way I see it, if we gamble everything on Gus and don't get him, I think Norvell is gone somewhere else. 

Two reasons for this.  Nobody likes to stand around kicking rocks and get to be the second choice, and if Norvell is going to a big time program his name won't get any hotter than it is this season.

So that's my question for the Gus is the clear #1 crowd.  Hypothetically take Norvell right now and lose out on the potential of Gus coming, or put everything on Gus coming and hope for the best if he doesn't?

(Also this is not a thread to argue over if these are the two best.  Most Gus guys seem to like Norvell also.  That's why I ask)

Good questions and interesting discussion. My take is this, Norvell knows Gus is our first choice, and he is our second. I have no sources on this, it is strictly my opinion, but if Norvell really wants this job he would be willing to wait a week or two and see how things play out.

My theory on the whole deal is, we have extended an offer to Gus, (verbally) and he has (verbally) accepted, again my own gut instincts no source no inside info.

I think our search committee will come up the person that is already lined up to become the new AD, and they will announce that after a national and thorough search, this is the person we have unanimously agreed upon to lead our athletic department. Then that person will go right to work on finding our next coach, and a week later Gus will be announced as the new head hog.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 21, 2017, 04:19:20 pm
Good questions and interesting discussion. My take is this, Norvell knows Gus is our first choice, and he is our second. I have no sources on this, it is strictly my opinion, but if Norvell really wants this job he would be willing to wait a week or two and see how things play out.

My theory on the whole deal is, we have extended an offer to Gus, (verbally) and he has (verbally) accepted, again my own gut instincts no source no inside info.

I think our search committee will come up the person that is already lined up to become the new AD, and they will announce that after a national and thorough search, this is the person we have unanimously agreed upon to lead our athletic department. Then that person will go right to work on finding our next coach, and a week later Gus will be announced as the new head hog.

That's how I see it. The wrench of course being an Auburn win Saturday.

GuvHog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 21, 2017, 04:19:20 pm

I don't buy that at all. I still say Norvell is the #1 target because they aren't going to pay 5+ Million a year to get Gus.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

woodrow hog call

Quote from: GuvHog on November 21, 2017, 04:28:01 pm
I don't buy that at all. I still say Norvell is the #1 target because they aren't going to pay 5+ Million a year to get Gus.

You could very well be right, or we could get him at less than the going rate with a contract that is heavily loaded toward the back end with LARGE incentive's for winning, at a high level.
Time will tell. Here's to the old saying; "May you live in interesting times".
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

ipigsooie

Quote from: GuvHog on November 21, 2017, 04:28:01 pm

I agree. But 5 years 30 million plus is 6 and that's even more inconceivable

davril98

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

davril98

"Only" 1 million for kiffin. He won't even be considered for most of the jobs open.