Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you could choose our next coach, who would it be?

Started by Hogs49ers, September 17, 2017, 12:26:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Of the coaching options below, who would you choose to be the next Head Hog?

Brent Venables
23 (23.2%)
Mike Leach
6 (6.1%)
Jeff Brohm
34 (34.3%)
P.J. Fleck
11 (11.1%)
Mike Norvell
25 (25.3%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Hogs49ers

I tried to just put up options that seem somewhat realistic (No Gruden, sorry) and that have been mentioned around Hogville lately, however, if you do not see the coach you would like to see as the next Head Hog in the options do not freak out, but just comment within the thread with who you would like and why.

NOTE: I am all for supporting CBB as long as he is here and wish him success or any other Hog coach success while they are currently coaching for the Hogs. 
SCREW Vandy!

Porkchop#1

I'm gonna go with either Bill Bellichick or Nick Saban.  Farther down my list I have Hugh Frozen & HootN Nut.

Semohog

Hogs49ers

Quote from: mboot on September 17, 2017, 12:35:10 am
Brohm, Norvell, Venables, or Gundy.

I would take Gundy, what makes you think he would leave OSU though?
SCREW Vandy!

Semohog

That's why I put him last he is a long shot. Not like the normal Hogville long shot like Gruden or Chip Kelly. I'd take Vandys head coach Mason.

Semohog

When  we hired Beilema I said Dabo, Franklin, and Josh Mcdaniels and got ripped on here.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: mboot on September 17, 2017, 12:37:48 am
That's why I put him last he is a long shot. Not like the normal Hogville long shot like Gruden or Chip Kelly. I'd take Vandys head coach Mason.

I hear ya, I actually do think we can probably get more coaches from other conferences than some may think because just like CBB, most of these coaches from the BIG10, PAC, and ACC want that chance to coach at that highest level in the SEC.
SCREW Vandy!

Semohog

The SEC isn't the SEC anymore. We are not the best conference. Look at what other coaches get paid and what happened today.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: mboot on September 17, 2017, 12:45:48 am
The SEC isn't the SEC anymore. We are not the best conference. Look at what other coaches get paid and what happened today.

Yah well maybe, but you are looking at today and maybe this year, I am talking about the last 25+ years.
SCREW Vandy!

sickboy

Quote from: mboot on September 17, 2017, 12:45:48 am

Yeah. One weekend of college football just changed a decade of dominance. Sure.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Hogs49ers on September 17, 2017, 12:40:42 am
I hear ya, I actually do think we can probably get more coaches from other conferences than some may think because just like CBB, most of these coaches from the BIG10, PAC, and ACC want that chance to coach at that highest level in the SEC.
Yeah and Coach B will tell 'em that crap ain't all it's cracked up to be, stay where you're at.

Semohog

Outside of Alabama who has a prayer of winning the title? You are that guy who constantly chants SEC SEC when nobody in the conference has a prayer but Alabama

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 17, 2017, 12:51:19 am
Yeah and Coach B will tell 'em that crap ain't all it's cracked up to be, stay where you're at.

Haha you ain't kidding, Arkansas has got to be one of the toughest head coaching jobs in the country based on the recruiting level vs. expectations.
SCREW Vandy!

Hogs49ers

Quote from: mboot on September 17, 2017, 12:52:27 am
Outside of Alabama who has a prayer of winning the title? You are that guy who constantly chants SEC SEC when nobody in the conference has a prayer but Alabama

Again, we are not just talking about this year.
SCREW Vandy!

Semohog

Semohog

I am a die hard hogs fan and an SEC fan but facts are facts. The SEC East has been garbage since Tebow. THE west has had a good yr with Auburn and the BAMA has been carrying the load.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: mboot on September 17, 2017, 12:55:36 am
Who won the title last year and 3 years ago?

Hahaha, are you serious???  The SEC has won the National Championship 8 of the last 11 years.
SCREW Vandy!

Semohog

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Hogs49ers on September 17, 2017, 12:53:04 am
Haha you ain't kidding, Arkansas has got to be one of the toughest head coaching jobs in the country based on the recruiting level vs. expectations.
On the other hand, is it really so unreasonable to expect to have a kicker who can make point blank, extra point type field goals? 

It has been more than Coach Bielema could deliver on though. Just too high of expectations apparently.  We're crazy fans us Razorbackers.

I had figured out before this season that his ignoring the special teams was gonna come back and bite him in that big ole fat booty of his.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: mboot on September 17, 2017, 01:03:27 am
Let's talk about the last 3 yrs?

Why because that fits your agenda?  I am not denying that the SEC is down over the last few years, but for you to say that the SEC is still not the pinnacle conference of college athletics, then I think that is absolutely crazy talk.  And no, I am not one of the fans that chants SEC SEC SEC, I am just stating facts.
SCREW Vandy!

Porkchop#1

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 17, 2017, 01:05:34 am
On the other hand, is it really so unreasonable to expect to have a kicker who can make point blank, extra point type field goals? 

It has been more than Coach Bielema could deliver on though. Just too high of expectations apparently.  We're crazy fans us Razorbackers.

I had figured out before this season that his ignoring the special teams was gonna come back and bite him in that big ole fat booty of his.

No, that is not unreasonable expectations, but we are absolutely crazy fans lol
SCREW Vandy!

The Great Hambino

On this list. Brohm. Petrino ball has been shown that it can win here, regardless of level of recruited talent. Brohm is a Petrino guy, and the closest thing we'll get to that style.

Not of the list. Chip Kelly, We pay like a top 5 program so if we don't offer a top5 coach a nice compensation package, it really will be time to look for a new AD.

Semohog

Well we can live in the past if you like? We can talk about how the hogs once had 10 and 11 win seasons. I prefer to live in the present. My comments were that the SEC isn't what it used to be. Unless you are completely blind or have never wagered on a game you could see that. I'm talking about today, 2 yrs ago, or last year. Where are the studs outside of Alabama? If you prefer to go way back we can just act like Notre Dame and Michigan fans.

verticalhog

While I don't want Mike Leach, I would like to have someone from his coaching tree.  I think Oklahoma found a real diamond with Lincoln Riley and he learned from age 19 at the feet of Mike Leach.  Riley's not coming here but I would study all of his former assistants and find one there if possible.  If not, maybe someone from the Petrino tree.

The Great Hambino

Quote from: verticalhog on September 17, 2017, 01:35:54 am
While I don't want Mike Leach, I would like to have someone from his coaching tree.  I think Oklahoma found a real diamond with Lincoln Riley and he learned from age 19 at the feet of Mike Leach.  Riley's not coming here but I would study all of his former assistants and find one there if possible.  If not, maybe someone from the Petrino tree.

Quote from: The Great Hambino on September 17, 2017, 01:10:31 am
On this list. Brohm. Petrino ball has been shown that it can win here, regardless of level of recruited talent. Brohm is a Petrino guy, and the closest thing we'll get to that style.

Not of the list. Chip Kelly, We pay like a top 5 program so if we don't offer a top5 coach a nice compensation package, it really will be time to look for a new AD.

casken

Franklin from Penn State. He won at Vandy...has turned Penn State around from the pit in short order. He was my first choice when coach B was chosen.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

cypert2

Quote from: casken on September 17, 2017, 06:53:44 am
Franklin from Penn State. He won at Vandy...has turned Penn State around from the pit in short order. He was my first choice when coach B was chosen.
We got the same chance of Franklin leaving Penn St to come here as we have Saban leaving Bama to come here. Zero chance.
Swinging on the two and the four.

Broadway Rob

September 17, 2017, 07:44:54 am #29 Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:55:14 am by Broadway Rob
Quote from: casken on September 17, 2017, 06:53:44 am

Leave a top 10 job where he's extremely successful and could make the playoffs if the chips fall a certain way, to come to Arkansas, a top 30 job at best, where... ??? (I'll stop there)

The list above is of somewhat realistic candidates.  Except for Fleck.  He's not realistic for a few years at least.  Even then, he jumps to top 10 job if he's successful at Minn.  Notre Dame or Michigan, if Harbaugh goes back to the NFL.

I say Mike Norvell. 
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Hoggie17

The SEC is way down except for Alabama!  Nutt would win all the games, might motivates his players to even beat Alabama.

Broadway Rob

Top 5?  Beilema is the 17th highest paid coach in the country.  People talk like U of A has these buckets of gold coins sitting around just waiting to unload on the greatest of the great coaches. 

This myth that we have more money than almost everyone and should be able to pay for a better coach is silly.  Yes, the athletic department operates at a profit, where most do not.  But that's because they don't pay Harbaugh or Saban like money.  And that's just about what it would take to get Chip Kelly back into college. 

AND even if Long did empty the coffers, no way in hell does he come to Arkansas.  We would be laughed at for even offering, if the media found out. 

I think A&M (also a long shot) or Notre Dame if he comes back.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Laughing Hog

"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogs49ers on September 17, 2017, 12:26:08 am
I tried to just put up options that seem somewhat realistic (No Gruden, sorry) and that have been mentioned around Hogville lately, however, if you do not see the coach you would like to see as the next Head Hog in the options do not freak out, but just comment within the thread with who you would like and why.

NOTE: I am all for supporting CBB as long as he is here and wish him success or any other Hog coach success while they are currently coaching for the Hogs. 

Viable options..................How do you know what are viable options? I bet you were shocked when we hired Bobby and Bret yet we got them. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BigE_23

I don't understand why you people don't know the name Mike MacIntyre.

Went undefeated at San Jose State, and has turned Colorado (yes, Colorado) into a contender in the PAC-12

He's on the tier of experienced coaches we could land and outbid based on what he's getting paid now.

My second choice would be Brohm, and Norvell 3rd. But those are interchangeable

VBCHog

GUNDY GUNDY GUNDY. I have mullett dreams! The Arkansas Waterfall!!!

JaketheSnake

Quote from: VBCHog on September 17, 2017, 08:19:18 am
GUNDY GUNDY GUNDY. I have mullett dreams! The Arkansas Waterfall!!!
The turtle hunter himself

Inhogswetrust

September 17, 2017, 08:23:49 am #38 Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:34:48 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2017, 08:16:33 am

Went undefeated at San Jose State, and has turned Colorado (yes, Colorado) into a contender in the PAC-12

He's on the tier of experienced coaches we could land and outbid based on what he's getting paid now.

I commented on him in another thread. He looks to be a good coach. Took San Jose State to a bowl then went to CU. Hasn't done bad there either and that is not easy to do. Has turned them around and led them to a 10 win season his fourth year. FOUR years...............hmmmmmmmmmm.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

root_hawg

Petrino walked into a 5 star QB and an excellent state of Arkansas class, 5 star QBs are not walking through that door everyday

buldozer

I thought Memphis looked great beating UCLA last night, certainly raised Mike Norvell's stock in my mind.

Michael_E_Davis

Unfortunately,  We are probably going to miss out on Venables and Brohm.  After this season,  I think there are going to be a few head coaching positions opened in the SEC,  and we won't be one of them.  These teams will go after those coaches.  I have already heard talk about it.  A lot of them want Brohm,  including Auburn.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Ward on September 17, 2017, 08:26:32 am
We are too late on Fleck

His next move will be a top five program

Fleck's next move is something more Harley Bob like. 

longpig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 17, 2017, 08:23:49 am
I commented on him in another thread. He looks to be a good coach. Took San Jose State to a bowl then went to CU. Hasn't done bad there either and that is not easy to do. Has turned them around and led them to a 10 win season his fourth year. FOUR years...............hmmmmmmmmmm.

He ain't trading Boulder for Fayetteville.  Fayetteville is a great place as far as college towns go but it ain't Boulder.

Danny J

BigE_23

Quote from: root_hawg on September 17, 2017, 08:27:22 am
Petrino walked into a 5 star QB and an excellent state of Arkansas class, 5 star QBs are not walking through that door everyday

This is such a weak-ass argument...

WHY DID MALLETT WANT TO PLAY HERE? Bobby motherfrickin Petrino

WHO COACHED THOSE ARKANSAS RECEIVERS? see above

WHO WON 11 GAMES AS STARTER AT ARKANSAS? Tyler Wilson (4*)

Btw, where was he going prior to Petrino's hiring? Tulsa

Get over yourself and admit that Bobby deserves the credit for the incredible success we experienced from 2009-2011.

hawgmasta

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2017, 08:16:33 am

This guy and Mike Norvell is coming up quick.

toxichog

Someone who could go toe to toe with anybody recruiting the state of Texas........and hire two decent coordinators to do the coaching.
That's it.

Swestwill66

Brohm.He could turn it around quickly with the players we have.A coach with a completely new system would take too long. I'm getting old,running outta time!