Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The secondary concerns me.

Started by cdhogfan, January 03, 2008, 10:03:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cdhogfan

I knew that we were in need of help back there, but I didnt quite realize this:

"And Arkansas' secondary will lose starters in cornerbacks Matterral Richardson and Michael Grant, as well as safeties Kevin Woods and Matt Hewitt." - taken from the Alex Abrams Article

Who is going to step up?

agr347

it's not like that secondary was too impressive anyways.   I think we will be ok
"Just remember, its not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza

DeltaBoy

Quote from: cdhogfan on January 03, 2008, 10:03:33 am

"And Arkansas' secondary will lose starters in cornerbacks Matterral Richardson and Michael Grant, as well as safeties Kevin Woods and Matt Hewitt." - taken from the Alex Abrams Article

Who is going to step up?

Trust Bobby we did not have much to start with so what we lose ain't much!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ashleyswine

Quote from: agr347 on January 03, 2008, 11:06:24 am
it's not like that secondary was too impressive anyway
you said a mouthful

dqhog33

HOG RED UMP

Who is going to step up?

hopefully, a coaching staff who teachs proper technique, multiple schemes, and maturity in behavior while on the field of play.
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

want2be

This is one area for sure that Petrino needs to hit a homerun in recruiting.

I know we haven't had much luck with JUCO's but it may need to be considered this year.

We have very little experience and depth is an issue.

Joe Johnson may be a candidate as a frosh who may be able to contribute

opineonswine

Backfield coaches have their work cut out for them.

opineonswine

And what about LB's?  We haven't had a good crop of those in awhile.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: opineonswine on January 03, 2008, 11:10:08 am
Backfield coaches have their work cut out for them.

They sure do since Louis left us for Ole Piss!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

cdhogfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 03, 2008, 11:07:22 am
Trust Bobby we did not have much to start with so what we lose ain't much!

Oh I trust him, I'm just not sure what kind of talent he will be able to get in here for next year.  Also, I actually thought the secondary improved a lot throughout the season.  Their play was actually pretty good in the CB.

CowHog

Unfortunately we are losing a lot of players, but atleast this means that all the up coming players start fresh especially in the secondary, no holdovers really from the old staff so the new players all have the same chance to play!

hog_fan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 03, 2008, 11:11:12 am

Miss state and he will be coaching LB's he told nutt no

Beaverfever

Yeah bottom line is when you are bad and you lose your players, it can't hurt.

ashleyswine

Louis is at Miss. St. now

opineonswine

Louis Campbell?  Nice man.  Loyal Razorback.  Did not coach the backfield in 2007.  Names I have seen for Petrino staff, with no disrespect to Campbell, look more qualified than him.  Oh, and he's going to MSU apparently...not Ole Miss.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: opineonswine on January 03, 2008, 11:13:51 am
Louis Campbell?  Nice man.  Loyal Razorback.  Did not coach the backfield in 2007.  Names I have seen for Petrino staff, with no disrespect to Campbell, look more qualified than him.  Oh, and he's going to MSU apparently...not Ole Miss.

Thanks I have been out a bit with the Holidays and the last I had read was Louis was going to Ole Piss

mike7156

IMO, we had decent players, we just had rotten coaches. Now we look like we will have some very good coaches. We have always recruited speed, now we have someone to theach them how to play. Things will get better.
True Heroes wear the uniform that serves this country proudly.

WilsonHog

Well, here is what we have right now:

LCB - Jerell Norton
        Jamar Love

SS -  Matt Harris

FS -  Rashaad Johnson
        Walner Leandre
        Dallas Washington

RCB - Shedrick Johnson
         Ramon Broadway

Elston Forte played linebacker this year, but he has played some strong safety in the past. Isaac Madison, Brett Harris, Jerry Franklin, and Greg Gatson all redshirted.

Lot of bodies. Guess we'll see how much ability. Our new secondary coach will have some work to do.

Mr. Hog

There's a new Sheriff in town Boys and his name is Bobby Petrino....give it some time.
Go Hogs Go!

softserve

Quote from: opineonswine on January 03, 2008, 11:10:44 am
And what about LB's?  We haven't had a good crop of those in awhile.

What have ya'll seen of Tim Dial?  He looked pretty good on paper last spring.  I was excited.
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

want2be

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 03, 2008, 11:20:16 am

LCB - Jerell Norton
        Jamar Love

SS -  Matt Harris

FS -  Rashaad Johnson
        Walner Leandre
        Dallas Washington

RCB - Shedrick Johnson
         Ramon Broadway

Elston Forte played linebacker this year, but he has played some strong safety in the past. Isaac Madison, Brett Harris, Jerry Franklin, and Greg Gatson all redshirted.

Lot of bodies. Guess we'll see how much ability. Our new secondary coach will have some work to do.

Has anyone heard that flanker, Coleman was being moved to Dback

HogFaninMemphis

Who is going to step up?
Hopefully Jerell Norton will be well-coached and evolve into a good solid corner.
I think he led the league in picks and was only a backup most of the games.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

memphishog

not to mention that who ever steps up will see a lot more balls in the air at practice. they will get a lot more reps covering receivers. and you know what everyone but allen iverson says about practice....

Hogdomer

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 03, 2008, 11:12:34 am
Yeah bottom line is when you are bad and you lose your players, it can't hurt.

Unless the players behind the "bad" starters are even worse.

want2be

Quote from: raginwildfire on January 03, 2008, 02:42:06 pm
Leandre did well in limited playing time...Rod Coleman's work ethic has cost him at Arkansas.  Loads of talent with poor attitude..

If that is true I doubt Petrino will put up with Coleman.........These guys with bad attitutes needs to get out now......

Lonnie Earl

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 03, 2008, 11:20:16 am

LCB - Jerell Norton
        Jamar Love

SS -  Matt Harris

FS -  Rashaad Johnson
        Walner Leandre
        Dallas Washington

RCB - Shedrick Johnson
         Ramon Broadway

CBx2 - Norton, Love, Broadway, Marcal Robinson, Joe Adams ;D

FS - R. Johnson, Khirry Battle, Leandre

SS - Leandre, Dallas Washington, Matt Harris, Khirry Battle

These are the best bets. IMO
Another area of concern should be the MLB and DT positions...

MLB - ??? We don't have a true MLB on campus. Matter of fact, we won't have a LB over 220 pounds.

DT - Big Ernest Mitchell is a stud. Other than him... Maybe Patrick Jones ???

Bobby Petrino has his work cut out for him trying to fill all the holes that Dale left on Defense.

LZH

Quote from: HOG RED UMP on January 03, 2008, 11:09:32 am

hopefully, a coaching staff who teachs proper technique, multiple schemes, and maturity in behavior while on the field of play.

Amen, brother.  That incomplete pass-sweeping-arm motion makes me wanna pull for the offense.

ListenHereMister

A. Davis will be a Junior next year.
And a solid SEC DE!!

want2be

Quote from: raginwildfire on January 03, 2008, 03:02:18 pm
Well...Coleman was always talked about during spring practices...never seen a lick of the field during the season...so what gives???

Davis and Fairchild are listed at 220 and should beef up this year

Lonnie Earl

Quote from: want2be on January 03, 2008, 03:15:57 pm

Davis and Fairchild are listed at 220 and should beef up this year
I take it you were trying to quote me, since you're talking about the LB's... ;)

Fairchild is our starting SLB. He's always been good at SLB and should stay there.

As far as Wendel Davis at MLB, He's a little undersized at 220 pounds. I'm sure he'll beef up, as you posted. However, that's just ONE MLB... ???  Absolutely no depth at all!

Bacon The Saddle Again

It sure would be nice to land Joe Adams for this very reason.  Also, this might be a great time to go in and pluck a JUCO player or two who wants to play in the SEC right away.  A couple of good secondary JUCO players would have every chance to play right away.

Where is Brandon Barnett? Any chance he could be moved to corner? Good speed, decent hands...if the Thomas and Curtis commits hold up, we'll be in good shape at RB.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: raginwildfire on January 03, 2008, 02:42:06 pm
Leandre did well in limited playing time...Rod Coleman's work ethic has cost him at Arkansas.  Loads of talent with poor attitude..

Nutt had it out for Coleman.  Rod considered transferring cause he knew he would never see the field under the current staff. FWIW.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

disGUSted

Good news, bad news scenario.....
Bad news...entire secondary leaving.
Good news? ...see above!
Problem was very poor coaching, ever notice how many players never seemed to improve under the old staff? I think those days are over! Go Hogs! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

want2be

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on January 03, 2008, 04:38:48 pm
Nutt had it out for Coleman.  Rod considered transferring cause he knew he would never see the field under the current staff. FWIW.

If that the case, I hope Petrino gives him a fresh start.....I remember when Nutt did the same thing to Dedrick Pool and he transferred

ezraboss

If we have to replace the entire secondary, we'll be better off. We've had lots of mediocrity, but it's over.

twistitup

It does not matter who is leaving....based on performance anyway
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Jellohawg

We never had a secondary since HDN was coach!  New day ahead with Bobby!

snoblind

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on January 03, 2008, 04:38:48 pm

Was he friends with GM, DW and MM?

Cheap shot I know but I couldn't resist.

TrumannRazorback24

Quote from: memphishog on January 03, 2008, 02:42:36 pm
not to mention that who ever steps up will see a lot more balls in the air at practice. they will get a lot more reps covering receivers. and you know what everyone but allen iverson says about practice....
Practice?! You wanna talk about practice?!  I don't wanna talk about practice!!

RaZoR LmO

Quote from: cdhogfan on January 03, 2008, 11:11:35 am
Oh I trust him, I'm just not sure what kind of talent he will be able to get in here for next year.  Also, I actually thought the secondary improved a lot throughout the season.  Their play was actually pretty good in the CB.

Mizzou didn't have to throw the ball when we make a mid level big 12 back look like the "should" have been hiesman. Our corners didn't have to cover anything.